Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

Please you know if you are white and American you are privileged here. There is no xenophobia. As a doctor you should know these Travellers are putting us at great risk...you should be very angry about that.

I am getting annoyed with Americans getting upset because we are defending our country. You should be just as angry if you live here because you are just as much at risk. We are defending YOU too.

In fact if it were any other country there would be a ban. There NEEDS to be a ban. Your country has banned us from entering i remind you. You don't hear Irish people in the states complaining they are being victimized or in the UK.

And if it were a ban it would be certain all the Americans are living here.

People are dying of covid here still.

And if you are as angry as I with these people. I don't actually want you here.

I am angry. I don't wish to be lumped in with ignorant and selfish tourists, and that is why I am saying not all of us Americans are travelling. Most radio show hosts have pointed this fact out time and again, but what surprises me is how few businesses have bothered to distinguish between American tourists and Americans who live here. Perhaps it is because we are a minority? The reality is that while I'm a broke student, the American expats here can contribute to the economic recovery. It seems silly to alienate them with bad PR.

Charleville Lodge Hotel has banned Americans. It so happens a friend lives in Dublin and I need accomodation next week. It seems I can't go to the Charleville Lodge Hotel or I'll be hassled, because on their facebook page, it says 'NO AMERICANS ARE ALLOWED' in all caps.

JP McMahon had a bit more nuance. He said his staff were uncomfortable because they didn't know how to distinguish American tourists who quarantined vs those who hadn't, which at least acknowledges that Americans are not all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭threeball

If businesses are saying "you are American, and you can't eat here", that is xenophobic crap to be fair. Businesses have no place discriminating people, and people should take legal action if this is the response from them.

The government needs to stop inward travel from the US. That is where energy should be focussed.

They're not saying that though, are they. These people are openly admitting to not following quarantine rules. Its like a badge of honour to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The insurance industry getting to the nub of the contradictory matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The insurance industry getting to the nub of the contradictory matter.
    Sort of, if you mean the RTE piece. There's a whole waiting on the government lark about it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Perhaps it is because we are a minority?

[QUOTE=repulsebay321;11407163 'NO AMERICANS ARE ALLOWED' in all caps.

.[/QUOTE]

I am embarrassed for you.

I really don't want to talk to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

threeball wrote: »
    They're not saying that though, are they. These people are openly admitting to not following quarantine rules. Its like a badge of honour to them
    It is not the role for shops / restaurants to act as vigilantes. That is against the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It is not the role for shops to act as vigilantes. That is against the law.

Will you listen to yourself?

A vigilante is someone who punishes law breakers usually violently.

These places of business have the right to refuse entry.

Can you imagine if the Chinese had acted the way the American poster was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,998 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Will you listen to yourself?

A vigilante is someone who punishes law breakers usually violently.

These places of business have the right to refuse entry.

Can you imagine if the Chinese had acted the way the American poster was?

Bull****

vigilante noun
    Save Word
    To save this word, you'll need to log in.
    vig·​i·​lan·​te | \ ˌvi-jə-ˈlan-tē \
    Definition of vigilante
    : a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as inadequate)
    broadly : a self-appointed doer of justice

NO AMERICANS ALLOWED

IRISH NEED NOT APPLY

Not seeing the difference here. Both are bigoted discrimination.

Repulsebay id still go to that hotel and ignore their FB page. If you get hassle, tell them to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

If businesses are saying "you are American, and you can't eat here", that is xenophobic crap to be fair. Businesses have no place discriminating people, and people should take legal action if this is the response from them.

The government needs to stop inward travel from the US. That is where energy should be focussed.

Ah sure why would they do that when they can tell people to wear masks going to buy a loaf of bread instead?

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »

There’s a lot of that going on stateside.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Ah sure why would they do that when they can tell people to wear masks going to buy a loaf of bread instead?

Masks in shops should be mandatory also. Legally. They will be in the UK on Monday.

Masks in shops should be mandatory also. Legally. They will be in the UK on Monday.

