Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

It’s horribly ugly that people aren’t following guidelines when there are people’s lives at stake, no matter how under the illusion you are that they all are.

Going to the pub isn't against the guidance is it? At least last time I checked.

If people aren't isolating after returning from another country and people aren't doing it, that should be given legal effect. In the UK the quarantine restrictions have legal effect and fines. What is the penalty for not isolating in Ireland? If none perhaps that is something to look into. If it isn't being enforced that is something to look into.

The point is - talk to those who have the agency to change things instead of berating people for doing things which they have a legal entitlement to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    close the ****ing borders,,,,,,how hard is that to do ? people in this country going out of their way to do the right thing, the government banging on about social distancing, doing the right thing yet the government keep the airports open, meaning that it is pointless people already in Ireland following the guidelines as people entering the country and going where they like makes everything we are doing to kill the virus null and void...... They are talking about closing up the restaurants and pubs yet keep the airports open.........****ing madness, these politicians are ****ing idiots...........

We cannot keep our borders closed for ever. Do you want us to close our borders for 5 years until a vaccine? People are getting hysterical about this. The cases they expected never materialised. If you are not very elderly or with underlying conditions you have no risk. By all means stay at home if you are worried but the rest of us need to get back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Going to the pub isn't against the guidance is it? At least last time I checked.

It is actually pubs are currently closed. Only restaurants are open and some pubs have been operating as restaurants and not following the rules.

GarIT wrote: »
    It is actually pubs are currently closed. Only restaurants are open and some pubs have been operating as restaurants and not following the rules.

That's news to me, because I thought pubs were allowed to open provided they served food and people left in 105 minutes. I'm not sure why 105 minutes is a magic number, but that was the guidance I heard coming out of Ireland most recently.

If pubs aren't following the rules that should be enforced. The problem seems to be in all of these areas that the guidance doesn't have legal effect and therefore there is limited amounts that the authorities can do.

Hence why I would say, the discussion needs to be had with those with agency to change the laws.

wellwhynot wrote: »
    We cannot keep our borders closed for ever. People are getting hysterical about this. The cases they expected never materialised. If you are not very elderly or with underlying conditions you have no risk.

Why can't we? People survived for thousands of years before planes existed. Let cargo in and out but not people.

The number of cases expected not materialising is down to the lockdown, it was successful.

3 in every thousand dead among completely healthy people isn't good. And we shouldn't condem the vlunerable to die either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I think they should make it mandatory to download an app upon entry that tracks the movement of their phone and provides location updates to the Covid 19 app that we have - if you have 'privacy issues' then dont fly

That's news to me, because I thought pubs were allowed to open provided they served food and people left in 105 minutes. I'm not sure why 105 minutes is a magic number, but that was the guidance I heard coming out of Ireland most recently.

If they serve food aka, if they have the appropriate licencing to be considered a restaurant

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

From speaking to people in Austria, only one knew someone with the virus. Her aunt, who worked in a care home in Germany. She didn't feel sick and her husband who contracted it from her didn't feel any symptoms. 3 people in the care home died, but she said they were in the last month's of there lives anyway.

99.9% of the population will be fine. Isolate the 0.1 and let the country move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

We cannot keep our borders closed for ever. Do you want us to close our borders for 5 years until a vaccine? People are getting hysterical about this. The cases they expected never materialised. If you are not very elderly or with underlying conditions you have no risk. By all means stay at home if you are worried but the rest of us need to get back to work.

It makes sense to close the borders to High risk countries. The Unites States is one of those countries. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but not JUST elderly people are being affected by this virus. Also people who have recovered are still having effects LONG after having recovered... blood clots, lung issues, renal issues and headaches....while not proven, we still do not know the long term affects of this virus.

By all means I think people should go back to work (I am) but they should also have all precautions taken to protect themselves and others.

Bringing people in from a country, that does not know the meaning of social distancing, does not have a unified approach to virus management, and most of all has sky rocketing infection rates is utterly crazy!!

This is not anti-American (I live here) it is a basic safety issue. Once things have quietened down/found a vaccine/medication, then fine open the borders to regular tourism. Currently, IMHO tourism should not be happening... the same as the States banning ALL foreigners without a green card or a citizen from getting INTO the States.

