Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

bombs away wrote: »
    Immunity from getting the virus again, it doesn’t offer that and you know it doesn’t. It only offers immunity from severe symptoms. People have gotten Covid after getting vaccinated. So which immunity are you referring to exactly because vaccines don’t make you immune from getting the virus despite whatever narrative you want to peddle.

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever encountered and completely ignores the links I provided and my comments.

Try digging up and you might see this statement on the way

"The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines offer immunity against COVID-19 for at least six months and might offer protection for up to two to three years."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Nope again, yes theres some evidence that rare infection can occur but its highly unlikely. As it is with the MMR and Chickenpox.

So maybe, maybe from those 99, 1 could get reinfected at which point the disease will again burn out

You said it yourself, and it’s being acknowledged that you can still get the virus after getting vaccinated. So for someone who has, how exactly has the vaccine provided immunity?? Please tell me as I’d love to know? You can tell those people that they were immune when they got the vaccine, I’d love to know what their reply would be.

The vaccine makes you resistant to transmission and reinfection in the majority of cases.

bombs away wrote: »
    The vaccine makes you resistant to transmission and reinfection in the majority of cases.

Your not quite worth the card at this stage so I will just say you don't understand vaccines

I'll post this for the third time:

"The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines offer immunity against COVID-19 for at least six months and might offer protection for up to two to three years."

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

There is nothing black and white about the protection given by the vaccines.
    Statistically they dramatically reduce the chance of: Becoming infected, Transmitting the virus, becoming mildly sick, becoming severely sick, dying from the infection.

I don't think they guarantee any of those though, as people's immune systems are complex systems and there are always outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

None of the vaccines give total immunity against COVID-19. Even the most effective vaccine, the Pfizer one, only offers a 95% reduction[1] in symptomatic infection rates. Other vaccines have even lower effectiveness percentages.

You can, and plenty of people have to date, catch covid after being vaccinated. The evidence is very clear out there on this and is easily accessible. Anyone like Niner leprauchan arguing that a vaccine gives blanket immunity either has no idea what they're talking about or is willfully lying.

[1] https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/27546-vaccine-availability/#benefits-of-the-pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccine-comirnaty-as-shown-in-clinical-trials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Blut2 wrote: »
    None of the vaccines give total immunity against COVID-19. Even the most effective vaccine, the Pfizer one, only offers a 95% reduction[1] in symptomatic infection rates. Other vaccines have even lower effectiveness percentages.

You can, and plenty of people have to date, catch covid after being vaccinated. The evidence is very clear out there on this and is easily accessible. Anyone like Niner leprauchan arguing that a vaccine gives blanket immunity either has no idea what they're talking about or is willfully lying.

[1] https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/27546-vaccine-availability/#benefits-of-the-pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccine-comirnaty-as-shown-in-clinical-trials

The vaccines work and we are safer with them. End of.

The vaccines work and we are safer with them. End of.

I didn't say the vaccines don't work, or that we aren't safer with them. I'm not sure where you got either of those points from. They obviously have a very positive effect, and make everyone significantly safer.

But the proven data is very clear - they don't give total immunity. Moving forwards anyone can, and most people statistically likely will, catch covid-19 at some stage in their lives. Even if already vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I didn't say the vaccines don't work, or that we aren't safer with them. I'm not sure where you got either of those points from. They obviously have a very positive effect, and make everyone significantly safer.

But the proven data is very clear - they don't give total immunity. Moving forwards anyone can, and most people statistically likely will, catch covid-19 at some stage in their lives. Even if already vaccinated.

Yes. But are they more likely to get a severe illness or die vaccinated or not?

No, that's not true at all. At present only 20% of infections are symptomatic to begin with. You confuse immunity with severity. It's 95% immunity and 5% that exhibit reduced symptoms.
    You can, and plenty of people have to date, catch covid after being vaccinated. The evidence is very clear out there on this and is easily accessible.

