Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

This is slightly unrelated but is she not overstating her power as eu commisioner? member states agree to freedom of movement for eu citizens but we still have sovereignty of access by all non-eu nationals? The EU is not a state.

I wish she would overstep her power and as far as I'm concerned she's welcome to overstep some more if she'll bother about a small insignificant little place like Ireland on the wrong side of Brexit.

Because the country is rudderless, that's plain for all to see. As someone aptly put it lately, the crowd in charge here couldn't run a resident's association let alone a country. So yes please Ursula, overstep all you want, we badly need to be rescued!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

acequion wrote: »
    I wish she would overstep her power and as far as I'm concerned she's welcome to overstep some more if she'll bother about a small insignificant little place like Ireland on the wrong side of Brexit.

Because the country is rudderless, that's plain for all to see. As someone aptly put it lately, the crowd in charge here couldn't run a resident's association let alone a country. So yes please Ursula, overstep all you want, we badly need to be rescued!!

I agree with the result but not the journey. We must have a broken system to rely on external pressure to save our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

I presume the PCR tests taken during his MHQ would suffice for re-entry to Amsterdam, no?

The point of MHQ is for the govt to look like they know what they are doing. Due to the long list of exemptions and the short list of countries on "the list" it will be deemed by the govt to be a failure and no longer fit for purpose and it will be canned in June against the advice of public health doctors and the opposition.

The govt will lose the next election so the end result will be fairly progressive

PCR and Antigen on different days for NL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

acequion wrote: »

There is a plan you don't like it but it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Here's another one from Redcow Hotel Hotel California

Argentine woman learns of her father's passing on the first day of her MHQ imprisonment and is refused permission to leave to go to her father's funeral and care for her vulnerable mother.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1386752947971895300
    wrote:
    “I was so broken and I just wanted to go outside the hotel to take some air. I called seven times to reception and they weren’t returning our calls.”

Ms Mandato requested a review of her quarantine the following day so she could go home to be with her family. She had no idea her father had become unwell and said the news was a “total shock”.

“When I requested the quarantine exception to go to the airport and fly back, they said there weren’t sufficient grounds for me to leave the hotel quarantine. That was heartbreaking.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd wonder about the legality of forcibly holding a foreign national against their will in MHQ when they've expressed all they want to do is leave Ireland to return to their home country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Blut2 wrote: »
    I'd wonder about the legality of forcibly holding a foreign national against their will in MHQ when they've expressed all they want to do is leave Ireland to return to their home country.

To be fair there have been plenty of Irish people held against their will in a foreign country. Par for the course in the costa del sol.

I already told you and the papers also, no one at the premises will stop them returning to the airport to leave the state

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

To be fair there have been plenty of Irish people held against their will in a foreign country. Par for the course in the costa del sol.

Only when they've committed actual crimes, though.
    I already told you and the papers also, no one at the premises will stop them returning to the airport to leave the state

Why exactly do you think shes staying if thats the case? Or the Dutch man in a similar situation?

You should probably get onto the poor people stuck in quarantine and inform them they're staying there for no reason, if you apparently know more than them (and the journalists writing in the national papers).

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Yeah this. Why aren't they walking out? Very strange.

• Advertisement

Only when they've committed actual crimes, though.

You should get onto the poor person stuck in quarantine and inform her shes staying there for no reason so, if you know more than her (and the journalists writing in the national papers).

It is a crime here though. There are plenty of crimes in Spain which are not considered crimes here. habla espanol? People get locked up either way. Laws of the land and all.
    Dress
    In some parts of Spain it’s against the law to be in the street wearing only a bikini or swimming shorts/trunks. Being bare-chested has also been banned in some areas of Spain. Some local councils will impose fines if you’re caught wearing swimwear on the seafront promenade or the adjacent streets.

For security reasons, some public authorities in Spain don’t allow the burka or niqab to be worn in their buildings. If you visit town council buildings wearing a burka or niqab, you may be asked to remove it while inside.

