Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anyone that travels here for a holiday from a covid hotspot is to isolate for 2 weeks. If a premises decided to question this and being told that they haven't not let them in then they are quite right and not discriminating on any of the 9 grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

saabsaab wrote: »
    Anyone that travels here for a holiday from a covid hotspot is to isolate for 2 weeks. If a premises decided to question this and being told that they haven't not let them in then they are quite right and not discriminating on any of the 9 grounds.

Premises do not have the authority to enforce this by definition. Restaurants and bars aren't immigration officials.

This is why it is essential that the law changes to stop flights from high risk countries or to have fines for breaking quarantine like in the UK. Then if someone has clear evidence that someone has been violating quarantines then the police can get involved.

Note - not restaurant owners without evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Overheal wrote: »
    Nvm helped myself:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2000/act/8/enacted/en/html

(2) As between any two persons, the discriminatory grounds (and the descriptions of those grounds for the purposes of this Act) are:

( h) that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (the “ground of race”),

So let's just all fcuk right off with this retarded 'America is not a race so discriminating against them is okay' guttershyte.

She'd have that hotel dead to rights in a court of law, even just for posting that "NO AMERICANS ALLOWED" notice to facebook.

I agree people should not be discriminated based on nationalitiy.
    They should also fvcking quarantine during a pandemic especially due to fact it's rampant.

Businesses have a right to ensure their customers are not a danger to their business and staff. It's reasonable to ask a holiday maker"when did you arrive", "have you observed quarantine"
    The business owner is acting in the interests of their business, their staff, their community and no judge would go against this reasonable request.

If people weren't so litigious and pulled together in the same direction every now and again maybe the US would be in a **** state.

Everyday there is a different video of some gosh!te threatening to sue a business because they are required to wear a mask.

The notion of reciprocity should be applied. We can't travel there so why can they travel here. This is about national security and you should know countries tend to take that rather seriously. Some don't observe international law in order to protect that.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭threeball

Changing bolded section for emphasis.

I'm nearly at the point where I would happily contribute if someone crowdfunded for this.

It isn't BS, it is the law.

I agree with you that flights from the US should be banned.

I don't agree that businesses should be discriminating based on nationality. They aren't immigration authorities.

Campaign to the government to stop flights landing rather than insisting that businesses have the right to discriminate when they don't.

The government know. Just look at the poll on this thread. Irish people are overwhelmingly against tourists from high infection countries coming here yet they aren't doing a thing about it bar telling them to quarantine. They should be based to a hotel and made stay there. People have the right to protect their business and staff.

If someone lands at your door from a country in crisis looking to be served and admits to not bothering to quarantine would you be happy to deal with them. Maybe the judge wouldn't let them sit on his lap while he sentences you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,986 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tvc15 wrote: »
    America is the problem, not Americans. A New Zealander living in America should not be allowed in but an American who has been living in NZ should

That's not the dilemma being illustrated (but I get you) it was this resident American who feels discriminated against and at least one hotel who has a blanket ban on Americans regardless of residency or status:
    American chiming back in here.

Look, I'm cool with restaurants (ie private establishments) restricting access in the name of health. As it happens, I am also a medical student, so I understand fully that a virus transmits indiscriminately, and that this move isn't just disguised xenophobia. But when the restaurants claim they are not letting Americans in, they need to also state that Americans who live in Ireland are allowed. They need to be even more welcoming to local resident Americans like myself, otherwise I will feel like a pariah in their establishment for simply having an out-of-vogue accent. No businessperson would want a local to feel unwelcome. After they state that locals of all nationalities are welcome, they can suggest a way we can prove it discreetly.

There are certainly flaws with my suggestion here but a blanket ban on what boils down to a person having a certain accent is appalling.

I have already asked my Irish boyfriend to do the talking for me in restaurants after reading all this BS on the internet.
    I am angry. I don't wish to be lumped in with ignorant and selfish tourists, and that is why I am saying not all of us Americans are travelling. Most radio show hosts have pointed this fact out time and again, but what surprises me is how few businesses have bothered to distinguish between American tourists and Americans who live here. Perhaps it is because we are a minority? The reality is that while I'm a broke student, the American expats here can contribute to the economic recovery. It seems silly to alienate them with bad PR.

Charleville Lodge Hotel has banned Americans. It so happens a friend lives in Dublin and I need accomodation next week. It seems I can't go to the Charleville Lodge Hotel or I'll be hassled, because on their facebook page, it says 'NO AMERICANS ARE ALLOWED' in all caps.

JP McMahon had a bit more nuance. He said his staff were uncomfortable because they didn't know how to distinguish American tourists who quarantined vs those who hadn't, which at least acknowledges that Americans are not all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

threeball wrote: »
    The government know. Just look at the poll on this thread. Irish people are overwhelmingly against tourists from high infection countries coming here yet they aren't doing a thing about it bar telling them to quarantine. They should be based to a hotel and made stay there. People have the right to protect their business and staff.

