Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

MHQ, putting poor people into debt for going to their family's funerals.

https://twitter.com/AmyMolloyIndo/status/1387400732714864642

These situations have my sympathies. It's one thing to get on a plane knowing your traveling to one of the designated countries but this is harsh, very harsh. I would imagine the flights alone aren't that cheap to begin with. I don't have 1900 just sitting around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

PCR testing will only apply where travellers have not had vaccines.
    What would be the point of developing an app-based vaccine passport and still insist on PCR testing before and after return to the UK ?

That may be so. Do you have a link where it has been confirmed?
    That is also what the EU passport is considering, isn't it?
    If both of those are confirmed, it will be just as easy for vaccinated Irish people to fly out of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

No link because nothing has been confirmed - just a Brit minister Grant Shapps confirming in an interview that the current NHS app will be used as a Covid passport and that the traffic lights system for international travel could be in place by May 17th and this will be reviewed again in June.
    I don't think anyone over there seriously believes Spain,Portugal and Greece won't be packed with UK tourists by July.
    And yes my whole point is that despite what the government here might say the Irish will also be there either via Dublin, Belfast or the UK.
    Which means tourism to Ireland will also be open by July despite the best efforts of some in government to kill it off for another summer.

The travel agents over there have noted a slump in demand for summer and a rise in the autumn. My guess is that both the UK and Irish systems will be just loose enough to allow those who really need a holiday, and can shoulder the expense, to take one, but still restrictive. My fully vaccinated family over there - avid travellers who travelled even last summer - have already said travelling this summer would be too much hassle and expense. Ironically, they consider Ireland the only viable option! Others will travel - maybe more from Ireland due to pent-up demand, but most families with varying ages will probably stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar has said he wants a plan in place for International Travel no later than end of May.

It looks like the DGC may be implemented unimpeded as designed, there really wasn’t much available to the Gov when they signed up to it.

Also it seems someone swapped Holohan’s pills as he recommended accelerated easing of restrictions.

Bit of an arsehole comment about the man who probably kept us all alive. Also worth remembering that the govt said NPHET were on board with the plans at the start of December - something which NPHET consistently denied and the govt only recently admitted to lying about

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Economics are the driver here, not religion. Catholic Spain has some of the mildest travel restrictions and Lutheran Norway has practically banned all travel. Ireland has a long history of copying anything the UK does, partially to keep the CTA working. I would expect them to end up with broadly similar restrictions - just as is the case now.

Agreed, religion has very little to do with those of us who understand the restrictions... In fact many catholic religious leaders were less concerned by the virus than they were about church attendances

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1649066/world

https://www.politico.eu/article/mass-protests-coronavirus-covid19-lockdown-tests-italy-greece-france-germany-priests-patience/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Bit of an arsehole comment about the man who probably kept us all alive.

OMG that's the most deluded thing I've every read :pac::pac::pac:

The man who probably kept us all alive.

• Advertisement

For all those that had a dig / go at me for saying that people could walk out of the hotel without being stopped by staff or soldiers:

"Mr Coveney said the agencies involved are committed to making it work but the Defence Forces were not there to stop people leaving."

And

"The minister said if anyone is leaving the centre, gardaí would be notified and that they would "take appropriate action"."

(https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0328/1206608-coronavirus-quarantine-hotel/)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Bit of an arsehole comment about the man who probably kept us all alive.

Sorry I’ve only come off the floor from laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For all those that had a dig / go at me for saying that people could walk out of the hotel without being stopped by staff or soldiers:

"Mr Coveney said the agencies involved are committed to making it work but the Defence Forces were not there to stop people leaving."

And

"The minister said if anyone is leaving the centre, gardaí would be notified and that they would "take appropriate action"."

(https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0328/1206608-coronavirus-quarantine-hotel/)

Not sure why they are having a dig at you as it was always made clear that these were not lockdown hotels and that any absconded would be dealt with as you desbribe. What surprises me is that they are using city centre hotels where there are limited scope for exercise areas and more attractions to abscond. The pilot guy was treated poorly, if his own testimony can be accepted, given that he suggested they should not release him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A slump from when though ?

Politicially I can't see the UK giving up the advantage it has gained from the successful vaccine roll-out programme to not let people head off on their summer holidays.
    If Greece,Spain and Portugal say we're happy to accept your tourists but the Brits say ah well we're not so sure think of the criticism that they'll face.
    My bet is a swift roll-out of vaccine passports in the next few weeks ( an internationally-acceptable QR code on the EU or UK versions linked to airport passport scanners) and an opening up of travel in a serious way starting in July and going strong by August.
    This linked to cheaper and faster PCR testing for those who won't be jabbed in time.

The libertarian side of the U.K. government recognises that they should not preclude/demonise foreign travel but the practical/economic side wants to incentivise domestic travel (summer of fun) to boost the economy. There are some of the same elements here.

OMG that's the most deluded thing I've every read :pac::pac::pac:

The man who probably kept us all alive.
    Jack1985 wrote: »
    Sorry I’ve only come off the floor from laughing.

Yeah... Sure... It's not like we have fewer deaths in this country because of his lockdown advice last March or anything :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Would you would be praising him if we had the same death rates as the states, the UK, Brazil or India?

• Advertisement

Would you would be praising him if we had the same death rates as the states, the UK, Brazil or India?

India has 147 deaths per 1m population.
    Ireland has 987

We have almost 7 times more.

