Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

OwenM wrote: »
    true though.

not true

the likelihood is that younger people will experience much less negative effects. however many young people have and will have very dangerous experiences if they contract the disease

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hyperbole
    Not particularly. If we use the cut off of "young" as under 35, in Ireland since the pandemic hit fourteen young people have died from Covid 19. We have no idea of their medical history or underlying cofactors and it was a tragedy in each and every case. However out of the nearly 266,000 people who tested positive for covid 19 that comes out as 0.005% of that whole. By the way that number alone is lower than the risk with the "ordinary" flu season. And that actual whole will be much larger when we consider those exposed and infected and not tested for positives. While I'd not be so flippant to equate it to a fart in a lift, certainly not for the loved ones involved that is an absolutely miniscule number/level of risk in the young. In the very young who returned positives it seems they weren't even very good vectors for transmission in the community. The hyperbole is much more in suggesting it was/is such a danger to the young.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

hyperbole

It's not. The vast majority brush it off like nothing. RTE look around for the very rare cases of a young person who is very sick (accompanied by slow sad music of course for effect) and try and make it seem common when it isn't.

The damage caused to young peoples mental health by the strictest lockdown in the world will have much more damaging effect on them long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

not true

the likelihood is that younger people will experience much less negative effects. however many young people have and will have very dangerous experiences if they contract the disease

read this: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117398569&postcount=6038

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not particularly. If we use the cut off of "young" as under 35, in Ireland since the pandemic hit fourteen young people have died from Covid 19. We have no idea of their medical history or underlying cofactors and it was a tragedy in each and every case. However out of the nearly 266,000 people who tested positive for covid 19 that comes out as 0.005% of that whole. By the way that number alone is lower than the risk with the "ordinary" flu season. And that actual whole will be much larger when we consider those exposed and infected and not tested for positives. While I'd not be so flippant to equate it to a fart in a lift, certainly not for the loved ones involved that is an absolutely miniscule number/level of risk in the young. In the very young who returned positives it seems they weren't even very good vectors for transmission in the community. The hyperbole is much more in suggesting it was/is such a danger to the young.

.....you realise dying isnt the only danger right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

How many young people under 30 have died?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

There's danger involved with everything in life. The danger posed to people in their 30s or younger is so small that worrying about it is about as useful as worrying when you're tying your shoes. The main thing young people need to be wary of is not spreading it to more vulnerable people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OwenM wrote: »
    The problem and it's an understandable one is that we got bloody scared when this pandemic hit and we were right to be. The horrific images coming out of Italian hospitals and morgues were enough to freak anyone out or should have. This is much more than "just a flu" and we needed lockdowns, we needed social distancing, masks, restrictions on travel, protecting the vulnerable and vaccines. I supported all of the above and still do even in retrospect.

But the fear was ramped up and never switched off. We had doom mongers online and off. Again understandable in the early days. We have had the government and the media really ramping up the fear throughout and with every variant that comes along. And sadly the actual reality of this Wuhan virus is not the world ender we worried about. Thank Christ. Early on in this forum I would say thank feck this wasn't a new form of smallpox when looking at the confusion and sometimes idiocy in people and governments, but it isn't. Though with some the fear and hype is still running strong.

There's a thing in human nature whose name escapes that goes something like; the more actually safe our environment or we are from threats, the more fearful about threats we can sometimes be. Months ago I read in the UK Times a survey of British people's fears of attack on the street. The most fearful were middle aged women, the least fearful were young men. Guess who should have been the fearful ones? Reverse the two groups. If covid 19 had hit in 1918, with a far deadlier virus doing the rounds that killed people in their prime, a world war killing millions, smallpox still in the wild and childhood mortality far far higher then today, it would likely not have even been noticed.