If someone lands at your door from a country in crisis looking to be served and admits to not bothering to quarantine would you be happy to deal with them. Maybe the judge wouldn't let them sit on his lap while he sentences you.

The problems are the following from what I can tell:
    • There are no fines for quarantining, or any mechanism to ensure that quarantines have been kept to.
    • There are no travel bans from high risk countries.
    The government should legislate for this, and should enforce it properly.

It shouldn't be a matter for businesses to take into their own hand however.

Weepsie wrote: »
    They just don't have to say it's because it's they're non national.

As it's been established, they can't tell who is and who isn't resident. They could just say they are uncertain if a person had to quarantine.

Our judges are not great here with some things, but they have common sense and anyone who takes a case will in my view be told to p!ss off and stop wasting the courts time

People get refused entry all the time.

That ship came and went:

"Charleville Lodge Hotel has banned Americans. It so happens a friend lives in Dublin and I need accomodation next week. It seems I can't go to the Charleville Lodge Hotel or I'll be hassled, because on their facebook page, it says 'NO AMERICANS ARE ALLOWED' in all caps."

Businesses have a right to ensure their customers are not a danger to their business and staff. It's reasonable to ask a holiday maker"when did you arrive", "have you observed quarantine"
    The business owner is acting in the interests of their business, their staff, their community and no judge would go against this reasonable request.

And I've no problem with that either. I go to my chiropractor and my temperature is scanned and I'm asked questions about my health the same way if I packed my own bag at the airport. The rub was a hotel posting "NO AMERICANS ALLOWED" on their social media, which demonstrates none of the critical thinking skills you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

And I've no problem with that either. I go to my chiropractor and my temperature is scanned and I'm asked questions about my health the same way if I packed my own bag at the airport. The rub was a hotel posting "NO AMERICANS ALLOWED" on their social media, which demonstrates none of the critical thinking skills you're talking about.

I think we agree so. Sounds like that is someone taking advantage of the situation to practice their xenophobia which is not right.

One thing I would say is that a business has to take it on good faith that the person is not lying. Any customer looking for service has an incentive to lie so some probably would. I think it’s awkward but some form of proof should be requested and provided.

I believe this situation warrants such scrutiny.

That was an idiotic thing to do from both a point of leaving themselves exposed legally and also something that can be thrown back at them when we do eventually get back to normal.

However, businesses have to protect themselves and their customers. No American or otherwise will pursue a successful case against this in the current environment. Far more likely they get raked over the coals for ignoring the rules imposed by the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

Repulsebay few questions

Do you realise how badly your country is dealing with c19

You seem to have issues with Irish people actually you know, stepping up to defend our own situation here.

It’s not any sense of vindictiveness.

It’s based on how badly your country is doing.

Maybe this Country is not for you and you should migrate back to America?

As I said earlier, I agree with restaurants/hotels restricting access for health reasons. What I do not agree with is businesses going on facebook writing "AMERICAN GUESTS BANNED FROM STAYING IN OUR PREMISES" in all caps. Well I'm American so am I banned? Despite being a resident here? It's that ambiguity that makes me think it is vindictive.

Your argument in another context is highly disturbing to me:
    Do you, a Muslim who wears a hijab, realise how many terrorists your country of origin is producing? The most in the world! You should not be angry that you are being profiled, despite having the legal right to reside in my country and actively working against terrorism.

I will not migrate back to America because it's actually a fluke I was born in America to non-American parents, and I have no family there. But I don't see how that's relevant. The fact is I was raised there and sound American, therefore I will be profiled as American.

That was an idiotic thing to do from both a point of leaving themselves exposed legally and also something that can be thrown back at them when we do eventually get back to normal.

However, businesses have to protect themselves and their customers. No American or otherwise will pursue a successful case against this in the current environment. Far more likely they get raked over the coals for ignoring the rules imposed by the state.

That's a fairly dumb remark. What state imposed rule would the American be ignoring by booking a room at this hotel that is open for business, and they not in violation of any quarantine measure on international travelers?

I will not migrate back to America because it's actually a fluke I was born in America to non-American parents, and I have no family there. But I don't see how that's relevant. The fact is I was raised there and sound American, therefore I will be profiled as American.

Welcome to the club all the same. Do you have dual citizenship yet?

That's a fairly dumb remark. What state imposed rule would the American be ignoring by booking a room at this hotel that is open for business, and they not in violation of any quarantine measure on international travelers?

I'm not referring to this hotel, I'm referring to pubs and restaurants that have turned away americans who have admitted to not quarantining as they are required to.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

Welcome to the club all the same. Do you have dual citizenship yet?

Thanks. I'm a dual American and British citizen. But if I were to walk into the Charleville Lodge Hotel tomorrow, I'd present only as an American to watch Paul Stenson (the General Manager) try to kick me out. :pac::pac::pac :

Thanks. I'm a dual American and British citizen. But if I were to walk into the Charleville Lodge Hotel tomorrow, I'd present only as an American to watch Paul Stenson (the General Manager) try to kick me out. :pac::pac::pac :

Please do, the settlement would go a ways to funding your studies :)

I'm not referring to this hotel, I'm referring to pubs and restaurants that have turned away americans who have admitted to not quarantining as they are required to.

