Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

saabsaab wrote: »
    I hope they are caught quickly and severely punished.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

LOL

Lol indeed.

Maybe we can bring back public floggings to appease the anti travel mob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Lol indeed.

Maybe we can bring back public floggings to appease the anti travel mob.

Thankfully their ravings will become increasingly irrelevant based on the noises coming out of government over the last day or so. Even Donnelly was hinting at having the travel cert fully in place early in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

So the Indian variant is here, again demonstrating that selective MHQ is security theatre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

DaSilva wrote: »
    So the Indian variant is here, again demonstrating that selective MHQ is security theatre.

But not out of control, yet. To date we have had about 60 cases. Three more is not good especially where we have no idea where they are or what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

DaSilva wrote: »

Thats what all the evidence shows. You either have full MHQ, from everywhere (like they have in Australia). Or you don't bother (like the rest of Europe).

Doing it for some countries, but not others, and when we have a land border with Northern Ireland that 60,000 people cross a day, is beyond pointless. We get all of the economic damage and none of the actual ability to keep cases/variants out.

Anyone who wants to come here from a MHQ list country is just flying into Belfast and driving down. Absolutely no way of being caught or tracked. And thats how we now have the Indian variant here, increasing in numbers every day.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Thats what all the evidence shows. You either have full MHQ, from everywhere (like they have in Australia). Or you don't bother (like the rest of Europe).

Doing it for some countries, but not others, and when we have a land border with Northern Ireland that 60,000 people cross a day, is beyond pointless. We get all of the economic damage and none of the actual ability to keep cases/variants out.

Anyone who wants to come here from a MHQ list country is just flying into Belfast and driving down. Absolutely no way of being caught or tracked. And thats how we now have the Indian variant here, increasing in numbers every day.

Still under control here. 59 cases to date. MHQ isn't perfect but has put off many from coming here with variants in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Still under control here. 59 cases to date. MHQ isn't perfect but has put off many from coming here with variants in the first place.

It doesn't put anyone off from coming here if they really want to. All they have to do is fly into Belfast and drive down. Or fly into Frankfurt, or Lisbon, or anywhere else in Europe, and then fly to here from there and tell Irish immigration they're coming from Frankfurt/Lisbon/wherever.

I know multiple people who've flown in this way, from MHQ countries, in the last two weeks alone.

MHQ is pure (highly economically damaging) security theatre. Anyone who wants to come here from an MHQ country can, and still do, so very easily.

Blut2 wrote: »
    It doesn't put anyone off from coming here if they really want to. All they have to do is fly into Belfast and drive down. Or fly into Frankfurt, or Lisbon, or anywhere else in Europe, and then fly to here from there and tell Irish immigration they're coming from Frankfurt/Lisbon/wherever.

I know multiple people who've flown in this way, from MHQ countries, in the last two weeks alone.

MHQ is pure (highly economically damaging) security theatre. Anyone who wants to come here from an MHQ country can, and still do, so very easily.

As you say above if they really want to. Many don't and stay away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Mhq is doing its intended job and dicouraging people from unnecessary travel. Sure, theres a few few selfish low lifes getting around it, but for the most part its proven a successful deterrent for non essential travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Mhq is doing its intended job and dicouraging people from unnecessary travel. Sure, theres a few few selfish low lifes getting around it, but for the most part its proven a successful deterrent for non essential travel.

Don't know about anyone else, but the fact that it annoys lads like this, makes heading on your holidays even more enjoyable. :D

Any word on the three renegade absconders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Interesting that the EU is forging ahead with plans for international travel whilst the WHO on the otherhand have came out and said that its not yet safe to restart international travel
    International travel should still be avoided as progress against the coronavirus pandemic remains "fragile", the World Health Organization's Europe director told a press conference on Thursday.

"Right now, in the face of a continued threat and new uncertainty, we need to continue to exercise caution, and rethink or avoid international travel," Hans Kluge said.

https://www.deccanherald.com/international/not-yet-safe-to-restart-international-travel-who-europe-chief-987922.html

Odd thing is most of the media are not running with the story from the press conference detailed above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

faceman wrote: »
    Data is showing massive vaccine hesitancy in Australia and New Zealand. While there are a number of factors contributing to it, MHQ can’t be excluded as a reason given the levels of complacency.

