Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

But how will Irish border officials know where you've been prior to arrival back here ?

How do they know now?

You would swear that airports and ports don't require any information the way people go on

That's precisely my point.
    If travel restrictions are not opened up by June Ireland will vote with its feet.
    Spain,Portugal,Italy and Greece will require nothing more than a negative PCR test which you can pick up at LGW/LHR for £80 ( and soon to be less when the VAT is scrapped on them ) with a 24-hour turnaround.A cheap night in LGW Premier Inn and a day on the turps down in Brighton while you wait and everything is sorted.

I don't get your point. You still need to obey the exact same laws returning from the uk that you do from Spain. You need the same pcr test by air.

Spain only requires a negative test now direct from Dublin.

Unless you mean via belfast for the entire thing purely to avoid the Non essential fine?
    In that case yeah, it could work. A pain in the hole and still technically illegal but probable ok.

Why wouldn't you get the pcr test here and just travel up the day off your flight though? Or even just get your teeth examined and polished in tenerife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm not talking about now where any non-essential travel from the UK is illegal.
    But two month's time.
    The virus will be dying out in the summer as viruses do.
    The UK will move heaven and earth to get its aviation and travel sector up and running again.
    You've only got to look at air fares between Ireland and the UK and how they're beginning to skyrocket because of the number bookings that are already being made.
    The government here and NPHET know they cannot hold back the tide.
    People have had enough of the most draconian lockdown measures in Europe.
    They want to party.

It's all dependent on the vaccine roll out and all indicators are that we won't be in the opening up position until the end of June (variant permitting) I can see that some countries could be on MHQ for many months more or longer if they don't have an effective vaccine programme.

faceman wrote: »
    This just gets funnier and funnier.

You know how many are sick in Ireland at the moment? Do you think MHQ has saved the rest of us?

It may well save us. Why wouldn't it? India has millions sick, is rolling out vaccines and is a likely breeding ground for new variants.

Flights are certainly getting expensive. Flew into Dublin from Heathrow last week and the Aer Lingus flight was full (excepting the middle seats that were kept free). Was about 3/4 full on the way back

Demand is definitely up, and I would imagine that the airlines will start putting on more flights soon enough to cater for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm not talking about now where any non-essential travel from the UK is illegal.
    But two month's time.
    The UK will move heaven and earth to get its aviation and travel sector up and running again.
    You've only got to look at air fares between Ireland and the UK and how they're beginning to skyrocket because of the number bookings that are already being made.
    They want to party.

It's funny because people said literally this a year ago, and here we are.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's funny because people said literally this a year ago, and here we are.

It probably takes a dip in the Summer naturally but last September people bringing Spanish variant back started it off again.

However, this shouldn't happen this year because of the vaccine roll out, hopefully.

But two month's time.
    They want to party.

Will first off, non essential travel FROM the uk is not illegal. Entering the state is subject to restrictions but not illegal.

So what is it your reliant on changing to make this situation work?

If non essential travel is ok then you can go to Dublin airport just as easily. I can't see the airport fine still being in existence of there's no local restrictions

saabsaab wrote: »
    It probably takes a dip in the Summer naturally but last September people bringing Spanish variant back started it off again.

However, this shouldn't happen this year because of the vaccine roll out, hopefully.

I don't recall a Spanish variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Suggestions tonight that intercounty travel could commence as early as May 10th with pints on the 24th. Easing up earlier than expected which hopefully bodes well for EU travel in a couple of months

• Advertisement

Non-essential international travel has been banned from the UK since mid-February until May 17th at the earliest.

Under their laws but not ours and as a republic citizen, your journey home would be essential.

You are traveling from the Republic so I'm trying to figure out what situation you foresee that makes this method necessary but also legal.

Feria40 wrote: »
    Suggestions tonight that intercounty travel could commence as early as May 10th with pints on the 24th. Easing up earlier than expected which hopefully bodes well for EU travel in a couple of months

From who? Don't be getting peoples hopes up

My point is if Ireland does not allow non-essential international travel by the summer the people will simply travel via the UK when green routes open up again and airlines are flying again.

Ok, I'm with you. Unlikely though if they open up internal travel and you will still be subject to quarantine in theory

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

From who? Don't be getting peoples hopes up

Irish Times, Irish Independent take your pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I don't recall a Spanish variant.

