Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

My friend yesterday told me that a family member who recently returned from Spain.
    She went for the vaccine, while there she got a phone call asking why she was not at home.
    Just thought people be interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

My friend yesterday told me that a family member who recently returned from Spain.
    She went for the vaccine, while there she got a phone call asking why she was not at home.

My friend told me that she knows Boris the bear ðŸ»

Someone posts some nonsense like this occasionally, implying that we are being tracked.

If she did get a phone call, it was just coincidence that she wasn’t at home. Would have been one of the standard calls / texts that are made as a reminder to stay home and to check that the details on the form are still correct. I’ve had many given I’m in and out of Ireland regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

And absolutely NOTHING wrong with attending a medical appointment while in travel quarantine at home.

And absolutely NOTHING wrong with attending a medical appointment while in travel quarantine at home.

Nope, if you are quarantined you should not attend for the vaccine. Been there, done that. Told by HSE not to show up as I would be refused even after the first negative PCR.

The vaccine is not administered to people who have or had within the past 4 weeks, Covid19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nope, if you are quarantined you should not attend for the vaccine. Been there, done that. Told by HSE not to show up as I would be refused even after the first negative PCR.

The vaccine is not administered to people who have or had within the past 6 months, Covid19.
    Isn't that 4 weeks? When did it change to six months?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Isn't that 4 weeks? When did it change to six months?

Apologies, you are right. Its 6 months in Spain. I have edited my comment

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

A call from a jealous husband ? From the Amazon delivery man ? :pac:
    This story checks all the boxes: not a direct story but a friend of a friend, no real details, and an implied conclusion based on an individual case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

MHQ has loopholes ? Really ?

Returning from a red list you no longer have to quarantine if you

1. Are fully vaccinated - that's fair enough, I'd even make an argument for partial vaccination (1 dose)

2. Parents travelling with newborn babies

3. Are deemed an essential worker

4. Medical reasons that are unavoidable, imperative and time-sensitive

All are expected to home quarantine, which as we all know most won't bother with

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Returning from a red list you no longer have to quarantine if you

1. Are fully vaccinated - that's fair enough, I'd even make an argument for partial vaccination (1 dose)

2. Parents travelling with newborn babies

3. Are deemed an essential worker

4. Medical reasons that are unavoidable, imperative and time-sensitive

All are expected to home quarantine, which as we all know most won't bother with

I did :*

• Advertisement

zebastein wrote: »
    A call from a jealous husband ? From the Amazon delivery man ? :pac:
    This story checks all the boxes: not a direct story but a friend of a friend, no real details, and an implied conclusion based on an individual case.

Well he also told me what changes were expected as regard travel passports which expected he thinks by end of next month so we will see. He may be wrong or it may not be announced yet.
    His daughter works Covid frontline...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some thoughts from people in MHQ in the UK. 9 interviewed in total.
    Travellers staying in quarantine hotels in the UK after returning from “red list” countries have complained of “prison-like” conditions, including windows that do not open, a lack of fresh air, exercise and decent food.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/11/uk-travellers-complain-of-prison-like-conditions-in-quarantine-hotels

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This didn’t happen

I did :*

You want a medal? Most won't, they're probably laughing at you
    faceman wrote: »
    This didn’t happen

How do you know exactly? Are you the friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

You want a medal? Most won't, they're probably laughing at you

How do you know exactly? Are you the friend?

Yes please, actually cut it in half and send it to Coveney and Donnelly.
    Or sure keep half and give the other to saab.

This didn’t happen

The cheek of you to suggest some one is a liar.
    That's how credible you are... i am repeating what was said to me and i believe it to be true as i know the person...

And to make it worse you are one of the bosses here... leader???

That's how credible you are... i am repeating what was said to me and i believe it to be true as i know the person...

Your implication was that your friend was called because they were out of their house. Like they were being somehow tracked

But you know that

And we all know that that isn’t what happened. They got the standard phone call that some people get to check that the details on the form are still correct. I’ve had many (mostly texts actually) given that I’m in and out of the country a lot

It just happened to come while they were out, but is totally unconnected with that fact, despite your inference

Your implication was that your friend was called because they were out of their house. Like they were being somehow tracked

But you know that

And we all know that that isn’t what happened. They got the standard phone call that some people get to check that the details on the form are still correct. I’ve had many (mostly texts actually) given that I’m in and out of the country a lot

It just happened to come while they were out, but is totally unconnected with that fact, despite your inference

Your talking rubbish, none of us know what happened.
    I repeated what was said to me and your friend said it was lies.
    I just now noticed a few other eejits agreed with both of you.
    I have an intense dislike for liars or people who call people liars without having confirmation.

