Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Tenger wrote: »
    Some restrictions are better than no restrictions. But yes, the 6 counties and UK flights into Belfast are an open gate.
    Hence why last year an “all island solution” was the goal, but the DUP refused to play ball.

One of the rare cases where the DUP did the right thing, not get shackled to Tony H while Micheal M abdicates all responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This 100% yes. Unless they're vaccinated of course

It's not discriminatory as race, age, sex, and disability doesn't come into it

This is a very smart public health measure. If international travel requires vaccination then you're promoting vaccination. Now the flip side is you need to make sure that anybody who wants a vaccine can get one, introducing it right now would be discriminatory based on age

As for antigen testing, you would need 2 or 3 per person taken every day or even every second day to make it as good as a vaccine

I was tole about a Month ago that the EU made the decision that the people who were not given any other option only AZ vaccine would be discriminated against as travel would be restricted for considerable time based on the fact 2nd jab 12 weeks.
    I said this on another thread "spain" here and a few people got on to me about it.
    There are a few nutters on here as i was passing on what i was advised and it turned out to be correct.
    I do not know if the word "discrimination" is appropriate or not but that's what i was told...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Disappointing to see the gov up to there old spin tricks again with the declaration that people travelling from the uk will have to quarantine longer.

Pure optics.

They know it will not help in the slightest but they have to look like their doing something.

A much more better measure would be too enhance the home quaratining surveillance but they dont want to do that for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Disappointing to see the gov up to there old spin tricks again with the declaration that people travelling from the uk will have to quarantine longer.

Pure optics.

They know it will not help in the slightest but they have to look like their doing something.

A much more better measure would be too enhance the home quaratining surveillance but they dont want to do that for some reason.

Because the gardai themselves have said they have no ability to police the home quarantining. If they were checking once a day on the people quarantining for 5 days, they'd need to be carrying out close to 20,000 checks a day. And we only have 14,000 gardai total in the country, who have a few other tasks to do with their time.

But even if that logistical issue was somehow solved - they call to your door and you don't answer. Then what? They can't legally enter the house, you could well be asleep or in the shower or in the back garden (or just claim to have been). Theres no way of proving you weren't home, and it can't be demanded you're able to answer the door 24/7.

You're also legally allowed leave the house to go grocery shopping when in quarantine (so you don't starve), so even if they see you literally walking out the door all you have to do is claim that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Id love someone in the know to tell me how they actually police this or if its actually being policed.
    I arrive in from the uk and i "isolate" at home. Am i checked on 2 or 3 times a day even once a day?

• Advertisement

Id love someone in the know to tell me how they actually police this or if its actually being policed.
    I arrive in from the uk and i "isolate" at home. Am i checked on 2 or 3 times a day even once a day?

There is no policing. You get the occasional text.

They don’t go door to door at the moment checking in on people to make sure they’re not murdering anyone. Most people play by the rules, that’s how society functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

No. You get a daily text reminding you to stay at home and to attend a hospital if you develop any symptoms. You may get a call asking if you are at home and to confirm the address given on the passenger locator form (Is that necessary when travelling from the UK?), that's about the extent of it.

There's the possibility of being checked but the reality is you would be in the 1% if it happened. Very few areas have the time or manpower.

(I would argue no areas have)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Acosta

What's all this about getting a second PCR test coming from the UK? Who's going to take it from you as you'll be isolating at home?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Other European nations have actual daily checks. (Specifically Poland and Hungary as I’ve friends who went home last year) Text alert requesting a GPS screenshot within 10-15 mins, or random checks from police at your door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Blut2 wrote: »
    Because the gardai themselves have said they have no ability to police the home quarantining. If they were checking once a day on the people quarantining for 5 days, they'd need to be carrying out close to 20,000 checks a day. And we only have 14,000 gardai total in the country, who have a few other tasks to do with their time.

But even if that logistical issue was somehow solved - they call to your door and you don't answer. Then what? They can't legally enter the house, you could well be asleep or in the shower or in the back garden (or just claim to have been). Theres no way of proving you weren't home, and it can't be demanded you're able to answer the door 24/7.

You're also legally allowed leave the house to go grocery shopping when in quarantine (so you don't starve), so even if they see you literally walking out the door all you have to do is claim that...

Its tricky but not insurmountable. Even if they just concentrated on house calls specifically for people from the uk over the next few weeks it would take a fraction of the resources.

A few random checks and fines issued would go along way in discouraging non compliance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Valhallapt wrote: »

They don’t go door to door at the moment checking in on people to make sure they’re not murdering anyone. Most people play by the rules, that’s how society functions.

One of my friends had a Gardai knock at the door less than a month ago to check she was isolating after leaving Spain.