You probably didn't hear about it because it wasn't a variant of concern, in fairness there's been about a hundred variants, most having minor changes to the genome sequence and aren't really newsworthy only for detecting the travel of the virus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/majority-of-irish-covid-19-cases-come-from-variant-that-originated-in-spain-study-1.4394152%3fmode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

You probably didn't hear about it because it wasn't a variant of concern, in fairness there's been about a hundred variants, most having minor changes to the genome sequence and aren't really newsworthy only for detecting the travel of the virus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/majority-of-irish-covid-19-cases-come-from-variant-that-originated-in-spain-study-1.4394152%3fmode=amp

Yeah little did we know.
    A coronavirus variant that originated in Spanish farm workers has spread rapidly through much of Europe since the summer, and now accounts for the majority of new Covid-19 cases in several countries– and 60 per cent in Ireland.

An international team of scientists that has been tracking the virus through its genetic mutations has described the extraordinary spread of the variant, called 20A.EU1, in a research paper to be published on Thursday.
    Their work suggests that people returning from holiday in Spain played a key role in transmitting the virus across Europe, raising questions about whether the second wave that is sweeping the continent could have been reduced by improved screening at airports and other transport hubs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/majority-of-irish-covid-19-cases-come-from-variant-that-originated-in-spain-study-1.4394152

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In fairness the deadly virus is here and with the exception of a few mutations (which seem more transmissible without any massive increase in mortality). These variants as long as they exist in the world will get here eventually.

Are we really going to ever lockdown again once there is a base immunity in the population? I mean once vaccination etc has progressed sufficiently is covid going to be less dangerous than the flu?

I'm speaking specifically of the original poster bringing the virus back to his/her family... So far we've managed to keep the South African, Brazilian, and American variants out but I'd say that's more down to our nationwide lockdown, as we ease restrictions we will see the true benefit of MHQ... In answer to your last question - yes as long as we don't get a vaccine resistant variant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

MHQ, putting poor people into debt for going to their family's funerals.

https://twitter.com/AmyMolloyIndo/status/1387400732714864642

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Leo Varadkar has said he wants a plan in place for International Travel no later than end of May.

It looks like the DGC may be implemented unimpeded as designed, there really wasn’t much available to the Gov when they signed up to it.

Also it seems someone swapped Holohan’s pills as he recommended accelerated easing of restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But how will Irish border officials know where you've been prior to arrival back here ?

You are obliged to complete an online Passenger Locator Form on arrival into the state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

Do you need to go through passport control in Belfast when flying from London ? Red list countries for UK and Ireland are different. There are no EU countries in UK's list. What is stopping people from flying into Belfast first then ? I hope NI shares passenger information with Republic. Otherwise MHQ is kinda pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

gozunda wrote: »
    You are obliged to complete an online Passenger Locator Form on arrival into the state

You are required to fill in the form but i do not know if info if shared.
    The last time i came into Belfast was before the big change here in January.
    The last time i flew into Dublin (January) more than half the passengers were from NI.
    Personally i think its crazy that us as an EU country have MHQ for EU citizens and we are a member where the UK allow travel and they just left.
    I think the pre-flight test + home quarintine should be enough for Irish residents which seems to be what most countries.
    How to deal with tourists is separate and that's for Government and industry to sort out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Not if you travel via Belfast.

The UK has a passenger locator form as well and asks the address of the location where you will be self-isolating. You would need to self-isolate in an Airbnb in the north to fulfill the requirements, really. Also, they require you to have pre-booked two covid tests at your own expense. I believe the current line is that even green countries on their traffic light system will trigger a testing requirement. Everything is in flux, of course..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Dr. Em wrote: »
    The UK has a passenger locator form as well and asks the address of the location where you will be self-isolating. You would need to self-isolate in an Airbnb in the north to fulfill the requirements, really. Also, they require you to have pre-booked two covid tests at your own expense. I believe the current line is that even green countries on their traffic light system will trigger a testing requirement. Everything is in flux, of course..
    when things settle down it is hard to imagine the UK having a stricter regime than Ireland

Ireland has this catholic obedience thing going on, an unquestioning deference to the people making the decisions, and the UK to put it mildly doesn't. They also have politicans in the government who are very anti lockdown and anti restriction which isnt the case in Ireland where Tony has a free reign and politicans and the public let him alone dictate any relaxation of restrictions or implementation of new ones.

All that considered, youd imagine the UK will have a system with less restrictions than Ireland and with a new hardline DUP leader likely, the north will take their lead from "the mainland" and not (in their eyes) the popist, gay loving, abortionist heritics down south.

