Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

American chiming back in here...

I have already asked my Irish boyfriend to do the talking for me in restaurants after reading all this BS on the internet.
    Except it's not really BS though is it, America does have a much bigger problem with covid and we are importing cases from there and other places.

Obviously there's going to be prejudice given the context, it's a public health issue. Frankly it perplexes me that a healthcare worker wouldn't understand that.

I sympathise but I'd urge you to be a bit more forgiving. Direct your blame at the Americans holidaying here rather than the Irish who are powerless and worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

is_that_so wrote: »
    Some flights include our own people coming home. A better solution is to talk possible tourists out of it at the other end, for now. The airlines, DFA, State Dept and tour agencies can all do that and stress the 14 days requirement here.

They should ban flights absolutely from the US, and say stay away. Irish nationals should be told to leave immediately.

This idea of businesses being able to discriminate on nationality without proof thought is nonsense. They would be absolutely thrashed in court by the customer. Discrimination laws don't just disappear in a pandemic.

The simple point is that the government should be taking this responsibility and banning on entry so we don't end up with stupid arguments about businesses banning Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

That's actually an equality discrimination case right there. Don't restaurants take mobile numbers for possible tracing anyway?

As already said well by Weepsie
    A restaurant and pub has a right to refuse of they believe or are concerned there could be damage done to property or the safety or their staff.

They could try and sue, and they'd be rightly told to f*CK right off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Repulsebay few questions

Do you realise how badly your country is dealing with c19

You seem to have issues with Irish people actually you know, stepping up to defend our own situation here.

It’s not any sense of vindictiveness.

It’s based on how badly your country is doing.

Maybe this Country is not for you and you should migrate back to America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭threeball

Overheal wrote: »
    There’s a lot of that going on stateside.

No reason we should put up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

s1ippy wrote: »
    Except it's not really BS though is it, America does have a much bigger problem with covid and we are importing cases from there and other places.

Obviously there's going to be prejudice given the context, it's a public health issue. Frankly it perplexes me that a healthcare worker wouldn't understand that.

I sympathise but I'd urge you to be a bit more forgiving. Direct your blame at the Americans holidaying here rather than the Irish who are powerless and worried.
    How about not directing any blame at all? It's the kind of hysteria mode that has the potential to cause unpleasant incidents.

They should ban flights absolutely from the US, and say stay away. Irish nationals should be told to leave immediately.

This idea of businesses being able to discriminate on nationality without proof thought is nonsense. They would be absolutely thrashed in court by the customer. Discrimination laws don't just disappear in a pandemic.

The simple point is that the government should be taking this responsibility and banning on entry so we don't end up with stupid arguments about businesses banning Americans.

These businesses are protecting their customers and staff because the government are failing to. Every business has the right to refuse service.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    As already said well by Weepsie
    If you imagine an expletive-laced post is evidence of quality you might want to reflect on your standards. If you intentionally prevent entry because of race that is a case under the Equality Act.

How about not directing any blame at all? It's the kind of hysteria mode that has the potential to cause unpleasant incidents.

Yes just wait till you and all your staff have to quarantine because you are infected by some asshole who doesn't even believe it exists. Then close. Thats a genius idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That's actually an equality discrimination case right there. Don't restaurants take mobile numbers for possible tracing anyway?

There are 9 grounds that you are not allowed to discriminate on. Being American isn't one I can't see a case in law being upheld.

• Advertisement

If you imagine an expletive-laced post is evidence of quality you might want to reflect on your standards. If you intentionally prevent entry because of race that is a case under the Equality Act.

Americans are not a race in case you didn't notice.

threeball wrote: »
    These businesses are protecting their customers and staff because the government are failing to. Every business has the right to refuse service.

Not based on nationality. That is discriminatory.

Again, the right place for this to be dealt with is with the government and the authorities, not with vigilante crap like this.

You are well-named my son! Fine dogma. A bit of whipping too just to tie it all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,998 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Weepsie wrote: »
    A restaurant and pub has a right to refuse of they believe or are concerned there could be damage done to property or the safety or their staff.

They could try and sue, and they'd be rightly told to f*CK right off

They'd have no Reasonable Basis for believing a resident non-national is any more a risk than a citizen. She'd win in court.

Americans are not a race in case you didn't notice.
    A one line retort is not an argument. Discuss, better!

saabsaab wrote: »
    There are 9 grounds that you are not allowed to discriminate on. Being American isn't one I can't see a case in law being upheld.
    Race/nationality is.

