Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

What risk? There is no enforcement

Checkpoints and checks on hotels and other accommodation. A fine, imprisonment and a paid period in quarantine would ruin most holidays though a mini-bar would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

What risk? There is no enforcement

And how would the guards prove such a thing if they even did stop cars on the road? All the driver has to do is advise that he's simply travelling from NI where he has been for the necessary time period and he'll be sent on his way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

That was cringe worthily hilarious. "They're trying to keep us here under our own free will. You can't keep us here under our own free will" :D:D:D

Did they not see the irony of wearing their masks throughout the whole ordeal? :D

And as for that clown who met them in the car park, with his made up rules about being an Irish national. :D

I hope they're all prosecuted to the full extent of the law along with the clown who picked them up in the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

He seems like a lovely lad the names he's calling the security guards who are doing their job.

Simple solution to his quarantine is he can stay in whatever country he was in instead of coming to Ireland where we are trying to protect our citizens from people like him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Checkpoints and checks on hotels and other accommodation. A fine, imprisonment and a paid period in quarantine would ruin most holidays though a mini-bar would help.

Checks on what hotels? Hotels in the South? Handy if you want to catch British people coming here through the North, and that might well dissuade them from travelling through Belfast. But I'm guessing that's not the problem. It won't dissuade Southern Irish from travelling through the North to holiday in the UK. Nor will it dissuade Irish people living the UK from coming home to stay with family - no checks there.

Apart from the fact that direct travel between the UK and Ireland through the North isn't the issue either. The issue is mainland British travelling to the North, and Nordies travelling to the UK. They pick up the Delta variant, bring it back to their home town, and a secondary infection comes south of the border and spreads it here.

Unless we are willing to shut the border with the North, it will definitely spread exponentially here. It's lip service to shut down travel between Dublin and the UK, and honestly is just a diversion. The real issue here is making sure vaccines happen and happen as fast as possible. That is where all focus should be now - not MHQ or stopping flights or getting the gardai to check vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

i friend went to wales today on ferry from dublin.
    ferry full with cars.
    no checks of any type here or in uk. roll on and off.

i assumed what we hear about all these checks at ports and airports through the media is nothing but state propaganda.
    now we have proof

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Video going around of a couple just walking out of MHQ

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1407454659908976641

They traveled from Turkey apparently. MHQ has been in place for almost 3 months now. So well telegraphed to everyone.
    The airline and the immigration officials in Dublin airport have their personal details. He even mentions his room number in his own video.
    They paid 2500 (no info on whether it was in advance or upon arrival) and got themselves checked in, then decided to abscond but not before threatening to sue if they didn't get a refund. (being aggressive and borderline racist to the hotel staff while doing it)

Anti lockdown mob on Telegram are praising this as a struggle against oppression. (lots of racist rhetoric accompanying the praise)
    All I see is an idiot who has just broadcast evidence against himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I do not really understand what's going on but there seems to be alot of mixed messages.
    We are told we need to get a PCR test before we arrive. Then asked to quarantine for 14 days.
    There is a free test available.

Does anyone know why this is needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

What's yer man referring to when he says the Gardaí aren't Irish Gardaí anymore but are working for the Crown?

Is it just verbal diarrhoea or referencing some specific conspiracy (probably not an either/or there).

I do not really understand what's going on but there seems to be alot of mixed messages.
    We are told we need to get a PCR test before we arrive. Then asked to quarantine for 14 days.
    There is a free test available.

Does anyone know why this is needed...
    Yup. Negative PCR result required to fly in, this is checked at immigration. The advise is to continue with self-isolation/home quarantine for 14 days as a precaution. But another negative test on day 5 can negate this requirement.
    The reason is that HSE/NPHET are terrified of another debacle like we had at Xmas. They are being more cautious now while seeming to ignore the fact that we now have widespread vaccinations.

Hong Kong for example have been doing similar for a year now(test on arrival as you enter MHQ and another test on day 10)
    Iceland tests all arrivals and 12 hours later they get the result and are free to travel around. So arrivals need to book a hotel for the night until they get their result.

What's yer man referring to when he says the Gardaí aren't Irish Gardaí anymore but are working for the Crown?

