Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

JDD wrote: »
    So my cousin's 16 year old kid is due back from South Africa after spending 6 months there at boarding school.

At 16, he is not allowed to spend two weeks in quarantine alone.

He is an Irish citizen.

What do his parents do here? He is not allowed to stay at the hotel, yet he is an Irish citizen and it is against his constitutional rights to deny him entry to the country.

He can of course fully quarantine at home. His parents have a granny flat he can stay in.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3b8e1-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-your-questions-answered/#children-and-families
    Gov.ie wrote:
    What happens to unaccompanied minors
    Unaccompanied minors arriving in to the State who have travelled from or through a designated state in the 14 days prior to arrival in Ireland will not be permitted to enter a mandatory quarantine facility alone.

Either:

their adult guardian can enter mandatory hotel quarantine with them; or
    if this is not possible their guardian must sign a written undertaking to ensure the child will adhere to quarantine rules under their care at home or in a boarding school

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Flew from Dublin to the UK last weekend no problem,no questions asked, was great to see the airport so busy and people ignoring the lies and scaremongering and travelling.

was just briliant to escape the misery here and be able to have a few beers in the sun outdoors obviously,everyone in jovial form.

will definitely be doing this again in the next month...be left waiting here for these ghouls to open up anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Flew from Dublin to the UK last weekend no problem,no questions asked, was great to see the airport so busy and people ignoring the lies and scaremongering and travelling.

was just briliant to escape the misery here and be able to have a few beers in the sun outdoors obviously,everyone in jovial form.

will definitely be doing this again in the next month...be left waiting here for these ghouls to open up anything.

Did you come back from UK to Dublin also and if so did you need a PCR test?

The UK Gov website clearly says Irish are exempt because of CTA but the Irish website seems to be deliberately vague, only talking of "abroad" but I cant find anything about an exemption on pcr from UK to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Flew from Dublin to the UK last weekend no problem,no questions asked, was great to see the airport so busy and people ignoring the lies and scaremongering and travelling

What lies and scaremongering are you referring to?
    M_Murphy57 wrote: »

The UK Gov website clearly says Irish are exempt because of CTA but the Irish website seems to be deliberately vague, only talking of "abroad" but I cant find anything about an exemption on pcr from UK to Dublin

There isn't one, negative PCR is required from GB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Government is talking about foreign travel from late Summer. Not long away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The real world evidence is piling up that the vaccines work, breakthrough infections after vaccination are tiny and insignificant illness wise and variants aren’t vaccine killers

Open the airports ;)

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/21/22395551/covid-vaccine-breakthrough-infection-rare-cdc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

French and Italians still unhappy with MHQ and arguing that anyone living here should be exempted.
    Foreign citizens with a home in Ireland should be exempted from Ireland’s mandatory hotel quarantine system when travelling for funerals and other pressing reasons, politicians from France and Italy have said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/citizens-living-in-ireland-should-be-exempt-from-hotel-quarantine-say-french-italian-politicians-1.4543934

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's not remotely vague. There are no restrictions traveling from the Ireland to the UK.

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's not remotely vague. There are no restrictions traveling from the Ireland to the UK.

If you read what I wrote I said it was clear what the rules were from Ireland TO the UK ie Irish are exempt from PCR entering UK.

I said it was not clear to me what the rules were coming back ie Irish people flying into Dublin FROM London.

The Irish Gov wording vaguely refers to everywhere as "abroad " and I haven't been able to find if there is an exemption on return to Dublin from the CTA. That was my question to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

I too am
    Interested in this as so confusing. Do people need to have a swab done travelling from Uk to Irl?

quote="M_Murphy57;116966141"]If you read what I wrote I said it was clear what the rules were from Ireland TO the UK ie Irish are exempt from PCR entering UK.

I said it was not clear to me what the rules were coming back ie Irish people flying into Dublin FROM London.