Limpy wrote: »
    From speaking to people in Austria, only one knew someone with the virus. Her aunt, who worked in a care home in Germany. She didn't feel sick and her husband who contracted it from her didn't feel any symptoms. 3 people in the care home died, but she said they were in the last month's of there lives anyway.

99.9% of the population will be fine. Isolate the 0.1 and let the country move on.

Now this attitude is what creates a division and is the main reason I’ll never do a single thing to help another person again. “**** them and let them die, I’ll be fine and I want a holiday”. Charming, really shows up what people are these days.

• Advertisement

Now this attitude is what creates a division and is the main reason I’ll never do a single thing to help another person again. “**** them and let them die, I’ll be fine and I want a holiday”. Charming, really shows up what people are these days.

The best thing you can do is stay home.

Meanwhile people who know they won't get covid19 can do as they wish once the science says its ok. Social distancing, mask's, hand sanitizer.

Getting a bus to another city in Ireland is the same as being on a flight. Just because someone is a foreigner does not mean they have covid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Meanwhile people who know they won't get covid19 can do as they wish once the science says its ok.

How do people know this?

The best thing you can do is stay home.

Meanwhile people who know they won't get covid19 can do as they wish once the science says its ok. Social distancing, mask's, hand sanitizer.

Getting a bus to another city in Ireland is the same as being on a flight. Just because someone is a foreigner does not mean they have covid.

If someone knows they won't get it they need to see a mental health professional for their delusions. Anyone can get it. And more importantly anyone can spread it.

Busses don't rely on recycled air, they aren't that difference but I'm not promoting tourism within Ireland either.

I'm sure you've heard of statistics. Nobody has said that someone has it just because they are a foreigner. They have said that we should prevent people who have a higher chance of having it. From entering the country.

To clarify I mean travel to Countries with similar levels per million to Ireland. I am confident I won't get Covid19 in Ireland so any similar countries I have the same confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

To clarify I mean travel to Countries with similar levels per million to Ireland. I am confident I won't get Covid19 in Ireland so any similar countries I have the same confidence.

Well thats incredibly naive, nobody should be confident of anything of the kind and we should all keep wearing masks and socially distancing as much as possible until an effective treatment or vaccine is readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Why can't we? People survived for thousands of years before planes existed. Let cargo in and out but not people.

The number of cases expected not materialising is down to the lockdown, it was successful.

3 in every thousand dead among completely healthy people isn't good. And we shouldn't condem the vlunerable to die either.

Yes that will work very well, let’s annihilate our tourism industry for the foreseeable. Let’s just all claim the dole forever. Companies won’t be happy if their staff cannot travel for work. Google how many healthy people drop dead every week and the figure will be the same.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well thats incredibly naive, nobody should be confident of anything of the kind and we should all keep wearing masks and socially distancing as much as possible until an effective treatment or vaccine is readily available.

You should stay at home. If your worried.

I am not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What a dumb attitude.

Should we keep our borders closed for another 5 years, another 10? Maybe we could seal the border with Nordieland while we're at it?

Lads like yourself need to step away from social media- whipping yerselves into a hysterical frenzy over a virus that poses fcuk all risk to the average person can't be a healthy way to spend your time.

There'll be a lot more than 3 dead every thousand if people like you dictated the policy. By all means continue to reside in your fear-cave but stop trying to impose your stupid notions on the rest of society.

I was in Switzerland a few days ago. I speak French and listened to the radio there to get a sense of what people were thinking. There is no quarantine there for EU / UK arrivals, though Americans are banned from entering.

Infections are ticking up from what had been very low levels, but what strikes me compared to Ireland is the lack of hysteria about tourists. They have the attitude that this is here to stay and that they have to get on with things. The Irish response to all of this just seems hysterical in contrast...we seem to have lost all sense of reason, on both sides

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Infections are ticking up from what had been very low levels, but what strikes me compared to Ireland is the lack of hysteria about tourists.
    From speaking with a friend in Germany, it seems people there also aren't freaking out if people are holidaying in (now) low-risk areas such as Italy and France.
    I wonder if it's more common in island nations (which we're not quite) for this mentality? Certainly seems evident in New Zealand and definitely in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Companies won’t be happy if their staff cannot travel for work.

I don't think they will care much to be honest. Big companies tend to be risk averse so would say alot of them still have many employees working from home when they can let alone jetting around the world.

