Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

saabsaab wrote: »
    Are you sure? I saw the following quote from the gov website..

'Imported cases only indicates locations where all cases have been acquired outside the location of reporting.'

It may be a bit of a leap as you said but we must remember that this arrived here at all due to travel. Probably involving several separate individuals.

Fair enough then on the definition.

But where do we go from here?

While I'm in favour of actually preventing flights from the absolute basket case countries like the US, what else are we to do?

Short of sealing the borders for what might be years, I don't see the way out other than constant reinforcement of the social distancing guidelines and hygiene etiquette.

I'm not for a second saying that economics should trump health but I don't think people realise just how deep a recession we are in and that there is great potential for it to be fairly prolonged

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Feria40 wrote: »
    Fair enough then on the definition.

But where do we go from here?

While I'm in favour of actually preventing flights from the absolute basket case countries like the US, what else are we to do?

Short of sealing the borders for what might be years, I don't see the way out other than constant reinforcement of the social distancing guidelines and hygiene etiquette.

I'm not for a second saying that economics should trump health but I don't think people realise just how deep a recession we are in and that there is great potential for it to be fairly prolonged

I agree with you. Just stop the hotspots anyway.

The next question is then how do we define a hotspot, apart from the very obvious places?

There are a number of European countries at the moment experiencing large flare ups in one region or other that make the national cases per thousand look poor.

I don't think it's realistic that so called green list countries should have the same or lower infection rates than ourselves. Such a low number is so variable week to week that the list would be constantly changing.

What's a reasonable rate per hundred thousand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think at the moment the #1 place where flights should NOT be landing from is the US. In Europe there is some control on the virus but the US is a complete mess.

Feria40 wrote: »
    That's a big leap to be fair. Give some specific numbers with specific time frame.

Also bear in mind that you could have a cluster of ten cases with the route cause being one individual who came from abroad. The track and trace system will count this as being all travel related if they can tie in a group of infections together

40% of cases are directly related to travel....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,107 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it be too much to ask for someone arriving home from a hotspot and working in a creche to at least follow guidelines?

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/childcare-worker-who-tested-positive-18638643

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,098 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Would it be too much to ask for someone arriving home from a hotspot and working in a creche to at least follow guidelines?

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/childcare-worker-who-tested-positive-18638643

I think a hefty fine should be applied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

40% of cases are directly related to travel....

The lesson still has to be learnt, it will be learnt there is no doubt about it but the question is in the next few months where it can maybe be brought under control again or November or December which will make a very bleak Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Indeed

This is all we're asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think at the moment the #1 place where flights should NOT be landing from is the US. In Europe there is some control on the virus but the US is a complete mess.

Definitely specially Texas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

You know the US is a massive country? New York has its lowest numbers in hospital since 18 March. It really seems like the virus has a run of about 40 days and then essentially dies off, with some small stings in the tail. The data shows this. New cases is pretty irrelevant, it's deaths and hospitalisations versus capacity which is important.

Also worth noting, the more younger people testing positive for covid, the lower the death rate becomes.

You know the US is a massive country? New York has its lowest numbers in hospital since 18 March. It really seems like the virus has a run of about 40 days and then essentially dies off, with some small stings in the tail. The data shows this. New cases is pretty irrelevant, it's deaths and hospitalisations versus capacity which is important.

Also worth noting, the more younger people testing positive for covid, the lower the death rate becomes.

So, somebody should be allowed to fly from Texas to New York and on to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Gonna take a while for that genius nugget of information to be beaten.

Not sure about dying off look at link below.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105

Countries that have taken adequate action early have brought it under control in about 40 days maybe.

Gonna take a while for that genius nugget of information to be beaten.

Get that man onto NPHET.......

• Registered Users Posts: 45 naraicjul

What actual controls are there at airports these days? Are the forms to be completed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

naraicjul wrote: »
    What actual controls are there at airports these days? Are the forms to be completed?
    Ha ha no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Countries that have taken adequate action early have brought it under control in about 40 days maybe.

The US chart is 'interesting', massively high case death rate at the start, and then a significantly lower one. Increased testing for sure. The more susceptible dying earlier. Previous pandemic charts showed death numbers rather than cases, shouldn't this be the ultimate measure?

naraicjul wrote: »

You cannot actually be for real? Some people really don't pay attention!!

I presume you are not talking about mask wearing etc. at the airport?

The controls are that you have to fill out a form at the airport advising your contact details and place(s) of residence over the following 14 days, assuming you are staying 14 days.

You are then advised to restrict your movements over those 14 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

World is adding 1 million cases in 3 days right now. Scary enough to take inbound traffic very seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

World is adding 1 million cases in 3 days right now. Scary enough to take inbound traffic very seriously.