There is almost zero risk in shops. Shops were open throughout the pandemic, numbers of new cases dropped to a miniscule level even with shops open and almost nobody wearing masks. Why are some people trying to fabricate lies that Tesco is suddenly going to become a virus hotspot at midnight on Sunday?

There is almost zero risk in shops. Shops were open throughout the pandemic, numbers of new cases dropped to a miniscule level even with shops open and almost nobody wearing masks. Why are some people trying to fabricate lies that Tesco is suddenly going to become a virus hotspot at midnight on Sunday?

So there could be one plague carrier out there

“Ah in that case no masks” etc etc etc until what, it’s already allowed to grow exponentially?

Just man up and wear the mask for a few more weeks until it is actually a matter of zero cases. Then your island is Covid free and no more masks.

The use of masks in shops , in Europe anyway, is based on increasing foot traffic and the assumption that people will not keep their distance, so it's better to have some form of protection, however imperfect. There is little evidence that they are anything above low risk.

The virus spreads in indoor conditions. In fact it thrives indoors due to limited air circulation. The evidence is that masks restrict viral spread to other people. It is hard to social distance in supermarkets also.

In any case, the law is enforced by the authorities, not by shop or restaurant owners acting as vigilantes.

The virus spreads in indoor conditions. In fact it thrives indoors due to limited air circulation. The evidence is that masks restrict viral spread to other people. It is hard to social distance in supermarkets also.

In any case, the law is enforced by the authorities, not by shop or restaurant owners acting as vigilantes.
    Pretty easy in any of the supermarkets I've been to and people have made the effort to distance, plus they've been managing crowd numbers since March.

Overheal wrote: »
    So there could be one plague carrier out there

“Ah in that case no masks” etc etc etc until what, it’s already allowed to grow exponentially?

Just man up and wear the mask for a few more weeks until it is actually a matter of zero cases. Then your island is Covid free and no more masks.

You're ignoring the fact that case numbers dropped to a miniscule level, with shops open, without masks.

We will never be virus free unless there is a vaccine, and that may never arrive. If there was no cases in Ireland today, someone could arrive on a flight tomorrow carrying the virus. Social distancing worked, but that message is now being lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• The government wont.
    • The government are spineless
    • Mehole doesn't to upset his future White House lunch invite

So the Irish people are taking it into their own hands and using a violence free method: they are letting Americans know they aren't welcome

It's not Xenophobic. It's being allergic to a nation who've made a complete and utter balls of this. A nation who have banned us from entering their country. And a country who - at last check - weren't allowed into about 180 of the countries affected with Covid

And yet here's our little island meant to welcome them with a Cead Mile Failte

Nope.

If Mehole & Co aren't going to grow a pair (and they won't) then we've no other choice but to ban them from our businesses and give them a harsh cold shoulder if they're among us as tourists

If people think Yanks are following quarantine rules here then they need a check up from the neck up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Why are people so angry? We need tourism. American exceptionalism in a chart.......
    What could possibly go wrong.

520352.jpg

• Advertisement

You're ignoring the fact that case numbers dropped to a miniscule level, with shops open, without masks.

We will never be virus free unless there is a vaccine, and that may never arrive. If there was no cases in Ireland today, someone could arrive on a flight tomorrow carrying the virus. Social distancing worked, but that message is now being lost.

The R number in Ireland from what I've heard is approaching 2. That's not a good position to be in. Yes people have sacrificed, but the virus needs to be kept at bay in the long term. Otherwise, the hospitals will be full again in the coming months in the winter.

If masks are effective, and the experts agree that they are then they should be mandatory.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    • The government wont.
    • The government are spineless
    • Mehole doesn't to upset his future White House lunch invite

So the Irish people are taking it into their own hands and using a violence free method: they are letting Americans know they aren't welcome

It's not Xenophobic. It's being allergic to a nation who've made a complete and utter balls of this. A nation who have banned us from entering their country. And a country who - at last check - weren't allowed into about 180 of the countries affected with Covid

And yet here's our little island meant to welcome them with a Cead Mile Failte

Nope.