Does the same apply to hesitancy of other vaccines in those countries? Flu for example?

There was an Australian minister on a radio talkshow a few weeks ago l, can't remember what show but he said essentially because of their zero covid strategy they won't be able to open their borders until long after Europe and the United States open so there's positives and negatives to everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gozunda wrote: »
    Interesting that the EU is forging ahead with plans for international travel whilst the WHO on the otherhand have came out and said that its not yet safe to restart international travel

https://www.deccanherald.com/international/not-yet-safe-to-restart-international-travel-who-europe-chief-987922.html

Odd thing is most of the media are not running with the story from the press conference detailed above
    He is right but COVID is receding in the EU, albeit more slowly in some places. There are now other factors at work notably an urgent need to restart tourism by some EU countries with the green passport likely to be partially in effect from next month. GDP for tourism ranges from about 7% to 20% in PIGS but it is a huge employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Headline is sensationalist and wrong but not clear at all how it might be refined. It also seems like it's less temporary than originally imagined.

Minister for Environment, Climate, Communications and Transport Eamon Ryan has said that the mandatory hotel quarantine system will be refined to target Covid-19 variants of real concern.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0523/1223436-hse-cyber-attack/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

Has anyone here flown to London recently. What are things like on arrival in London and on return to Ireland?

My brother is flying Dublin-Heathrow on Tuesday morning and back in the evening. It's for a funeral. He had an antigen test yesterday (that's for the return part, so 72 hours ahead of flight). He's had two shots of Pfizer vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

leck wrote: »
    Has anyone here flown to London recently. What are things like on arrival in London and on return to Ireland?

My brother is flying Dublin-Heathrow on Tuesday morning and back in the evening. It's for a funeral. He had an antigen test yesterday (that's for the return part, so 72 hours ahead of flight). He's had two shots of Pfizer vaccine.

Does the Irish govt accept the antigen test for your return, thought they did not so went searching
    Travel to Ireland
    The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is advising against all non-essential travel overseas.

If you are travelling to Ireland you should read the latest travel restrictions.

You must complete an online Passenger Locator Form with information about where you are staying in Ireland.

All passengers arriving into Ireland must have a negative or ‘not detected’ COVID test (RT- PCR test) taken no more than 72 hours before your arrival.

You must quarantine upon arrival.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Does the Irish govt accept the antigen test for your return, thought they did not so went searching
    Travel to Ireland
    The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is advising against all non-essential travel overseas.

If you are travelling to Ireland you should read the latest travel restrictions.

You must complete an online Passenger Locator Form with information about where you are staying in Ireland.

All passengers arriving into Ireland must have a negative or ‘not detected’ COVID test (RT- PCR test) taken no more than 72 hours before your arrival.

You must quarantine upon arrival.
    Presume that's "self-quarantine". He is driving himself to airport this end, so not public transport but will be taking train to funeral at other end.

He's been pretty much isolating for the last year. He hasn't left Dublin since March 2020 and has scarcely strayed beyond his local area.

He'd get a land if the was forced into hotel quarantine for 10 days or whatever it is. I feel he shouldn't go to the funeral, but he will be one of only two family members there.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Presume that's "self-quarantine". He is driving himself to airport this end, so not public transport but will be taking train to funeral at other end.

He's been pretty much isolating for the last year. He hasn't left Dublin since March 2020 and has scarcely strayed beyond his local area.

He'd get a land if the was forced into hotel quarantine for 10 days or whatever it is. I feel he shouldn't go to the funeral, but he will be one of only two family members there.
    I wouldn't be worried about MHQ, the issue I have is about Antigen Test when a PCR is required to enter Ireland. He'll get some land when he is not allowed board the flight
    Self Quarantine from UK
    MHQ is only for red list countries such as France, USA, India, etc

• Advertisement

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried about MHQ, the issue I have is about Antigen Test when a PCR is required to enter Ireland. He'll get some land when he is not allowed board the flight
    Self Quarantine from UK
    MHQ is only for red list countries such as France, USA, India, etc
    What's MHQ?

