Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

The gardai have no power to stop you, they just fine you.

You are free to go if you are willing to pay the toll...

but if challenged in the courts - how can the fine be held up?
    especially if you have any family at all in the country you visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Got tested in Punchestown today and strangely they don't even ask for ID...

All other tests I had it was required.

Now I doubt someone would sent his mate to be tested instead of him, but found it strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

but if challenged in the courts - how can the fine be held up?
    especially if you have any family at all in the country you visited.

Is the law written so that having family somewhere makes a trip more acceptable?

If not I imagine the fine would hold up pretty well..

I am sure some of the fines have been challenged already, didn't see any articles on people having successful challenges to them though..

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Is the law written so that having family somewhere makes a trip more acceptable?

I am sure some of the fines have been challenged already, didn't see any articles on people having successful challenges to them though..

the below is a valid reason -
    to care for a family member or for other vital family reasons

surely this gives people carte blanche to go to any country they want as long as they have family members residing in that country.
    also i suspect there are very little fines being issued for the above reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I want to see my cousin isnt a valid reason. they imprisoned people in MHQ who were travelling to be with a dying parent. You cant just travel somewhere and say you've family there - not even if they are dying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

It was revealed today that 80% of all the Delta cases in Ireland are in Dublin

Now some of that is down to population, but it would take some serious mental gymnastics to say that the airport in the capital isn't a huge factor in this

Trusting anyone to home quarantine is nonsense 15 months into this

We have been given a 6-8 week heads up on another potential wave of this and are doing pretty much fcuk all with it except "let's wait and see"

If all the adult population were fully vaccinated it would be a different story. But it's not

I will never understand the logic of this "government". We have time to stop Delta possibly exploding here and the UK are still not on the MHQ list

It's just a possibility, but why even take the risk?

The mind just boggles at Martin & Co. What a time to have one of the most spineless "governments" in history

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Now some of that is down to population, but it would take some serious mental gymnastics to say that the airport in the capital isn't a huge factor in this

We have been given a 6-8 week heads up on another potential wave of this and are doing pretty much fcuk all with it except "let's wait and see"

If all the adult population were fully vaccinated it would be a different story. But it's not

I will never understand the logic of this "government". We have time to stop Delta possibly exploding here and the UK are still not on the MHQ list

The mind just boggles at Martin & Co. What a time to have one of the most spineless "governments" in history

So fly into Dublin and pay 2k to go to hotel prison for a fortnight or fly into belfast no test, no fine, no quarantine, no prison sentence?

The day they announced the 10 day quarantine Stena line announced a Belfast holyhead route. You dont think airlines in belfast would just increase capacity upon announcing the republic want to imprison uk arrivals in mhq?

How many uk travellers would choose Dublin instead of belfast do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I'm not seeing your logic here.
    People who don't live in Dublin still use Dublin airport (it's practically the only one still functioning in the country) then travel on home.
    Do you think the cases re identified in the airport before they go to wherever they live?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I want to see my cousin isnt a valid reason. they imprisoned people in MHQ who were travelling to be with a dying parent. You cant just travel somewhere and say you've family there - not even if they are dying.

Of course you can.

But you have to go into quarantine when you return.

Several flights going out and in at Dublin Airport and people travel for various reasons.

Some can be proved, some require a bit of digging to make a decision.

4 lads going to UK to have a blast or watch a match is different from single traveller attending a dying family member in his home country.

Garda makes the decision based on what they see.

Saying that I wasn't asked any questions when I had to travel recently.

I had a valid reason, anyway.

I'm not seeing your logic here.
    People who don't live in Dublin still use Dublin airport (it's practically the only one still functioning in the country) then travel on home.
    Do you think the cases re identified in the airport before they go to wherever they live?

I'm talking about the lack of MHQ for UK visitors

• Advertisement

I'm talking about the lack of MHQ for UK visitors

What's that got to do with 80% of Delta cases being in Dublin? I'm not following.