Is it just verbal diarrhoea or referencing some specific conspiracy (probably not an either/or there).
    General anti-5G/mask/covid/lockdown/Big phara/Government conspiracy theory.

Because Drew Harris is ex-PSNI it means that the gardai are now run by Mi5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Looks like a lot of people have been absconding and very few have been returning to the hotels.

75 people have left their hotels (12 in the past week) and only 24 returned.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40323524.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Tenger wrote: »
    Yup. Negative PCR result required to fly in, this is checked at immigration. The advise is to continue with self-isolation/home quarantine for 14 days as a precaution. But another negative test on day 5 can negate this requirement.
    The reason is that HSE/NPHET are terrified of another debacle like we had at Xmas. They are being more cautious now while seeming to ignore the fact that we now have widespread vaccinations.

gov.ie are saying isolate for 14 days and the HSE are asking the same person to attend for the second vaccine after being advised that the person has had a negative PCR..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

i friend went to wales today on ferry from dublin.
    ferry full with cars.
    no checks of any type here or in uk. roll on and off.

i assumed what we hear about all these checks at ports and airports through the media is nothing but state propaganda.
    now we have proof

Essential travel is still allowed and the Brits have kept the CTA in place so your friend shouldn't be questioned until his return to Ireland

Essential travel is still allowed and the Brits have kept the CTA in place so your friend shouldn't be questioned until his return to Ireland

No,he should have been questioned leaving ie at the start of his journey
    Thats the position at the airports

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Flights from the certain destinations have been regular and near full to full for months now. Most of whom don't care less about covid and social distancing in the airport. (Ask anyone working there). I can only assume for political reasons this hasn't been highlighted in the media or by the government. Some now with questionable covid tests.

Also, sun worshippers are flying for non essential reasons to Canaries and Portugal etc and one can only assume they take quarantine equally as serious on return. Fines and PCR tests are not deterrent for some.

The cases are were they are and have been because of travel to and from this country along with the usual twats ignoring guidelines locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

py2006 wrote: »
    Flights from the certain destinations have been regular and near full to full for months now. Most of whom don't care less about covid and social distancing in the airport. (Ask anyone working there). I can only assume for political reasons this hasn't been highlighted in the media or by the government. Some now with questionable covid tests.

Also, sun worshippers are flying for non essential reasons to Canaries and Portugal etc and one can only assume they take quarantine equally as serious on return. Fines and PCR tests are not deterrent for some.

The cases are were they are and have been because of travel to and from this country along with the usual twats ignoring guidelines locally.

There is a very safe guidelines, just get under the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

Is there any view as to whether fully vaccinated Irish nationals living in the UK will be allowed home to visit family without full quarantine anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Is there any view as to whether fully vaccinated Irish nationals living in the UK will be allowed home to visit family without full quarantine anytime soon?

Tell them to fly to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Flights from the certain destinations have been regular and near full to full for months now.

:confused:
    Ah give us a clue??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I wouldn't expect it to be permitted any time soon. Probably looking at autumn given the state of the Irish vaccination program. Doesn't seem to stop hotels, holiday homes, golf courses and other amenities being full of UK visitors at present though. It's almost as though there's a way to get around the rules somehow. Rightly or wrongly it seems there will be lots of UK tourists in Ireland this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm curious as for what you want the media or government to say about it?

All currently need a negative test PCR test before arriving here so I actually don't think quarentine should be required at all but anyway it should be gone on 19th July so you won't need to worry about people not following that rule from then.

Travel isn't where the majority of our cases are coming from and it's not the only place where social distancing isn't being maintained at all times. Sure there's house parties going on up and down the country every weekend.

The PCR's just indicated that you didn't have the disease at the time of the test, in the meanwhile you are travelling to an airport and boarding a packed plane. So it could be caught and spread that way, hence quarantine.

If you looked at the arrivals section of the airport website over the passed year you would notice flights daily from Romania, Poland, Moldova and Bulgaria etc. A lot of whom were regular 3/4s full at a time when social distancing was more encouraged last year. For some reason these flights were permitted while most others were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I can't understand how to satisfy the pcr requirement. The test itself can take 72 hours to get results from a drugstore in the US here. The requirement is that the test must be within 72 hours of arrival in Ireland and must be submitted pre-boarding. It is therefore theoretically impossible to satisfy the criteria? I must be missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I can't understand how to satisfy the pcr requirement. The test itself can take 72 hours to get results from a drugstore in the US here. The requirement is that the test must be within 72 hours of arrival in Ireland and must be submitted pre-boarding. It is therefore theoretically impossible to satisfy the criteria? I must be missing something?