Wonder what happens with 3rd level, the language schools etc (with many lucrative students from Brazil, Africa, ME etc and I'm sure the USA). Will they all be firing up for a new term in Sept?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would be reckless to just open up without putting in measures the problem is getting students to actually isolate. Plenty of private secondary schools also have significant overseas numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Deaths is the key stat. Remember, testing has increased massively since it first kicked off so they are catching more and more cases. So a second wave in cases is likely due to increased testing. But I don't see deaths going through a second wave.

Get me a teaching job or an irrelevant arts degree and you might see me leading the dept of health. Then would my observations on the data be credible? Love the keyboard warriors of boards sucking off the government narrative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Deaths is the key stat. Remember, testing has increased massively since it first kicked off so they are catching more and more cases. So a second wave in cases is likely due to increased testing. But I don't see deaths going through a second wave.

Get me a teaching job or an irrelevant arts degree and you might see me leading the dept of health. Then would my observations on the data be credible? Love the keyboard warriors of boards sucking off the government narrative.

Spain’s “second wave” which is limited to certain areas, is seeing an increase in cases but no increase in deaths. Things are very different now, tracing and testing are key to avoiding it getting out of control (along with local lockdowns where necessary)

I’m not as concerned about travel from high risk areas anymore, we’re just not seeing any material impact from it. And similarly in the EU, the feared influx of British holidaymakers was uneventful. None of Spain’s outbreaks are international travel related. None.

faceman wrote: »
    Spain’s “second wave” which is limited to certain areas, is seeing an increase in cases but no increase in deaths. Things are very different now, tracing and testing are key to avoiding it getting out of control (along with local lockdowns where necessary)

I’m not as concerned about travel from high risk areas anymore, we’re just not seeing any material impact from it. And similarly in the EU, the feared influx of British holidaymakers was uneventful. None of Spain’s outbreaks are international travel related. None.

Not the case here see link below. It could be argued that all cases are ultimately travel related.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/resurgence-in-new-travel-related-covid-19-cases-concerns-health-officials-1.4282671

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Superb post from TheLad95
    I'm following Greece's numbers daily as I am traveling there in two weeks.

For background, you have to fill out a Passenger information form, detailing some basic questions such as where you're coming from, what countries you've been in in the last month, and then some basic screening of Covid symptoms. Based on answers to these questions, you get sent a QR code that gets scanned at the airport and says whether you should be tested or not. Unsure how their algorithm works, I believe some countries such as the UK, Sweden and Spain automatically trigger a test whereas otherwise I imagine it's based on symptoms.

In any case, using the above system, they are getting 10-15 positives from screening and testing passengers at potential entry ports, many of whom I imagine are completely asymptomatic. I imagine a system like this will be the way forward for everyone long term. It's one of the reasons I chose Greece to travel to.

Our system is an utter joke shop and given that we have testing capacity going to waste every day, I don't know why this hasn't been re-directed to the airports months ago.

Greece's GDP - 218 billion USD (2018)

Ireland's GDP - 382 billion USD (2018)

It is absolutely crazy. Reading the Irish Times today about Irish students in big groups in Portugal is just going to make the problem even worse.
    Expecting people to self-isolate is a load of nonsense. Either we test them before they board a flight, or we don't let them in.

It is absolutely crazy. Reading the Irish Times today about Irish students in big groups in Portugal is just going to make the problem even worse.
    Expecting people to self-isolate is a load of nonsense. Either we test them before they board a flight, or we don't let them in.

Sweet f all to back up the story. No doubt there may be a handful of groups heading over and the author has gotten up to pontificate.

A complete non story if ever there was one.

I'm not one for tinfoil hats but what an article a day or two out from the next update on the green list.

If anyone has read/listened to the daily updates in the past week they would accept that travel is a non story.

The real story is parties here in addition to people is certain sectors having to work/live cheek by jowl... petfood factory anyone.

Please pleas please people think about what u are actually reading. Sure don't we know there are flights coming and going now everyday, it's really a massive deal that some contain a few students???????????

P.s. per the WHO today there may NEVER be a silver bullet. Got start to think long term here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not the case here see link below. It could be argued that all cases are ultimately travel related.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/resurgence-in-new-travel-related-covid-19-cases-concerns-health-officials-1.4282671

That story relates back to June. It didn’t result in any outbreaks.

But it’s not just ireland, it’s across Europe. Travel related outbreaks aren’t happening

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    That story relates back to June. It didn’t result in any outbreaks.

But it’s not just ireland, it’s across Europe. Travel related outbreaks aren’t happening

So how do you explain the fact that it has travelled globally if it isn't due to travel? Wind? Ocean currents?

Advertisement