Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Havannah. wrote: »
    Hmm, I assumed the idea is that you quarantine new vaccine busting variants

That allows time to vaccinate anew before the health service gets overwhelmed

And so on

I think it's more the government didn't want MHQ but the people and the opposition did so they decided to do a half-arsed job of it to try to appease everybody

And it's likely that they have appeased nobody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Havannah.

I think it's more the government didn't want MHQ but the people and the opposition did so they decided to do a half-arsed job of it to try to appease everybody

And it's likely that they have appeased nobody

Ok but isn't the basic premise that quarantine is unpalatable so it deters visitors

How important is the functionality of the quarantine system itself

Ok but isn't the basic premise that quarantine is unpalatable so it deters visitors

How important is the functionality of the quarantine system itself

Quarantine isn't an issue, if somebody is allowed to quarantine at home. The issue is people don't like Hotel Quarantine, mainly because they can't bend the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Quarantine isn't an issue, if somebody is allowed to quarantine at home. The issue is people don't like Hotel Quarantine, mainly because they can't bend the rules they are locked up in a stuffy room ( and it costs an f-ing fortune )

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Quick question,

Anyone care to say, what are the chances of being quarantined returning from work in Spain at the end of summer ?

Thanks

Slim to none. 80% of Europe will have had a jab, deaths will have been zero for several weeks, people will start to feel normal again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Quarantine isn't an issue, if somebody is allowed to quarantine at home. The issue is people don't like Hotel Quarantine, mainly because they can't bend the rules

Or outright break them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Havannah.

I haven't looked into this much but surely it's obvious home quarantine is a non-runner anyhow because it doesn't deter visitors from affected regions

^^ Which is the whole idea of quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Or outright break them.

Nope. My issue with hotel quarantine is I stayed away and all of ye couldn't stop meeting up, house parties, meaningful Christmas etc but somehow it's my fault. And still ye cough covid on each other every day. 400 extra cases per day.

And another issue is you have the nerve to charge us for it.

Quick question,

Anyone care to say, what are the chances of being quarantined returning from work in Spain at the end of summer ?

Thanks

I am normally very careful about predictions but barring some new more deadly variant the vaccines roll outs would mean that won't happen. End of August.

Do I have to quarantine if coming from a country not on the red list, as in if I left France now and went to Northern Ireland for two weeks would I still be expected to quarantine? If no then why would anyone pay to be detained in a shoebox in Ireland when they can legitimately wait it out in a nice Airbnb in the north?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Valhallapt wrote: »
    KLM have resumed full service from Belfast city this morning. The two Belfast airports are on course to smash passenger number records this summer

Under the current restrictions, anyone returning to Belfast will need three Covid tests, just for the return trip.

Quote/ Anyone intending to travel directly, or via another country, to Northern Ireland from outside the Common Travel Area, including British and Irish nationals returning home, must:

- provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result taken up to three days before departure
    - provide your journey and contact details by completing the UK online Passenger Locator Form(external link opens in a new window / tab)
    isolate for 10 days

Since Friday 16 April, you must:
    - enter managed isolation (hotel quarantine) for 10 days if travelling from a 'red list' country, or self-isolate for 10 days if travelling from a non 'red list' country - the day you arrive will be treated as day zero
    - book a day two and eight test kit if travelling from non 'red list' countries /Unquote

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-advice#toc-1

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Under the current restrictions, anyone returning to Belfast will need three Covid tests, just for the return trip.

Quote/ Anyone intending to travel directly, or via another country, to Northern Ireland from outside the Common Travel Area, including British and Irish nationals returning home, must:

- provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result taken up to three days before departure
    - provide your journey and contact details by completing the UK online Passenger Locator Form(external link opens in a new window / tab)
    isolate for 10 days

Since Friday 16 April, you must:
    - enter managed isolation (hotel quarantine) for 10 days if travelling from a 'red list' country, or self-isolate for 10 days if travelling from a non 'red list' country - the day you arrive will be treated as day zero
    - book a day two and eight test kit if travelling from non 'red list' countries /Unquote

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-advice#toc-1

Having to organise the covid tests is a pain alright, still a million miles better than being put into a detention centre for 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

It's 'under investigation' at the moment yes, that's not to say it shouldn't concern us, but it has caught the scientists off guard as they were expecting the next variant to be similar in mutation to the known variants.

It's not what Cillian de Gascun said on the radio today, there are two changes separately to the spike protein as opposed to one, that just makes it more interesting scientifically not necessarily more infectious or deadly.

Other commentators today (can't recall who) said Indian spread more linked to Religious festivals that Modhi was insisting on allowing and that this variant has been around for a long time

mmclo wrote: »
    It's not what Cillian de Gascun said on the radio today, there are two changes separately to the spike protein as opposed to one, that just makes it more interesting scientifically not necessarily more infectious or deadly.

Other commentators today (can't recall who) said Indian spread more linked to Religious festivals that Modhi was insisting on allowing and that this variant has been around for a long time

The implications of that may mean that it is able to change more quickly thus making further lmore vaccine resistant deadly variants possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

IQO wrote: »

Sinn Fein as much part of the problem as the government. Absolute despicable bunch of cretins.

Sinn Fein as much part of the problem as the government. Absolute despicable bunch of cretins.

There is no alternative. People know this, the only way out is the vaccines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah the ousted TD Regina making a power play for Fingal in the next general election by taking issue with a policy her own party brought in.
    Sinn Fein now having to take up the cause. Can't lose the airport vote.