I also think its something the MODS here should look into....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Your talking rubbish, none of us know what happened.
    I repeated what was said to me and your friend said it was lies.
    I just now noticed a few other eejits agreed with both of you.
    I have an intense dislike for liars or people who call people liars without having confirmation.

I also think its something the MODS here should look into....

I’m not interested in popularity contests. I am interests in facts.

I’m quite familiar with the state’s procedures for “checking” on people post travel. Nobodies movements are being tracked. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

What could have happened is the mysterious, unverified person, was contacted by phone at a time they happened to not be at home. It’s possible the unverified person told the caller that he/she was not at home due to a medical appointment. Given medical appointments, including vaccinations, are a permitted reason to leave isolation then there is no issue.

Any suggestion that an individual’s movements are being tracked after arriving in Ireland are bare face lies. The belief that the state has some high tech surveillance system monitoring movements in real time is hilarious but also spreading misinformation

I’m not interested in popularity contests. I am interests in facts.

I’m quite familiar with the state’s procedures for “checking” on people post travel. Nobodies movements are being tracked. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

What could have happened is the mysterious, unverified person, was contacted by phone at a time they happened to not be at home. It’s possible the unverified person told the caller that he/she was not at home due to a medical appointment. Given medical appointments, including vaccinations, are a permitted reason to leave isolation then there is no issue.

Any suggestion that an individual’s movements are being tracked after arriving in Ireland are bare face lies. The belief that the state has some high tech surveillance system monitoring movements in real time is hilarious but also spreading misinformation

Not vaccination, Its one of the things they ask you before you arrive. Many doctors and dentists will also ask and wont perform any routine / non emergency treatment either.

I missed my vaccination as a result of quarantine rules. Its acceptable to leave for testing

• Advertisement

Some people like lies though, like the lie that 0.5% of cases in Ireland are travel related I always find funny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Some people like lies though, like the lie that 0.5% of cases in Ireland are travel related I always find funny

Not as funny as the lie that MHQ keeps out variants though.

Not as funny as the lie that MHQ keeps out variants though.

You're missing two words there (or maybe you were proving my point about lies)

MHQ helps to keeps out variants

Do you have proof that if we didn't have MHQ that we would not be swarming in Indian, US or South African variants?

Not vaccination, Its one of the things they ask you before you arrive. Many doctors and dentists will also ask and wont perform any routine / non emergency treatment either.

I missed my vaccination as a result of quarantine rules. Its acceptable to leave for testing

A further hole in the OP’s story so!

A further hole in the OP’s story so!

I should have just lied I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Do you have proof that if we didn't have MHQ that we would not be swarming in Indian, US or South African variants?

Looking for proof that you know doesn't exist because it hasn't been tested isn't contributing much to the conversation. MHQ as operated in Ireland can only potentially delay the introduction of a variant and was only done to calm the baying mob whipped up by the zero covid nutters in ISAG (McConkey, Staines, Killeen, Scally etc)

All of the EMA approved vaccines work against all the variants except the Indian one and that is down to a lack of evidence and not any data that indicates otherwise.

MHQ is a monumental waste of money and is doing long term economic damage which by now has probably ruined any chance of inbound tourism this year.

We're getting into Russel's teapot territory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We would.

OwenM wrote: »
    Looking for proof that you know doesn't exist because it hasn't been tested isn't contributing much to the conversation. MHQ as operated in Ireland can only potentially delay the introduction of a variant and was only done to calm the baying mob whipped up by the zero covid nutters in ISAG (McConkey, Staines, Killeen, Scally etc)

All of the EMA approved vaccines work against all the variants except the Indian one and that is down to a lack of evidence and not any data that indicates otherwise.

MHQ is a monumental waste of money and is doing long term economic damage which by now has probably ruined any chance of inbound tourism this year.
    We're getting into Russel's teapot territory here.
    saabsaab wrote: »
    We would.

So we are agreed then that there is no proof that the variants are not largely being kept out witht he help of MHQ... Now lets look at proof that MHQ is effective at keeping the variants out

In the last 14 days there have been zero cases of any variant in New Zealand, China, Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan or Vietnam. That gives an incidence of 0, 5 day average of 0 and 7 day average of 0 cases

So the evidence would suggest that MHQ works in helping to keep variants out

• Advertisement

So we are agreed then that there is no proof that the variants are not largely being kept out witht he help of MHQ... Now lets look at proof that MHQ is effective at keeping the variants out

In the last 14 days there have been zero cases of any variant in New Zealand, China, Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan or Vietnam. That gives an incidence of 0, 5 day average of 0 and 7 day average of 0 cases

So the evidence would suggest that MHQ works in helping to keep variants out

Ah my mistake, I thought we were talking about Ireland.

Advertisement