If Mehole & Co aren't going to grow a pair (and they won't) then we've no other choice but to ban them from our businesses and give them a harsh cold shoulder if they're among us as tourists

If people think Yanks are following quarantine rules here then they need a check up from the neck up

Businesses are not above the law, and there is no way of determining if someone is resident or has arrived. More importantly it is not the job of businesses to act as vigilantes. Customers who are discriminated against can sue the businesses that discriminate against them.

The government needs to act or nothing will happen. Agreed.

The R number in Ireland from what I've heard is approaching 2. That's not a good position to be in. Yes people have sacrificed, but the virus needs to be kept at bay in the long term. Otherwise, the hospitals will be full again in the coming months in the winter.

If masks are effective, and the experts agree that they are then they should be mandatory.

Businesses are not above the law, and there is no way of determining if someone is resident or has arrived. More importantly it is not the job of businesses to act as vigilantes. Customers who are discriminated against can sue the businesses that discriminate against them.

The government needs to act or nothing will happen. Agreed.

Management usually reserves the right to refuse custom. Siting public health concerns and the health and safety of staff are ironclad reasons for this.
    They have a responsibility to their staff and to their customers. You don't get unlimited freedom to ignore national guidelines because you are on holidays. They do not get invited to the White House for dinner.

So I'd stop the discrimination fake outrage horse ****. It's ironic that it is citizens of the most racially divisive country on the planet who are up in arms about being discriminated against. If a person has been here longer than two weeks and can prove that then there should be no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Here’s a message to America

You banned us.

We are telling you clearly stay well away until you sort out the r rate in your country.

Management usually reserves the right to refuse custom. Siting public health concerns and the health and safety of staff are ironclad reasons for this.
    They have a responsibility to their staff and to their customers. You don't get unlimited freedom to ignore national guidelines because you are on holidays. They do not get invited to the White House for dinner.

So I'd stop the discrimination fake outrage horse ****. It's ironic that it is citizens of the most racially divisive country on the planet who are up in arms about being discriminated against. If a person has been here longer than two weeks and can prove that then there should be no issue.
    It typically involves people they don't like the look of. They can do it here too if they choose but then that person can tell up to 7 other people about the experience.

Nonsense.

The right doesn't include discriminating against people because of their nationality based on ignorant attitudes. The customer would certainly win in court.

I support banning flights, but this kind of vigilante nonsense isn't on.

Businesses are not above the law, and there is no way of determining if someone is resident or has arrived.

On your first point: Management have the right to refuse any customer based on the safety on their other customers. This is what will be stated in court. And what tourists are going to go to court over this anyway?

On your second point: ask the residential Americans to show a utility bill to gain entrance

This isn't rocket science

Nonsense.

The right doesn't include discriminating against people because of their nationality based on ignorant attitudes. The customer would certainly win in court.

Some flights include our own people coming home. A better solution is to talk possible tourists out of it at the other end, for now. The airlines, DFA, State Dept and tour agencies can all do that and stress the 14 days requirement here.

Nonsense.

It should be based on whether you observe quarantine.

The simple fact is that if you are coming from the US at the moment, the probability of you having the virus is higher than any other country in the world.

That’s just maths. Nothing to do with rights. What are you talking about court. It isn’t in the public interest to prosecute a business owner for following health and safety guidelines and ensuring his staff and customers are safe. The government has but the onus on them. They’d hardly give out them for enforcing their rule?

:confused:

Do you actually know what a vigilante is and does?

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    On your first point: Management have the right to refuse any customer based on the safety on their other customers. This is what will be stated in court. And what tourists are going to go to court over this anyway?

On your second point: ask the residential Americans to show a utility bill to gain entrance

This isn't rocket science
    That's actually an equality discrimination case right there. Don't restaurants take mobile numbers for possible tracing anyway?

Advertisement