So why has her appeal to leave been denied?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We don't know the full story. It's pointless discussing individual cases like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It is a crime here though. There are plenty of crimes in Spain which are not considered crimes here. habla espanol? People get locked up either way. Laws of the land and all.

They haven't committed a crime. They'd commit a crime if they left MHQ. That's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

wouldnt "unconditionally" mean with no conditions, as in no quarantine required ?

Either way, it is meaningless to the normal working person in Ireland or the EU (or anywhere in the world outside of UK/ US/ Israel) to have qurantine free travel for the vaccinated as we will be waiting until mid to late summer or early autumn to be fully vaccinated, so no quarantine/ test free travel for the tax-paying masses.

What it means is the EC won't impose EU-wide restrictions as they did last year

saabsaab wrote: »
    We don't know the full story. It's pointless discussing individual cases like this.

That's what the DoH said in the article, are you working for them?

IngazZagni wrote: »
    They haven't committed a crime. They'd commit a crime if they left MHQ. That's the difference.

Ok so then no issue.

This the denied appeal:

Father has Died
    Mother is Diabetic and needs support
    Brother is Bi-Polar and can't provide that support

Verdict: Not sufficient medical or Humanitarian grounds to end MHQ

https://twitter.com/AmyMolloyIndo/status/1386761224977797130

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This the denied appeal:

Father has Died
    Mother is Diabetic and needs support
    Brother is Bi-Polar and can't provide that support

Verdict: Not sufficient medical or Humanitarian grounds to end MHQ

https://twitter.com/AmyMolloyIndo/status/1386761224977797130

I feel for them but if they brought a vaccine-resistant variant in we'd be potentially closing up our schools again so we have to weigh their needs up against ours

I feel for them but if they brought a vaccine-resistant variant in we'd be potentially closing up our schools again so we have to weigh their needs up against ours

Do you even read the article before commenting?

She is already in Ireland, she is trying to leave Ireland to comfort her mother as her father has just died.

• Advertisement

Yeah this. Why aren't they walking out? Very strange.

Ask them. Maybe they assume that like their country, the soldier at the front door can actually stop them whereas in Ireland, he can't.

One is nothing to do with the other.

Ask them. Maybe they assume that like their country, the soldier at the front door can actually stop them whereas in Ireland, he can't.

Again, she will have to get a PCR test to fly and wait for the results. What should she do in the intervening 24hr period?
    Will the Gardai not come looking for her as she'll have absconded?

Some people don't want to break the law but they would like to be treated humanely, hence the appeal which was denied.

Again, she will have to get a PCR test to fly and wait for the results. What should she do in the intervening 24hr period?

Go back to the hotel. I would have thought most logical people, having paid for a hotel, would utilize it.
    Will the Gardai not come looking for her as she'll have absconded.

Only until she returns voluntarily.

Personal I don't understand why the mhq isn't subject to the same exemptions as home quarantine but then I didn't write the law

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

But they didn't and haven't (negative test on 17th April) There's so much 'but' bull**** even after the 'but' has not actually happened. 'Our' needs are not affected while hers is severely.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Ollie Cromwell

Isn't it about time Ireland abandoned the two week home quarantine rule for travellers from the UK ?
    It has never been necessary going the other way even when Ireland had the highest infection rate in the world.
    Although tbh it is largely symbolic.
    They just send a few meaningless texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I have not been fallowing this.
    I gather from what you are saying that any foreign national who has being taken to MHQ on arrival can fly back to their own Country at any time.
    I assume they will nave to have the Covid negative test before they leave.

Is this correct?.....

lawred2 wrote: »
    The papers?

Yes, even mhq was started the papers stated that the defence forces and private security had no powers of arrest or detention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

saabsaab wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You keep spouting the same nonsense every time these cases arise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yes, even mhq was started the papers stated that the defence forces and private security had no powers of arrest or detention.

What is it that you told 'the papers'?

Which papers?

Advertisement