Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

Your anecdotes say more than real evidence ever could.

Merely answering another poster whos anecdotal experience said there were not many Americans in Dublin
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

They're quite correct and it's great to hear that some of them are traveling to Ireland to spend their tourist-dollars in our economy.

Ah you're consistently daft as a brush and should be an official Irish greeter for any US Covid Tourists arriving!

Make Ireland Cough Again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

People flying from hotspots must get a test within 72 hours of their flights and show a cert at the airport. That is what other countries do.

People are also idiots if they believe that we can save the travel industry and all it’s related industries by holidaying at home. Covid is not going away. We will forever have spikes. It just takes one person. We need to move on with our lives.

Texas has a population over 9 times ours. Their death rate is just double ours. Their spike is one person in every 45,000 per day. The chances of them being on the plane is minuscule.

I keep saying it but I have no doubt if we started testing asymptomatic teens in Ireland we would have a huge spike.

Is it me or is Leo still the only member of government actually saying anything? Where is Michael?

I hear that NPHET are meeting today to discuss travel. Given that more forcible quarantine is obviously a complete non-runner, but public pressure demands something be done, what odds on Americans being banned from entry (Irish residents aside)? Pretty good now, I would guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

wellwhynot wrote: »
    People flying from hotspots must get a test within 72 hours of their flights and show a cert at the airport. That is what other countries do.

People are also idiots if they believe that we can save the travel industry and all it’s related industries by holidaying at home. Covid is not going away. We will forever have spikes. It just takes one person. We need to move on with our lives.

Texas has a population over 9 times ours. Their death rate is just double ours. Their spike is one person in every 45,000 per day. The chances of them being on the plane is minuscule.

I keep saying it but I have no doubt if we started testing asymptomatic teens in Ireland we would have a huge spike.

Just a correction. Google says Texas' population is 29 million.
    Ireland's is 4.9 million. So 6. Not over 9 I think.

Not sure where you got figues from, but also from Google - Texas has 3,313 deaths (114/million) vs 1,746 (356/million) so our death rate is 3 times theirs but of course that reflects history rather than current spread/progress of the outbreak.

Last figure for new cases (13/7) was 5,655 which would be 1 new case a day per ~ 5,000 people (not 45,000).

I do have some doubts about figures coming out of the US (similar to China or other authoritarian countries where such things might be directly manipulated, which is a shocking thing to say:confused::(). It is a highly political/sensitive issue now and their president has effectively directed that he wants tests reduced, deaths minimised etc and his party agree. As far as I understand the system as an outsider who never lived there, alot of their public servants are political appointees, and so perhaps there will now be efforts at a local level to implement this by reducing testing and leaving Covid-19 off causes of death where possible. It could be a long time before the dust settles on all this and we get clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

bubblypop wrote: »
    On Sunday a busload, approx 35/40 all headed into Arnotts for a shopping trip

Thanks. I need to go in there but will wait a few weeks so the cleaning can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is it me or is Leo still the only member of government actually saying anything? Where is Michael?

I hear that NPHET are meeting today to discuss travel. Given that more forcible quarantine is obviously a complete non-runner, but public pressure demands something be done, what odds on Americans being banned from entry (Irish residents aside)? Pretty good now, I would guess

Not that Varadkar is Alex Ferguson or anything but I get the hint of David Moyes off Micheal Martin. Yurning for the big job for years but he's just sitting in somebody else's office wondering what he's supposed to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I see Ryan air are stamping their feet and having a tantrum

I’m glad to see their bullying tactics are not working

Memo guys - public health is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than your stupid airline

Be no harm to see Ryan air gone altogether. No loss. Good riddance to micky o Leary as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

To quote Mallow News:

Eamonn Ryan has denied that American Tourists are entering the country. "All I see are proud Irishmen and women returning home, like Hank here and his wife Darla. And their children, Trailer and Type 2 Diabetes. Proud patriots all."

Our border with UK is an obvious obstacle and even if there was political will, I'm not sure it'd stand up in court.

We're reliant on the USA for a great number of our jobs and have close diplomatic relations and anything to potentially jeopardise that is a total non-starter.

So much for the luck of the Irish. Our two closest allies have two halfwits in charge and have dealt with the virus as bad as any nation on the planet. We're between the proverbial rock and hard place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, the Greeks are set to allow flights from the UK and Sweden tomorrow. And on the 22nd.

They are also set to welcome flights from America, however inbound passengers must submit a negative PCR test for Covid up to 72 hours before arriving in Greece.....

However I am sure Ireland won't have such rules...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Why would Apple leave Ireland? Because we stop US tourists coming on holiday for a few weeks? Seriously?

Are the US packing up all their companies all over Europe? No they are not.

As if American companies are going to leave because a small number of tourists can't come. They are multinationals not a wing of the US government and likely don't even know or care if tourists can come in.

