Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

What's Christmas got to do with MHQ?

It has everything to do with MHQ. It's the constant need for Irish people to blame the something else. It's not us, it's those travelling. It's not us, it's those who came home for Christmas. It's not us, it's students having gaf parties. Bunch of hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It has everything to do with MHQ. It's the constant need for Irish people to blame the something else. It's not us, it's those travelling. It's not us, it's those who came home for Christmas. It's not us, it's students having gaf parties. Bunch of hypocrites.

The virus came here first through Italy then the Spanish variant, the UK variant and what next all from travel. Basic logic. Don't piss on us and tell us it's rain.

saabsaab wrote: »
    The virus came here first through Italy then the Spanish variant, the UK variant and what next all from travel. Basic logic. Don't piss on us and tell us it's rain.

And how is it spreading? You may stop licking door handles lads.

How does it get here in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You're asking how a human-to-human transmissible virus that was first discovered on the other side of the world got here? People movement would be the obvious reason I think but maybe the wind was blowing very strong one of the days in 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Still not sure what Christmas has to do with MHQ - not sure "everything" is quite accurate.

Beyond an increase in pressure to look into an already discussed topic what happened at Xmas is irrelevant.

MHQ is to reduce the risk of other strains entering the country and being able to spread - this has been laid out as the clear goal - so your argument about blame blah blah blah is not really standing up.

You seem upset by MHQ - if its a case of being inconvenient for you or someone you know to travel - then maybe it is working, as the cost will ensure only essential travel from the impacted nations.

I don't think the logic of your argument is sticking - anger at MHQ seems to be clouding someones rational reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

For the 864th time, we are going to continue to have people coming in from all of those countries even if they're all added to MHQ. We are not Australia. We are not NZ. Our economy is dependent on a significant number of people entering the country every day. MHQ is not going to keep the virus out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some on here seem very hostile to MHQ

MHQ is required and is part of the tools available to keep the virus levels down

Still not sure what Christmas has to do with MHQ - not sure "everything" is quite accurate.

Beyond an increase in pressure to look into an already discussed topic what happened at Xmas is irrelevant.

MHQ is to reduce the risk of other strains entering the country and being able to spread - this has been laid out as the clear goal - so your argument about blame blah blah blah is not really standing up.

You seem upset by MHQ - if its a case of being inconvenient for you or someone you know to travel - then maybe it is working, as the cost will ensure only essential travel from the impacted nations.

It's not working, it's pushing people into making longer journeys. I would have had a short trip to Vienna airport and flew from there but since it's on the nonsensical list I can't go through Austria.
    Now I need to get on what is going to be a packed train (used to be every 2 hours but cut to one per day) for 3.5 hours to go to another country that isn't on Donnelly's magic list and fly from there.
    I'll be home soon, fancy a gaf party FileNotFound?

• Advertisement

MHQ is required and is part of the tools available to keep the virus levels down

Because of the unknown non-existant variants :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Sure let’s just stop the reopening altogether. It’ll keep numbers down, and that’s all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Sure let’s just stop the reopening altogether. It’ll keep numbers down, and that’s all that matters.

You cannot rationalise with zealots. The idea that we should close our borders and not have negative social and economic consequences is ludicrous. Quite frankly, if this country continues on this path then I am gone. Thankfully I have transferable skills and can move abroad quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its a logical position to put

If travel is to be repressed with all measures possible as covid is to repressed by all measures possible, to exclude barely a handful of travel cases, then how can it be allowed to let Dublin people free access to the rest of the country by removing the 5km limit, when theres 1000s of cases per week on the loose in Dublin ???

on one side, a handfull of cases over a month from travel, on the other 1000s of cases per week from Dublin people.
    If someone cannot see which of those scenarios is the bigger danger then they are a troll or have some sort of issue with plain logic.

Even the EU said the same. With the super restrictive measures in Ireland like the 5km travel limit the MHQ is difficult to query. Which on the flipside means that if the 5km limit goes, then so must the MHQ

It's not working, it's pushing people into making longer journeys. I would have had a short trip to Vienna airport and flew from there but since it's on the nonsensical list I can't go through Austria.
    Now I need to get on what is going to be a packed train (used to be every 2 hours but cut to one per day) for 3.5 hours to go to another country that isn't on Donnelly's magic list and fly from there.
    I'll be home soon, fancy a gaf party FileNotFound?

