Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This is what our country has become. I hope everyone wanting MHQ is proud.

https://twitter.com/peterdooleydub/status/1385613001005350918?s=21

Why should he be treated differently to the thousands of people who couldn't attend funerals in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Why should he be treated differently to the thousands of people who couldn't attend funerals in the last year?

Which fathers couldn’t attend their son’s funerals last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I like your posts in general but comparing being unable to travel abroad to what occurred to those poor girls does them a disservice

I understand what you are saying. I’m not comparing those horrors that women went through in those places to people in MHQ. I am comparing the general complicity of society, “ah sure it’ll be grand”, Ireland turned a blind eye as women and children were detained for the betterment of society. But the mob on here are fine with repeating that, albeit it on a smaller scale. We locked up a family from Australia who were fully vaccinated, and had a home to go to who were perfectly able to isolate at home. But the mob on here didn’t trust the nurse and her family as if she were some kind of fallen women. She was a mother who decided to take up a job as a nurse in Ireland at the height of the pandemic, not an easy move and not comparable to someone having a weekend in Vegas.

If you accept the Ireland has the right to intern children without trial, compassion or empathy for simply for being in or transiting through the arbitrarily wrong foreign country, then what good is society? Where do we draw the line, in the passed we failed children, as a society we’ve not evolved as much as we would like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Some countries use an electronic bracelet. This could be an option for people with somewhere to quarantine, although other measures would be needed to stop people visiting that location.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying. I’m not comparing those horrors that women went through in those places to people in MHQ. I am comparing the general complicity of society, “ah sure it’ll be grand”, Ireland turned a blind eye as women and children were detained for the betterment of society. But the mob on here are fine with repeating that, albeit it on a smaller scale. We locked up a family from Australia who were fully vaccinated, and had a home to go to who were perfectly able to isolate at home. But the mob on here didn’t trust the nurse and her family as if she were some kind of fallen women. She was a mother who decided to take up a job as a nurse in Ireland at the height of the pandemic, not an easy move and not comparable to someone having a weekend in Vegas.

If you accept the Ireland has the right to intern children without trial, compassion or empathy for simply for being in or transiting through the arbitrarily wrong foreign country, then what good is society? Where do we draw the line, in the passed we failed children, as a society we’ve not evolved as much as we would like to think.

Good post.

For sure mhq could be done a lot better. Especially for kids and it's hard for me to look at it completely neutral as it could have easily been myself or my kids but for the list not including Spain.

The other side though, for all the cases that seem very genuine, there's the assholes that just decided they are above everyone else and it's that group that **** it all up. Won't isolate, wont restrict movements and don't even bother with masks until they are told.

Instead of mhq there should have been serious consequences for not isolating at home but that was never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Some countries use an electronic bracelet. This could be an option for people with somewhere to quarantine, although other measures would be needed to stop people visiting that location.

Jesus Christ - are you serious? Electronic tagging of people. Thankfully the EU will drag our government out of this madness once the green cert is enacted.

All the while, someone living in Ireland who just tested positive for Covid could freely attend the funeral without breaking any law. Ireland are a complete basket case under the current FF leadership who will thankfully be completely obliterated at the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Selective border hotel quarantine in a state with an unsuppressed continuing internal epidemic is pure political theatre to make it seem like the state is doing everything it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ - are you serious? Electronic tagging of people. Thankfully the EU will drag our government out of this madness once the green cert is enacted.

All the while, someone living in Ireland who just tested positive for Covid could freely attend the funeral without breaking any law. Ireland are a complete basket case under the current FF leadership who will thankfully be completely obliterated at the next GE.

Electronic tagging is fine by me. That or MHQ to stop variants. As for FF being obliterated, by who exactly? They all are in favour of current policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Equating the Magdalene Laundries with MHQ is the daftest bit of historical referencing I've ever seen

I'd say anyone who went through the magdelene system would gladly do two weeks of MHQ, or even longer

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Equating the Magdalene Laundries with MHQ is the daftest bit of historical referencing I've ever seen

I'd say anyone who went through the magdelene system would gladly do two weeks of MHQ, or even longer

For me, It was comparing MHQ to concentration camps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

saabsaab wrote: »
    Electronic tagging is fine by me. That or MHQ to stop variants. As for FF being obliterated, by who exactly? They all are in favour of current policies.

The shark......the shark it has been jumped.

Jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

1 in 4 now vaccinated. They’re mostly the people who could die. Hate to disappoint you, but the misery is over!

That would most definitely not disappoint me
    Have you any data or source on that. We aren't there yet I'd say.

This was confirmed this morning in an RTE article, 24.5% have now received a first dose and 10% have received their second

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    For me, It was comparing MHQ to concentration camps

Two excellent contenders.

Two excellent contenders.

If you read and comprehend what most people who are against MHQ are saying is that it is deeply unfair, flawed, lacking in intellect and hits the least among us the hardest. That’s the basis for those comparisons. A father who can show a negative PCR test (probably vaccinated too) not allowed to attend his sons funeral because of MHQ. On Thursday I watched an itinerant funeral of about 200 people, about half masked, perhaps some positive with covid. But that group stood their ground, in Ireland we only force morality on the least among us. So the comparisons are fair, humanity withheld for the vulnerable, but those who tell the gardai to F off go on as normal.

