Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

saabsaab wrote: »
    Indeed they don't.

People here who could have/has a 'variant' can walk around v a person who can test negative, have nothing and be forcefully quarantined. We are clearly not doing all we can to get these variants then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Indeed they don't.

Saab just a question, when and if you get the vaccine, will you still be hiding away until the Covid pandemic has officially been declared finished?

I ask this not as an insult, but ask you how long you intend to have fear and stop living ?

Personally, there is a risk in every part of life, but it does not stop me trying to get back to normal, with obvious sanitation and hygiene protocols in place.

I have to, I have people to earn a living for, I have family in europe and the states I have to maintain, for me to shut down would mean all of that is at risk. I know many people have already lost everything due to this. It is something that I cannot allow to happen to those that depend on me facing issues and steering a clear path to keep them housed, fed and have a future.

If we live in fear, no one wins, if we shut down everything, everyone looses.

There has to be balance in everything that we do, to protect those that are vulnerable (which is happening) and to allow those people who need to work...to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think we are the only Country in EU who are asking for MHQ for EU citizens.
    Given the fact we have about 1% of EU population.
    Are we making fools of ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I think we are the only Country in EU who are asking for MHQ for EU citizens.
    Given the fact we have about 1% of EU population.
    Are we making fools of ourselves...

No.
    Large numbers of Brazilians and South Africans travelling in and out of the country usually

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

“Lawfully detained”

As I said when it rolled out, they’re detention centres

NSAman wrote: »
    Saab just a question, when and if you get the vaccine, will you still be hiding away until the Covid pandemic has officially been declared finished?

I ask this not as an insult, but ask you how long you intend to have fear and stop living ?

Personally, there is a risk in every part of life, but it does not stop me trying to get back to normal, with obvious sanitation and hygiene protocols in place.

I have to, I have people to earn a living for, I have family in europe and the states I have to maintain, for me to shut down would mean all of that is at risk. I know many people have already lost everything due to this. It is something that I cannot allow to happen to those that depend on me facing issues and steering a clear path to keep them housed, fed and have a future.

There has to be balance in everything that we do, to protect those that are vulnerable (which is happening) and to allow those people who need to work...to work.

Good column in the indo this morning about how so many of the Irish live in fear.

It beggars belief to me what is being put in place. Luckily by June myself and my entire family will be fully vaccinated (being able to avail of the UK and the US programmes), so fully intend to be in and out of Ireland, and making use of the EU passport.

I feel truly sorry for those with family and essential business in the US and across the EU who are going to get caught up in this seemingly for most of the rest of year

No.
    Large numbers of Brazilians and South Africans travelling in and out of the country usually

My comment only concerned with EU..
    So we are members there has to be rules but no quarantine.
    Otherwise we better review where we at.
    We members of EU and allow non EU (UK) to travel freely.
    We did same for US troops in Shannon a few weeks ago.
    What do we think we are at....

The rest of the world separate agenda for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Good column in the indo this morning about how so many of the Irish live in fear.

It beggars belief to me what is being put in place. Luckily by June myself and my entire family will be fully vaccinated (being able to avail of the UK and the US programmes), so fully intend to be in and out of Ireland, and making use of the EU passport.

I feel truly sorry for those with family and essential business in the US and across the EU who are going to get caught up in this seemingly for most of the rest of year

Best to live in hope. Hope that by taking strong measures now we don't have to close schools and hospitals like we did previously.

Much more costly in terms of lots of measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

faceman wrote: »
    Irish hospitals weren’t under pressure for most of last year and were under pressure for only a fraction of this year yet....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cancer-services-will-not-fully-resume-until-year-end-under-hse-s-pandemic-plan-1.4517265

But how will an increased number of Covid cases improve the situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

But how will an increased number of Covid cases improve the situation?

We need to move away at using cases as the sole measure. Look at cases versus hospital numbers at the moment. The groups at most risk of severe covid are vaccinated.

NSAman wrote: »

I live in hope not fear. I think we will get out of this soon but only if we play our part and that means me and you not doing anything to increase risk. Opening up too early would be a big and costly mistake for us all on top of all that has been lost already. There is nothing to be gained in opening now or too soon. Like I have stated we may be in that position by June end. (barring a new variant)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

319 appeals since quarantine started and 22 of them successful with people being released. We haven't heard about 90% of these.

