Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pretty sure that's not hotel quarantine. Just mandatory quarantine that a few EU countries have already being using and only 5 days with a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Donnelly should publish his legal advice on this internment process.

What gets me is that he thinks this is something to be proud of. The only reason this was brought in was because of the hysteria around that Joe Duffy programme, a couple of dozen people making a lot of noise about a few people in the Canaries. And this is how policy is determined these days, the squeaky wheel, who makes the most noise. I actually heard Regina Doherty saying that “ the people wanted MHQ and so we’ve given it to them”. Right.

I hope the silent majority absolute annihilate FG, FF and SF at the next election.I will vote for Coco the clown before I’ll vote for any of them. I’m in north Dublin with thousands all around reliant on the aviation industry and there hasn’t been a squeak from any of our TDS about this. It’s getting scary now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A poll recently showed large majority support for MHQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

That is a sensible policy. They are not using the army to frog march children into internment camps.

The major gripe with MHQ is many family’s have homes that they could isolate in but are not allowed to.

saabsaab wrote: »

The general public had no problem with the Magdalene laundries either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

hamburgham wrote: »
    What gets me is that he thinks this is something to be proud of. The only reason this was brought in was because of the hysteria around that Joe Duffy programme, a couple of dozen people making a lot of noise about a few people in the Canaries. And this is how policy is determined these days, the squeaky wheel, who makes the most noise. I actually heard Regina Doherty saying that “ the people wanted MHQ and so we’ve given it to them”. Right.

I hope the silent majority absolute annihilate FG, FF and SF at the next election.I will vote for Coco the clown before I’ll vote for any of them. I’m in north Dublin with thousands all around reliant on the aviation industry and there hasn’t been a squeak from any of our TDS about this. It’s getting scary now.

yea hes proud as punch....like when your dog comes in and plonks a dead rat on the floor thinking hes best in class....the problem is theres no alternative to these 3 partys really...sinn fein have been a real let down in all this and shown their true colours...never ever getting my vote again along with fianna fail

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Wonderful! pot and Kettle anyone?

Two differences:
    - AFAIK it is not hotel quarantine, so that is basically the same as what has been place for a year in Ireland (home quarantine) except that they have a PCR test after 5 days

- Italy : all eu countries have to restrict their movement. Portual: all countries with an incidence rate > 500. Ireland : we are not going to disclose any criteria and then act surprised if somebody asks for clarification. I am pretty sure that if Donnelly disclosed the criteria when asked the EU would not have expressed any concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Valhallapt wrote: »

Thank fvck they saw sense.

I know it's hard to understand.

Thank god they are looking out for the most vulnerable for a change instead of quarantining them from the community and giving away their babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Martin saying 'MHQ can't be medium term' on tv there., saying he hopes it's superceded by European integration this summer.

Good, unless he means it has to be long term :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

zebastein wrote: »
    Two differences:
    - AFAIK it is not hotel quarantine, so that is basically the same as what has been place for a year in Ireland (home quarantine) except that they have a PCR test after 5 days

- Italy : all eu countries have to restrict their movement. Portual: all countries with an incidence rate > 500. Ireland : we are not going to disclose any criteria and then act surprised if somebody asks for clarification. I am pretty sure that if Donnelly disclosed the criteria when asked the EU would not have expressed any concern

A Brexit mentality now rife in Ireland. Facts don't matter.

We're on the road now to leaving the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Stevie Donnelly's hotel quarantine is a complete shambles and is hugely damaging to the country. Is it worth embarrassing the country for a few mentions on Twitter Stevie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Corholio wrote: »
    Martin saying 'MHQ can't be medium term' on tv there., saying he hopes it's superceded by European integration this summer.

Good, unless he means it has to be long term :P

I’d say he hasn’t a bulls notion what he means.....and he’ll probably have a different take on it next week,depending on what someone important in the EU has to say about it between now and then....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

zebastein wrote: »
    Two differences:

And a third difference. The measure is only in place for 28 days. It was introduced to curb non essential travel at Easter and help control rising domestic rates

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why would anyone care what 1 polish person thinks of MHQ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ara here.
    What a ridiculous comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

20silkcut wrote: »
    Dr David nbarro is saying pretty much that in today’s independent. That variants beat the vaccines. Basically the vaccine is useless without border control. Pretty depressing read. He is talking in terms of years before we get on top of this. The virus is currently surging on a global scale.

