Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Explain?

Astrazenica is 10% effective against the South African variant. Useless in other words. Pfizer and moderna are working on a new vaccine already that will be required next year as existing vaccines are expected to become less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

There are already multiple exemptions so why wouldn't they challenge it?

Government officials are exempt, elite sportspeople maybe too, the virus doesn't differentiate between those exempt or not.

Good on them for challenging it, they'll most likely win as there are too many holes in MHQ as seen by cases thrown out already.

Yes, what would we do if those elite sportspeople couldn’t play France at the weekend, the IRFU would be gutted.
    I suspect the laws have to be changed to allow Leinster play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jizique wrote: »
    Yes, what would we do if those elite sportspeople couldn’t play France at the weekend, the IRFU would be gutted.
    I suspect the laws have to be changed to allow Leinster play

So elite sportspeople are more important than people who are vaccinated and have a parent/family member in crisis?

Hmmm that shows you what is important.

NSAman wrote: »
    So elite sportspeople are more important than people who are vaccinated and have a parent/family member in crisis?

Hmmm that shows you what is important.

There's no evidence to suggest vaccination prevents you both getting and spreading the virus. In fact I think its recently been proven the opposite is true. Certainly that vaccinated people still test positive for the virus. There is nothing in the vaccine that would stop these people spreading the virus. The vaccine just makes their immune system capable of fighting it off. Meanwhile, while its in their system they are spreading it.

Sports has many positive benefits for a large percentage of the population. I know it has kept.me sane through all this thats for sure and millions, maybe billions, of other people.

1 couple going to collect their new born child. Of course there is nothing more important in their eyes but I'm sorry its harsh but it has no benefit for the wider population.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

There's no evidence to suggest vaccination prevents you both getting and spreading the virus. In fact I think its recently been proven the opposite is true. Certainly that vaccinated people still test positive for the virus. There is nothing in the vaccine that would stop these people spreading the virus. The vaccine just makes their immune system capable of fighting it off. Meanwhile, while its in their system they are spreading it.

Not disagreeing with you but if they were so concerned about carrying the virus, surely vaccinated people would not be exempt?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1382767864852189188?s=20

• Advertisement

Not disagreeing with you but if they were so concerned about carrying the virus, surely vaccinated people would not be exempt?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1382767864852189188?s=20

Right, well here we go the government is starting to capitulate. I hope this doesn't end up being a big mistake. The data and evidence is constantly changing so I really do hope there is a scientific reason for this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Right, well here we go the government is starting to capitulate. I hope this doesn't end up being a big mistake. The data and evidence is constantly changing so I really do hope there is a scientific reason for this.

As do I, I think we're on different sides of the fence here but I'm fully convinced there is no scientific reason for it and they do make it up as they go along.

Sports has many positive benefits for a large percentage of the population. I know it has kept.me sane through all this thats for sure and millions, maybe billions, of other people.

1 couple going to collect their new born child. Of course there is nothing more important in their eyes but I'm sorry its harsh but it has no benefit for the wider population.

So a group of men, being in close contact to each other is MORE safe than a vaccinated person who has been isolating at home.... that makes sense ok...

I also like film, but have to watch re-runs on TV as the new stuff is all postponed at the end of the day..... can you not just watch old Sport clips?

Astrazenica is 10% effective against the South African variant. Useless in other words. Pfizer and moderna are working on a new vaccine already that will be required next year as existing vaccines are expected to become less effective.
    The vaccine was shown to protect against against servere illness/death despite lower levels of observed effectivity in the research you refer to which was not peer reviewed...but that is not the narrative that you are trying to push, is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

The European Commission is examining our mandatory hotel quarantine regulations with a view to initiating infringement procedings if they aren't amended to make them more transparent and less arbitrary. In addition, the Commission has requested the Government outline other policy avenues it examined which do not breach the fundamental freedoms of EU citizens, and explain why they were rejected.

Austria, Belgium, France, Luxembourg and Italy have lodged complaints regarding the mistreatment of their nationals and will raise it jointly at EU Council level.

I hope the government are forced into a humiliating climb down. MHQ is repugnant to the Irish constitution, EU freedom of movement and is bananas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Of course vaccinated people are less likely to spread the virus. The sicker you are the more infectious you are generally, This has always been 'common knowledge'.