Michael McNamara the same down in Shannon. Can't blame them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Yeah the ousted TD Regina making a power play for Fingal in the next general election by taking issue with a policy her own party brought in.
    Sinn Fein now having to take up the cause. Can't lose the airport vote.

Michael McNamara the same down in Shannon. Can't blame them really.

Like him or not, to be fair to Michael McNamara he has been running with this issue from day one almost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It's 'under investigation' at the moment yes, that's not to say it shouldn't concern us, but it has caught the scientists off guard as they were expecting the next variant to be similar in mutation to the known variants. To put in laymans terms if the virus is a banana last than year all we had were yellow ones but Britain, SA, Brazil, California and New York discovered green ones with slightly different shades across the countries, leading us to believe the next one would be a shade of green also. India have discovered a pink one, so that's turning heads in the scientific community

Again with the "off guard" comment, come on man
    wrote:

In 2020 we peaked at about 1200 hospital beds taken with about 120 in ICU
    In 2021 we peaked at about 2500 in hospital with 250 in ICU - we only have about 300 ICU beds in the country so to say we weren't overwhelmed is bending the truth a little bit

The difference is how long it was sustained. Pick a year from the past number of decades and you'll find the Irish hospitals were in worse shape over a sustained period in prior winters. You're forgetting the numbers of people we had on trolleys in your figures.

wrote:
    2 reasons... International travel brings in less tax money and more risk of cases and variants than social activity domestically does

We have a land border with the UK. We dont need airlines to bring in scary variants.

• Advertisement

mmclo wrote: »

Yes, 2 separate changes, to my knowledge they were expecting one but not the other.... As far as things can be expected in terms of variants
    faceman wrote: »
    We have a land border with the UK. We dont need airlines to bring in scary variants.

A land border with a country that also has strict limits on international travel

Yes, 2 separate changes, to my knowledge they were expecting one but not the other.... As far as things can be expected in terms of variants

A land border with a country that also has strict limits on international travel

This virus has jumped species twice and now is showing non predicted changes. We need control this next few months.

Far far less strict. Negative test prior to flying vs being jailed for two weeks. Apples and oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

So my cousin's 16 year old kid is due back from South Africa after spending 6 months there at boarding school.

At 16, he is not allowed to spend two weeks in quarantine alone.

He is an Irish citizen.

What do his parents do here? He is not allowed to stay at the hotel, yet he is an Irish citizen and it is against his constitutional rights to deny him entry to the country.

He can of course fully quarantine at home. His parents have a granny flat he can stay in.

JDD wrote: »
    So my cousin's 16 year old kid is due back from South Africa after spending 6 months there at boarding school.

He is an Irish citizen.

What do his parents do here? He is not allowed to stay at the hotel, yet he is an Irish citizen and it is against his constitutional rights to deny him entry to the country.

He can of course fully quarantine at home. His parents have a granny flat he can stay in.

I’d imagine if you contact the DFA they will advise on an exemption.

Failing that engage a solicitor to lodge proceedings with the courts, then the DFA will organise an exemption. Then pursue the DFA for costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Between the talk of "double mutants" and the headlines about the ex-Indian PM being admitted to hospital, we do seem to have a bit of scare-mongering at the moment.

"Double mutant" is nothing but a scary sounding headline, most of the variants we are concerned about have multiple mutations. This Indian strain doesn't appear any more dangerous (and probably less dangerous) than strains like the South African.

The ex PM being admitted was 88, doesn't sound to be in great health, and was in as a precaution as he had "mild" symptoms.

I've supported restrictions and felt they were necessary, but I think it's important that our medical community doesn't start getting lazy and jumping on the fear bandwagon as an easy way to keep restrictions in place. It's fine to say that you are worried about future variants and pointing out the risk to the Government to make a decision, it isn't fine to say that we are facing imminent doom and using that to justify things like MHQ by whipping up idiots in opposition parties and the most fearful people in society.

These strategies might work in the short-term, but they are unsustainable as they reduce trust in the longer term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

He is an Irish citizen.

I'd say good chance of an exemption but if you are still worried, I'd recommend a family holiday on carlingford lough or maybe the seaside up north

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

He is an Irish citizen.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3b8e1-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-your-questions-answered/#children-and-families
    Gov.ie wrote:
    What happens to unaccompanied minors
    Unaccompanied minors arriving in to the State who have travelled from or through a designated state in the 14 days prior to arrival in Ireland will not be permitted to enter a mandatory quarantine facility alone.

Either:

their adult guardian can enter mandatory hotel quarantine with them; or
    if this is not possible their guardian must sign a written undertaking to ensure the child will adhere to quarantine rules under their care at home or in a boarding school

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Flew from Dublin to the UK last weekend no problem,no questions asked, was great to see the airport so busy and people ignoring the lies and scaremongering and travelling.

was just briliant to escape the misery here and be able to have a few beers in the sun outdoors obviously,everyone in jovial form.

will definitely be doing this again in the next month...be left waiting here for these ghouls to open up anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Flew from Dublin to the UK last weekend no problem,no questions asked, was great to see the airport so busy and people ignoring the lies and scaremongering and travelling.

was just briliant to escape the misery here and be able to have a few beers in the sun outdoors obviously,everyone in jovial form.

will definitely be doing this again in the next month...be left waiting here for these ghouls to open up anything.

Did you come back from UK to Dublin also and if so did you need a PCR test?

The UK Gov website clearly says Irish are exempt because of CTA but the Irish website seems to be deliberately vague, only talking of "abroad" but I cant find anything about an exemption on pcr from UK to Dublin

Advertisement