Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Cambodia is but it's corrupt as fcuk with huge Chinese influence. They've actually sold whole cities to China in recent years

I don't think half these people are getting their 3 grand back. They'll find some excuse or delay it's return to getting it back to tourists for months

It has the nickname Scambodia for a reason

There have been no issues getting the money back. And there are no tourists going there given the conditions attached to entry. The only foreigners arriving have either work or family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There have been no issues getting the money back. And there are no tourists going there given the conditions attached to entry. The only foreigners arriving have either work or family.

I wouldn't trust the Cambodian government with a fiver, let alone 3 grand

Regarding the conditions; both Thailand and Cambodia are purposely making this more trouble than it's worth for tourists to go. They don't want tourists there but at least this shows that they made an "effort"

The regulations attached to getting into Thailand in particular are hilariously convoluted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Coveney: 'Tourists Should Not Be Coming To Ireland Right Now'

http://www.redfm.ie/news/coronavirus/tourists-should-not-be-coming-to-ireland-right-now/

But they are, Coveney needs to grow a pair and take a proper stance on this, enforced quarantine paid for by the holidayer

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

If they're not willing to enforce quarantine in hotels near to the airport then there needs to be jail time if it's proven that a tourist flouted the quarantine.

Expecting all tourists to do the right thing just because is living in a f***ing dream world. With contact tracing and phone location data, Gardai should be able to prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

If they're not willing to enforce quarantine in hotels near to the airport then there needs to be jail time if it's proven that a tourist flouted the quarantine.

Expecting all tourists to do the right thing just because is living in a f***ing dream world. With contact tracing and phone location data, Gardai should be able to prove it.

We don't have to worry, according to some eejits on this thread there are no tourists coming in, crisis averted!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Green list would be nice to see. Looks like they are afraid to upset our American friend's.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Limpy wrote: »
    Green list would be nice to see. Looks like they are afraid to upset our American friend's.

...and they are right ! Hard to imagine what happens if Apple, Boston scientific, etc are gone from Ireland ! Half of population would die from starvation..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I love how it's touted as some impossible tasks to enforce tourists yet not weeks ago we were facing fines for travelling 2km outside our home. Do they actually think we're stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

smurgen wrote: »
    I love how it's touted as some impossible tasks to enforce tourists yet not weeks ago we were facing fines for travelling 2km outside our home. Do they actually think we're stupid?

What is the penalty for avoiding quarantine in Ireland? Is it legally enforced at all? As I said previously there's a fine of £1000 for violating quarantine in the UK.

I'm probably more minded towards the conclusion that people shouldn't enter at all from high risk countries with medium risk quarantining.

pc7 wrote: »
    It takes one person on a flight to get things rolling badly, just one if they don’t quarantine. Do what Oz/New Zealand do, into a hotel for two weeks that you have to pay for yourself. Proper testing during that time, also helps some hotels out with nominal fee. We need to get this sorted and in place before the winter.

Exactly that. We were told during lockdown to behave as if we had the virus. That was the level of decorum/discipline expected of millions of us. Now think of a conservatively 20 Texans per flight, 3 flights per week traveling around Ireland. How many interactions do you think the average American has on an average trip? People working in shops/hotels/restaurants and soon bars. How will contact tracing work if one of them is found to have Covid toward the end of their holiday or worse still when they return to the US?

• Advertisement

What is the penalty for avoiding quarantine in Ireland? Is it legally enforced at all? As I said previously there's a fine of £1000 for violating quarantine in the UK.

I'm probably more minded towards the conclusion that people shouldn't enter at all from high risk countries with medium risk quarantining.

During the 2km limit it was up to 2,500 EUR.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/coronavirus-travel-restrictions-checkpoints-2km-21835545

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Sure, but I mean for travellers returning to Ireland from overseas?

It would be absurd if we were fining people travelling within Ireland €2500 a few months ago, and we're not fining people for violating quarantine from abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Sure, but I mean for travellers returning to Ireland from overseas?

It would be absurd if we were fining people travelling within Ireland €2500 a few months ago, and we're not fining people for violating quarantine from abroad.

Were fining people for nothing. Nobody was fined €2500 a few months ago. Just like nobody will be fined for not wearing a mask on a bus (given the authorities can't agree who will police it to start with). Just like the 9 euro meals.

It is a joke, we just make rules here and nobody polices them. No wonder yanks are just arriving here and doing as they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Were fining people for nothing. Nobody was fined €2500 a few months ago. Just like nobody will be fined for not wearing a mask on a bus (given the authorities can't agree who will police it to start with). Just like the 9 euro meals.

It is a joke, we just make rules here and nobody polices them. No wonder yanks are just arriving here and doing as they want.

How many yanks are arriving? Certainly no great sign of a load of them in Dublin over last 4/5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

gral6 wrote: »
    ...and they are right ! Hard to imagine what happens if Apple, Boston scientific, etc are gone from Ireland ! Half of population would die from starvation..

Why would Apple leave Ireland? Because we stop US tourists coming on holiday for a few weeks? Seriously?

Are the US packing up all their companies all over Europe? No they are not.