This virus is deadly and should be respected, but it's not nearly so dangerous as we once thought, save to the living of our lives. That was its worse danger in many ways.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I do, but let's in turn look at hospitalisations in the under 35s in Ireland. The percentage against the 266,000 proven positive cases? 0.7% Again a very distressing and worrying time for them and their loved ones and our lockdown measures et al helped keep that number low and keep it low enough so the frontline health workers could give them all the care and attention they needed, but it's still a tiny figure.

By the way that 0.7 is about the mortality rate in the over 65's infected in the average flu season. Have you had a flu vaccine every year in the last ten or whatever or taken extra precautions to protect them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

sheroman01 wrote: »
    My partner had a flight back home to France on Tuesday. She had the text message from the HSE to confirm she was negative. They wouldn't accept it, despite it being official and with a referral number on it too.

Had to change flight to Wednesday morning. New test taken at Randox that day, €69, results received midnight.

Wednesday morning comes and....she wasn't asked once for her negative test result!! Just went straight through!

Within 24 hours, it went from refusing entry to your flight for your negative test not being official enough, to not even checking your test result at all!

This is a common thing. It's made very clear on various airline and airport pages that covid tests carried out by the state (HSE or NHS etc) are not valid for International travel. You simply don't get the required information from these to allow you to travel.

Whether or not the tests are checked is z different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Until the vaccinations are past a certain point it's best not to travel abroad. Until end of June at least.

We are well past that point. Look at the hospital numbers in the main hospitals. 11 hospitals including St. James have no cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It does seem to be coming to an end at last with the vaccines but the delta variant is likely to eventually become dominant in Ireland, and it could be succeeded in time by other, even fitter variants. We are on track just a bit longer.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-may-be-stable-in-ireland-now-but-the-delta-variant-looms-1.4590869

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

TefalBrain wrote: »
    If you are young this virus is about as harmful as a fart in an elevator, if you are older or old you are either fully vaccinated or will be very soon.

The situation couldn't be more different than a few short months ago.

But but but Long Covid!!!!

Because prior to Covid nobody ever took months to properly get over a flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Has anyone travelled recently and know what is going on?

Checking gov.ie website and isolation at home still seems to be a thing for 14 days after travel.

I know someone traveling within Europe and they have their first vaccine shot and they think they don't have to do the isolation part once they're back.

That doesn't make sense to me. They aren't fully vaccinated and they think it's ok not to do any isolation. So who's right?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Has anyone travelled recently and know what is going on?

Checking gov.ie website and isolation at home still seems to be a thing for 14 days after travel.

I know someone traveling within Europe and they have their first vaccine shot and they think they don't have to do the isolation part once they're back.

That doesn't make sense to me. They aren't fully vaccinated and they think it's ok not to do any isolation. So who's right?

They arent fully vaccinated and it's also pre July 19th so its either quarantine for 14 days, or do a test on day 5 and then they can stop quarantining.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

But but but Long Covid!!!!

Because prior to Covid nobody ever took months to properly get over a flu.

I have a college mate who hasn't been able to work since last May. He caught Covid in late April, 1 week in hospital then home.
    He is a smoker so definitely vulnerable to Covid in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Tenger wrote: »
    I have a college mate who hasn't been able to work since last May. He caught Covid in late April, 1 week in hospital then home.
    He is a smoker so definitely vulnerable to Covid in that way.

Early in the pandemic smokers were reported to have better average outcomes as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Valhallapt wrote: »

The taxpayer has been paying the wage bills of Lufthansa and Stobart, yet both companies are now saying bye bye, looks to me like the only winners are the corporate shareholders

It does seem to be coming to an end at last with the vaccines but the delta variant is likely to eventually become dominant in Ireland, and it could be succeeded in time by other, even fitter variants. We are on track just a bit longer.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-may-be-stable-in-ireland-now-but-the-delta-variant-looms-1.4590869

What we should be doing is putting a certain number of vaccines to one side for where we see the pockets of outbreaks in the country, send the vaccines in and 2 weeks later the numbers should plummet

Although then you're rewarding and promoting bad behaviour so maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The taxpayer has been paying the wage bills of Lufthansa and Stobart, yet both companies are now saying bye bye, looks to me like the only winners are the corporate shareholders

What we should be doing is putting a certain number of vaccines to one side for where we see the pockets of outbreaks in the country, send the vaccines in and 2 weeks later the numbers should plummet

Although then you're rewarding and promoting bad behaviour so maybe not

This was raised a while ago but rejected. I still think it could play a part if a section of society or an area is a source then if it is given special treatment it can benefit everyone.

