Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Blut2 wrote: »
    Airports and flights have been statistically proven to not be a risk, because social distancing and mask wearing is ubiquitous, and the air is so filtered.

Someone is far more likely to catch covid attending a social event in a house with 10 friends in Dublin than on the journey flying to Spain and back.

One does not negate the other. And as with all international travel - it's the risks of mingling with and criss crossing paths with potentially hundreds of other travellers on transport, on flights themselves and at hotels etc

And hardly surprisingly some of that being pushed about flights not being a risk seems to be the travel industry itself.

Meanwhile in the real world- there is an increasing body of evidence to indicates that flying increases risk of contacting covid.
    Perhaps the most extensive research of transmission after pre-travel testing comes from the New Zealand Ministry of Health, which joined with other researchers to study seven infected people who traveled aboard Emirates Flight 448 from Dubai to Auckland on Sept. 29.

Two of the seven were likely infected before traveling but had tested negative in Zurich, Switzerland, within 72 hours of departing on their trip. Four of the seven were likely infected in-flight, the study found, and another likely during mandatory 14-day quarantine in New Zealand required of all passengers.

All seven people had genetically identical strains of the virus, even though the passengers had originated in five different countries. All seven sat within two rows of the presumed spreaders, and all were in aisle seats, the study reported. Travelers reported wearing masks and some wore gloves. There were 86 passengers on the Boeing 777.

Thst said I do have to laugh at those who generally don't consider covid anything more than a type of 'flu' or similar who regardless claim that MHQ hotels themselves are unequivocally the source of infection for passengers. Funnily enough that doesn't really stand up to quarantine data to date.

From just one known incident in Australia.
    Melbourne saw this last July when a quarantined traveller infected a hotel guard, who unwittingly took the virus into the community. The resulting outbreak accounts for over 90% of Australia's 29,000 cases and 909 deaths to date.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55929180

And people wonder why we have quarantine? I would hope that hotel staff in MHQ are being prioritised as frontline workers

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Why is India not on our hotel quarantine list yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

meath4sam wrote: »

Because our list is a complete shambles and our MHQ system an embarrassment.

meath4sam wrote: »

The Travel Group and the chief medical officer meets every two weeks. Afaik India is already up for inclusion.

The UK only added India onto their red list - effective yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The talk I'm hearing here it'll be lockdown #4 in September

What an idiotic thing to say. Talk about nailing your flag to the mast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Have you any data or source on that. We aren't there yet I'd say.

LOL. For someone who revels in misery and doom, do you read the news? The process on the vaccine plan is well publicised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Flappidyflap

Does anyone know what sort of checks are being carried out on people who quarentine at home, flying in from UK. The journey falls under the essential criteria for travel set out. Can you go for a walk... I see the MHQ are brought out for exercise/fresh air. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Does anyone know what sort of checks are being carried out on people who quarentine at home, flying in from UK. The journey falls under the essential criteria for travel set out. Can you go for a walk... I see the MHQ are brought out for exercise/fresh air. Thanks

Exercise is allowed. Common sense.

gozunda wrote: »
    The Travel Group and the chief medical officer meets every two weeks. Afaik India is already up for inclusion.

id imagine some countries will be moved off it too, cant see why the US is on it, they dont meet the criteria,

id imagine some countries will be moved off it too, cant see why the US is on it, they dont meet the criteria,

Which criteria are they?

Afaik were also on the US own " Do not travel" to list.

• Advertisement

Which criteria are they?

Afaik were also on the US own " Do not travel" to list.

supposed to be 2.5 X cases over 14 days vs ireland

supposed to be 2.5 X cases over 14 days vs ireland

This from gov.ie
    The Expert Advisory Group on Travel (EAGT) was established on 1 March 2021 to develop a method of risk assessing States and consider all concerns COVID-19 poses for travel.