The Irish Gov wording vaguely refers to everywhere as "abroad " and I haven't been able to find if there is an exemption on return to Dublin from the CTA. That was my question to the OP.[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Eli1 wrote: »
    I too am
    Interested in this as so confusing. Do people need to have a swab done travelling from Uk to Irl?

quote="M_Murphy57;116966141"]If you read what I wrote I said it was clear what the rules were from Ireland TO the UK ie Irish are exempt from PCR entering UK.

The Irish Gov wording vaguely refers to everywhere as "abroad " and I haven't been able to find if there is an exemption on return to Dublin from the CTA. That was my question to the OP.
    [/quote]

Yes. Doesn’t matter where you’re flying from, you must arrive with a negative pcr test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Any update on the the green passports? I think that’ll simplify travel within the EU. I think by early may you need to show proof that you have had covid, had a vaccine or tested negative 72 hours prior. I’m not sure if they will have to system up and running or not. That’ll rid MHQ for eu people at least

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Any update on the the green passports? I think that’ll simplify travel within the EU. I think by early may you need to show proof that you have had covid, had a vaccine or tested negative 72 hours prior. I’m not sure if they will have to system up and running or not. That’ll rid MHQ for eu people at least
    Martin has been hinting that they don't want people going abroad in early summer so what happens elsewhere will have no effect on us for now.

exitfee wrote: »
    Do you need a pcr test to go the UK?

Nope. Just SD making us look backwards again by insisting the UK arrivals have one here it seems, despite being able to avoid it by flying into Belfast.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Martin has been hinting that they don't want people going abroad in early summer so what happens elsewhere will have no effect on us for now.

When is early summer?

Hinting is an understatement. It’s clear they don’t want people travelling in 2021 at all

Valhallapt wrote: »
    When is early summer?
    June-July, August might be acceptable. His preference seems to be traffic jams all along the Wild Atlantic Way!

If you read what I wrote I said it was clear what the rules were from Ireland TO the UK ie Irish are exempt from PCR entering UK.

Apologies

Yes you need a PCR from the UK

But that doesn't include NI.

exitfee wrote: »
    Do you need a pcr test to go the UK?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

June-July, August might be acceptable.

There is no definition of summer in which August is early.

edit: and if I hear "a number of" used as a quantifier one more time from an Irish politician or health bureaucrat I will scream.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    The comma in my post indicated the end of the response, August is new information not part of that response.

Nope. Just SD making us look backwards again by insisting the UK arrivals have one here it seems, despite being able to avoid it by flying into Belfast.

I suppose he's using the logic that most of the arrivals into Belfast are NI residents and it's easier and cheaper for most to have a PCR test 3 days before departure than to use the loophole... It also means you are far less likely to spread the virus on the plane so it's not backwards at all

Lumen wrote: »

edit: and if I hear "a number of" used as a quantifier one more time from an Irish politician or health bureaucrat I will scream.

I think he's referring to August as being late summer and therefore acceptable for travel

I suppose he's using the logic that most of the arrivals into Belfast are NI residents and it's easier and cheaper for most to have a PCR test 3 days before departure than to use the loophole... It also means you are far less likely to spread the virus on the plane so it's not backwards at all

There is no logic to any of SDs decisions. Hes an incompetent, craven narcissist, way out if his depth and determined to implement "my way or the highway" policies - no basis in risk management and no long term thinking or concern for the implications to the economy and our need as an island for connection to the outside world.

So yes, his policies are backwards at a time when every other country is looking for ways to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

faceman wrote: »
    Hinting is an understatement. It’s clear they don’t want people travelling in 2021 at all
    Ignoring all the noise from the zero-Covid people who are not actually in government, we need the actual government to tell us what the strategy is.

If the current restrictions are purely a short-term measure to keep out existing variants which they think may impact on vaccinations, then say that clearly.

If the strategy is to keep out any new variants long into the future then say that also.

No-one has a clue at the moment what the strategy is, and you have various commentators in the media each saying what they think it is - ranging from the zero-Covid "we will never travel outside the island ever again" to the "open everything it's only a cold" brigade.