In most countries you can book a PCR test, walk-in, and have your result 8-24 hours later. 24 hours is the assumed/easy to find standard that countries work off when setting the 72 hour limit.

You need to find a walk-in testing center near you, not a postal test.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It's up to you to satisfy the requirements.

It can be easily done, just book a test with establishment that provides test with 24hours results. Some are even shorter. I know of PCR test results being provided in 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-claims-2000-penalty-over-travelling-to-portugal-breaches-rights-1.4606108

"An EU citizen living and working here is seeking to challenge Covid-19 public health regulations under which a €2,000 fixed penalty notice was issued to him after he travelled to Portugal to help renew his family’s permission to remain there.

Imran Ali, who has Portugese citizenship, claims the regulations breach Irish and EU law in being insufficiently clear to enable him foresee the consequences of his travelling to an airport to leave the State to assist his wife and two sons to extend their immigration permission to remain there."

He is dead right - you are allowed to leave the state to fulfill a legal obligation. It's not straightforwardly obvious that this he acted without a lawful purpose.

The PCR's just indicated that you didn't have the disease at the time of the test, in the meanwhile you are travelling to an airport and boarding a packed plane. So it could be caught and spread that way, hence quarantine.

If you looked at the arrivals section of the airport website over the passed year you would notice flights daily from Romania, Poland, Moldova and Bulgaria etc. A lot of whom were regular 3/4s full at a time when social distancing was more encouraged last year. For some reason these flights were permitted while most others were not.
    Where are you getting the information of load factors on all these flights? There are daily flights from the UK and US, as well. Those 2 nations werehotbeds of Covid-19.
    Those flights weren't "permitted", the airline decided to operate them to earn revenue rather than running empty flights to the Algarve or Malaga.

As for airports. I agree regarding PCR being an indication of your status a, day or two before flying.
    But all airlines have strict mask wearing policies.
    All airports have strict restrictions in place. (EG only staff or ticketed passenger can enter Dublin Airport)
    A320 and B737 are equipped with HEPA filtration system which don't operate laterally.

I would be more worried about the people in Tesco who don't understand personal space and hand sanitizer.

But I'm strongly of the opinion that testing on arrival should have been happening for a year now.

Tenger wrote: »
    Where are you getting the information of load factors on all these flights? There are daily flights from the UK and US, as well. Those 2 nations werehotbeds of Covid-19.
    Those flights weren't "permitted", the airline decided to operate them to earn revenue rather than running empty flights to the Algarve or Malaga.

As for airports. I agree regarding PCR being an indication of your status a, day or two before flying.
    But all airlines have strict mask wearing policies.
    All airports have strict restrictions in place. (EG only staff or ticketed passenger can enter Dublin Airport)
    A320 and B737 are equipped with HEPA filtration system which don't operate laterally.

I would be more worried about the people in Tesco who don't understand personal space and hand sanitizer. The UK/US were virtually empty for most of last year and beginning of this year. Quite the opposite now.

But I'm strongly of the opinion that testing on arrival should have been happening for a year now.

The missus and aunt work in the airport. Social distancing while queuing is non existent.

The UK/US flights were next to empty last year and most of this year. Fairly full nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Last year people were allowed travel, just encouraged not to. This year people can travel for an essential reason but I'm sure some are travelling for non essential reasons. From the countries you've listed I'd assume its more visiting family rather than holidays and I personally wouldn't begrudge someone that but I know opinions can vary on that.

The truth is its near impossible social distance in the airport, there would be ques all over the place. On the plane its impossible social distance but as Tenger said there's great air flow. At least travellers have a recent PCR test. Shops like Penny's to be packed and the Luas can be packed at times too and none of these people have a recent negative test. In fact they could even have tested positive recently and ignored isolating and you wouldn't know.

I just think there's too much focus on travel as if that's our issue here but it's not. If you compared Dublin Airport to any other large European airport and its absolutely dead in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We can thank the travel variants for the delays in reopening.

Advertisement