Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This is a bit off-topic, but is the US ban on non-residents or non-citizens? Genuine question, it doesn't seem entirely clear to me. My first impression was that US citizens and their close family members (e.g. spouse) are free to travel to the US, but now I'm not sure if the family members need to be currently resident in the US in order to enter.

According to the CDC website citizens and lawful permanent residents of the United States, certain family members, and other individuals who meet specified exceptions

The exemptions are
    Foreign diplomats traveling to the United States on A or G visas
    Certain family members of above including spouses, minor children, parents (provided that his/her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident child is unmarried and under the age of 21), and siblings (provided that both the sibling and the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident are unmarried and under the age of 21).
    There is also an exception for air and sea crew traveling to the United States on C, D, or C1/D visas.

Full proclamation is available here
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/25/proclamation-on-the-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-non-immigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease/

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

Perhaps someone covered this, but how can we prove that we are vaccinated to avoid MHQ? With the paper card? Asking before I book a flight.

I think this explains what is required but i would also love to hear from others who flew in and avoided MHQ
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/183/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Ireland would be retarded to lose airports or controls. It's an Island for God's sake, it should be of utmost national security!

I think there is a genuine air or arrogance from the government. Just because we yapped well when Brexit happened and the EU patted us on the head.......doesn't mean we should be abdicating from looking after ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Ireland would be retarded to lose airports or controls. It's an Island for God's sake, it should be of utmost national security!

I think there is a genuine air or arrogance from the government. Just because we yapped well when Brexit happened and the EU patted us on the head.......doesn't mean we should be abdicating from looking after ourselves...

An island with a back door via the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Are there other countries except for the UK and The Netherlands where you can currently travel from Ireland without a negative PCR test?

I think Mexico is the only other one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

IQO wrote: »
    Are there other countries except for the UK and The Netherlands where you can currently travel from Ireland without a negative PCR test?

Switzerland is happy with an Antigen one.

If you're eligible to fly there the USA will let you in without any checks at all

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Perhaps someone covered this, but how can we prove that we are vaccinated to avoid MHQ? With the paper card? Asking before I book a flight.

Will need a cert with the following

(a) confirmation that the person to whom the certification
    refers is a vaccinated person;
    (b) the date or dates on which the person was vaccinated;
    (c) the body in the state concerned implementing the
    vaccination programme (howsoever described) on behalf
    of the state that administered or caused to be administered
    the vaccination to the person concerned;

Not sure the HSE card suffices

file:///C:/Users/mmclo/Downloads/132781_a91d4604-371a-4821-8732-1a3b466ef59b.pdf

Well the cabin crew in question at Shannon Airport were all on the PUP so there was no real cost for the last year-and-a-bit to the airline for having their crew based there and there will probably be startup grants as ever other business gets when the time comes

If course what they should have done was not sell their stake to AIG but that's a discussion for another thread on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

If you're eligible to fly there the USA will let you in without any checks at all
    Although it may not be checked I think there is a test requirement?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Germany also allows antigen tests
    https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268#content_3

I think italy and austria also allow them, well... they definitely allow them if travelling by land or staying in a hotel and i didnt see anything that you need a PCR test when travelling by plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Germany also allows antigen tests
    https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268#content_3

I think italy and austria also allow them, well... they definitely allow them if travelling by land or staying in a hotel and i didnt see anything that you need a PCR test when travelling by plane.

Italy, Germany and Austria are fine with Antigen for flying. You can get one at the airport before check in for €49.
    Results within the hour so no need for a separate trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

mmclo wrote: »

file:///C:/Users/mmclo/Downloads/132781_a91d4604-371a-4821-8732-1a3b466ef59b.pdf
    I dont understand how a vaccine cert can be trusted . I wonder how many already presented fake ones and avoided MHQ. Government probably know this too but they are taking the small risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Where did you see that? The CDC still says that a pre-flight test is required: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

They also say that travellers must get tested 3-5 days after flying and isolate for 7 days regardless of a negative result, although it isn't clear if that is a legal requirement or a recommendation.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Where did you see that? The CDC still says that a pre-flight test is required: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

They also say that travellers must get tested 3-5 days after flying and isolate for 7 days regardless of a negative result, although it isn't clear if that is a legal requirement or a recommendation.

I stand corrected on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

cnbyz wrote: »
    I dont understand how a vaccine cert can be trusted . I wonder how many already presented fake ones and avoided MHQ. Government probably know this too but they are taking the small risk

Fake PCR results too, that’s going to happen when they allow them to be so expensive.

Italy, Germany and Austria are fine with Antigen for flying. You can get one at the airport before check in for €49.
    Results within the hour so no need for a separate trip.