It is not all or nothing anyway [or shouldn't be] ("ban" all the travellers from countries with high infection rates vs do nothing at all or keep the current lax setup with little to no enforcement).

If we had tougher restrictions in place + they still really need to be here they can come + be under a quarantine in a specific location [or whereabouts being monitored].

Maybe we'd be able to shorten 14 day period with paid Coronavirus testing facilities in place for people coming in?

If they are coming here from US/Brazil or the likes for a few days to hob-nob at a meeting etc then IMO they should stay home & do that over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think a lot of Europe is not allowing US tourists in. I think most of the panic here is about the US which is much higher risk then European tourists which have had similar approaches to us and similar low numbers of infections.

So maybe they have less panic as they have less to panic about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

VinLieger wrote: »

And wrap ourselves up in cotton wool!!

Thank god we aren't this bad. Sport training is back, no social distancing there or masks. We got to get on with things within the guidelines we have.

Could be waiting 4 years for vaccine

I was in Switzerland a few days ago. I speak French and listened to the radio there to get a sense of what people were thinking. There is no quarantine there for EU / UK arrivals, though Americans are banned from entering.

Infections are ticking up from what had been very low levels, but what strikes me compared to Ireland is the lack of hysteria about tourists. They have the attitude that this is here to stay and that they have to get on with things. The Irish response to all of this just seems hysterical in contrast...we seem to have lost all sense of reason, on both sides

I visited restaurants and chatted with the locals, people Just want to get back to the new Normal. When leo came out with his big original speech it was like Independence day. People have been rattled since. This virus is probably here to stay forever. A vaccine might kill people due to side affects. Then you'll have an anti vax group. The list goes on.

I'd argue in many ways that this thread is a microcosm of this. I think the best way is a data driven approach that is based on results in terms of curbing the spread of the virus.

I'm in support of banning flights from high risk countries. I'm even in favour of encouraging people not to travel for non-essential reasons, but my objection is in the process of reasoning. Jumping to conclusions based on anecdotes isn't a firm basis for legislating.

The same with let's drop all restrictions now because it'll only kill old people logic or reasoning based on it didn't cause my mate any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think a lot of Europe is not allowing US tourists in. I think most of the panic here is about the US which is much higher risk then European tourists which have had similar approaches to us and similar low numbers of infections.

So maybe they have less panic as they have less to panic about.

Yeah sure, that's this week's hysteria.

Back at the start it was the Italian rugby fans, then Cheltenham, next came the joggers and cyclists who were outside of their 2km zones, it moved onto the groups of teens not social-distancing and segwayed into face-masks for a while.

Now there's a Texan bogeyman coughing behind all of them and a English-reg car in their rear-view mirror.

I'm sure next month they'll have something else to whip themselves into a froth over.

There will never be an end to it for most of them, they'll always find some reason why the restrictions have to remain in place. They are paralyzed by their own fears and dress it up as 'protecting the vulnerable' to try and make themselves feel better.

They will need to be faced down by the rest of us if we want to have a society, never mind a tourism industry, left at the end of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Why are we letting US flights even land here?
    It was OK for Donald Trump to say no flights from Europe - who cares if a few plane fulls of fat yanks can't get here for a while?
    If we don't stop this, we will be back to square 1 and beyond.
    Maybe this point has already been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why are we letting US flights even land here?
    It was OK for Donald Trump to say no flights from Europe - who cares if a few plane fulls of fat yanks can't get here for a while?
    If we don't stop this, we will be back to square 1 and beyond.
    Maybe this point has already been made.

Oh the point has been made alright. And they have been called fat on many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think most of the panic here is about the US which is much higher risk then European tourists which have had similar approaches to us and similar low numbers of infections.

Yes. Speaking for myself I'm not "panicking" about it, but the govt.'s whole approach to travel since April, taking things on trust with people coming into the country & not discriminating between different countries worries me. I think it is quite risky. Should have gone with what most of the EU seem to be doing imo even if it is hard politically due to our relationships with the US and UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

ixoy wrote: »
    From speaking with a friend in Germany, it seems people there also aren't freaking out if people are holidaying in (now) low-risk areas such as Italy and France.
    I wonder if it's more common in island nations (which we're not quite) for this mentality? Certainly seems evident in New Zealand and definitely in Australia.

Well seeing as they’re not going to be flying anywhere, it’s obviously not as risky.

Advertisement