"Not allowed to board flight" - you mean if antigen test not back in time (hopefully it will be back before he departs DUB Tuesday morning) or you mean if the fails it? Do people get false positives?

What's MHQ?

"Not allowed to board flight" - you mean if antigen test not back in time (hopefully it will be back before he departs DUB Tuesday morning) or you mean if the fails it? Do people get false positives?

Won’t be allowed board the flight with an antigen test...::has to be a PCR test. They’re pretty strict on that (I’ve done it many times in the last few months). And if got as far as immigration in Dublin with only an antigen test instead of a PCR test
    , I think you’re taken to MHQ irrespective of where you’ve come from

Won’t be allowed board the flight with an antigen test...::has to be a PCR test. They’re pretty strict on that (I’ve done it many times in the last few months). And if got as far as immigration in Dublin with only an antigen test instead of a PCR test
    , I think you’re taken to MHQ irrespective of where you’ve come from
    I'm probably confused. I thought a PCR test was an antigen test. Presume he got a PCR test.

I'm probably confused. I thought a PCR test was an antigen test. Presume he got a PCR test.

It is confusing in that a PCR test is a type of antigen test. But when people refer to antigen testing they are referring to the less reliable ‘rapid’ antigen test. That one is not good for travel and he’ll be be allowed board with it

The PCR test goes to a lab and in the UK costs about £150 (friending on he fast its needed) The rapid antigen test gives a 30 minute result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It is confusing in that a PCR test is a type of antigen test. But when people refer to antigen testing they are referring to the less reliable ‘rapid’ antigen test. That one is not good for travel and he’ll be be allowed board with it

The PCR test goes to a lab and in the UK costs about £150 (friending on he fast its needed) The rapid antigen test gives a 30 minute result

There are 3 types of test that are widely used

1. PCR - can pick up the smallest amount of virus in your throat and nose... Testing can be positive for up to 6 weeks post infection

2. Lateral flow, sometimes called rapid antigen - picks up whether you are contagious or not only... Not as useful as PCR but miles better than temperature scanning

3. Antibody test - searches for covid antibodies. Relatively useless in determining if you have it on the day but scientists say that if you were infected or vaccinated in the last 6 months this would be positive, it could easily show positive for more than 6 months though... The vaccine makers used this in their phase 1 and 2 trials to determine if antibodies were made from the vaccine

There are 3 types of test that are widely used

1. PCR - can pick up the smallest amount of virus in your throat and nose... Testing can be positive for up to 6 weeks post infection

2. Lateral flow, sometimes called rapid antigen - picks up whether you are contagious or not only... Not as useful as PCR but miles better than temperature scanning

3. Antibody test - searches for covid antibodies. Relatively useless in determining if you have it on the day but scientists say that if you were infected or vaccinated in the last 6 months this would be positive, it could easily show positive for more than 6 months though... The vaccine makers used this in their phase 1 and 2 trials to determine if antibodies were made from the vaccine

Right. Was that intended to be some kind of effort to educate me?

The conversation is about getting on planes

Right. Was that intended to be some kind of effort to educate me?

The conversation is about getting on planes

The thread is about control on airports high risk countries. There is another thread about getting to places. I found it clear.

The thread is about control on airports high risk countries. There is another thread about getting to places. I found it clear.

and whats a condescending lecture from Red Silurian got to do with the question I was answering?

and whats a condescending lecture from Red Silurian got to do with the question I was answering?

It wasn't condescending at all, just informative. I can't see an issue. You may think this is the 'Are we there yet thread'?

• Advertisement

It wasn't condescending at all, just informative. I can't see an issue. You may think this is the 'Are we there yet thread'?

when its an irrelevance to the question being asked which was whether an antigen test was sufficient to board a flight, yes it comes across as condescending. I'll leave it there.

And yes, I do frequent the "are we there yet" thread given that I do a good bit of travel.

Advertisement