Hence why Asymptomatics are 25 times less likely to spread the infection than Symptomatics.

The vaccine was shown to protect against against servere illness/death despite lower levels of observed effectivity in the research you refer to which was not peer reviewed...but that is not the narrative that you are trying to push, is it.
    I think I'm being very clear what "narrative im trying to push". Everyone coming into the county should have to quarantine in order to stop the spread of the virus. You seem to be suggesting there is some sort of hidden message in my argument? Come on so lets have it. Let me guess, I'm a racist trump loving Nazi?

Of course vaccinated people are less likely to spread the virus. The sicker you are the more infectious you are generally, This has always been 'common knowledge'.

Hence why Asymptomatics are 25 times less likely to spread the infection than Symptomatics.
    Surely you can identify agenda driven posting when you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

This is, at best, misleading. Back up this opinion to me via PM and dont post here in the meantime.

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

This is, at best, misleading. Back up this opinion to me via PM and dont post here in the meantime.
    He even rounded down from 10.9% to 10 rather than up to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The European Commission is examining our mandatory hotel quarantine regulations with a view to initiating infringement procedings if they aren't amended to make them more transparent and less arbitrary. In addition, the Commission has requested the Government outline other policy avenues it examined which do not breach the fundamental freedoms of EU citizens, and explain why they were rejected.

Austria, Belgium, France, Luxembourg and Italy have lodged complaints regarding the mistreatment of their nationals and will raise it jointly at EU Council level.

Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think I'm being very clear what "narrative im trying to push". Everyone coming into the county should have to quarantine in order to stop the spread of the virus. You seem to be suggesting there is some sort of hidden message in my argument? Come on so lets have it. Let me guess, I'm a racist trump loving Nazi?

Part of it is the 'AZ only offers 10% protection against the SA variant' is from very tiny research and loose methods, but yet is said with such sureness it's almost made out to be fully true? It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Its not clear either way. Vaccinations are likely to provide protection and make it less likely to pass it on (if it works like other vaccines). It doesn't mean someone couldn't carry it into the country.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Its not clear either way. Vaccinations are likely to provide protection and make it less likely to pass it on (if it works like other vaccines). It doesn't mean someone couldn't carry it into the country.

I don't know how many times this has to be said but if the infected aren't shedding, they aren't transmitting.
    "it's not clear either way"; seed doubt, seed fear. I see the tactic.

I think I'm being very clear what "narrative im trying to push". Everyone coming into the county should have to quarantine

except:

People travelling for urgent medical reasons
    People arriving who have a mandatory legal obligation, for example, an arrest warrant or an extradition order
    Gardaí or defence forces carrying out their duties
    Diplomats or elected representatives carrying out essential functions
    Transit passenger who do not leave the port or airport
    International transport workers in defined essential supply chain roles
    Elite Sports Individuals (because they have a match coming up)

in order to stop the spread of the virus. You seem to be suggesting there is some sort of hidden message in my argument? Come on so lets have it. Let me guess, I'm a racist trump loving Nazi?

Fixed that for you correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Is it there any coincidence that numbers of covid cases are falling and outbreaks are falling since the mandatory quarantine has come in?

Just wondering

Is it there any coincidence that numbers of covid cases are falling and outbreaks are falling since the mandatory quarantine has come in?

Just wondering

Or could it be that vaccinations figures have an impact? Hmmmmmmmm

1100 people in MHQ or a few thousand vaccinations a day.......Hmmmmm

I wonder!

Just wondering
    based on historic transmission rates the link would be tenuous at best.

Just wondering

Maybe. But to be fair and it's against my arguments I'd say it both the vaccine roll outs and less seeding from outside the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Just wondering

Nailed it. Nothing to do with the 1m shots gone into peoples arms or the level 5 lockdown or the .25m people who already had covid

Thankfully you are not alone in that opinion.

Its ok Saab we don't all think he is a racist Trumpeteer.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I hope the government are forced into a humiliating climb down. MHQ is repugnant to the Irish constitution, EU freedom of movement and is bananas.

Pure hyperbole.

You are looking to run with defence against an insult which was never hurled in the first place.

• Advertisement

You are looking to run with defence against an insult which was never hurled in the first place.

Just clarifying that I don't think he is as he describes himself... is that so bad?

Advertisement