Yes, rare cases of infection happen. That's why it's 95% and not 100%.
    Anyone like Niner leprauchan arguing that a vaccine gives blanket immunity either has no idea what they're talking about or is willfully lying.

When you make statements like that, you show more about you then I. Quote me making that claim. Please quote me composed to the statements I did make:
    Now, I do realise that thats not entire life immunity and we are probable looking at boosters and I am also aware as I stated, that there are cases of people becomming reinfected.

Again, no vaccine guarantees that no person ever will get a disease. That does not mean we can't claim immunity from a disease or a vaccine cannot be considered to offer immunity when the majority that take it, are immune.

Unless you consider all the sources I linked to are also liars as you said I am?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

People need to get back to the definition of efficacy again, for Pfizer it’s not 95% of everyone, it’s 95% reduction in risk which overall is about 2%, so brings risk down from 2% to about 0.1%

• Advertisement

No, that's not true at all. At present only 20% of infections are symptomatic to begin with. You confuse immunity with severity. It's 95% immunity and 5% that exhibit reduced symptoms.

I don't want to get another yellow card for being uncivil, so I'm simply going to quote myself and the government page I linked to:

Originally Posted by Blut2 viewpost.gif
    The study showed a 95% reduction in the number of symptomatic COVID-19 cases in the people who received the vaccine

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/27546-vaccine-availability/#benefits-of-the-pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccine-comirnaty-as-shown-in-clinical-trials

If you think "thats not true at all" you're more than welcome to keep that odd, incorrect, belief. But you really shouldn't be spreading that misinformation. No vaccination gives 100% immunity to covid-19, the data is exceptionally clear on this.
    Yes. But are they more likely to get a severe illness or die vaccinated or not?

I'm not really sure what your question is asking? I never said someone shouldn't get vaccinated?

I don't want to get another yellow card for being uncivil, so I'm simply going to quote myself and the government page I linked to:

Originally Posted by Blut2 viewpost.gif

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/27546-vaccine-availability/#benefits-of-the-pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccine-comirnaty-as-shown-in-clinical-trials

If you think "thats not true at all" you're more than welcome to keep that odd, incorrect, belief. But you really shouldn't be spreading that misinformation. No vaccination gives 100% immunity to covid-19, the data is exceptionally clear on this.

I'm not really sure what your question is asking? I never said someone shouldn't get vaccinated?

So you arent actually addressing anything that I said but instead sticking to the words you falsely put in my mouth? You can continue to have your own private arguement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Back to the topic at hand, how do people feel about the Irish govt not allowing international holidays until August, while from today our friends in the north can go to Portugal among other destinations

Personally I think it's much too early to make a call on it one way or another as a lot can happen with this virus in 3 months

Back to the topic at hand, how do people feel about the Irish govt not allowing international holidays until August, while from today our friends in the north can go to Portugal among other destinations

Personally I think it's much too early to make a call on it one way or another as a lot can happen with this virus in 3 months

Its from the 25th isnt it? Their website doesnt mention non essential travel without restrictions yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Its from the 25th isnt it? Their website doesnt mention non essential travel without restrictions yet

Ah yes that's correct, just checked the bbc news site, the mainland can't even travel to NI for non-essential reasons until the 24th and Scottish islands are looking for rapid tests before arriving

Still though, it isn't August

Ah yes that's correct, just checked the bbc news site, the mainland can't even travel to NI for non-essential reasons until the 24th and Scottish islands are looking for rapid tests before arriving

Still though, it isn't August

very true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Perhaps someone covered this, but how can we prove that we are vaccinated to avoid MHQ? With the paper card? Asking before I book a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Quote from Examiner re variants and MHQ.

Don't underestimate the role of MHQ in both limiting the influx of new variants and giving our public health teams a fighting chance to deal with those already here.

The time has now come to really ask ourselves whether selective application of MHQ to a limited list of countries is really enough?

While I’ve yet to see convincing evidence that the new Indian variant is more transmissible or virulent than P1, that’s not saying much.

Both variants have inflicted deep trauma on countries where they have become established.

