Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

bombs away wrote: »
    It has multiple of variations because it’s been around for thousands of years

Yes, I know how it works.

Perhaps if the boys back then had put a global effort in using 21st century tech and knowledge, we would have eradicated it before it mutated so much.

Covid, we got to fast and so far, hasn't mutated into a strain that we can't vaccinate. Let's hope it doesn't. And voila, we can suppress it. We won't eradicate because too many people won't vaccinate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

So today the CDC (you know that bastion of sense and common sense) announced that mask wearing was not needed outside and inside for those fully vaccinated.

The spokesperson on the news also stated that transmission information by those fully vaccinated was almost zero. The information that they have been studying points to very very low rates of transmission by vaccinated persons. Leading to this decision.

Interesting that yesterday here, news was reporting still to use masks and we won’t mention the Lone Ranger Biden.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Yes, I know how it works.

Perhaps if the boys back then had put a global effort in using 21st century tech and knowledge, we would have eradicated it before it mutated so much.

Covid, we got to fast and so far, hasn't mutated into a strain that we can't vaccinate. Let's hope it doesn't. And voila, we can suppress it. We won't eradicate because too many people won't vaccinate

You can't completely eradicate coronaviruses that initiate in other animal species unless you plan on vaccinating every animal on the planet. No matter how many humans are vaccinated. Where exactly do you think it came from, outer space?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm presuming they are looking at the spread of indian variants in the Uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I'm presuming they are looking at the spread of indian variants in the Uk?

Lol no. Talking about opening the CTA instead. But Bermuda is still on our MHQ list. Follow the science.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Any animals would need to be brought in by people! As for birds have you a link to that theory?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/vms3.360

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

saabsaab wrote: »
    Any animals would need to be brought in by people! As for birds have you a link to that theory?

OMFG - you really are still going through the Zero Covid aspirations in your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

dalyboy wrote: »
    Don’t forget we also need to ban all birds too. There’s theories going that covid is carried by migrating birds.

Additionally all animals should be banned from entry either alive or dead (eg remember mink covid. What other animals could be carrying covid).

If the above is true then MHQ is a futile effort ( which it is anyway )

Maybe if we get all the army snipers sitting in towers all along on the east coast? Could we do something with drones? Attach grenades to them and wire them up to the drone so they can be detonated remotely?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Your an eejit, this is a conversation area where people share experiences and gather info, you are a mod and you say my friend was simply telling lies.
    Plain and simple idiot stuff and your a BOSS...
    What your familiar with is nothing to do with you as a person, i am familiar with procedure and i relayed what was said and you said another person who cannot contribute is a LIAR, your an EEJIT plain and simple.
    Now you can ban me as i have no interest in chatting to the likes of you....

You can make all the personal attacks all you want but it doesn’t change anything. The story you shared just isn’t true. It’s either fabricated or a twisting of what really happened. No amount of mud slinging will change that.

Also Im not a mod of this forum nor do I have any favour over the actions on this forum. Im not posting as a mod. I can’t make a martyr of you, nor do I have any interest in doing so, sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

OwenM wrote: »
    Maybe if we get all the army snipers sitting in towers all along on the east coast? Could we do something with drones? Attach grenades to them and wire them up to the drone so they can be detonated remotely?

Great idea. We can't be too careful after all, and as posters on here so often like to remind us, anything that will reduce the presence of variants* is worth doing.

*Proof not required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

faceman wrote: »
    You can make all the personal attacks all you want but it doesn’t change anything. The story you shared just isn’t true. It’s either fabricated or a twisting of what really happened. No amount of mud slinging will change that.

Also Im not a mod of this forum nor do I have any favour over the actions on this forum. Im not posting as a mod. I can’t make a martyr of you, nor do I have any interest in doing so, sorry :D

This is a forum for chatter and you think its a courthouse where proof of everything that is said is required.
    I have no idea if it is true or not but i believe what my friend said.
    I do not really care either way.

The whole point of this or any forum is to share views and ideas notes.
    Saying someone is telling LIES is not on and i think people who accuse others of this should be automatically banned.

Opinions differ and this is life...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

This is a forum for chatter and you think its a courthouse where proof of everything that is said is required.
    I have no idea if it is true or not but i believe what my friend said.
    I do not really care either way.

The whole point of this or any forum is to share views and ideas notes.
    Saying someone is telling LIES is not on and i think people who accuse others of this should be automatically banned.

Opinions differ and this is life...

Get yer friend on here so we can quiz them.

Get yer friend on here so we can quiz them.

Maybe the HSE will see this and ring the friend back to say we are looking for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Maybe the HSE will see this and ring the friend back to say we are looking for them?

A tribunal, i may end up being an important person after all the publicity...

A tribunal, i may end up being an important person after all the publicity...

Why would we need a tribunal if the HSE are omnipotent ? They can see everything we do anyway. One is looking in my window as I type this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

faceman wrote: »
    The proof has just flown right over your head :pac::pac:

I have no idea what you're talking about, was the proof on a cloud or in an airplane? Or are you just spouting the trump conspiracy theorys?
    Vaccination programs won't allow for zero covid, as many people have pointed out to you. We have vaccine programs for the flu yet it is still with us. Smallpox eradication took two centuries by which time you and I will be long dead. Covid is with us now and here to stay.