Someone is doing it. Such a waste of resources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

faceman wrote: »
    One of my friends had a Gardai knock at the door less than a month ago to check she was isolating after leaving Spain.

I wouldnt agree. If you have actual spot checks then more will follow the rules and the public might be slightly less sceptical towards people arriving from abroad.

faceman wrote: »

shocking waste of tax payers borrowed money. Sorry Garda I was at Tesco, gettin' de essential messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its tricky but not insurmountable. Even if they just concentrated on house calls specifically for people from the uk over the next few weeks it would take a fraction of the resources.

A few random checks and fines issued would go along way in discouraging non compliance.

How exactly does that surmount the problem that theres no legal obligation to open the door to them?

You can be out anywhere, and if the gardai say they called to your house you just have to tell them you were asleep and didn't hear the doorbell. Absolutely no way to hold someone accountable for that.

Or even as I said, if they somehow caught you fortuitously literally on the door step leaving the house, you just have to tell them you're on the way to Tesco to get food and its no bother, they have to leave you off on your way.

Its completely pointless, even somehow setting the massive logistical / use of garda resources issues aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I am in quarantine now since Friday after returning to Ireland and only got 2 texts.

One reminding me to self isolate and another to confirm that I am still at the address listed on the locator form.

I am responsible one and apart from quick trip to the shop I am not seeing anyone.

Mind if I decided to go for a little walk or to cycle on my own I would not feel guilty at all. I am just too lazy to do it right now.

People need to understand that main point in self isolating is to avoid contact with others, not to be stuck in bed for 2 weeks.

Have test booked for Thursday so hopefully be back living my life soon.

If I catch covid the only place I can think of is bloody Dublin Airport with everyone squeezed like sardines at the queue to immigration desks. Ridiculous and don't recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

A man was put into MHQ when he was travelling here for surgery.
    His appeals on arrival were denied despite the fact that the legislation allows for people coming for urgent medical treatment.

Of course the state released him as soon as he appealed to the high court in order to avoid the case being heard.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1404812074107211782

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Acosta wrote: »
    What's all this about getting a second PCR test coming from the UK? Who's going to take it from you as you'll be isolating at home?

New rules for arrival from the UK
    Non Vaccinated - 10 days "self isolation" if free PCR on day 5 and 10 is clear
    Vaccinated - 5 days "self isolation" if free PCR on day 5 is clear because of course we don't believe in vaccinations anymore

Now my maths are imperfect but does it not take a day for PCR results to come back? Wouldn't that make it 6 or 11 days?
    wonski wrote: »
    I am in quarantine now since Friday after returning to Ireland and only got 2 texts.

One reminding me to self isolate and another to confirm that I am still at the address listed on the locator form.

I am responsible one and apart from quick trip to the shop I am not seeing anyone.

Mind if I decided to go for a little walk or to cycle on my own I would not feel guilty at all. I am just too lazy to do it right now.

People need to understand that main point in self isolating is to avoid contact with others, not to be stuck in bed for 2 weeks.

Have test booked for Thursday so hopefully be back living my life soon.

If I catch covid the only place I can think of is bloody Dublin Airport with everyone squeezed like sardines at the queue to immigration desks. Ridiculous and don't recommend it to anyone.

Just remember

1. You're in "self isolation" not quarantine. Quarantine is done in hotels

2. You were not meant to make a "quick trip to the shop" during "self isolation" although nobody will stop you and nobody is likely to check up on you

3. You say you are responsible yet you wouldn't feel guilty going for a "little walk or to cycle," again nobody will stop you and you wouldn't be the only one doing it so not feeling guilty makes sense but it is irresponsible

4. If you have caught COVID-19 you could have caught it anywhere that you were and from anybody you met in the last 2 weeks, including at the shop you went to, not just at Dublin Airport. Admittedly it would have been most likely caught in the last 5 days and Dublin Airport sounds like it was most likely the place. Hopefully you didn't catch it or spread it at all though and good luck in your test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Valhallapt wrote: »

Lol that's how society functions good one.

New rules for arrival from the UK
    Non Vaccinated - 10 days "self isolation" if free PCR on day 5 and 10 is clear
    Vaccinated - 5 days "self isolation" if free PCR on day 5 is clear because of course we don't believe in vaccinations anymore

Now my maths are imperfect but does it not take a day for PCR results to come back? Wouldn't that make it 6 or 11 days?

