Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

TheTruth21 wrote: »
    Prime Tiime also had one and it had similar results to Claire Byrne.

Its here and should be extended to all countries. I still cant visit my parents who are across the country and some gob****es getting botox done is free to come and go as they please, do me a favour

So because the government won't let you see your parents because of ridiculous distance restrictions you support a policy that clearly makes life worse for a lot of people in this country? Maybe you should be angry at the government instead of lashing out with straw men. For all the noise made about "gob****es getting botox" the reality is that this policy is an onerous burden on the literally hundreds of thousands of immigrants living in this country who periodically have valid reasons to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Blut2 wrote: »
    The poll on Claire Byrne's show was of her audience...it wasn't in any way, shape, or form a legitimate representation of the views of the electorate.

I could have a poll of the members of my household and offer up the results of that - 100% in favour of removing MHQ - with almost as much statistical legitimacy.

I'd say she'd have a fair slice of the sane and rational people in the country listening to her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ShadowTech wrote: »
    So because the government won't let you see your parents because of ridiculous distance restrictions you support a policy that clearly makes life worse for a lot of people in this country? Maybe you should be angry at the government instead of lashing out with straw men. For all the noise made about "gob****es getting botox" the reality is that this policy is an onerous burden on the literally hundreds of thousands of immigrants living in this country who periodically have valid reasons to travel.

We all have valid reasons to travel doesn't mean we should.

faceman wrote: »
    With all due respect Saabx2, while I disagree with your views I’ve respected your perspective. However the past couple of days you’ve taken a turn and seem to be taking all this rather personal

Seems like you need a holiday. Somewhere sunny? :p

The room isn’t split between pro and anti MHQ btw, it’s ok to be somewhere in between. Same goes for pro and anti travel.

I would love a holiday but not now. Bye the way some have been making more personal attacks here to quote just one example..

'Report him as he will continue to pollute the thread with misinformation which many will take at face value and many will have to spend much time disentangling truth from misinformation'

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

saabsaab wrote: »
    We all have valid reasons to travel doesn't mean we should.

Caring for a family member would generally fall under the category of "essential" even within the current travel restrictions within the country. Creating financial difficulties for people in the same position who must travel abroad to do so is discriminatory at best. Furthermore a number of posters here attempt to present all travel as "tourism" which is a transparent attempt to downplay the seriousness of this awful policy.

• Advertisement

Looks like we’ll see detail of the exemption system pretty soon. From IT.

“New regulations to put the exemption system in place may be signed as soon as Friday evening, or over the weekend. The system may be adjusted as more universally recognised ways of verifying vaccinations across different jurisdictions, such as the European Digital Green Certificate, come on-stream.”

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

So we're the only country in Europe to close construction, and the only country in Europe to bring in MHQ. The government are really trying their best to ruin the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Aph2016 wrote: »
    So we're the only country in Europe to close construction, and the only country in Europe to bring in MHQ. The government are really trying their best to ruin the economy.
    Didn't Britain bring this in or did I imagine it:)

UDAWINNER wrote: »

Yes they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

They left the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Look at any poll in the last few months and there was overwhelming support for it, why do you think the govt brought it in, because it was unpopular:)

There hasn’t been any meaningful debate for it.

If the q was : do you support the Catholic Church using their resources to help out poor single mothers with babies- well who wouldn’t support that????

Everybody wants to reduce covid, and on first inspection forcing people to quarantine doesn’t sound so bad. But if people knew the true story they wouldn’t support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

They left the EU.
    But still in Europe which is what I was quoting

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A couple of reminders

Act civilly towards each other or do not post

If you feel it necessary to report something then please do so - do not state you have done in thread - it's for mods to decide on any action required, not you so leave the modding to the mods

A number of off topic posts deleted

But still in Europe which is what I was quoting

Yes but I think there is a cross over in this conversation with Europe as in the continent with Europe as in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

NI is introducing MHQ when flights resume from outside the common travel area for anyone who was in a red listed country. 10 days in Hotel.

Have you read any of them?