Smallpox vaccine was developed in 1796 and yes it took nearly 2 centuries to eradicate but technologies that we have now are far superior from the pint of view of transport and mass production so it shouldn't take that long to eradicate covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I have no idea what you're talking about, was the proof on a cloud or in an airplane? Or are you just spouting the trump conspiracy theorys?

Smallpox vaccine was developed in 1796 and yes it took nearly 2 centuries to eradicate but technologies that we have now are far superior from the pint of view of transport and mass production so it shouldn't take that long to eradicate covid

But what about all the "experts" that say we won't eradicate it - Pfizer being one of these after all.

They announced they are starting research into yearly boosters with multiple variants in at their last quarterly (second hand info from friends who work there).

If the Vaccine maker thinks the vaccine will fail to end Covid how can you be so sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Fully vaccinated people are still testing positive for covid and a few are even dying. It won't be eradicated.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yankees-covid-vaccinated-gleyber-torres-8-positive/

https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/bill-maher-contracts-covid-despite-being-vaccinated/

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israeli-french-fashion-deisgner-alber-elbaz-dies-from-covid-19-1.9744630

Now, unless covid somehow prefers to infect these high profile people, you can bet there are tons of vaccinated regular people getting infected.

You can't completely eradicate coronaviruses that initiate in other animal species unless you plan on vaccinating every animal on the planet. No matter how many humans are vaccinated. Where exactly do you think it came from, outer space?

I couldn't give a **** about animal infection and was referring to humanity. I would have expected that to be obvious.

I don't think you realise how this works. If there's a hundred people in a room and 99 are immune to a disease, the 100th person will be infected but then the disease burns out. Thus eradicated without complete vaccination.

The origin of smallpox remains unknown but eradicated. The animal disease rinderpest was also eradicated.

Now lastly, where did I claim that we would eradicate covid? I believe I acknowledged that we wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

i might have missed it but how can you folks tell who is fully vaccinated and who is not ? I think i can come up with a fake vaccination document in 5 minutes. in US CDC cards are everywhere. You can write whatever you want. If this is really important then how can we trust people telling the truth ? especially if its for something that cost freedom and 1800 euro

• Advertisement

cnbyz wrote: »
    i might have missed it but how can you folks tell who is fully vaccinated and who is not ? I think i can come up with a fake vaccination document in 5 minutes. in US CDC cards are everywhere. You can write whatever you want. If this is really important then how can we trust people telling the truth ? especially if its for something that cost freedom and 1800 euro

Only sh1t bags will lie and thankfully they are very much a minority.

I guess we will rely on a bit of human decency that some will no doubt try and abuse.

Thankfully the majority of us are decent human beings. Not pond scum.

I understand it will be an app. Beyond that unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

cnbyz wrote: »

Well there's no way of knowing here in the US anyway. Clearly it isn't that important. I'm sure the guidelines will be dropped altogether soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Germany has just added the UK as a risk area. Thats not such an interesting fact because a risk area just means you need a test, and you need a test to fly anyhow, so in the end no difference in practical terms.
    Why im mentioning it is a nice note on the travel advice explaining why they have been added. Unlike in Ireland, with the RKI and german dept of foreign afffairs you dont need a high court case or a request from the EU commission to get transparancy on why travel restrictions are being made. Ireland (aka Tony) could learn a lesson or 2 from this.
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland incl. all British Overseas
    Territories, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands is considered as additional risk
    area.

Note: The classification is made despite a 7-day incidence of less than
    50/100,000 inhabitants due to the at least limited occurrence of variant
    B.1.617.2 in the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Variant B.1.617.2 (first
    detected in India) has now been classified by WHO as a “Variant of Concern”.
    When classifying risk areas, qualitative criteria are regularly considered in
    addition to incidence rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Germany has just added the UK as a risk area. Thats not such an interesting fact because a risk area just means you need a test, and you need a test to fly anyhow, so in the end no difference in practical terms.
    Why im mentioning it is a nice note on the travel advice explaining why they have been added. Unlike in Ireland, with the RKI and german dept of foreign afffairs you dont need a high court case or a request from the EU commission to get transparancy on why travel restrictions are being made. Ireland (aka Tony) could learn a lesson or 2 from this.
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Could be because of the Indian variant is a threat to relaxation of restrictions in the UK.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-over-50s-and-clinically-vulnerable-to-get-second-vaccine-dose-within-eight-weeks-12306413

I couldn't give a **** about animal infection and was referring to humanity. I would have expected that to be obvious.

I don't think you realise how this works. If there's a hundred people in a room and 99 are immune to a disease, the 100th person will be infected but then the disease burns out. Thus eradicated without complete vaccination.

The origin of smallpox remains unknown but eradicated. The animal disease rinderpest was also eradicated.

Now lastly, where did I claim that we would eradicate covid? I believe I acknowledged that we wouldn't.