On that basis it appears contradictory to allow vaccinated people exemptions from MHQ?
    If MHQ is to counter variants, and variants may evade vaccines why allow any exemptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    On that basis it appears contradictory to allow vaccinated people exemptions from MHQ?
    If MHQ is to counter variants, and variants may evade vaccines why allow any exemptions?

Why allow any travel what-so-ever? Lock the whole world up!

Keep everyone locked in doors for 15 days, under Marshall law, that way the world would be rid of this for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The European Commission is examining our mandatory hotel quarantine regulations with a view to initiating infringement procedings if they aren't amended to make them more transparent and less arbitrary. In addition, the Commission has requested the Government outline other policy avenues it examined which do not breach the fundamental freedoms of EU citizens, and explain why they were rejected.

Austria, Belgium, France, Luxembourg and Italy have lodged complaints regarding the mistreatment of their nationals and will raise it jointly at EU Council level.

And I have no doubt that any other EU Country (think of Germany, Spain, Poland...) will also lodge complaints, when added to the list.

You can’t get a MHQ exemption for funerals, busting dying relatives, for access arrangements to children, but you can get exemptions for elite sports. Says it all.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2021/0415/1210187-hotel-quarantine-exemption-for-elite-athletes-confirmed/

I fully expect many of the people detained in MHQ to start legal action and seek damages against the state. I would imagine we’ll have yet another state compensation scheme.

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    And I have no doubt that any other EU Country (think of Germany, Spain, Poland...) will also lodge complaints, when added to the list.

There is a vote on eu wide covid passports on the 28th of April. It’s likely MHQ will end then, that’s why Micheal Martin says it’s not a medium term solution.

hamburgham wrote: »
    I think we should contact the Italian embassy to thank them for expressing the views of a huge number of Irish people who are being completely ignored by their supposed public representatives who are afraid to open their mouths.

Better again write to the french ambassador and ask him to encourage port workers in Dunkirk to do some very thorough check on rules of origin of vessels with farm produce coming from Ireland. When the farmers loose a few million they don’t waste time letting the government know it’s best to change course.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a vote on eu wide covid passports on the 28th of April. It’s likely MHQ will end then, that’s why Micheal Martin says it’s not a medium term solution.
    The hotel contract and legislation I believe remain in effect until June.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Dr David nbarro is saying pretty much that in today’s independent. That variants beat the vaccines. Basically the vaccine is useless without border control. Pretty depressing read. He is talking in terms of years before we get on top of this. The virus is currently surging on a global scale.
    Did he really say vaccines are useless? The border control claim is untrue anyway, it'll still get in and you need all the other measures to control it. TBH he knows about as much as the rest of us about what will happen. It's also a very, very limited perspective. You can respect his expertise but some of these experts really should learn when to shut up.

The Wexford MHQ is being set up in may. MHQ will continue till at least September or December for eu countries and probably till next summer for rest of world.

faceman wrote: »
    The Wexford MHQ is being set up in may. MHQ will continue till at least September or December for eu countries and probably till next summer for rest of world.

I can’t see the eu allowing it to drag on like that. It may well continue for some parts of the world but there will be a centrally agreed eu list of res zones

I can’t see the eu allowing it to drag on like that. It may well continue for some parts of the world but there will be a centrally agreed eu list of res zones

The EU is only interested in EU countries. If the government backs out of MHQ prematurely the public will revolt.

The EU is only interested in EU countries. If the government backs out of MHQ prematurely the public will revolt.

The USA and the UK will be fully vaccinated by August (assuming no roadblocks). And they’re be some kind of EU travel system.

How much of our travel will be exempt therefore from MHQ? I don’t know the number, but a lot. 75 - 80%?

Not if we have very few cases and plenty vaccinated. They can claim it worked. It's unlikely to follow the extended time frame you imagine though and the EU will kick up quite a stink if we try.

• Advertisement

Advertisement