What's that got to do with 80% of Delta cases being in Dublin? I'm not following.

It's the main port for UK visitors. And the UK have had to delay their re-opening by a month because of Delta

I just think we're being too laid back about this, but time will tell

It's the main port for UK visitors. And the UK have had to delay their re-opening by a month because of Delta

Still not getting you. Of course most arrive in Dublin, but the county of the case is not defined by where they arrive. It's where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

60,000 people a day cross the uncontrolled land border between the UK and Ireland. You may have heard of it, Northern Ireland?

Thats about 60 times more than the number of people currently landing in Dublin airport from the UK, every day, for reference.

If you want to keep the Delta variant out of Ireland you'd have to fully close that border. Which isn't possible. So no regulation of any kind at Dublin airport is going to keep it out, its rapidly going to become the dominant variant here now anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The delta variant is having very little impact on hospitalisations in the U.K.

Why?

Because risk groups are vaccinated

The pandemic is over, it ended the day back months ago when the HSE emailed all staff to say they were withdrawing the exceptional childcare support arrangements for staff.

The delta variant is in countries with strict MHQ.

MHQ doesn’t stop transmission or importation.

Closing borders doesn’t stop importation.

Now cheer up, book a holiday and enjoy some European sunshine on a beach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Blut2 wrote: »
    60,000 people a day cross the uncontrolled land border between the UK and Ireland. You may have heard of it, Northern Ireland?

Thats about 60 times more than the number of people currently landing in Dublin airport from the UK, every day, for reference.

If you want to keep the Delta variant out of Ireland you'd have to fully close that border. Which isn't possible. So no regulation of any kind at Dublin airport is going to keep it out, its rapidly going to become the dominant variant here now anyway.

Even then the variant is here... Which would mean back into full lockdown to kill it off as well as close all borders.

Not been following the news to be fair, but unless it is having a real impact on hospital cases in the UK or deaths in vaccinated population (lets not forget the efficacy rate of the vaccine when we discuss this figure) why is this one such a worry I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The intention is to slow it down though. And to get as many double jabbed as before Delta ibecomes dominant.

So far it's worked. Nepht stated in their press conference that the public health measures they have taken are the very reason we have kept the numbers low so far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So everyone who arrives into Dublin airport must have decided not to travel anywhere else in the country? Otherwise you would need serious mental gymnastic to blame the airport for this concentration.

Busaras is also in Dublin. Maybe that’s the reason for the large concentration of Delta variant in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

At Connolly Station yesterday loads of people got off the Enterprise from Belfast but not a peep about this. It's all the airports fault despite the North having restriction free travel with GB. The Delta varient is here and is getting in through via untested people from the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

IngazZagni wrote: »
    At Connolly Station yesterday loads of people got off the Enterprise from Belfast but not a peep about this. It's all the airports fault despite the North having restriction free travel with GB. The Delta varient is here and is getting in through via untested people from the North.

...as well as the multitude of people I know who have gone up to Belfast on pub crawls because their indoor food/drink is open and ours isn't.

Edit: Does it matter? Thats an open question. The more vaccination we can get done before Delta becomes dominant here will determine that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I was on a flight ams to dub about 6 weeks ago it had a variant of concern outbreak on the plane or someone later confirmed I assume picked up in quarrantine so its difficult to stop unless doing the unthinkable which not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

A much more better measure would be too enhance the home quaratining surveillance but they dont want to do that for some reason.
    Because the gardai themselves have said they have no ability to police the home quarantining. If they were checking once a day on the people quarantining for 5 days, they'd need to be carrying out close to 20,000 checks a day. And we only have 14,000 gardai total in the country, who have a few other tasks to do with their time.

But even if that logistical issue was somehow solved - they call to your door and you don't answer. Then what? They can't legally enter the house, you could well be asleep or in the shower or in the back garden (or just claim to have been). Theres no way of proving you weren't home, and it can't be demanded you're able to answer the door 24/7.