Just remember

1. You're in "self isolation" not quarantine. Quarantine is done in hotels

2. You were not meant to make a "quick trip to the shop" during "self isolation" although nobody will stop you and nobody is likely to check up on you

3. You say you are responsible yet you wouldn't feel guilty going for a "little walk or to cycle," again nobody will stop you and you wouldn't be the only one doing it so not feeling guilty makes sense but it is irresponsible

4. If you have caught COVID-19 you could have caught it anywhere that you were and from anybody you met in the last 2 weeks, including at the shop you went to, not just at Dublin Airport. Admittedly it would have been most likely caught in the last 5 days and Dublin Airport sounds like it was most likely the place. Hopefully you didn't catch it or spread it at all though and good luck in your test

Well the government sent me a text saying I am self-quarantining now, so whatever you call it ;)

If I go for an evening walk with no one around me how is it irresponsible?

I live in rural enough area, very quiet in the evening.

I get your point though and am sitting at home.

As for catching it all people I met were vaccinated, apart from the crowd at the airports so most likely would catch it there. And Dublin arrival was a disaster, believe me. If you asked me what not to do during pandemic, the pictures from Dublin arrival would give you the answers.

As far as I can tell there is no control of people coming from abroad and wouldn't be surprised if some are now sitting in outdoor gardens and meeting friends etc.

That's where the difference is between me stating I am the responsible one and them, who arrive here and don't give a ****.

I had to go to the shop to buy food.

Was in and out quicker than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Lol @ the window dressing of today's announcement

"shure it'll be grand"

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1404822229939113989

History will view Johnson and Martin as two of the weakest leaders of any country in the past 18 months

Not dangerous and mental like Bolsonaro of Brazil. But just two weak men with no backbone whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

For general guidance, the terms 'restricted movements' and 'self-isolation' have been abandoned on gov.ie in favour of 'quarantine period' and 'home quarantine.' https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#post-arrival-quarantine-requirements-for-all-passengers-arriving-in-ireland
    The guidance around home quarantine doesn't allow for visits to the shop or exercise.

Quote/
    You may only leave your place of residence during the quarantine period for unavoidable reasons of an emergency nature to protect a person’s health or welfare, to leave the State or to obtain a post-arrival COVID-19 test./ Unquote

The earlier guidance on restricting movements (last updated on 12 March) allows for exercise, but not going to the shops (see the how-to-restrict-your-movements section).
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html#restrict

It would be useful if the most recent information was provided in full in one place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wouldnt agree. If you have actual spot checks then more will follow the rules and the public might be slightly less sceptical towards people arriving from abroad.

We don’t need Gardai for spot checks. No laws have been broken

Dr. Em wrote: »
    For general guidance, the terms 'restricted movements' and 'self-isolation' have been abandoned on gov.ie in favour of 'quarantine period' and 'home quarantine.' https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#post-arrival-quarantine-requirements-for-all-passengers-arriving-in-ireland
    The guidance around home quarantine doesn't allow for visits to the shop or exercise.

Quote/
    You may only leave your place of residence during the quarantine period for unavoidable reasons of an emergency nature to protect a person’s health or welfare, to leave the State or to obtain a post-arrival COVID-19 test./ Unquote

The earlier guidance on restricting movements (last updated on 12 March) allows for exercise, but not going to the shops (see the how-to-restrict-your-movements section).
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html#restrict

It would be useful if the most recent information was provided in full in one place.

my health or welfare would suffer if I had no food in the house :D

And, more seriously, my partners health and welfare would suffer if she did not run every day (diagnosed many years with clinical anxiety)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

my health or welfare would suffer if I had no food in the house :D

And, more seriously, my partners health and welfare would suffer if she did not run every day (diagnosed many years with clinical anxiety)

Food can be ordered online or over the phone so your argument is weak but your partner does have a medical excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

can the gardai or any government official stop some one leaving for the UK.
    everyone in this country has UK cousins.
    i alone have close family in london, liverpool and glasgow.
    can the person leaving not say i have a sick relative i am going to visit as they need help.
    how can something like that be proven by the individual or disproven by the gardai/border agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The gardai have no power to stop you, they just fine you.

You are free to go if you are willing to pay the toll...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

The gardai have no power to stop you, they just fine you.

You are free to go if you are willing to pay the toll...

but if challenged in the courts - how can the fine be held up?
    especially if you have any family at all in the country you visited.

Got tested in Punchestown today and strangely they don't even ask for ID...

All other tests I had it was required.

Now I doubt someone would sent his mate to be tested instead of him, but found it strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

but if challenged in the courts - how can the fine be held up?
    especially if you have any family at all in the country you visited.

Is the law written so that having family somewhere makes a trip more acceptable?

If not I imagine the fine would hold up pretty well..

I am sure some of the fines have been challenged already, didn't see any articles on people having successful challenges to them though..

Advertisement