Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

its like this follks, you can either sit at home depressed and hoping these parasites in government alllow you to go on holiday which they probably wont, or just ignore the constant doom and gloom and scaremongering and just go on holiday, thats exactly what i done last summer, and i will be doing the exact same this summer too,in fact ive taken numerous flights without any issues since this started.

Staying at home in a €250 a night hotel ,lucky to get a pint , you cant go anywhere because it'll likely rain isnt my idea of a holiday its misery.

The choice is yours, sit at home wishing your life away, or just ignore the scaremongering as everyone appears to be doing now and just go abroad and enjoy your holiday.

its that simple.

I gave up my holiday last year, at much personal expense.

The vulnerable are pretty much vaccinated at this stage, everyone over 50 will be vaccinated by mid June at the latest.

I’m not putting my life on hold as some people are suggesting that some yet unknown variant might emerge. We didn’t get a warning about this pandemic, we won’t get a warning about the next one either, can’t live in fear. Once the people who might die from covid are vaccinated, it’s time to get back to normal and enjoy life, and foreign travel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I heard singapore are enforcing 2 weeks in a hotel AND 1 week at home quarantine..edit: only for India

Yeah just read they've actually changed it to an additional 7 days in "a managed facility"

So that's a full 21 days in managed quarantine. They must know something we don't.

https://twitter.com/DamianTheAussie/status/1385210428184141826?s=20

551030.jpeg

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/updates-on-border-measures-for-travellers-from-india-westlite-woodlands-dormitory-cluster-and-additional-precautions-for-recovered-persons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Blut2 wrote: »
    If you go on holiday to a region with a lower covid incident rate than Ireland (plenty of which exist), you're significantly statistically less likely to infect a family member when you come home than if you'd spent the prior week or two in Ireland before seeing them.

Thats also even before you take into account the reduced risk given the pre-departure PCR test, and post-arrival PCR test, that are now necessary.

Bull
    Because the people who will still go on a foreign jollier are probably the same who won't adhere to restrictions here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Bull
    Because the people who will still go on a foreign jollier are the probably the same who won't adhere to restrictions here

Without doubt they are. Because by doing so they are already breaking current restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

A monument should be erected over this thread

"Marking where the hard lockdowners made their last stand"

• Advertisement

0lddog wrote: »

Reasonable people.

0lddog wrote: »

What kind of monument? A tombstone? A cross perhaps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not everyone who gets covid gets sick, or ends up in hospital or dies.

A tad dramatic pal

faceman wrote: »
    Not everyone who gets covid gets sick, or ends up in hospital or dies.

A tad dramatic pal

Nobody said they did. A tad sensitive mate.

A cross would be most fitting, the hard lock downers remind me of the 1950s Catholic Church hardliners, people with children abroad are the new fallen women.

• Advertisement

Valhallapt wrote: »
    A cross would be most fitting, the hard lock downers remind me of the 1950s Catholic Church hardliners, people with children abroad are the new fallen women.

5,000 dead and you talk about those who want to reduce the risk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

saabsaab wrote: »

Multiples of 5,000 have died in Ireland since the pandemic has begun and the average age of a 'with covid' death is well above that of all other deaths.
    When we are still finding people who died as far back as 4-5 months ago 'with covid' you have to question the numbers as the prominent coroner recently did.

We also had minimal to no excess deaths in the first 9 months of 2020 (figures for the last 3 months of 2020 have still to be released).

Trampolines

Multiples of 5,000 have died in Ireland since the pandemic has begun and the average age of a 'with covid' death is well above that of all other deaths.
    When we are still finding people who died as far back as 4-5 months ago 'with covid' you have to question the numbers as the prominent coroner recently did.

We also had minimal to no excess deaths in the first 9 months of 2020 (figures for the last 3 months of 2020 have still to be released).

A prime time study suggested 3200 deaths from covid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nobody said they did. A tad sensitive mate.

Somebody was implying that without committing. A tad facetious pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

A prime time study suggested 3200 deaths from covid.

A lot less so given it's Prime Time

I’m sure you mean well in your own way. But with all those at risk groups vaccinated, it’s now time to stop with the hysteria. In a couple of weeks as vaccinations pick up pace, the sky will feel more blue, and maybe you’ll have a bit more perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If it's me you're talking about I'm only stating the facts, maybe it's the ones you don't like or just don't have a good answer to

It's only obvious it's you cos not many others would say such an obnoxious thing in a covid forum and expect people to take any further opinions seriously. Bunker down and watch replays of the rugby, I'm sure someone will tap on the window to let you know you unfortunately have to stress again once it's over.

I’m sure you mean well in your own way. But with all those at risk groups vaccinated, it’s now time to stop with the hysteria. In a couple of weeks as vaccinations pick up pace, the sky will feel more blue, and maybe you’ll have a bit more perspective.

