Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I wonder how the US would react if any of us crossed their border ignoring a similar no nonessential travel ban?

I’m guessing probably not very politely or calmly.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

With over 286,000 subscribers, this is huge in helping us get the message through to Mehole & Co

Well done Reddit Ireland :)

Some difference to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

They have to do something.. either ban, or force a 14 day quarantine. Stick them all in Mosney for 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

No doubt you feel the same about driving a car.

After all 300 people die needlessly every year.

Why aren't you campaigning for everyone to walk everywhere?

Not a comparison in any way, shape or form. Have an oul think for yourself before going near a keyboard again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have no idea if this is true but I heard over the weekend that if you want to visit Thailand, you have to pay for a designated hotel for 14 days and you cannot leave the hotel.
    That is what we should be doing here with every flight that lands.
    Either that or it should be a criminal offence with a massive fine if you are not at your quarantine location for more than 1-2 hours for 14 days.
    Anything less than this and we will be back to square 1 before we know it.

Foreigners aren't allowed into Thailand at the moment unless they have Thai family or business visas.

Cambodia takes a $3000 deposit on arrival and tests immediately. If anyone on your flight tests positive you're taken to quarantine for 14 days and are tested regularly.

If you test positive you're hospitalised and tested regularly.

It's $1500 to be cremated should things not go well.

Assuming nobody on your flight tests positive you get your money back minus the cost of tests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As much as I’m not keen to be allowing US tourists in at the moment, turns out the Dallas flights issue was all hysteria.

https://jrnl.ie/5148726

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

faceman wrote: »
    As much as I’m not keen to be allowing US tourists in at the moment, turns out the Dallas flights issue was all hysteria.

https://jrnl.ie/5148726

Only 20, that's OK then...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

unhappys10 wrote: »

And this evening, Minister Simon Coveney said that US passengers only make up 200-250 of about 4,500 passengers coming into Ireland per day. He said that the majority are Irish people flying home, and there were only 16 people on the recent Dallas flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

And this evening, Minister Simon Coveney said that US passengers only make up 200-250 of about 4,500 passengers coming into Ireland per day. He said that the majority are Irish people flying home, and there were only 16 people on the recent Dallas flight.

That's still a lot. I think both Ireland and the UK (where I'm living) should just say flights from the US won't be landing and people need to leave immediately until the virus is managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We need to be stricter at airports and ferry ports also at NI border, forced quarantine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

That's still a lot. I think both Ireland and the UK (where I'm living) should just say flights from the US won't be landing and people need to leave immediately until the virus is managed.

You can't stop Irish citizens from coming home.

You can't stop Irish citizens from coming home.

Why not give a deadline to say return by this stage because it isn't safe?

It was similar during the outbreak in Wuhan, and arguably more serious in the US than it ever has been in China.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It takes one person on a flight to get things rolling badly, just one if they don’t quarantine. Do what Oz/New Zealand do, into a hotel for two weeks that you have to pay for yourself. Proper testing during that time, also helps some hotels out with nominal fee. We need to get this sorted and in place before the winter.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    We need to be stricter at airports and ferry ports also at NI border, forced quarantine

You're wrong about NI. It is a completely different ballpark to the US. Indeed the whole of the UK is very different to the US.

You can see some data here, which effectively shows that NI is faring much better than much of mainland Britain. The virus is pretty much eliminated from NI at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

How many Irish citizens travelling to the US??? ZERO! not unless they have a green card or are dual citizens!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

unhappys10 wrote: »

Bear in mind, Spain has been open to tourists since June 21st. All the clusters here since then are unrelated to travel. Similar trends are being seen across the EU

That being said Ireland is taking travellers from additional high risk countries. But the evidence as to whether it impacts our numbers in a meaningful way is yet to be seen

As I said I’m also anxious about US and U.K. tourists coming in. However we need to look at the stats too. It’s also important to note not everyone on those flights are tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

tiredcity wrote: »
    Definitely a few American accents kicking around Wexford town, especially today. None of whom seemed to be wearing masks. Not into public shaming or an outright ban but a bit of cop on would be nice. That applies to some of the locals too. Complacency has well and truly set in for many.