Do you need a certificate though? Lidl sell antigen tests for a fiver each

Do you need a certificate though? Lidl sell antigen tests for a fiver each

This is an old article, but it says that the tests for German have to be performed by a third party who can certify the time and date and the identity of the person being tested. That was certainly the case when I travelled earlier in the year. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/germany-now-requires-compulsory-test-results-for-all-incoming-flight-passengers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

This is an old article, but it says that the tests for German have to be performed by a third party who can certify the time and date and the identity of the person being tested. That was certainly the case when I travelled earlier in the year. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/germany-now-requires-compulsory-test-results-for-all-incoming-flight-passengers/
    you need it independently certified.
    testing must have been conducted or supervised in
    the Federal Republic of Germany or abroad by a service provider pursuant to section 6 (1) of the Coronavirus Testing Ordinance (Coronavirus-Testverordnung) or, in the context of company-based testing for the purpose of occupational health and safety, by staff who have
    - 2 -
    the required training, knowledge and experience or must have been conducted or supervised abroad by an entity authorised to do so under the law of the country concerned.The third party must also verify and confirm the identity of the person tested by means of an official photo ID. The certificate/test result shall indicate the date of testing and the type of test used
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Tests/Test_12052021_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

mmclo wrote: »

Thanks, booked for July, obviously anything can happen between cup and lip but right now the reversing trend seems to be moving back toward less rigorous restriction as vaccination continues.

• Advertisement

The big question that nobody seems to be able to answer... What happens if you test positive instead of negative? Ihether it be on the way out or on the way back home? Specifically on the way home as it has to be a negative PCR and probably didn't book a hotel for the extra 2-3 weeks

The big question that nobody seems to be able to answer... What happens if you test positive instead of negative? Ihether it be on the way out or on the way back home? Specifically on the way home as it has to be a negative PCR and probably didn't book a hotel for the extra 2-3 weeks

What do you mean "nobody seems to be able to answer"? That's been a risk to travel since last summer. Test positive overseas and you're going to need to hunker down for a while in an airbnb or something. Same if the country you are in is added to MHQ at short notice.

In all my travels since last summer my partner and I have taken our laptops so that we can work from wherever we are for a period, perhaps a prolonged one.

There is literally nobody travelling who is not aware of that risk, even if ignorance is feigned when caught up in that scenario

What do you mean "nobody seems to be able to answer"? That's been a risk to travel since last summer. Test positive overseas and you're going to need to hunker down for a while in an airbnb or something. Same if the country you are in is added to MHQ at short notice.

In all my travels since last summer my partner and I have taken our laptops so that we can work from wherever we are for a period, perhaps a prolonged one.

There is literally nobody travelling who is not aware of that risk, even if ignorance is feigned when caught up in that scenario

Yeah but as we know a PCR test can show positive with the smallest amount of virus in your system, some say up to 6 weeks after... That's a long and expensive time to be hunkered in an airbnb

In fairness I don't think anybody is going on holidays to areas that could be added to MHQ anytime soon

Yeah but as we know a PCR test can show positive with the smallest amount of virus in your system, some say up to 6 weeks after... That's a long and expensive time to be hunkered in an airbnb

In fairness I don't think anybody is going on holidays to areas that could be added to MHQ anytime soon

The idea that a PCR test is that sensitive sounds like something that people who have never been tested worry about. I've had 11 tests, three when symptomatic, and all came back negative. Anything is possible, but I wouldn't lose sleep over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

The idea that a PCR test is that sensitive sounds like something that people who have never been tested worry about. I've had 11 tests, three when symptomatic, and all came back negative. Anything is possible, but I wouldn't lose sleep over that.

There seems to be lots of evidence that a positive PCR does not guarantee you have infectious virus, and I don't mean a false positive. Having said that, the test for infectious virus isn't really feasible to do for public health, so for all intents and purposes its just an academic fact and everyone should assume positive PCR means you are capable of infecting others.

For reference:
    https://www.virology.ws/2017/02/17/viral-rna-is-not-infectious-virus/
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/infection-control-and-hospital-epidemiology/article/perplexing-problem-of-persistently-pcrpositive-personnel/2D0D5BC066D32BD6035D748EE1F47EE4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

It's been a while since we had some absconders.

https://twitter.com/DublinLive/status/1395414513734672384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I hope they are caught quickly and severely punished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

“Still at large”. Hilarious. Hardened dangerous criminals on the run, I think not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Data is showing massive vaccine hesitancy in Australia and New Zealand. While there are a number of factors contributing to it, MHQ can’t be excluded as a reason given the levels of complacency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Advertisement