But you will believe what you want to believe, you will sleep well tonight.

People aren’t comparing the conditions of MHQ to concentration camps, they’re comparing all the Germans who didn’t object to the concentration camps to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ryanair considering cancelling some routes because of MHQ.
    The airline said that routes to Paris, Brussels, Rome and Vienna are among those that could be axed in the coming weeks.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0425/1211998-ryanair/

If you read and comprehend what most people who are against MHQ are saying is that it is deeply unfair, flawed, lacking in intellect and hits the least among us the hardest. That’s the basis for those comparisons. A father who can show a negative PCR test (probably vaccinated too) not allowed to attend his sons funeral because of MHQ. On Thursday I watched an itinerant funeral of about 200 people, about half masked, perhaps some positive with covid. But that group stood their ground, in Ireland we only force morality on the least among us. So the comparisons are fair, humanity withheld for the vulnerable, but those who tell the gardai to F off go on as normal.

But you will believe what you want to believe, you will sleep well tonight.

People aren’t comparing the conditions of MHQ to concentration camps, they’re comparing all the Germans who didn’t object to the concentration camps to you.

You miss the point the only important thing is to keep the variants out. Anything that helps do that is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ryanair considering cancelling some routes because of MHQ.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0425/1211998-ryanair/

Strange that they'll cancel it because if MHQ but didn't last year when the the govt advice was not to travel and we had the 2 weeks of 'restrictive movements' advice in place

Really shows you how many chancers there was last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Strange that they'll cancel it because if MHQ but didn't last year when the the govt advice was not to travel and we had the 2 weeks of 'restrictive movements' advice in place

Just because planes were in the air doesn't mean they were full. Plenty of ghost flights as the fares had been paid and Ryanair would have to refund if they were cancelled.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

This is appalling.
    A Dutch man comes over to do his job, is forced into MHQ for unwittingly admitting he had been in Belgium.
    Is forcibly detained and now is not allowed to go home until he has spent 2 weeks in Hotel Jail.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1386360752634740743

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

This is what our country has become. I hope everyone wanting MHQ is proud.

https://twitter.com/peterdooleydub/status/1385613001005350918?s=21

So the wishes of 1 should trump the needs of the many?
    This is undoubtedly a sad case, but there is no guarantee that this person entering the country is not carrying some variant that could rip through society. There will always be extreme cases and everyone thinks that theirs is special, but we need to try and contain the situation and look at it in the big scheme of things. There have been thousands of unnecessary deaths in the past year and hundreds of thousands of people haven't been able to say goodbye to their loved ones. It's a horrible situation, but what makes this one more important than another similar case?

• Advertisement

This is appalling.
    A Dutch man comes over to do his job, is forced into MHQ for unwittingly admitting he had been in Belgium.
    Is forcibly detained and now is not allowed to go home until he has spent 2 weeks in Hotel Jail.

How is it appalling? He knew the rules before he came here and came anyway. The issue is of his own making. If you fly into any country (eg Australia) with a bag of contraband, you can't just decide you want to go home when you are detained. It is your own responsibility to be aware of and follow the laws of the country you are entering.

They're still there! Waiting, waiting for their chance to bring back some little present.

They're still there! Waiting, waiting for their chance to bring back some little present.

My final post on this thread:

Absolutely no need for personal attacks

How is it appalling? He knew the rules before he came here and came anyway. The issue is of his own making. If you fly into any country (eg Australia) with a bag of contraband, you can't just decide you want to go home when you are detained. It is your own responsibility to be aware of and follow the laws of the country you are entering.

He clearly didn't!
    He is a Dutch National and flew from Holland (not on the list) and was sent over by his company to do essential work for a food production company - normally no quarantine is required.
    He found himself in MHQ for unwittingly admitting he ad been in Belgium in the previous 2 weeks and is now unable to get released even though he is not going to do the job he was sent for any more and just wants to go home..

He clearly didn't!
    He is a Dutch National and flew from Holland (not on the list) and was sent over by his company to do essential work for a food production company - normally no quarantine is required.
    He found himself in MHQ for unwittingly admitting he ad been in Belgium in the previous 2 weeks and is now unable to get released even though he is not going to do the job he was sent for any more and just wants to go home..

A person with an ounce of intelligence would do their research before going to a foreign country these days. Due you think you could rock up to Australia and say I didn't know about MHQ and go back home.

He clearly didn't!

Unwittingly? So if he had said nothing, all is OK?
    The man does not meet the criteria for eligibility to enter the country, its his own fault.

Due you think you could rock up to Australia and say I didn't know about MHQ and go back home.

You can't just rock up to Australia though so the comparison is irrelevant.

You can't just rock up to Australia though so the comparison is irrelevant.
    You can't just rock up to Ireland either

You can't just rock up to Ireland either

You can from Amsterdam with a negative PCR test and an essential work letter like the guy in the story had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is appalling.

Where's the sense in preventing him leaving the country?

Advertisement