• Advertisement

This was raised a while ago but rejected. I still think it could play a part if a section of society or an area is a source then if it is given special treatment it can benefit everyone.

It can and scientifically it makes sense 100% but it's political suicide, you will get people up in arms because those that didn't follow the restrictions would get vaccines and worse you'll get less buy in to the restrictions from those that were previously following them

sheroman01 wrote: »
    My partner had a flight back home to France on Tuesday. She had the text message from the HSE to confirm she was negative. They wouldn't accept it, despite it being official and with a referral number on it too.

Had to change flight to Wednesday morning. New test taken at Randox that day, €69, results received midnight.

Wednesday morning comes and....she wasn't asked once for her negative test result!! Just went straight through!

Within 24 hours, it went from refusing entry to your flight for your negative test not being official enough, to not even checking your test result at all!

Within 24 hours it went from your partner not following a well established system for travel as required by the French authorities to traveling and being allowed enter France.

Next time, do it right the first time and you will avoid the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

There's talk of tighter restrictions for those coming from the UK. What I don't understand, why not the rest of Europe as well? The virus seems to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

There's talk of tighter restrictions for those coming from the UK. What I don't understand, why not the rest of Europe as well? The virus seems to get around.

Yes,like everything this govt does responding to the hysteria over travel this will solve nothing. Extra quarantine from the uk but I can go to spain with no quarantine on return post 19/07.

Luckily the brits dont know about spain so I wont bump into any there.

And that's without even thinking about the open border in 6 out of 32 counties where no test or quarantine applies.

Simplest thing is to allow vaccinated travel only
    No excuse in the UK not to be vaccinated and in a month or two no excuse in the EU

Why should we let in stupid people only to have our covid status wrecked

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No excuse in the UK not to be vaccinated and in a month or two no excuse in the EU

That’s discriminatory. People with negative antigen test results must be permitted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Under 40s have not even gotten first dose yet, never mind 2nd dose. Lets punish all the young people even further for having the cheek to be young and healthy and at very little risk to this disease.

This 100% yes. Unless they're vaccinated of course
    faceman wrote: »
    That’s discriminatory. People with negative antigen test results must be permitted too.

It's not discriminatory as race, age, sex, and disability doesn't come into it

This is a very smart public health measure. If international travel requires vaccination then you're promoting vaccination. Now the flip side is you need to make sure that anybody who wants a vaccine can get one, introducing it right now would be discriminatory based on age

As for antigen testing, you would need 2 or 3 per person taken every day or even every second day to make it as good as a vaccine

faceman wrote: »

Its currently even more discriminatory..
    Its the simplest thing and only for a month or two until we get to the 80%
    Its what I'd decide
    No hesitation

What we'll actually get is longer pretend self policed quarantine allowing in 1000's of delta ro the 100's of 1000's on one dose with poor protection from it

• Advertisement

This 100% yes. Unless they're vaccinated of course

It's not discriminatory as race, age, sex, and disability doesn't come into it

This is a very smart public health measure. If international travel requires vaccination then you're promoting vaccination. Now the flip side is you need to make sure that anybody who wants a vaccine can get one, introducing it right now would be discriminatory based on age

As for antigen testing, you would need 2 or 3 per person taken every day or even every second day to make it as good as a vaccine

It could be argued as age related but at this stage, just open the bloody gate. We're into the under 40 healthy group ffs

Advertisement