We're talking about a few weeks down the line if international travel opens up from the UK and not for Ireland.
    There will be no restrictions or quarantining requirements between GB and NI.
    Even current advice on self-isolation between the two is advisory and not law.
    And if international travel opens up from Belfast it will be impossible to stop Irish citizens availing of it.
    Plans for travel to green countries do not include PCR testing on return.

I'm not disputing that rules don't apply if you are simply travelling NI-ENGLAND-NI. This is the latest I've seen for travelling outside of the UK, and mind, that is after travel has 'opened up'.

Green

No isolation or quarantine will be needed, but you will still have to take PCR tests before you return to the UK, and once you arrive.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52544307

when things settle down it is hard to imagine the UK having a stricter regime than Ireland

Ireland has this catholic obedience thing going on, an unquestioning deference to the people making the decisions, and the UK to put it mildly doesn't. They also have politicans in the government who are very anti lockdown and anti restriction which isnt the case in Ireland where Tony has a free reign and politicans and the public let him alone dictate any relaxation of restrictions or implementation of new ones.

All that considered, youd imagine the UK will have a system with less restrictions than Ireland and with a new hardline DUP leader likely, the north will take their lead from "the mainland" and not (in their eyes) the popist, gay loving, abortionist heritics down south.

Economics are the driver here, not religion. Catholic Spain has some of the mildest travel restrictions and Lutheran Norway has practically banned all travel. Ireland has a long history of copying anything the UK does, partially to keep the CTA working. I would expect them to end up with broadly similar restrictions - just as is the case now.

The test before return to the UK will be a lateral flow not PCR test - probably a quick swab at the airport.
    The PCR test is not needed until at least the second day of return and Irish citizens will be back home before then - the UK and Ireland do not share information on PLF.
    All of this to be reviewed in the UK by June 28th but I expect an EU vaccine passport to be in place by then anyway so I think all this might be largely immaterial.
    My point is I think the government here will find it impossible to stop people going on holiday this summer.

It says PCR test in the quote. It also says that you will have to fill out the passenger locator form. The current form requires you to pre-book (and prepay) your after-flight test and put the details on the form. Why does everyone blithely assume the UK will have no restrictions in patent contradiction to every story coming out of the UK? Yes, they could change their plans, and they well might if the vaccinations keep levels lower than they hope. My point is that everyone seems to be certain that Irish restrictions on travel are going to be stricter than they say and that UK restrictions are going to be miles less strict than they say. It makes no sense.
    I'm not arguing at all with your point that the Irish government will have to recognise reality or else people will go on holiday anyway.

MHQ, putting poor people into debt for going to their family's funerals.

https://twitter.com/AmyMolloyIndo/status/1387400732714864642

These situations have my sympathies. It's one thing to get on a plane knowing your traveling to one of the designated countries but this is harsh, very harsh. I would imagine the flights alone aren't that cheap to begin with. I don't have 1900 just sitting around

PCR testing will only apply where travellers have not had vaccines.
    What would be the point of developing an app-based vaccine passport and still insist on PCR testing before and after return to the UK ?

That may be so. Do you have a link where it has been confirmed?
    That is also what the EU passport is considering, isn't it?
    If both of those are confirmed, it will be just as easy for vaccinated Irish people to fly out of Dublin.

• Advertisement

No link because nothing has been confirmed - just a Brit minister Grant Shapps confirming in an interview that the current NHS app will be used as a Covid passport and that the traffic lights system for international travel could be in place by May 17th and this will be reviewed again in June.
    I don't think anyone over there seriously believes Spain,Portugal and Greece won't be packed with UK tourists by July.
    And yes my whole point is that despite what the government here might say the Irish will also be there either via Dublin, Belfast or the UK.
    Which means tourism to Ireland will also be open by July despite the best efforts of some in government to kill it off for another summer.

The travel agents over there have noted a slump in demand for summer and a rise in the autumn. My guess is that both the UK and Irish systems will be just loose enough to allow those who really need a holiday, and can shoulder the expense, to take one, but still restrictive. My fully vaccinated family over there - avid travellers who travelled even last summer - have already said travelling this summer would be too much hassle and expense. Ironically, they consider Ireland the only viable option! Others will travel - maybe more from Ireland due to pent-up demand, but most families with varying ages will probably stay at home.

Advertisement