Interesting the judge said today that the status of persons immunity and prior infection was being looked at but no decision had been made yet. Unless we are glacially slow to decide, like a few things, I expect this to be yet another exception to quarantine in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Corholio wrote: »
    319 appeals since quarantine started and 22 of them successful with people being released. We haven't heard about 90% of these.

Interesting the judge said today that the status of persons immunity and prior infection was being looked at but no decision had been made yet. Unless we are glacially slow to decide, like a few things, I expect this to be yet another exception to quarantine in the near future.

It will be interesting.
    I just talked to a friend who apparently is in MHQ at the moment. He was coming back from Croatia - but unfortunately had a 30 minute transit through France.
    The funny thing is that he had covid approximately 3 months ago and at the moment he is immune to the virus (thus he hasn't gotten a vaccine yet), but still has to do the full 2 weeks of hotel quarantine.
    The whole system definitely needs some fine tuning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is India on the MHQ list? Covid seems to be out of control there now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

No not currently. It should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Don't be silly, the Wallis and Futuna Islands were more important

There is nothing to be gained in opening now
    Who did you consult with before making this statement on our behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting reading further down the RTE report on the quarantine case in the courts. It seems to me that we are looking at a permanent lockdown of the country to keep out variants. I didn't vote for any government to do this.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0416/1210286-quarantine-high-court/

"She pointed to a report that NPHET received two days ago from another EU country which had an outbreak of the South African variant in a nursing home where everyone had been fully vaccinated. This was a major concern, she said."

• Advertisement

Who did you consult with before making this statement on our behalf?

My Government.

My Government.
    The Government have no competency to decide the matter. The minister for Health was an Engineer, the Taoiseach was a Teacher many moons ago.

The Government have no competency to decide the matter. The minister for Health was an Engineer, the Taoiseach was a Teacher many moons ago.

If the legally elected Government doesn't who does?

Medical Officer but the Medical Officer is trying to absolve his institution of any blame.
    In other Countries the integrity of the person has been upheld with respect to restrictions imposed on account of the Pandemic by a panel of judges in the Constitutional Court.
    This has not happened here. Next stop would be Supreme Court but it looks unlikely that it will happen as the Lady is question will have then served her period of "detention".
    Only positives which come out of this ruling is an acknowledgement that it is actually detention and an admission that there is no point appealing to a Civil Servant because the Barrister has said that a Civil Servant has no freedom to exercise their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I love reading this thread.

The paranoia and whataboutery are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ORLY?

Screenshot-20210418-074545.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Oh this old nonsense again :rolleyes:

We chose to vote them in...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

faceman wrote: »
    “Lawfully detained” As I said when it rolled out, they’re detention centres

Erm ok but tbf MHQ is fairly easy to avoid. Its aim is to discourage travel from countries that have significant issues with regard to Covid infection rates and/ or variants of concern...

Thing is people know they will have to quarantine when they're booking their tickets - so if people do insist on travelling ...

Todate 18 people in MHQ here have tested positive for Covid-19 (of which four are probable variants of concern)

And outside that yes I know thears compassionate needs for travelling etc.

Looks like NI has just came into line with MHQ within in the Common Travel Area

NI announces 10-day mandatory hotel quarantine for 'red list' arrivals

https://www.thejournal.ie/northern-ireland-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-5412688-Apr2021/?amp=1&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=upday

Now how many were planning a travel dodge - are now going to have spend some time there I wonder? And the thing is - the lists of banned countries is subject to change ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Irish Aris wrote: »
    It will be interesting.
    I just talked to a friend who apparently is in MHQ at the moment. He was coming back from Croatia - but unfortunately had a 30 minute transit through France.
    The funny thing is that he had covid approximately 3 months ago and at the moment he is immune to the virus (thus he hasn't gotten a vaccine yet), but still has to do the full 2 weeks of hotel quarantine.
    The whole system definitely needs some fine tuning.

Is your friend immune from carrying or spreading the virus though? The best the scientists will say is that your friend won't get sick from it and could still be an asymptomatic carrier

Advertisement