As i said many times when the vaccines are well rolled out we should be in a far better place but opening up too quickly won't help. Or non vital air travel.

faceman wrote: »
    Somebody was implying that without committing. A tad facetious pal.

No they weren't, we all know most get better but it still kills some. Two of them known to me. One under 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Not necessarily. What you can do, and your chances of becoming infected are reduced here because we can restrict what you do. Abroad, we cannot control you. And you probability of people going abroad on holiday to stay away from other people is low to negligible. So even if the rate is higher here than in the prospective holiday country, people staying here have a significantly statistically LOWER probability of infecting a family member.
    That is why travel for holidays is curtailed.

That assumes people are keeping to the government's rules in Ireland. Which they quite clearly are not. Go to any park any sunny weekend day and tell us what you see. Ask taxi drivers how many people they're dropping off and collecting from house parties these days.

If someone is going to socialize on holiday they're going to do it in Ireland. Thats a personal choice people are making, that they'll make wherever they are.

And if anything, socializing in the parts of Europe where outdoor hospitality is open currently is significantly statistically less risky behaviour than socializing indoors at house parties/dinner parties in Ireland.
    Bull
    Because the people who will still go on a foreign jollier are probably the same who won't adhere to restrictions here

Yes. Thats exactly my point. If someone wants to socialize they'll do it in Ireland, they won't be waiting to go abroad to do it. And by doing it in Ireland they're at higher risk of catching corona, and spreading corona it on their return, than if they'd spent the preceding week in a lower incident region.

Blut2 wrote: »
    That assumes people are keeping to the government's rules in Ireland. Which they quite clearly are not. Go to any park any sunny weekend day and tell us what you see. Ask taxi drivers how many people they're dropping off and collecting from house parties these days.

If someone is going to socialize on holiday they're going to do it in Ireland. Thats a personal choice people are making, that they'll make wherever they are.

And if anything, socializing in the parts of Europe where outdoor hospitality is open currently is significantly statistically less risky behaviour than socializing indoors at house parties/dinner parties in Ireland.

Yes. Thats exactly my point. If someone wants to socialize they'll do it in Ireland, they won't be waiting to go abroad to do it. And by doing it in Ireland they're at higher risk of catching corona, and spreading corona it on their return, than if they'd spent the preceding week in a lower incident region.

Perhaps but at airports, travel to and from not to mention crossing paths with people from God knows where on their travels their risk of picking up new variants is much higher that here currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Perhaps but at airports, travel to and from not to mention crossing paths with people from God knows where on their travels their risk of picking up new variants is much higher that here currently.

Airports and flights have been statistically proven to not be a risk, because social distancing and mask wearing is ubiquitous, and the air is so filtered.

Someone is far more likely to catch covid attending a social event in a house with 10 friends in Dublin than on the journey flying to Spain and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭josip

How many additional cases have been detected so far in the Quarantine Hotels that weren't detected before the flights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

lawred2 wrote: »
    A good old Helen Lovejoy response there
    Corholio wrote: »
    It's only obvious it's you cos not many others would say such an obnoxious thing in a covid forum and expect people to take any further opinions seriously. Bunker down and watch replays of the rugby, I'm sure someone will tap on the window to let you know you unfortunately have to stress again once it's over.

Maybe facts aren't your thing and perhaps personal attacks make you feel better but it doesn't help your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

josip wrote: »
    How many additional cases have been detected so far in the Quarantine Hotels that weren't detected before the flights?

Assuming everybody flew into the country with negative tests. All of them, which raises questions about the accuracy of a 3 day pre-departure test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭josip

Assuming everybody flew into the country with negative tests. All of them, which raises questions about the accuracy of a 3 day pre-departure test

But how many is "all of them"? 5? 10?
    Or by "All of them" do you mean everyone who has to got to MHQ is a positive case? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Maybe facts aren't your thing and perhaps personal attacks make you feel better but it doesn't help your argument.

Facts?

How many of yesterday’s 600 cases were from travel within the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

How many of yesterday’s 600 cases were from travel within the EU?
    probably all of them, straight off the plane setting to work infecting as many as possible as quickly as possible - which has to have been the case, because as we are all aware Covid does not transmit from person to person unless you are straight off a plane !!

Its a really strange yet cunning virus, the first ever to require a plane journey as a catalyst

It can even be spread by phantom people, better known as "hoardes of yanks off the plane" , thousands of them, coming to Ireland for a holiday in closed hotels and having the craic in closed pubs, going on tours of the country on bus tours that have been cancelled, crossing county bounds that the natives arent allowed to cross. Scandalous, the whole affair !

Advertisement