And yet about the only concrete measure that the government actually promised to implement in the 50 pages of waffle that was their second Covid "plan" was an increase in Garda checks on home quarantine.

No doubt their excuse for failing to achieve that will be that they didn't know how many Gardai we have. In a similar vein to Leo's claim that the first "plan" failed because they didn't know Covid could have more virulent variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

By all accounts the ferries into Belfast and Larne are rammed day in day out with (Southern) Irish registered cars. It's why Stena have switched their Holyhead to Dublin route to Belfast at weekends (although they haven't admitted it publicly), people want to visit the Republic, people in the Republic want to travel freely to and from the UK but the only handy way in at the moment is through the North. A few hours detour through NI is an easy alternative to all the hassle at the sea port and airport in Dublin.

You can agree or disagree with people doing that all you want - I'm not advocating it or condemning it - but it's happening. So every additional check and restriction you put in place in Dublin just results in more people coming in across the border. There's nothing that can be done about it, absolutely no prospect of an all Ireland approach.

So you'd be best to just sit it out and hope for the best, the Delta variant will account for the vast majority of cases in Ireland within a few weeks. The real question is whether the government are up to the task of getting the vaccination program to enough people in time, if they fail it will be on them and nobody else. But at the same time there's no point criticising them for not keeping the variant out, they have no real control over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

By all accounts the ferries into Belfast and Larne are rammed day in day out with (Southern) Irish registered cars. It's why Stena have switched their Holyhead to Dublin route to Belfast at weekends (although they haven't admitted it publicly), people want to visit the Republic, people in the Republic want to travel freely to and from the UK but the only handy way in at the moment is through the North. A few hours detour through NI is an easy alternative to all the hassle at the sea port and airport in Dublin.

You can agree or disagree with that all you want - I'm not advocating it or condemning it - but it's happening. So every additional check and restriction you out in place in Dublin just results in more people coming in across the border. There's nothing that can be done about it, absolutely no prospect of an all Ireland approach.

So you'd be best to just sit it out and hope for the best, the Delta variant will account for the vast majority of cases in Ireland within a few weeks. The real question is whether the government are up to the task of getting the vaccination program to enough people in time, if they fail it will be on them and nobody else.

There is a well tour bus and mini bus operator doing runs to and from Dublin city centre to Belfast airport several times a day full of holiday makers. There is no stopping this variant getting in and the funny thing is it doesn't matter as its more or less harmless to the unvaccintated cohort.

Video going around of a couple just walking out of MHQ

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1407454659908976641

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Video going around of a couple just walking out of MHQ

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1407454659908976641

Is it though? Video cut off at the point at which they're stopped it seems. Gardai presence at or close to all quarantine hotels.

You can agree or disagree with people doing that all you want - I'm not advocating it or condemning it - but it's happening. So every additional check and restriction you put in place in Dublin just results in more people coming in across the border. There's nothing that can be done about it, absolutely no prospect of an all Ireland approach.

So you'd be best to just sit it out and hope for the best, the Delta variant will account for the vast majority of cases in Ireland within a few weeks. The real question is whether the government are up to the task of getting the vaccination program to enough people in time, if they fail it will be on them and nobody else. But at the same time there's no point criticising them for not keeping the variant out, they have no real control over that.

Happening undoubtedly. It is also a criminal offence (punishable by a fine of up to €2,500 and/or six months in prison plus enforced quarantine at your cost) if you travel to the Republic from a third country via Northern Ireland without being fully vaccinated or having a PCR test within 72hours of arrival. Publicised on the Irish govt foreign Affairs website, the UK Foreign Office and all good international governmental websites. Is it worth the risk?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Is it though? Video cut off at the point at which they're stopped it seems. Gardai presence at or close to all quarantine hotels.

There are follow ups
    https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1407455033088675843

On the hotel grounds still. Detained undoubtedly, and deservedly so for such selfish behaviour.

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    . Is it worth the risk?

What risk? There is no enforcement

Advertisement