Personally I don't see how they can seriously argue that the intention is to keep out future variants which don't exist yet, but if it is their strategy I want to know so I can make my opposition clear. I have no real problem with a strategy where we are trying to keep out existing dangerous variants, as long as there are exceptions for vaccinated people.

Was just listening to Ryanair ceo give an interview, he thinks it’ll be an extended summer this year with September being very busy. No faith in EU green certificate. Hotel bookings are strong for the summer in Southern Europe, which is not correlating with airline demand, suggesting that the Germans etc are just going to drive to their beach holiday this year

There is no logic to any of SDs decisions. Hes an incompetent, craven narcissist, way out if his depth and determined to implement "my way or the highway" policies - no basis in risk management and no long term thinking or concern for the implications to the economy and our need as an island for connection to the outside world.

So yes, his policies are backwards at a time when every other country is looking for ways to open up.

I'm not a fan of Donnelly but which of his decisions specifically are you referring to that have no logic attached to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the lack of exceptions in exceptional circumstances is being questioned by some of the EU countries who SD has slapped hotel quarantine on
    Foreign citizens with a home in Ireland should be exempted from Ireland’s mandatory hotel quarantine system when travelling for funerals and other pressing reasons, politicians from France and Italy have said.

In a letter sent to Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney, three French and Italian parliamentarians elected by citizens living abroad argued the cost of hotel quarantine was causing “an undue burden” on overseas citizens who need to travel in an emergency.

The letter, seen by The Irish Times, acknowledges “the protection of public health in Ireland is an unquestionable priority, and hotel quarantines are legitimate means to ensure this result where there are no alternatives”.

However, the three signatories argue that when someone entering Ireland has a permanent residence where they can safely quarantine, “this could be an alternative solution to facilitate essential travel”.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/citizens-living-in-ireland-should-be-exempt-from-hotel-quarantine-say-french-italian-politicians-1.4543934

I 100% agree.

Ireland is implementing a New Zealand no-covid type ultra strict MHQ policy on a selected number of countries with no exceptions even in the most tragic or excptional circumstances - and this strictness is justified as it it would jeopardise the situation in a country which already has 1000s of cases a month of community spread, a border open to the north and leisure travel for irish people allowed with a dental appointment in Tenerife (or boob job in Dubai) .

MHQ as implemented is illogical and disprortionally harsh in the case of family emergencies

the lack of exceptions in exceptional circumstances is being questioned by some of the EU countries who SD has slapped hotel quarantine on

I 100% agree.

Ireland is implementing a New Zealand no-covid type ultra strict MHQ policy on a selected number of countries with no exceptions even in the most tragic or excptional circumstances - and this strictness is justified as it it would jeopardise the situation in a country which already has 1000s of cases a month of community spread, a border open to the north and leisure travel for irish people allowed with a dental appointment in Tenerife (or boob job in Dubai) .

MHQ as implemented is illogical and disprortionally harsh in the case of family emergencies

I don't think a NZ/Aus style MHQ would be beneficial at the moment because as you say community spread is too high but when we get our numbers down to where they were last summer that's when MHQ will really show it's benefits. At the moment there is an exemption list and it is quite long

Let's not forget that 80% of cases in November were the Spanish strain, all originating from travel to the region in one form or another, further proof that the 2 week non legally binding 'restricted movements' wasn't enough at the time and clearly went un-observed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't think a NZ/Aus style MHQ would be beneficial at the moment because as you say community spread is too high but when we get our numbers down to where they were last summer that's when MHQ will really show it's benefits.
    We are not isolated countries at the far end of the world.

MHQ for countries in the EU & North America may help drive our Covid rate down to zero, but it will also drive our economy down. Someone has to earn the money which goes to pay for things like the health service & pandemic unemployment payments.

It's all irrelevant anyway, once the vaccination program finishes in the next few months we will be forced to reopen as all our neighbours do. The opposition parties are already asking what the government are doing to help the aviation sector which is a staggering level of neck.

Advertisement