Exactly. I’m sure they probably think it’s also bonkers that we allows the US to fly in here. I’d imagine they want this virus contained within the EU as much as possible as for us to get back to some semblance of normality- it’s better for business. The virus being flown into Europe from the US and a return to lockdown is a disaster for business

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

I see Ryan air are stamping their feet and having a tantrum

I’m glad to see their bullying tactics are not working

Memo guys - public health is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than your stupid airline

Be no harm to see Ryan air gone altogether. No loss. Good riddance to micky o Leary as well

Classy post! think of all the jobs losses and all the destinations that won’t be accessible across Europe in the future, Hope your happy paying through the roof for flights when you want to to away ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The Charleville Hotel has a post on Facebook saying they are not allowing Americans in as guests for the safety of his other guests, staff and their families.
    Loads of comments as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

What's the point of the proposed testing of a random sample from highly infected countries?
    However, he said, for countries not on the 'green list' or 'A list', the Government is "examining the possibility of bringing in random testing or testing in some cases as other countries have done because we know that mandatory quarantine is not possible in Ireland".
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0714/1153102-coronavirus-ireland/

All random testing is good for is knowing roughly the proportion of people who have the disease flying into the country but it won't tell us which ones have it outside of those in the sample itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

The Charleville Hotel has a post on Facebook saying they are not allowing Americans in as guests for the safety of his other guests, staff and their families.

I understand ''no Irish, no blacks, no dogs'' now. It is amazing to see what people have become because of their hysteria. :D

Fair play to them if they have and hopefully more get on board with it. They’ll definitely get some my my money in the future.

gral6 wrote: »
    I understand ''no Irish, no blacks, no dogs'' now. It is amazing to see what people have become because of their hysteria. :D

Yeah, because the racism and bigotry that Irish and black people faced is exactly like this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

There will always be a gombeen who will let them in though, probably hug them when they walk in the door.
    I still think we should not be allowing flights from the US and I am amazed that others in Europe, who have been far worse affected than us, haven't lead the way better.

• Advertisement

There will always be a gombeen who will let them in though, probably hug them when they walk in the door.

Absolutely, if the sycophants in this thread are anything to go by

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's funny how they can look at Australia and tell us that mandatory quarantine doesn't work. But they can't look at their neighbour in New Zealand and work on a similar plan to eradicate this.

I always thought they wanted to go down herd immunity route and I still think the same if they're happy to bring over Americans and no procedures for in place for quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

It's funny how they can look at Australia and tell us that mandatory quarantine doesn't work. But they can't look at their neighbour in New Zealand and work on a similar plan to eradicate this.

I always thought they wanted to go down herd immunity route and I still think the same if they're happy to bring over Americans and no procedures for in place for quarantine.

What plan? Lock up ourselves in the cells? :D What a stupid comparison with NZ again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

gral6 wrote: »

Yeah, its bizzare.

Lets hope those terrible American's dont pull the plug on the insane levels of investment into the facilities in Ireland, which employ thousands, and send us back to 1950.

No Americans allowed. Fear is a disgusting disease that is contagious and much more dangerous than Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Absolutely, if the sycophants in this thread are anything to go by

The same level of ignorance existed about aids.

Didnt lady Diana shake hands with an AIDS patient and people were shocked.

Imagine if Covid effected those under 70 in any significant numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I can just see it now, The Oval Office has got news that Hank wasn't allowed into a bar in Killarney, in spite of being "100% Irish" in his own words....cue an executive order that Intel, Google, Facebook, all the pharma pull out of Ireland as a result..........

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

I'm American and studying medicine here, and I'm honestly scared everytime I order coffee that people will think I'm a tourist. I've been here for years but can't shake my accent (and likely never will!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Yeah, its bizzare.

Lets hope those terrible American's dont pull the plug on the insane levels of investment into the facilities in Ireland, which employ thousands, and send us back to 1950.

No Americans allowed. Fear is a disgusting disease that is contagious and much more dangerous than Covid

The suggestion isn't that Americans shouldn't fly because we dislike them. That's a pretty immature way of viewing this. We're saying that Americans shouldn't fly to Ireland or other countries in Europe because it wouldn't be good for the health and well being of society with this virus.

May I add that travel for Irish citizens into the US is also restricted at the moment. America are entitled to make that decision and the decision to restrict travel in unprecedented circumstances. Ireland should be entitled too.

When this crisis is over, God willing we can travel in the same way again, but for now it needs to be the way it is. I'm also not going back to Ireland for this summer, possibly not even this winter because travelling isn't the right thing to do right now from a conscience perspective. Others can make up their own minds, but high risk countries should be banned from travelling. I'm pretty convinced of that. It wouldn't take much to have the virus spiral again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'm American and studying medicine here, and I'm honestly scared everytime I order coffee that people will think I'm a tourist. I've been here for years but can't shake my accent (and likely never will!)

You'll be grand lad. Stay there and stay happy.

Better than being here in the States with Karen and Bob complaining about HAVING to wear a mask to go to Walmart..;)

Honestly, compared to Irish people, some Americans are F***ing NUTS!

• Advertisement

Yeah, its bizzare.

Rest assured that the gombeen Americans coming over here right now are not the executives making international investment decisions

Advertisement