The ongoing rampant spread of the Indian variant on our doorstep represents an unprecedented threat, presenting us with some stark choices we’ve been putting off for too long.

The bottom line is that if we’re serious about using MHQ to protect ourselves against more dangerous Covid variants, we will have to now apply it to our nearest neighbours in the UK and Europe with whom we share a long-standing common travel area.

If we don’t, MHQ is little more than a speed bump for such contagious new variants.

A particular concern for me has been the well-intentioned but risky delays in administering second vaccine doses in the UK.

While this accelerates the scale-up of vaccine coverage, it also presents the virus with opportunities to continue evolving.

While none of us can tell where those evolutionary processes will take us, all significant new variants we’ve seen so far represent incremental evolutionary steps toward increased transmissibility, usually accompanied by increased virulence and at least some ability to evade immune responses against its predecessors.

The worst-case scenario in which something as transmissible and virulent as P1 or the Indian variant emerges that can routinely evade our vaccines may never happen, but it’s not impossible.

WHO has described that likelihood as “when, not if” but I’m not so sure. Having said that, I certainly slept better after listening to a convincing report from Singapore about their experiences with an outbreak of B.1617.2 in Tan Tock Seng Hospital. Although the index case had been fully vaccinated and several cases occurred among vaccinated staff and patients, none of them progressed to severe disease. Unfortunately, not all of those infected who had yet to be vaccinated were so lucky.

Small numbers of breakthrough infections occur with even the most effective vaccines, so insisting on vaccination for air passengers will slow but not entirely stop the international spread of new variants.

However, full vaccine coverage will really swing the odds in our favour, allowing us to stamp out transmission one country at a time and then start to normalise travel between Covid-free countries. '

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

Aer Lingus to close their Shannon base. Well done NPHET, the government and all their cheer leaders.

Absolute destruction across all sectors.

No other country has presed the self destruct button like Ireland.

Aer Lingus to close their Shannon base. Well done NPHET, the government and all their cheer leaders.

Happening anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

saabsaab wrote: »
    Happening anyway.

Source?

Yep, no other country stopped flights. Except the uk, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Greece, Norway,.......

Yep, no other country stopped flights. Except the uk, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Greece, Norway,.......

Its more than just aviation, we closed construction the longest, (did anybody else even close construction at all) hospitality probably the longest, aviation "might be back in August, or it might not"

It a ridiculous approach, akin to introducing a 10 KPH speed limit to reduce road traffic deaths.

Its more than just aviation, we closed construction the longest, (did anybody else even close construction at all) hospitality probably the longest, aviation "might be back in August, or it might not"

It a ridiculous approach, akin to introducing a 10 KPH speed limit to reduce road traffic deaths.

Well I think that speed limit would actually reduce deaths.

Your possible right in terms of length of lockdown but you make other suggestions that funny add up. Everyone closed construction.

Everyone closed construction.

That is not true,

Construction sites can stay open as the prime minister confirmed tonight that England would be plunged into a third national lockdown.

England didn't but our smart arses did and now the housing situation has been made even worse, along with aviation and a lot of other things due to their spineless leadership.

That is not true,

Construction sites can stay open as the prime minister confirmed tonight that England would be plunged into a third national lockdown.

England didn't but our smart arses did and now the housing situation has been made even worse, along with aviation and a lot of other things due to their spineless leadership.

There was no alternative. What would you have Brazil's policy?

saabsaab wrote: »
    There was no alternative. What would you have Brazil's policy?

Your key word this is "was"

We have moved on a long way from January yet our island nation is without an aviation recovery plan, other than "it might be August"

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Well I think that speed limit would actually reduce deaths.

Your possible right in terms of length of lockdown but you make other suggestions that funny add up. Everyone closed construction.

Construction was never halted in the UK, at any stage.

• Advertisement

ISOP wrote: »
    Construction was never halted in the UK, at any stage.

Isn't Scotland in the UK?

But not in the eu. I just assumed we were only looking at the eu as a comparison and not global.

Advertisement