The Group meets every two weeks to recommend amendments to the list of Designated States, taking into account:

countries with outbreak involving known variants of concern

countries with a very high 14-day incidence (≥500/100,000)

countries with a high 14-day incidence (greater than 2.5 times Ireland’s 14-day incidence but <500/100,000)

So the last one on that list?

Do you have a link for their 14 incidence rate? Can't find one tbh

This from gov.ie

So the last one on that list?

Do you have a link for their 14 incidence rate? Can't find one tbh

https://covid19-country-overviews.ecdc.europa.eu/

every country here, great official data set, published every week or so,

US is bordeline, as Ireland decreased in the past 2 weeks, but they never met the 2.5x 2 weeks ago.

https://covid19-country-overviews.ecdc.europa.eu/

every country here, great official data set, published every week or so,

US is bordeline, as Ireland decreased in the past 2 weeks, but they never met the 2.5x 2 weeks ago.

I see it doesn't list 14 day "incidence rates" rather "notification rates"?

Notification rates:

USA 18 April 2021 - 291.5

Ireland 18 April 2021 - 108

So 2.5 times Irish rate = 270

So yeah looks like their rate is currently is 2.5 x times over ours atm

Not sure what the reference figure EAGT used for the initial listing was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Will they discuss exemptions to the MHQ exemptions list. I feel like people with expiring work visas should not have to quarantine in the hotel. I am in Canada and my visa is coming to an end.

I am able to quarantine at home.

It's a serious extra burden trying to finance this with flights on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

This is what our country has become. I hope everyone wanting MHQ is proud.

https://twitter.com/peterdooleydub/status/1385613001005350918?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

This is what our country has become. I hope everyone wanting MHQ is proud.

https://twitter.com/peterdooleydub/status/1385613001005350918?s=21

It’s barbaric. I’m ashamed to be Irish. Not in my name.

Shane St. wrote: »
    Will they discuss exemptions to the MHQ exemptions list. I feel like people with expiring work visas should not have to quarantine in the hotel. I am in Canada and my visa is coming to an end.

I am able to quarantine at home.

It's a serious extra burden trying to finance this with flights on top.

I think this is very valid, its not like folks off on vacation, work is REAL,

I think this is very valid, its not like folks off on vacation, work is REAL,

Right so sometime who moved abroad should be exempt.

Who else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Valhallapt wrote: »
    It’s barbaric. I’m ashamed to be Irish. Not in my name.

Nonsense. It is a temporary and useful public health measure. What happened before only let Covid strains in without a stop. I'm sure that it could be improved though.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. It is a temporary and useful public health measure. What happened before only let Covid strains in without a stop. I'm sure that it could be improved though.

It’s the 83 year olds we are supposed to be protecting, not stopping them attending their own children’s funeral.
    A bit of perspective here please.

It’s the 83 year olds we are supposed to be protecting, not stopping them attending their own children’s funeral.
    A bit of perspective here please.

No point talking about individual hard cases (don't know the one you are on about) . Reducing travel until the roll out is well underway is the most important thing right now.

No point talking about individual hard cases (don't know the one you are on about) . Reducing travel until the roll out is well underway is the most important thing right now.

Read the tweet that the previous poster was referring to.

Read the tweet that the previous poster was referring to.

No point in discussing it. People can appeal and I'm sure they will get a reasonable outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Magdalene laundries were temporary and useful. Ireland will never learn...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'm sure they could have appealed and got a reasonable outcome!

No point in discussing it. People can appeal and I'm sure they will get a reasonable outcome.

An 83 year old man shouldn’t have to go through that kind of expense, doubt and stress to attend his own son’s funeral.

I'm sure they could have appealed and got a reasonable outcome!

No comparison just daft.

I like your posts in general but comparing being unable to travel abroad to what occurred to those poor girls does them a disservice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

An 83 year old man shouldn’t have to go through that kind of expense, doubt and stress to attend his own son’s funeral.

There are plenty of people who couldn't attend their relatives funeral during Covid for a lot of reasons, no need to single a person out

Advertisement