Why would I waste my time looking for unspecified studies that claim border controls don't work, while living in a country with zero-Covid due to border controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

This is a great example of the mess you get when you don’t have a strategy. I see three sort of strategic approaches

1). Zero covid or zero new variants
    2) Minimal restrictions
    3) some risk based approach in the middle

I think we were aiming for 3 for a long time but now are flirting with 1 but don’t really want to commit to it, exempting athletes, not tracking and tracing etc. plus isolating domestic cases. Ultimately it means MHQ will be painful and achieve nothing. If you spent half this effort on test and trace you would cut the spread of far more cases. I think Donnelly just got desperate because everyone saw he was doing a terrible job and he just went for the biggest, loudest bang action that he expected to be popular.

If he wanted my advice PCR test all arrivals, no additional restrictions if negative. MHQ for no test or a positive case. Antigen test everyone in Ireland that wants one over a week, PCR test the positives and enforce home quarantine for them. Reopen almost everything and repeat once a month. If a significant minority refuse mandatory antigen tests then make them mandatory for entry to bars shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

We are the laughing stock in Europe in all of this, quite a lot of countries have this 2 week system already listing what is the rules for the two weeks immediately ahead, i have travelled and there is an boarding-pass type document that is scanned.
    I read this morning that 1.3% of confirmed cases are associated with International travel and more than 17% locally transmitted and these are HSE figures.
    Where is the best Medical advise to have quarantine in hotels if these figures are correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yes they did.

And now NI
    Looks like we were ahead of the curve because you cannot trust people to actually isolate at home for 10 days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why would I waste my time reading peer reviewed academic and scientific studies that are in the public domain that would educate me on travel ban and MHQ effectiveness when I can just spout opinion without being able to back it up?

FYP

FYP

Ok, so give me your opinion. Would I be living with zero Covid if the country I live in didn't do border controls?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ok, so give me your opinion. Would I be living with zero Covid if the country I live in didn't do border controls?

I’ve no idea what country you live in

I’ve no idea what country you live in

It doesn't matter. Answer the question. You've evaded two already this morning.

It doesn't matter. Answer the question. You've evaded two already this morning.

Vietnam is not the EU and the Common Travel Area. Comparing apples and oranges.

However, I think that the EU should have taken this action 14 months ago. All borders with MHQ. But politics meant it did not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

And now NI
    Looks like we were ahead of the curve because you cannot trust people to actually isolate at home for 10 days

That's essentially what this boils down to, if we could trust people to self-isolate then MHQ wouldn't be needed

Sadly as we have seen people can't be trusted

Vietnam is not the EU and the Common Travel Area. Comparing apples and oranges.

However, I think that the EU should have taken this action 14 months ago. All borders with MHQ. But politics meant it did not happen.

I simply want faceman to explain how my existence and Vietnam's Covid-19 cases are an opinion that is null and void because he read a peer-reviewed study.

He has taken an absolutely ludicrous position on this and I want to see how he can juggle admitting restrictions work while arguing that they don't.

I simply want faceman to explain how my existence and Vietnam's Covid-19 cases are an opinion that is null and void because he read a peer-reviewed study.

That’s not the question you asked. You’re simply trying to put words in my mouth and pin me in a corner in an attempt to justify your opinion
    wrote:
    He has taken an absolutely ludicrous position on this and I want to see how he can juggle admitting restrictions work while arguing that they don't.

What’s my position?
    What’s ludicrous about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

Why should people that arrive in the airport and are vaccinated or have a negative PCR test need to isolate at home let alone MHQ, if elite athletes are free to go normally and positive cases in Ireland are not quarantined?

The common variants are here, if we want stop new ones then we need to seal the border and hope we don’t brew a variant ourselves. We are spending billions, cancelling other health services and many cheer on expensive measures that achieve very little. Either do it 100% like Australia etc. or drop it. MHQ for some arrivals is like sleeping around and only using a condom when the new partner has come from outside Ireland, unless they are an athlete of course, then you don’t need a condom.

• Advertisement

Donnelly is going to be in a corner in a few days with India. Not the country but the strain. It’s now in the U.K. but will he put the U.K. on the MHQ list?

Advertisement