Ireland has 987

India are at the start of a new wave, most of their deaths for this wave probably haven't been recorded yet

But while we're on the figure of deaths per million

UK 127k deaths on population of 65m = 1,950 deaths per million
    USA 575k deaths on population of 328m = 1,753 deaths per million
    Brazil 400k deaths on population of 211m = 1,895 deaths per million

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Yeah... Sure... It's not like we have fewer deaths in this country because of his lockdown advice last March or anything :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

if Ireland (aka Tony) was a little more balanced in their (his) approach then people wouldnt have gone plain bonkers at christmas jumping through windows of a hotel to get pints and get away from the Gardai, leading to the worst covid rates in the world at the time.

I'm sitting here able to do click and collect at my local shops (and I have a drawer of fresh undies from Primark last month), go shopping in person with a test, with a haircut from just before easter, was at mass on Easter Sunday (never thought that'd be a highlight) , had free travel all over the continent during the summer and had a great and relaxing holiday in Italy, had beergardens and bars open all last summer until October , and all in all am very restricted in what I can do but at least where I am (not Ireland) theres a weee bit of leeway by the authorities that stops you completely loosing the plot

India are at the start of a new wave, most of their deaths for this wave probably haven't been recorded yet

I doubt they are going to multiply their numbers by 7.

Anyway thanks for the laugh about our saviour Tony.; back on topic.

Bit of an arsehole comment about the man who probably kept us all alive. Also worth remembering that the govt said NPHET were on board with the plans at the start of December - something which NPHET consistently denied and the govt only recently admitted to lying about

"Kept us all alive" .... https://extra.ie/2020/08/23/news/irish-news/untested-hospital-patients-covid

Only in Ireland could someone who did this - seeding the nursing homes with COVID patients for THREE MONTHS - and also attempted to bury the cervical check scandal be lauded as a hero.
    According to data published for the first time in this week’s report, the HSE sent 4,460 untested patients from COVID-hit acute hospitals into nursing homes in the three months between the beginning of March and the end of May.

At the same time, 401 COVID-confirmed acute hospital patients — who had had COVID at some point during their hospital stay — and 11 Covid-probable patients were transferred after being cleared by tests.

Under HSE guidance in place throughout this period, these patients were deemed eligible for transfer to care homes even if they were showing symptoms and had been identified as close contacts of others who were COVID-positive.

if Ireland (aka Tony) was a little more balanced in their (his) approach then people wouldnt have gone plain bonkers at christmas jumping through windows of a hotel to get pints and get away from the Gardai, leading to the worst covid rates in the world at the time.

I'm sitting here able to do click and collect at my local shops (and I have a drawer of fresh undies from Primark last month), go shopping in person with a test, with a haircut from just before easter, was at mass on Easter Sunday (never thought that'd be a highlight) , had free travel all over the continent during the summer and had a great and relaxing holiday in Italy, had beergardens and bars open all last summer until October , and all in all am very restricted in what I can do but at least where I am (not Ireland) theres a weee bit of leeway by the authorities that stops you completely loosing the plot

I don't see the relevance, do you want a medal for your foresight to not live in Ireland or something?

I doubt they are going to multiply their numbers by 7.

Anyway thanks for the laugh about our saviour Tony.; back on topic.

You're the one giving me a laugh

What's next? The cervical check scandal that the Scally report cleared him of any wrongdoing in or maybe you want to blame the HSE policy of putting sick people into nursing homes on him?

On second thoughts it looks like somebody's beaten you to it :D:D:D
    "Kept us all alive" .... https://extra.ie/2020/08/23/news/irish-news/untested-hospital-patients-covid

Only in Ireland could someone who did this - seeding the nursing homes with COVID patients for THREE MONTHS - and also attempted to bury the cervical check scandal be lauded as a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Only in Ireland could someone who did this - seeding the nursing homes with COVID patients for THREE MONTHS.
    That was HSE guidance, not the CMO. Neither the CMO nor NPHET run the HSE nor offer them any advice.

I don't see the relevance, do you want a medal for your foresight to not live in Ireland or something?

Nope, he's just pointing out what a backward overpaid team of health "experts" (basically Tony Holohan ruling by diktat and overruling NPHET and NIAC while the government and opposition look on and do nothing) destroying our economy and killing people from non COVID disease, stalling our vaccine rollout by taking anti vaxx positions, using failed modelling and refusing to use antigen testing.

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Data on infections in MHQ - just 5 VOCs.

One in every 33 people who has entered mandatory hotel quarantine in Ireland since the international travel rule began has tested positive for Covid-19.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0429/1212842-mandatory-quarantine/

• Advertisement

Ireland has 987

facepalm

is_that_so wrote: »

That's 5 people who won't spread the variants on who otherwise would have. Fantastic news.

facepalm

The India you know, it's where everyone has access to medical care and all deaths are investigated?

The numbers are undoubtedly far worse and growing by the thousands daily now.

Good news today I thought. Country getting back to normal and the eu one step closer to a unified system for travel.

Only bad news for those expecting the eu to save us:

"Member states, however, want to retain the option of those measures if they deem them necessary, pointing out that public health issues are their responsibility, not Brussels"

The India you know, it's where everyone has access to medical care and all deaths are investigated?

The numbers are undoubtedly far worse and growing by the thousands daily now.

exactly. Hence my facepalm response to the Ireland is worse than India comment

exactly. Hence my facepalm response to the Ireland is worse than India comment

Ah. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That's 5 people who won't spread the variants on who otherwise would have. Fantastic news.

Not to mention all those who didn't travel as they didn't want the bother of MHQ. Many more cases I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not to mention all those who didn't travel as they didn't want the bother of MHQ. Many more cases I'd say.

If only you hadn't all partied at Christmas.

"We all partied" you might say, but no saabsaab, most of us stayed away as you all had your meaningful Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

"We all partied" you might say, but no saabsaab, most of us stayed away as you all had your meaningful Christmas.

Don't see the relevance to MHQ preventing cases coming in but no, no parties here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

What's Christmas got to do with MHQ?

Advertisement