Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Really nothing to see. People can appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I think the Mandatory Hotel Quarantine is an absolute sick joke, it effected it me personally in that it highly effected my travel plans. Thanks to our open land border with Northern Ireland I am now back in Ireland with the past two weeks having returned from 3 red list countries. It is pretty easy to avoid MHQ if you are travel savvy and have as much travel experience as myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

theguzman wrote: »
    I think the Mandatory Hotel Quarantine is an absolute sick joke, it effected it me personally in that it highly effected my travel plans. Thanks to our open land border with Northern Ireland I am now back in Ireland with the past two weeks having returned from 3 red list countries. It is pretty easy to avoid MHQ if you are travel savvy and have as much travel experience as myself.

"Travel savvy", "As much travel experience as myself"...in that you had heard of northern Ireland and our open border with same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I presume Ireland made the point that France put a complete stop on travel from Ireland back in December/January so the EU were told to f**k themselves

I was not aware that any country in EU had a complete ban on travel from another country.
    I just thought we had to tick the requirements on arrival.
    Personally i think the EU should have laid some kindof direction for Europe travel....

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ngunners

I presume Ireland made the point that France put a complete stop on travel from Ireland back in December/January so the EU were told to f**k themselves

Do you have a link to the French ban on travel from Ireland?

• Advertisement

ngunners wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the French ban on travel from Ireland?

It wasn't a secret. Surely you remember this case?

https://simpleflying.com/private-jet-holidaymakers-from-britain-refused-entry-to-france/

‘Non-essential’. So they weren’t preventing people from travelling with an essential reason or imposing a quarantine?

And this is April 2020, not December/ January.

‘Non-essential’. So they weren’t preventing people from travelling with an essential reason or imposing a quarantine?

Of course not. Don't think any country within the eu went that as far as completely stopping travel completely.

Of course not. Don't think any country within the eu went that as far as completely stopping travel completely.

So Red Silurian was talking nonsense in his comment as I thought.

• Advertisement

I think there was a threat of adding is to the uk ban but it never happened that I recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Your opinion should be fluid. It should be open to change.

'The fluidity of opinion just to be defending something is quite funny at times'

Please use the whole sentence that I said. I don't mind disagreeing with me, but don't partially quote me to attempt to prove a point.

Corholio wrote: »
    'The fluidity of opinion just to be defending something is quite funny at times'

Please use the whole sentence that I said. I don't mind disagreeing with me, but don't partially quote me to attempt to prove a point.

Please take back that accusation. I quoted your entire paragraph so I have in no way manipulated your words.

No wonder they brought in MHQ but it wasn't enough in your case. I hope you didn't bring any presents back for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Please take back that accusation. I quoted your entire paragraph so I have in no way manipulated your words.

You used half of my sentence when you gave your opinion on it. If you didn't understand it or don't bother to understand it fine, but don't use half of what I said to make it seem like it's a point. All of the sentence or none of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

saabsaab wrote: »
    No wonder they brought in MHQ but it wasn't enough in your case. I hope you didn't bring any presents back for the rest of us.

I tested negative, I protect my family and that is where I stop caring, we are not all in this together, I don't give a damn about anyone else or anything else, Covid19 killed off empathy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I tested negative, I protect my family and that is where I stop caring, we are not all in this together, I don't give a damn about anyone else or anything else, Covid19 killed off empathy for me.

Ah here, if we all had that attitude you'd be dead already and not from covid. No need to abandon all empathy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Just love this part

“Sources reported that the group made attempts to utilize some connections, making a few phone calls in hopes of bypassing authorities. However, this was unsuccessful.”

If that was this country it would be a quick call to Leo or Michael and sure t’would be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I traveled to France in January. I wasn't stopped or even queried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I traveled to France in January. I wasn't stopped or even queried.

The French ban was in April 2020 afsik. France has since revised that. Other countries have done similar. Spain banned people travelling for non essential reasons from the UK & snce revised. Germany banned those travelling from Ireland in Jan 2021 - Since revised. Many countries have closed down travel from India. The list goes on.

Not at anyone here and leaving aside the need for genuinene travel. But I love the me me me dynamic of self entitled travel during a global pandemic inhabiting social media atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Or just maybe Garda resources should be spent on real social issues such as this?

https://twitter.com/pdaly83/status/1389203514858123268?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Or just maybe Garda resources should be spent on real social issues such as this?
    no,
    irish people dont spread covid amongst themselves and theres no scum in Ireland.

Foreigners and travel are the problem, embodied particularily in Bulgarian Strawberry pickers

( Bulgarian strawberry pickers, staying on site at a farm, mingling with nobody, too poor to go to the pub and mix with irish and spread the covid that they never had in the first place, yep, thats your problem)

Corholio wrote: »
    You used half of my sentence when you gave your opinion on it. If you didn't understand it or don't bother to understand it fine, but don't use half of what I said to make it seem like it's a point. All of the sentence or none of it.

Have the basic manners to admit you were wrong in your accusations. You accused me of selective quoting to be underhanded and I did no such thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Back in December there were irish truckers turned around at the ports of dover and Roslare as the French didn't want the UK variant brought in

So yeah intra-EU travel can be stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here's a bit of news from the Irish Examiner today:
    Nearly 250 flights into Ireland have had at least one confirmed case of Covid-19 since January 1, but up to 80% of close contacts on some planes have never been traced.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40280642.html

So it looks like no, we can't have some control on the airports.
    We don't even manage to follow up on the data we have on time.
    Tracing of flights is done using flight manifests, provided to the HSE by the airlines.

However, the quality of the manifests has been a source of concern, with frequently incomplete or erroneous data included, while the State’s stockpile of passenger locator forms is rarely accessed, despite being available to tracers from last December.

emphasis by me

peasant wrote: »
    Here's a bit of news from the Irish Examiner today:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40280642.html

So it looks like no, we can't have some control on the airports.
    We don't even manage to follow up on the data we have on time.

emphasis by me
    so, theres 250 flights with at least 1 case so lets round up to maybe 500 cases which came by plane.
    In parallel there has been since Jan 1st this year 158,511 cases in Ireland

thats approx 158000 more domestic than travel related cases in 2021
    yet, travel is the problem this Spring we are told. Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

travel is the problem this Spring we are told. Really?

missing the point ...shambolic tracing is the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

doesn't help when people are giving false numbers and false addresses

doesn't help when people are giving false numbers and false addresses

Some don't give their contacts either.

• Advertisement

So, lack of tracing of about 500 travel related cases over 4 months caused all those subsequent cases ?

And not the tracing of the 1000+ per day of domestic cases ?

Advertisement