Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Austria finally removed. Hallelujah.

what percentage of their population is vaccinated?

What exactly are the criteria they use besides the vague variant line I have heard when I contacted the health office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Shane St. wrote: »
    what percentage of their population is vaccinated?

What exactly are the criteria they use besides the vague variant line I have heard when I contacted the health office

They have yet to release that to the public. Some of the countries on our list haven't had a confirmed covid case for weeks. Some countries not on our list have up to 500% more cases per capita than countries on our list.

Others were put there supposedly because of "variants", but according to the ECDC or Robert Koch Institute (ie actual experts) have no variants of concern present.

Which does suggest they're just making it up as they go along, worryingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blut2 wrote: »
    They have yet to release that to the public. Some of the countries on our list haven't had a confirmed covid case for weeks. Some countries not on our list have up to 500% more cases per capita than countries on our list.

Others were put there supposedly because of "variants", but according to the ECDC or Robert Koch Institute (ie actual experts) have no variants of concern present.

Which does suggest they're just making it up as they go along, worryingly.
    The removal of countries suggests a keenness not to be seen to be discriminating against countries who'll get on our back, i.e. Europe. A lot of the remaining countries people would have trouble finding on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

is_that_so wrote: »
    The removal of countries suggests a keenness not to be seen to be discriminating against countries who'll get on our back, i.e. Europe. A lot of the remaining countries people would have trouble finding on a map.

Yeah, who ever heard of France? Or Belgium?

ngunners wrote: »
    Apart from the very limp attempt at cheap point scoring the learning moment is what here?

• Advertisement

ngunners wrote: »

But you just go through the UK from those places. My partner just did from Franc. So MHQ with those countries is nothing more than a gesture

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

saabsaab wrote: »
    We haven't imported and spread new variants here. It also has put others off travel so hard to quantify the effect but it is real.

The Brazilian, SA and Indian strain is in Ireland.

Outside of that there are no other new variants that science has flagged of concern.

Also, is that the sole purpose of what MHQ was set up for? To stop the import of new strains?

Because the messaging is mixed from government and NPHET. There are countries on the MHQ list that don’t have variants of concern.

What’s the purpose of MHQ again? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

faceman wrote: »

Maybe ask RTÉ, the Soc Dems, Sinn Fein and the zero Covid crowd who sought it. And when the chickens come home to roost in respect to this nonsense I will remember who called for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Maybe ask RTÉ, the Soc Dems, Sinn Fein and the zero Covid crowd who sought it. And when the chickens come home to roost in respect to this nonsense I will remember who called for it.

Sinn Fein have moved on from this, not a pip from them on MHQ in the last month. Moved onto housing now. Next it'll be why didnt we support tourism after its decimated from the way we acted throughout this pandemic. Who'd want to book a flight here for a few months time when there's a chance you'll be lock in a cell, sorry hotel room for 2 weeks.i certainly wouldn't anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

But you just go through the UK from those places. My partner just did from Franc. So MHQ with those countries is nothing more than a gesture

Am I wrong in thinking that if you've been in a red list country within 14 days, you have to do MHQ so this would render travelling through the UK mute. So if asked you tell the truth otherwise you're breaking the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Is it a coincidence that there has not been a spread of new variants (Inc Brazil and SA) since the introduction of MHQ? I think not. In my view it has been a success.

votecounts wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking that if you've been in a red list country within 14 days, you have to do MHQ so this would render travelling through the UK mute. So if asked you tell the truth otherwise you're breaking the law

All the immigration officer in Dublin airport can see is the flight you flew into Dublin on. So say London -> Dublin. If you've flown from from anywhere on the red list before that to London they have absolutely no way to know if its on a different booking, its entirely down to an "honour system".

Which is why the whole system is so farcical. Anyone who wants to avoid it can very easily do so. I personally know multiple people who've flown in from red list countries via the UK in the last month and avoided MHQ completely. And thats not even mentioning the other option of just flying into Belfast and driving down from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Blut2 wrote: »
    All the immigration officer in Dublin airport can see is the flight you flew into Dublin on. So say London -> Dublin. If you've flown from from anywhere on the red list before that to London they have absolutely no way to know if its on a different booking, its entirely down to an "honour system".

Which is why the whole system is so farcical. Anyone who wants to avoid it can very easily do so. I personally know multiple people who've flown in from red list countries via the UK in the last month and avoided MHQ completely. And thats not even mentioning the other option of just flying into Belfast and driving down from there...

The law requires them to self-present in such circumstances but I agree with you that it is a complete lack in enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

faceman wrote: »
    The Brazilian, SA and Indian strain is in Ireland.

Outside of that there are no other new variants that science has flagged of concern.