That, I don't see a problem with, that's a reasonable standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Superb post on Reddit Ireland today. It was upvoted to the first page and awarded 3 times by Reddit Premium users

I need to vent and I don't know where else to say this. I work in the hospitality trade and so am only back to work recently, over the last few nights we have seen an increase in foreign phone numbers used to book tables, predominantly UK and US numbers.

Tonight I nearly lost it, a table of four from the UK came in, they loudly proclaimed that they were on holidays and that they hadn't isolated for two weeks because who had time for that? Over the course of the evening they consistently tried to get members of staff to recommend places to drink where they wouldn't have to get food, stating that "in Dublin no one cared" and that "we all needed to relax".

What the actual fúck is wrong with this country where I spent over two months in my house without seeing my girlfriend or my grandparents and yet within two weeks of reopening we are already getting inundated with tourists from countries with ridiculous infection rates.

Seriously what the fúck is wrong with this government that they happily let Ryanair fly plane loads of tourists in every day. Over two months spent locked in the house, my mental health went to ****, my relationships with those closest to me were severely strained and it looks like all for nothing.
    The infection rate is going up again, people can't stop having house parties and now we are letting just about anyone pop over for a holiday.

Fúck that shít.

Honestly lads we are a fúcking island nation can we not cut the crap, close the borders, ride out the storm for the next few weeks and then go for a pint with our mates when we have got rid of domestic cases. Don't know what the government was thinking with this shít.

And finally if you are reading this from abroad and considering visiting Ireland for a holiday in the next few weeks, please kindly go fúck yourself and stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

More excellent posts on Reddit Ireland
    the Spanish government won't let you on a plane to Spain until you personally register your trip and get a unique Qcode which can be used to track you around the country. Would be real easy to copy this and demand scans for entry to premises.

And
    I don't understand why there is not some sort of system in place to report tourists who haven't isolated for two weeks? Like, fine the ever loving fcuk out of them, threaten to blacklist them from the country, I don;t know and I'm not qualified to come up with the actual punishments with international relations in mind but we're in the process of trying to crawl our way out of a pandemic

There must SURELY be fair steps we can take to cut this shít out and be punitive with people who blatantly disregard guidelines put in place to keep everyone safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Superb post on Reddit Ireland today. It was upvoted to the first page and awarded 3 times by Reddit Premium users

Yep, the message from the government is pretty much a big F you to all Irish residents, while welcoming Americans (and the virus) with open arms.

Who in the absolute hell voted for this government. Who. Why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Please stop being a stereotypical American and go home to your own country. You are only a guest here. Please remember this. And behave accordingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

As I said earlier, I agree with restaurants/hotels restricting access for health reasons. What I do not agree with is businesses going on facebook writing "AMERICAN GUESTS BANNED FROM STAYING IN OUR PREMISES" in all caps. Well I'm American so am I banned? Despite being a resident here? It's that ambiguity that makes me think it is vindictive.

Your argument in another context is highly disturbing to me:
    Do you, a Muslim who wears a hijab, realise how many terrorists your country of origin is producing? The most in the world! You should not be angry that you are being profiled, despite having the legal right to reside in my country and actively working against terrorism.

Being Muslim didn't confer upon that person a higher likelihood of carrying a deadly virus.

If you can't see how these situations differ I have no sympathy and I'm absolutely fine with you being "profiled".

"Oh it's just like crossing the street you take a risk"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    More excellent posts on Reddit Ireland

And
    Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Just read on another thread about a jammed pub on InisMor, full of American's, Spanish and French. And we are wondering why cases are rising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Why do people on this thread conflate the UK with the USA. This shut the borders thing means nothing if is based on flawed logic.

Chart below shows the difference. There is no more reason to think someone from the UK is sick than anyone else. I'm fact taking the effort to actually travel probably means less chance they are such

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Just read on another thread about a jammed pub on InisMor, full of American's, Spanish and French. And we are wondering why cases are rising?

Ah but sure we'll make Mrs. Gilhooley in Kiltyclogher wear a face mask when she pops into the local shop to buy a pint of milk so it's grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Another Aer Lingus flight filled with those darn disease spreading ‘Mericans is landing in Dublin

https://twitter.com/michaellondra/status/1284594786062733315?s=21

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Proof or it didn’t happen

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Is there anything at all to back up this statement though? Not from you as such but the post in the other thread.

There are definitely a few tourist's knocking about, I have seen them here in Galway City over the past week. But I am literally talking about a handful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The_Brood wrote: »
    Yep, the message from the government is pretty much a big F you to all Irish residents, while welcoming Americans (and the virus) with open arms.

Who in the absolute hell voted for this government. Who. Why.

Where are all the medical media darling talking heads on this issue? Any peep out of them?

Advertisement