Kick 'em out ! :D Ireland is for Irish !!! Let's seal the borders !

gral6 wrote: »
    Kick 'em out ! :D Ireland is for Irish !!! Let's seal the borders !

That’s not what anyone is saying and adding in the emoji doesn’t make it any less pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

With how much of a looper Trump is I genuinely reckon the government here is terrified of the reprecusions if they banned flights in from American whats to stop him turning round and saying we ban American companies from setting up in Ireland

With how much of a looper Trump is I genuinely reckon the government here is terrified of the reprecusions if they banned flights in from American whats to stop him turning round and saying we ban American companies from setting up in Ireland

How could he do that exactly?

Law in respect to incorporating companies in Ireland is a matter for Ireland.

He's already banned travel from the UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

He can do whatever he wants

He can do whatever he wants

He can't dictate Ireland's laws as far as I can tell.

He can't dictate Ireland's laws as far as I can tell.

Look what he’s done regarding US companies and Huawei. He’s a nutcase.

Trump has enough problems to be worrying about. Besides the whole Shengen area has borders closed to the US

Those Aer Lingus flights are also carrying freight and I imagine some of the other airlines are too.

He hasn’t banned travel. My American wife and I can fly to America tomorrow, as we could all the way through the pandemic. He’s banned non Americans or those without a green card from entering. We could easily do the same for Americans (not for the British, as a British passport is, in effect, an Irish residency permit)

He hasn’t banned travel. My American wife and I can fly to America tomorrow, as we could all the way through the pandemic. He’s banned non Americans or those without a green card from entering. We could easily do the same for Americans (not for the British, as a British passport is, in effect, an Irish residency permit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

We could easily and commercially do that number of swab test for those, be they Irish, American or any other nationality, coming in from high risk countries & eliminate all the concerns and let them take it easy.

Results within 24-48 hours and grab contact tracing details. Also would be no harm ensuring they’re setup with with a cheap, prepaid phone to be contacted on. Non EU passengers are way less likely to answer calls due to astronomically expensive roaming charges.

Cost would be like €30 each. Could also be just bundled into some kind of covid landing pack that you buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I already posted this on the main covid thread but I think it deserves to be said here again.

This Mary Kelly bint thinks that she is more important than everyone else. She thinks that because nobody will actually physically prevent her from travelling and not quarantining, and because there is no specific LAW against it she is within her rights.

She thinks that being an Irish citizen excludes her from adhering to the guidelines. She thinks that her position can be manipulated in such a way that she will be the exception is the rule and she is determined to find a way around having to quarantine.

What's more, even if there was a law against coming or they were enforcing the quarantine, she would proudly come in through the backdoor of NI.

Clearly the rules do not apply to her, she is so important that she announces this on national radio. An utter cretin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Foreigners aren't allowed into Thailand at the moment unless they have Thai family or business visas.

Cambodia takes a $3000 deposit on arrival and tests immediately. If anyone on your flight tests positive you're taken to quarantine for 14 days and are tested regularly.

If you test positive you're hospitalised and tested regularly.

It's $1500 to be cremated should things not go well.

Assuming nobody on your flight tests positive you get your money back minus the cost of tests.

Is Thailand and Cambodia a third world country? How can they have their sh!t together but we can't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is Thailand and Cambodia a third world country? How can they have their sh!t together but we can't?

Cambodia is but it's corrupt as fcuk with huge Chinese influence. They've actually sold whole cities to China in recent years

I don't think half these people are getting their 3 grand back. They'll find some excuse or delay it's return to getting it back to tourists for months

It has the nickname Scambodia for a reason

Advertisement