Maybe you should stay where you are? Like most people in Ireland are doing.

So from my understanding you are upset the rules don't suit a potentially unnecessary journey home?? So now you will try and evade them and are asking if i want to party when you should be doing your at home Quarantine - I assume your aware that you are still required to stay in a room in your set location for the requisite number of days? Or is that also an inconvenience to be gotten around?

For a moment i thought you had some kind of legitimate argument against MHQ.

So from my understanding you are upset the rules don't suit a potentially unnecessary journey home?? So now you will try and evade them and are asking if i want to party when you should be doing your at home Quarantine - I assume your aware that you are still required to stay in a room in your set location for the requisite number of days? Or is that also an inconvenience to be gotten around?

Like it or not, squirrel man represents the legitimate argument.

We can’t keep out variants. Full stop. Not without a NZ MHQ for all, no questions and no exceptions. Including the north. Partial MHQ allows variants in, either through behaviour as described, or essential cross border travel, or land / sea based freight etc

So given that the best that can be hoped for is a SLOWER introduction of variants, the next question is around proportionality of the MHQ response

IMO, the MHQ has a disproportionate cost in achieving the aim of slowing the import of variants. It penalises those travelling for emotionally vital family reasons and, as we have seen, prohibits what is some pretty essential business travel (infrastructure maintenance for example)

The objective is not worth the cost

Luckily we will see it gone soon, as European and American people are vaccinated and the EU certificate comes in. And good riddance

And the latest out of the UK is that there is zero evidence of the Indian variant spreading faster or being more dangerous

Like it or not, squirrel man represents the legitimate argument.

We can’t keep out variants. Full stop. Not without a NZ MHQ for all, no questions and no exceptions. Including the north. Partial MHQ allows variants in, either through behaviour as described, or essential cross border travel, or land / sea based freight etc

So given that the best that can be hoped for is a SLOWER introduction of variants, the next question is around proportionality of the MHQ response

IMO, the MHQ has a disproportionate cost in achieving the aim of slowing the import of variants. It penalises those travelling for emotionally vital family reasons and, as we have seen, prohibits what is some pretty essential business travel (infrastructure maintenance for example)

The objective is not worth the cost

Luckily we will see it gone soon, as European and American people are vaccinated and the EU certificate comes in. And good riddance

And the latest out of the UK is that there is zero evidence of the Indian variant spreading faster or being more dangerous

I am not even a fan of MHQ - it was more squirrels, poor me, thought process on it. He openly tells us he will increase his risks to avoid MHQ and get into the country - from this I take it he/she will ignore all guidance that doesn't quite suit.

I just don't see the big issue with it - it only affects those that are travelling (which like it or not we're not really supposed to be). Saying it penalises family travelling for X, Y & Z reasons makes no sense to me when people in Ireland are under similar restrictions (call them penalties if you want). I know plenty of people have missed funerals, weddings, birthdays and every other part of life during this, and still are - hard to justify exempting people from outside Ireland from rules that are in place for those within.

In fairness all we hear on the news at the moment in India yet when you equate it to the UK on population it is running at 4 times less cases and 10 times less deaths than the UK at its worst - Just happens to have 1.4 billion people and an inadequate health system.

I guess it is a case of slowing the entry until vaccinations reach X point - which all going well won't be long.

Maybe its the lack of impact it has on my life that leaves me questioning posters dislike of it.

Stayed away long enough. I did the whole good boy approach as people back home couldn't care less. Missed a funeral last October and there is another one steadily coming down the tracks that I won't miss. Hence why the scramble this week to find a way to Ireland, where I'll be staying for a few months.

Don't you worry, I'll be isolating, and I'll be covid negative, filled out the locator form so the gards can come knocking if they want.
    Meanwhile Irish people with covid wander free in the community.