Also, is that the sole purpose of what MHQ was set up for? To stop the import of new strains?

Because the messaging is mixed from government and NPHET. There are countries on the MHQ list that don’t have variants of concern.

Completely agree, MHQ has not worked, it may have slowed down the importation of variants but it hasn't completed the task it was set up for which was keeping them out

I'd argue that instead of removing MHQ, because that would be a complete disaster, to either replace it with a system of quarantine that actually works

Completely agree, MHQ has not worked, it may have slowed down the importation of variants but it hasn't completed the task it was set up for which was keeping them out

I'd argue that instead of removing MHQ, because that would be a complete disaster, to either replace it with a system of quarantine that actually works

I would disagree with you; MHQ was established to stop the opposition parties sniping at the government re the absence of MHQ. It has served that purpose.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The law requires them to self-present in such circumstances but I agree with you that it is a complete lack in enforcement.

How many people do you think self present to serve a 2 week prison sentence in MHQ at a cost of almost €2000 to themselves? When theres absolutely no way to get caught if they decide not to volunteer that information?

Realistically the vast vast majority of people who have to/want to travel from a red list country are still doing it, they're just now not telling immigration at Dublin airport about it.

I would disagree with you; MHQ was established to stop the opposition parties sniping at the government re the absence of MHQ. It has served that purpose.

Trying to find proof of this but can't, do you have a link?

Trying to find proof of this but can't, do you have a link?

The fact that they were constantly sniping and now they are not? Despite the fact that everyone knows that it lost penalises honest travellers while variants still enter the country? Shows that for all involved it was a check box exercise

The fact that they were constantly sniping and now they are not? Despite the fact that everyone knows that it lost penalises honest travellers while variants still enter the country? Shows that for all involved it was a check box exercise

I'm not a member of the opposition though

I'm not a member of the opposition though
    You'd still have your opinion but no MHQ had they decided not to vote for it. The vote was 103-10 in favour BTW.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    You'd still have your opinion but no MHQ had they decided not to vote for it. The vote was 103-10 in favour BTW.

Yeah and I think you'd be foolish to argue that properly implemented restrictions on travel don't work, just look at New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore and Vietnam. I know China have huge restrictions on inbound travel, still can't bring myself to add them to the list though :D:D:D

A bigger problem on that vote is that 46 of our elected representatives decided not to show up (or abstained from) the dáil that day, but I digress.

Any idea who the 10 TDs who voted against it were? Were they govt or opposition even?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Yeah and I think you'd be foolish to argue that properly implemented restrictions on travel don't work, just look at New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore and Vietnam. I know China have huge restrictions on inbound travel, still can't bring myself to add them to the list though :D:D:D

A bigger problem on that vote is that 46 of our elected representatives decided not to show up (or abstained from) the dáil that day, but I digress.

Any idea who the 10 TDs who voted against it were? Were they govt or opposition even?

I think FG towed the Gov line mostly even though publicly announces they were anti it.

I assume a number of others from tourism areas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I was told yesterday that people who have the vaccine will be allowed fly in June.
    Can anyone here confirm this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I was told yesterday that people who have the vaccine will be allowed fly in June.

That would be th EU cert thing I assume. Not sure the exact date, but meant to be summer sometime for fully vaccinated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

Fully vaccinated people are already exempt from MHQ https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a6975-mandatory-hotel-quarantine/#exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That would be th EU cert thing I assume. Not sure the exact date, but meant to be summer sometime for fully vaccinated people.

It was a phone conversation so i assume it is what you mention.

Thanks...

cnbyz wrote: »
    Fully vaccinated people are already exempt from MHQ https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a6975-mandatory-hotel-quarantine/#exemptions

But still subject to quarantine at home!

I think FG towed the Gov line mostly even though publicly announces they were anti it.

I assume a number of others from tourism areas etc.

Sure the entire govt were dragged kicking and screaming into MHQ and then when it's introduced it has more loopholes to avoid it than it has countries on the list

The term "Irish solution to an Irish problem" resonates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Sure the entire govt were dragged kicking and screaming into MHQ and then when it's introduced it has more loopholes to avoid it than it has countries on the list

The term "Irish solution to an Irish problem" resonates
    MHQ has loopholes ? Really ?

Like, you cant apply to be exempt in advance even if you looking to visit a person on their death bed or are not far off it yourself, and when you get to Ireland you need a high court case to force the governments hand
    If you travel by land over the border after having been in a listed country, you must report to quarantine or risk a massive fine, and be stuck in it anyhow, and pay for it.

If you ask me its the definition of a measure with little to no loopholes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

But still subject to quarantine at home!
    Correct. I guess it is because they have no real way of verifying the vaccination cards people present. here in US you can easily find empty CDC cards.

Advertisement