Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

peasant wrote: »
    missing the point ...shambolic tracing is the problem

doesn't help when people are giving false numbers and false addresses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

doesn't help when people are giving false numbers and false addresses

Some don't give their contacts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

So, lack of tracing of about 500 travel related cases over 4 months caused all those subsequent cases ?

And not the tracing of the 1000+ per day of domestic cases ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

so, theres 250 flights with at least 1 case so lets round up to maybe 500 cases which came by plane.
    In parallel there has been since Jan 1st this year 158,511 cases in Ireland

thats approx 158000 more domestic than travel related cases in 2021
    yet, travel is the problem this Spring we are told. Really?

Also contact tracers were generally a bunch of unemployed chaps thrown in a room to answer phones. I know chaps doing it - not exactly scientists.

Yet in the piece it is the contact tracers opinion that subsequent positives of close contacts "surely came from the plane".

Over all the article was a poor read and good for fueling the bile in the nation - beyond that its just a pissed on Contact tracer having a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Our version of mhq is just a dressed up detterent to travel. If our government hadn't have completely failed with proper controls and proper following up of home quarantining, we might have been able to avoid it.

• Advertisement

Our version of mhq is just a dressed up detterent to travel. If our government hadn't have completely failed with proper controls and proper following up of home quarantining, we might have been able to avoid it.

Dettering people from travelling is by nature more effective than any after travel system can be.

MHQ is a big mess, but if its a successful detterant then it saves the state wasting tax payer money on following up on everyone post their holibops.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Dettering people from travelling is by nature more effective than any after travel system can be.

MHQ is a big mess, but if its a successful detterant then it saves the state wasting tax payer money on following up on everyone post their holibops.

Not all of us are on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

my kids havent seen their 80 year old grandparents since christmas 2019, and counting, and youre implying thats a good situation that should continue indefinitely and if they pop their clogs in the next year or 3 sure I can show them pictures of the grandparents that they hardly know

yea, grand .

or here, in the Irish times in the other direction:
    Also speaking on RTÉ radio, a French national living in Ireland with his wife and four children spoke of how his father, who has cancer, is expected to die in the coming days.

“I’m expected to bury my father and then spend two weeks alone in a hotel room,” he said. “I am also concerned that you can’t appeal before arrival. It’s very stressful, I really think it’s inhuman.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-s-quarantine-system-unnecessarily-harsh-says-french-ambassador-1.4555868

All to stop barely less infections in 4 months than Ireland has in a day anyhow !!!

my kids havent seen their 80 year old grandparents since christmas 2019, and counting, and youre implying thats a good situation that should continue indefinitely and if they pop their clogs in the next year or 3 sure I can show them pictures of the grandparents that they hardly know

yea, grand .

Many of us are In the same position. The situation is unfair but its not unreasonable.

There is a greater good at stake. The overall protection of our society is and should be paramount and rightfully trumps any individual hardship and misfortunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Many of us are In the same position. The situation is unfair but its not unreasonable.

There is a greater good at stake. The overall protection of our society is and should be paramount and rightfully trumps any individual hardship and misfortunes.

Platitudes.

Keeping people in MHQ is not preventing people being exposed to sars-cov-2 in Ireland. We are in the midst of an epidemic, the virus is in our communities. Selected MHQ is theatre designed to placate people who insist something must be done, regardless of how effective it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Economics101

Was there a constitutional amendment some yours ago on the right to travel? Does the text of the amendment stipulate the reason for having that right? I know that at the time this amendment was passed due to hysteria on the abortion question (I'm not taking sides on that!!).

Maybe some strict constructionist or originalist lawyer might say you have the right to travel for an abortion, but how dare you do so to attend your mother's funeral.

Was there a constitutional amendment some yours ago on the right to travel? Does the text of the amendment stipulate the reason for having that right? I know that at the time this amendment was passed due to hysteria on the abortion question (I'm not taking sides on that!!).

Maybe some strict constructionist or originalist lawyer might say you have the right to travel for an abortion, but how dare you do so to attend your mother's funeral.

No one is being physically prevented from leaving the country

You are right but many on this thread don't see it that way. Just as well they are in the minority overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Economics101

No one is being physically prevented from leaving the country

No, but they are being fined quite heavily, especially if you are not all that well off to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

But at what point can we say mission accomplished? Covid won't disappear nor will the risk of variants for a long time to come

saabsaab wrote: »
    You are right but many on this thread don't see it that way. Just as well they are in the minority overall.

Thanks Saab. Youre a good poster and definitely in the minority here. This thread is unfortunately filled with sad contrarian trolls for the most part whose views bare very little resemblance to reality.

Feria40 wrote: »
    But at what point can we say mission accomplished? Covid won't disappear nor will the risk of variants for a long time to come

In a few months, when the critical mass is fully vaccinated.

No, but they are being fined quite heavily, especially if you are not all that well off to begin with.

Indeed but that doesn't change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Thanks Saab. Youre a good poster and definitely in the minority here. This thread is unfortunately filled with sad contrarian trolls for the most part whose views bare very little resemblance to reality.

Get a room you two.

A bigger question will be - when vaccinations reach a point that herd immunity (General population immunity) exists - will covid even be as lethal as the flu.

So unless there is some shocking evidence to say its worse we should be opened as normal this year, never to lockdown again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

theguzman wrote: »
    I tested negative, I protect my family and that is where I stop caring, we are not all in this together, I don't give a damn about anyone else or anything else, Covid19 killed off empathy for me.

This isn’t protecting your family

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

I'm not necessarily on a different page to you but all the data suggests that even one jab of any vaccine is highly effective.

We shouldn't be too far off having 80% of adults with one jab come in end of June..

On that basis does opening up in say the end of June or early July with a neg PCR on arrival into the country not represent a reasonably fair balance?

I'm not necessarily on a different page to you but all the data suggests that even one jab of any vaccine is highly effective.

We shouldn't be too far off having 80% of adults with one jab come in end of June..

On that basis does opening up in say the end of June or early July with a neg PCR on arrival into the country not represent a reasonably fair balance?

June might be a little early. I wouldnt want to see us rush it for the sake of a few weeks or a month.

I am a big supporter of the digital green cert. Whenever that is up and running would be a good time to reduce travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Or people anxious about whether or not they'll be able to see their families in the foreseeable future. First anyone wanting to travel were only looking to get away on holidays, now we're all trolls. FFS.

Absolutely. We're on the same page here. Some others are on a different book it seems.

Absolutely. We're on the same page here. Some others are on a different book it seems.

You won't be concerned about vaccine evading variants later in the year?

DaSilva wrote: »
    You won't be concerned about vaccine evading variants later in the year?

I would but if we are mostly vaccinated and most of the traveling world is also, the chances of one evolving/spreading is much less.

I would but if we are mostly vaccinated and most of the traveling world is also, the chances of one evolving/spreading is much less.

I don't mean about possible future variants, I mean the existing ones we are currently trying to keep out because of their supposed vaccine evading ability?

If they evade vaccine immunity why would being vaccinated matter?

DaSilva wrote: »
    I don't mean about possible future variants, I mean the existing ones we are currently trying to keep out because of their supposed vaccine evading ability?

If they evade vaccine immunity why would being vaccinated matter?

So far with the variants, even if they evade a vaccine, the chances of getting sick or very sick are much less. This of course may not be the case if we let it out of control and a more potent version develops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Forget the Variants, just put a big marquee over Dublin airport and nobody will get Covid, no-one will get a fine and you won't need to socially distance.

Also change the name of Terminal 1 & 2 to site 1A & 1B.

Advertisement