Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

I suppose he's using the logic that most of the arrivals into Belfast are NI residents and it's easier and cheaper for most to have a PCR test 3 days before departure than to use the loophole... It also means you are far less likely to spread the virus on the plane so it's not backwards at all

You also can't fly into Belfast from any airport other than another UK airport without multiple tests. Basically, the UK and Ireland are in a defacto bubble with checks on anyone coming from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Let's not forget that 80% of cases in November were the Spanish strain, all originating from travel to the region in one form or another, further proof that the 2 week non legally binding 'restricted movements' wasn't enough at the time and clearly went un-observed
    the Spanish variant was not brought back by French or italian people returning from a funeral or minding their elderly relatives

its people like that in Ireland, and the same for a portion of irish abroad with elderly relatives in Ireland, that are being caught by the MHQ in a very bad way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

hmmm wrote: »
    We are not isolated countries at the far end of the world.

MHQ for countries in the EU & North America may help drive our Covid rate down to zero, but it will also drive our economy down. Someone has to earn the money which goes to pay for things like the health service & pandemic unemployment payments.

It's all irrelevant anyway, once the vaccination program finishes in the next few months we will be forced to reopen as all our neighbours do. The opposition parties are already asking what the government are doing to help the aviation sector which is a staggering level of neck.

We are isolated from all our neighbours by various masses of water. Vietnam managed to keep covid out from day one by closing their borders despite having a 1,306km long land border with China

Despite that I will agree that our vaccination schedule paves the way for opening borders when we get to about 75% inoculation, assuming no nasty variant appears... I think it will be longer than a few months though
    the Spanish variant was not brought back by French or italian people returning from a funeral or minding their elderly relatives

its people like that in Ireland, and the same for a portion of irish abroad with elderly relatives in Ireland, that are being caught by the MHQ in a very bad way

Debatable but even if true, how do you prove somebody was caring for an elderly relative or at a funeral instead of partying when they get off the plane?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

We are isolated from all our neighbours by various masses of water. Vietnam managed to keep covid out from day one by closing their borders despite having a 1,306km long land border with China

Despite that I will agree that our vaccination schedule paves the way for opening borders when we get to about 75% inoculation, assuming no nasty variant appears... I think it will be longer than a few months though

Debatable but even if true, how do you prove somebody was caring for an elderly relative or at a funeral instead of partying when they get off the plane?

You should do your research better. There are only 21 road crossings between Vietnam and China and ALL are manned border crossings

How many roads cross in to Northern Ireland and how many of them are manned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Did you come back from UK to Dublin also and if so did you need a PCR test?

The UK Gov website clearly says Irish are exempt because of CTA but the Irish website seems to be deliberately vague, only talking of "abroad" but I cant find anything about an exemption on pcr from UK to Dublin

back via Belfast, never any problems, ive done it numerous times.

• Advertisement

What lies and scaremongering are you referring to?

There isn't one, negative PCR is required from GB

ah here, :rolleyes::D

exitfee wrote: »
    Do you need a pcr test to go the UK?

no you dont, coming back you do which is why more are coming back via Belfast

its like this follks, you can either sit at home depressed and hoping these parasites in government alllow you to go on holiday which they probably wont, or just ignore the constant doom and gloom and scaremongering and just go on holiday, thats exactly what i done last summer, and i will be doing the exact same this summer too,in fact ive taken numerous flights without any issues since this started.

Staying at home in a €250 a night hotel ,lucky to get a pint , you cant go anywhere because it'll likely rain isnt my idea of a holiday its misery.

The choice is yours, sit at home wishing your life away, or just ignore the scaremongering as everyone appears to be doing now and just go abroad and enjoy your holiday.

its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

its like this follks, you can either sit at home depressed and hoping these parasites in government alllow you to go on holiday which they probably wont, or just ignore the constant doom and gloom and scaremongering and just go on holiday, thats exactly what i done last summer, and i will be doing the exact same this summer too,in fact ive taken numerous flights without any issues since this started.

Staying at home in a €250 a night hotel ,lucky to get a pint , you cant go anywhere because it'll likely rain isnt my idea of a holiday its misery.

The choice is yours, sit at home wishing your life away, or just ignore the scaremongering as everyone appears to be doing now and just go abroad and enjoy your holiday.

its that simple.