Repulsebay few questions

Do you realise how badly your country is dealing with c19

You seem to have issues with Irish people actually you know, stepping up to defend our own situation here.

It’s not any sense of vindictiveness.

It’s based on how badly your country is doing.

Maybe this Country is not for you and you should migrate back to America?

This is pure bigotry. The sniped at user is an American who has lived resident in Ireland well before the pandemic broke, and this in relation to a hotel posting on their Facebook "NO AMERICANS ALLOWED" without any alleged exclusions for people who have quarantined, lived in Ireland, etc.

How the US is bungling the rise in cases has no bearing on how much of a risk someone is who has been staying in Ireland just because they have the wrong accent and passport.

No reason we should put up with it.

I never suggested otherwise? :confused: Of course quarantine and hygeine rules should be adhered to

Not based on nationality. That is discriminatory.

Again, the right place for this to be dealt with is with the government and the authorities, not with vigilante crap like this.

They are basing it on quarantine, not nationality. Brazilians or South africans would be treated the same. Its common sense not discrimination.

Yes just wait till you and all your staff have to quarantine because you are infected by some asshole who doesn't even believe it exists. Then close. Thats a genius idea.
    There are a whole lot of circumstance that need to fall into place for that logic, firstly that an American was even infected and that you were not infected by a local or your own staff.

• Advertisement

The right to refuse service is not absolute. Try refusing service to all white men and see how you get on with yourself.

saabsaab wrote: »

List the 9 please then

They are basing it on quarantine, not nationality. Brazilians or South africans would be treated the same. Its common sense not discrimination.

You somehow seem to be missing the point.

The restaurant aren't immigration officers. They can't check if someone is living in Ireland and resident, or not living in Ireland and a tourist.

The authorities should be doing this. Not businesses, and businesses would get absolutely thrashed in court if they overstepped their bounds in this way, because it is discrimination based on nationality.

It's not hard to understand.

Race/nationality is.

Again you try to make these two things interchangeable. They are not. They are completely different.

BTW this is your post after criticising me for a one line retort. You have very differing standards for yourself obviously. Try to ease up on the hypocrisy, it undermines your argument.

List the 9 please then

Nvm helped myself:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2000/act/8/enacted/en/html

(2) As between any two persons, the discriminatory grounds (and the descriptions of those grounds for the purposes of this Act) are:

( h) that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (the “ground of race”),

So let's just all fcuk right off with this retarded 'America is not a race so discriminating against them is okay' guttershyte.

She'd have that hotel dead to rights in a court of law, even just for posting that "NO AMERICANS ALLOWED" notice to facebook.

The restaurant aren't immigration officers. They can't check if someone is living in Ireland and resident, or not living in Ireland and a tourist.

The authorities should be doing this. Not businesses, and businesses would get absolutely thrashed in court if they overstepped their bounds in this way, because it is discrimination based on nationality.

Businesses have a duty of care to staff and customers that trumps any discrimation clap trap. You cannot knowingly endanger your staff. Your discrimation bs would be thrown out on its ear, especially in this environment.

Businesses have a duty of care to staff and customers that trumps any discrimation clap trap. You cannot knowingly endanger your staff. Your discrimation bs would be thrown out on its ear, especially in this environment.

Negative. It wouldn't be thrown out on its ear because race cannot be discriminated against, and the American in this example is not a tourist but a resident. There's no reasonable grounds to infer a safety risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I would maybe consult the lord's book for some advice on how to navigate these tricky times.
    Leviticus 14:8

Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Quarantine
    The one to be cleansed shall then wash his clothes and shave off all his hair and bathe in water and be clean.
    Now afterward, he may enter the camp, but he shall stay outside his tent for seven days.

Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Quarantine

Nvm helped myself:

(2) As between any two persons, the discriminatory grounds (and the descriptions of those grounds for the purposes of this Act) are:

( h) that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (the “ground of race”),

So let's just all fcuk right off with this retarded 'America is not a race so discriminating against them is okay' guttershyte.
    She'd have that hotel dead to rights in a court of law, even just for posting that "NO AMERICANS ALLOWED" notice to facebook.

Changing bolded section for emphasis.

I'm nearly at the point where I would happily contribute if someone crowdfunded for this.

It isn't BS, it is the law.

I agree with you that flights from the US should be banned.

I don't agree that businesses should be discriminating based on nationality. They aren't immigration authorities.

Campaign to the government to stop flights landing rather than insisting that businesses have the right to discriminate when they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Nvm helped myself:

America is the problem, not Americans. A New Zealander living in America should not be allowed in but an American who has been living in NZ should

Advertisement