Stayed away long enough. I did the whole good boy approach as people back home couldn't care less. Missed a funeral last October and there is another one steadily coming down the tracks that I won't miss. Hence why the scramble this week to find a way to Ireland, where I'll be staying for a few months.

Don't you worry, I'll be isolating, and I'll be covid negative, filled out the locator form so the gards can come knocking if they want.
    Meanwhile Irish people with covid wander free in the community.

You really seem to be angry at the people in Ireland (the irony of a non compliant person complaining about others non compliance). Being in the country I have been through the same and stayed compliant.

Having an attitude "the good boy approach" makes me think you probably won't comply with much, but then I don't know you and can only judge on words typed and the admission to working around the rules in place here.

Guess I just have a different mentality - don't agree with lots of the rules but will comply as that's what's expected. Them be rules and all.

I am not even a fan of MHQ - it was more squirrels, poor me, thought process on it. He openly tells us he will increase his risks to avoid MHQ and get into the country - from this I take it he/she will ignore all guidance that doesn't quite suit.

I'm not IN Austria but it would be the easiest way to get home. So you are saying I should suck it up and go via Austria instead of the added risk of a 3.5 hour train?
    If YOU paid for the hotel I probably wouldn't mind half as much.

• Advertisement

You really seem to be angry at the people in Ireland (the irony of a non compliant person complaining about others non compliance). Being in the country I have been through the same and stayed compliant.

Having an attitude "the good boy approach" makes me think you probably won't comply with much, but then I don't know you and can only judge on words typed and the admission to working around the rules in place here.

Guess I just have a different mentality - don't agree with lots of the rules but will comply as that's what's expected. Them be rules and all.

I'm angry because I know plenty of people in Ireland who weren't "all in this together" and I know of the countless rules they were breaking. Now that doesn't mean most of you weren't following them but I know who I know. While on my side I've been following all the rules where I am, same as yourself.

Now you are calling me non compliant but I am perfectly entitled to make a journey back to Ireland. I'm not lying on the passenger locator form, I haven't been through red countries. The government has advised against non-essential travel, well I feel my journey is essential.

I'm annoyed about the nonsensical list of countries, and I think the whole MHQ was just to shut up those screaming on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I just don't see the big issue with it - it only affects those that are travelling (which like it or not we're not really supposed to be)..
    Travel is not equivalent to tourism

I havent been to Ireland since xmas 2019 and the way things are going who knows when i will get back. So like yourself MHQ doesnt really affect me as i have no intention to flit over and back any time soon.

But, i have 80+ year old parents. At this stage they could get ill or die unexpectedly, as old people tend to do, or need help round the house should they have an accident.
    With MHQ though, as implemented now, not even the death of a parent or child is a reason to get out of it. Its brutally inhumane and inflexible to the realities of life.

MHQ is not perfect but it isn't intended to be permanent just until we can get the vaccines out (stated this several times now). It has a role not least to stop the import of new variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I remember a few weeks ago the Government were asked to clarify the MHQ by the EU.
    I think there was 10 days to reply which we would be past now.
    What ever became of that....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Another case where the DoH releases an inmate before the judge gets a chance to rule against them

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1388497947575431170?s=21

Again, a truck driver and a sea freight company bringing in medicine and food from China and Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Few weeks ago some were saying when 'hard luck' MHQ cases starting coming out, 'It's tough but those are the rules, suck it up etc', and now weeks later and plenty of people released because of fear of courts, it's 'It's not perfect but....'

The fluidity of opinion just to be defending something is quite funny at times. Verbal contortion.

Corholio wrote: »
    Few weeks ago some were saying when 'hard luck' MHQ cases starting coming out, 'It's tough but those are the rules, suck it up etc', and now weeks later and plenty of people released because of fear of courts, it's 'It's not perfect but....'

The fluidity of opinion just to be defending something is quite funny at times. Verbal contortion.

I don't get your point.

Corholio wrote: »

Your opinion should be fluid. It should be open to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I remember a few weeks ago the Government were asked to clarify the MHQ by the EU.
    I think there was 10 days to reply which we would be past now.
    What ever became of that....

I presume Ireland made the point that France put a complete stop on travel from Ireland back in December/January so the EU were told to f**k themselves

Advertisement