You obviously don't care what you bring back. We should be in a better position late June early June re foreign travel just wait and see.

faceman wrote: »
    You should do your research better. There are only 21 road crossings between Vietnam and China and ALL are manned border crossings

How many roads cross in to Northern Ireland and how many of them are manned?

Well northern ireland and the rest of the UK are in a defacto travel bubble with the republic as there is MHQ set up on each side of the border, I thought you were referring to the mainland EU where there are 2 or possibly 3 ports that serve as border crossings with them

• Advertisement

The vaccination will help opening borders when we get the majority inoculated, assuming no deadly variant appears. My guess is end June.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

saabsaab wrote: »
    The vaccination will help opening borders when we get the majority inoculated, assuming no deadly variant appears. My guess is end June.

So you've said. Countless times.

Good. At least you're taking notice.

its that simple.

You forgot to mention "pick up COVID, bring it back, possibly kill an elderly family member and close up the economy" which is the problem, beggars belief that some people like you aren't smart enough to see that

Yes except I think you're being a bit hopeful about our vaccine rollout

Yes except I think you're being a bit hopeful about our vaccine rollout

You could well be right but I'm a bit of an optimist.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

More and more I think saabsaab is a bot programmed to post "do not travel", "be afraid", "variants" or words to that effect all day every day. I dont know why people bother engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Head of DAA wading in on MHQ.
    The chief executive of Dublin airport operator, daa, has said he is "very concerned" about the impact of mandatory hotel quarantine.

Dalton Philips said the Irish regime is one of the most restrictive of any EU country.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0422/1211471-daa-chief-concerned-at-hotel-quarantine-impact/

You could well be right but I'm a bit of an optimist.

I usually am... I think our vaccine issues have changed that though

is_that_so wrote: »

Newsflash - Operator of Airport doesn't like restrictions on international travel

In other news pubs aren't happy about being closed, retail isn't happy with having to go click and collect and the sky is blue

• Advertisement

Newsflash - Operator of Airport doesn't like restrictions on international travel

In other news pubs aren't happy about being closed, retail isn't happy with having to go click and collect and the sky is blue
    Eh, you missed poster posts stupid post!

Eh, you missed poster posts stupid post!

I would not be one to use such language against you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Wow. 4.8% of people arriving from India into the UK between 25 March and 7 April tested positive.

All had negative PCR negative test before departure.

https://twitter.com/BWDDPH/status/1384932561701441539?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

You forgot to mention "pick up COVID, bring it back, possibly kill an elderly family member and close up the economy" which is the problem, beggars belief that some people like you aren't smart enough to see that

If you go on holiday to a region with a lower covid incident rate than Ireland (plenty of which exist), you're significantly statistically less likely to infect a family member when you come home than if you'd spent the prior week or two in Ireland before seeing them.

Thats also even before you take into account the reduced risk given the pre-departure PCR test, and post-arrival PCR test, that are now necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A good old Helen Lovejoy response there

lawred2 wrote: »
    A good old Helen Lovejoy response there

For other posters, like me, who have no idea what this reference is, Google tells me it's some Simpsons character!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There's people on here who said they haven't been stressed in a year except for the rugby. Why would people bother in the least wondering what they have to say about it all? The likes of this commenting on travel is hilarious.

For other posters, like me, who have no idea what this reference is, Google tells me it's some Simpsons character!

Oh to be young again

Wow. 4.8% of people arriving from India into the UK between 25 March and 7 April tested positive.

All had negative PCR negative test before departure.

https://twitter.com/BWDDPH/status/1384932561701441539?s=20

Wait a minute... How did they catch it if they had a negative PCR test? I thought that the negative PCR vaccinated you

Blut2 wrote: »
    If you go on holiday to a region with a lower covid incident rate than Ireland (plenty of which exist), you're significantly statistically less likely to infect a family member when you come home than if you'd spent the prior week or two in Ireland before seeing them.

Thats also even before you take into account the reduced risk given the pre-departure PCR test, and post-arrival PCR test, that are now necessary.

This is true as long as the holiday region you go to doesn't let people from a highly infectious region in... Last summer Cyprus had an incidence rate similar to Ireland of about 3 then they opened up most notably to brits

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    There's people on here who said they haven't been stressed in a year except for the rugby. Why would people bother in the least wondering what they have to say about it all? The likes of this commenting on travel is hilarious.

If it's me you're talking about I'm only stating the facts, maybe it's the ones you don't like or just don't have a good answer to

Advertisement