As if American companies are going to leave because a small number of tourists can't come. They are multinationals not a wing of the US government and likely don't even know or care if tourists can come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Whatever about the small numbers of tourists, does anyone actually think any of them are flying all that way to sit in a hotel room for 2 weeks before they start their holiday. It is nonsensical. I’d wager the proportion properly quarantining is close to 0% (if not actually 0%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

EDit wrote: »
    Whatever about the small numbers of tourists, does anyone actually think any of them are flying all that way to sit in a hotel room for 2 weeks before they start their holiday. It is nonsensical. I’d wager the proportion properly quarantining is close to 0% (if not actually 0%)

The tourists certainly are not. There are some visiting family who probably are (certainly keeping things tight).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Or fly to the North then head to the Republic, you won't break any Irish laws and you won't need to fill out any forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

How many yanks are arriving? Certainly no great sign of a load of them in Dublin over last 4/5 days.

Loads in Killarney by all accounts. No surprise to see authorities monitoring a spike in Kerry.

And even if there is a handful with Covid-19, it is too many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

200 to 250 a day according to the Irish times with 30% getting a connection somewhere else.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-200-to-250-people-arriving-in-ireland-from-us-daily-coveney-1.4303426?mode=amp

Is that enough to cause a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Unfortunately not enough to save our tourist industry.

Doesn't stop the social-media hysteria though.

Who needs facts when you have anecdotes and hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Unfortunately not enough to save our tourist industry.

Doesn't stop the social-media hysteria though.

Who needs facts when you have anecdotes and hearsay.

Somebody just posted facts on the post above yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

s1ippy wrote: »

I already posted this on the main covid thread but I think it deserves to be said here again.

This Mary Kelly bint thinks that she is more important than everyone else. She thinks that because nobody will actually physically prevent her from travelling and not quarantining, and because there is no specific LAW against it she is within her rights.

She thinks that being an Irish citizen excludes her from adhering to the guidelines. She thinks that her position can be manipulated in such a way that she will be the exception is the rule and she is determined to find a way around having to quarantine.

What's more, even if there was a law against coming or they were enforcing the quarantine, she would proudly come in through the backdoor of NI.

Clearly the rules do not apply to her, she is so important that she announces this on national radio. An utter cretin.

Yep. "little bedsit in Donnybrook with no food or water". Self-entitlement at its worst. Tesco up the road will deliver, water in her tap. Do I pity her? Only her ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,229 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

EDit wrote: »

The tourists who come here for a weekend or a week are definitely quarantining for 2 weeks :D

To thine own self be true

On Sunday a busload, approx 35/40 all headed into Arnotts for a shopping trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bubblypop wrote: »

Were they not the ones sent to Carroll's Irish Gift store for 2 weeks??

bubblypop wrote: »

Your anecdotes say more than real evidence ever could.

Your anecdotes say more than real evidence ever could.

What's needed people to stand outside arrivals and tail a coach all the way to Kerry? I was in Killarney about two weeks ago and there was a hand full of Americans in some of the shops we were in. None in the hotel but definitely in the shops. Now that was fairly soon after the pubs restaurants reopened so I'd say it's grown in tourist numbers since.
    Some of those arriving were interviewed by Newstalk and the said they thought the pandemic were overblown.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/came-ireland-essentially-avoid-florida-passengers-arriving-ireland-us-1044223

What's needed people to stand outside arrivals and tail a coach all the way to Kerry? I was in Killarney about two weeks ago and there was a hand full of Americans in some of the shops we were in. None in the hotel but definitely in the shops. Now that was fairly soon after the pubs restaurants reopened so I'd say it's grown in tourist numbers since.
    Some of those arriving were interviewed by Newstalk and the said they thought the pandemic were overblown.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/came-ireland-essentially-avoid-florida-passengers-arriving-ireland-us-1044223

They're quite correct and it's great to hear that some of them are traveling to Ireland to spend their tourist-dollars in our economy.

It's certainly much needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

It’s a bit like chasing €20 but risking losing €20 million.

There’s a tiny trickle of American tourists into the country. We shut down the whole place to prevent spread at less than 100 cases.

Given the scale of the outbreaks in the USA the risks are enormous.

Parts of the US itself have implemented more measures than we have. Hawaii has actually got quarantine measures in place and NY is beginning to implement locator forms.

The 2020 tourist season is going to be weird whatever we do. The focus needs to be on domestic and, when we’ve the air bridge solution to safe countries, tourists from there.

Ireland also is one of the least tourist dependent countries in the EU and spends more money on outbound tourism than we earn from inbound.

The business focus now should be trying to capture some of the billions we normally spend on overseas trips and redeploying it into the Irish tourism industry. That’s how we will save jobs.

You’d swear we were some small tourist island, utterly dependent on American tourism for our whole economy the way some people go on. The reality is we’re one of the least tourism dependent economies in the OECD and have a lot of potential to grow it in years ahead.

If people in Ireland don’t feel safe holidaying at home, we risk undermining the huge spend that is available to placate a very small number of morons who’ve ignored all travel advice and are touring Ireland as if it’s business as usual.

Protecting the broader Irish economy is what’s extremely important in this and we are not making very logical decisions and I can only assume the government is once again fence sitting.

Even if we were opening up, we don’t have adequate measures in place for inbound tourists.

Advertisement