Maybe you should give a ****, I don’t think it’s you that realise’s how it works. To use your analogy if those 100 people leave that room and encounter a rat with a novel
    coronavirus then it doesn’t bloody matter how many of them were vaccinated.

And you claimed it when you surmised that the only thing preventing it was people not getting a vaccine. You can still get the virus after you’re fully vaccinated just in case you weren’t aware. Although not enough research has been done in this area it’s also possible that you can still transmit it. So 99 people in the room aren’t immune to the disease mate. Just means their symptoms are less severe.

Maybe you should give a ****, I don’t think it’s you that realise’s how it works. To use your analogy if those 100 people leave that room and encounter a rat with a novel
    coronavirus then it doesn’t bloody matter how many of them were vaccinated.

Yes it does, how would the rat infect them if they are immune? Assuming of course that it can jump from the rat to human in the first place.
    You can still get the virus after you’re fully vaccinated just in case you weren’t aware. Although not enough research has been done in this area it’s also possible that you can still transmit it. So 99 people in the room aren’t immune to the disease mate. Just means their symptoms are less severe.

Nope again, yes theres some evidence that rare infection can occur but its highly unlikely. As it is with the MMR and Chickenpox.

So maybe, maybe from those 99, 1 could get reinfected at which point the disease will again burn out

Yes it does, how would the rat infect them if they are immune? Assuming of course that it can jump from the rat to human in the first place.

Nope again, yes theres some evidence that rare infection can occur but its highly unlikely. As it is with the MMR and Chickenpox.

So maybe, maybe from those 99, 1 could get reinfected at which point the disease will again burn out

But they’re not immune, that’s the whole point. What part of that are you not getting?

Show me this evidence.

But they’re not immune, that’s the whole point. What part of that are you not getting?

The part that you just decided a vaccine doesnt offer immunity despite the worlds leading health authories stating otherwise
    Show me this evidence.

Evidence of what? Immunity? Here:

"The good news is that there is reason to believe that immunity from COVID-19 vaccines will last at least longer than six months.

Natural immunity (i.e. immunity in people who have been infected with COVID-19) can last for up to eight months,"
    (https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/how-long-does-immunity-last-after-covid-19-vaccination#:~:text=The%20good%20news%20is%20that,to%20research%20published%20in%20Science.)

or try this:

"The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines offer immunity against COVID-19 for at least six months and might offer protection for up to two to three years."

and

"The Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines will likely protect against current variants of COVID-19."
    (https://www.verywellhealth.com/length-of-covid-19-vaccine-immunity-5094857)

or have a read here:

"Based on clinical trials, experts do know that vaccine-induced protection should last a minimum of about three months. That does not mean protective immunity will expire after 90 days; that was simply the time frame participants were studied in the initial Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson trials. As researchers continue to study the vaccines, that shelf life is expected to grow."
    (https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/03/29/how-long-immunity-lasts-covid-vaccine/)

Now, I do realise that thats not entire life immunity and we are probable looking at boosters and I am also aware as I stated, that there are cases of people becomming reinfected. This does not however change the fact that immunity is obtained either through vaccine or recovery.

The part that you just decided a vaccine doesnt offer immunity despite the worlds leading health authories stating otherwise

Evidence of what? Immunity? Here:

"The good news is that there is reason to believe that immunity from COVID-19 vaccines will last at least longer than six months.

Natural immunity (i.e. immunity in people who have been infected with COVID-19) can last for up to eight months,"
    (https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/how-long-does-immunity-last-after-covid-19-vaccination#:~:text=The%20good%20news%20is%20that,to%20research%20published%20in%20Science.)

or try this:

"The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines offer immunity against COVID-19 for at least six months and might offer protection for up to two to three years."

and

"The Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines will likely protect against current variants of COVID-19."
    (https://www.verywellhealth.com/length-of-covid-19-vaccine-immunity-5094857)

or have a read here:

"Based on clinical trials, experts do know that vaccine-induced protection should last a minimum of about three months. That does not mean protective immunity will expire after 90 days; that was simply the time frame participants were studied in the initial Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson trials. As researchers continue to study the vaccines, that shelf life is expected to grow."
    (https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/03/29/how-long-immunity-lasts-covid-vaccine/)

Now, I do realise that thats not entire life immunity and we are probable looking at boosters and I am also aware as I stated, that there are cases of people becomming reinfected. This does not however change the fact that immunity is obtained either through vaccine or recovery.

Immunity from getting the virus again, it doesn’t offer that and you know it doesn’t. It only offers immunity from severe symptoms. People have gotten Covid after getting vaccinated. So which immunity are you referring to exactly because vaccines don’t make you immune from getting the virus despite whatever narrative you want to peddle.

• Advertisement

Immunity from getting the virus again, it doesn’t offer that and you know it doesn’t.

Now that's a silly statement I keep seeing pedalled about.

Do people think immunity is a magic shield or some such nonsense.

You're immune system is internal and thus to fight of a virus, the virus has to actually enter your system.

Being immune means that if you catch it you won't be hurt by it and your body will kill it generally before you become transmissible, then again some people debate whether one with immunity can spread it.

Advertisement