Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Feria40 wrote: »
    True but I suspect anything other than a travel advisory, such as we have now would be difficult to legislate for

You mean if the Govt ban flights, they will have to pay refunds for people and they can't be doing that, State Cars, wage increases for our TDs all all priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There should’ve been a ban since mid March

If there was, bars and pubs across this country would be well reopened now rather than facing complete closure.

Absolute pathetic leadership from both Varadkar and Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

You mean if the Govt ban flights, they will have to pay refunds for people and they can't be doing that, State Cars, wage increases for our TDs all all priority

Well there is that :pac:

But also just legislating for essential versus non essential would be difficult. It would really need to be just an outright travel ban.

And that just won't happen IMO. Especially when one of the worst offenders is our near neighbour across the Irish sea

If there was, bars and pubs across this country would be well reopened now rather than facing complete closure.

Maybe but then the ban might need to be in place for a couple of years or more... I don't think it would be long before the hospitality industry (inc. pubs) would be lobbying hard against that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Well there is that :pac:

But also just legislating for essential versus non essential would be difficult. It would really need to be just an outright travel ban.

And that just won't happen IMO. Especially when one of the worst offenders is our near neighbour across the Irish sea

Well I went to Portugal Via Belfast and. The plane/airport full of "Freestaters" as they call us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Thankfully they will be ignored on this particular idea

Not thankful myself but agree it seems govt. will stick with their risky policy (unless we get burned severely at some point as this grinds onward and there is no "magic bullet" vaccine etc).

I hope it doesn't happen (am not a doom monger or someone delighting in bad news), but I'm a pessimist by nature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wow I never thought I would say this, but you have made a point I agree with; leadership from MM and LV is pathetic! ;)

But your other points are last week’s news. :p

Bars are open in countries that don’t have travel bans. Bars aren’t the source of virus spread in countries where social distancing and masks are enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

quokula wrote: »
    Holiday destinations are going to be at risk of foreign travellers bringing it in and need to act accordingly. Countries like Ireland are much more at risk of internal community transmission, in addition to our own citizens travelling around which should be discouraged as much as possible.

More at risk of community transmission than who? Small population, really low population density, wealthy country so resources won't be an issue that they would be in Africa/South America, seemingly pretty ample capacity to test at this point. A very large proportion of people with the app downloaded too, must rank very highly internationally.

So why are we more at risk? People travelling to spend a few days on the cliffs in Donegal wouldn't pose much of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Prepare to have some ****ing control on the border with Kildare now!
    It is ridiculous that people from Kildare can move freely around Ireland now!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Went to Powerscourt waterfall last Saturday - every second car was a hire car drove in and drove straight back out - place was RAMMED

• Advertisement

Rx713B wrote: »
    Went to Powerscourt waterfall last Saturday - every second car was a hire car drove in and drove straight back out - place was RAMMED

Do you think that only yourself can enjoy Powerscourt?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

gral6 wrote: »
    Do you think that only yourself can enjoy Powerscourt?

You completely negated my point - that the hire is car more likely to be someone from abroad.

Absolutely typical internet forum response from ya

You completely negated my point - that the hire is car more likely to be someone from abroad.

Absolutely typical internet forum response from ya

When I did not have a car I used to rent it for a day or two. If you are worried, lock yourself up in the house.

Yep every second car full to the brim with damn foreigners, I personally counted 9 lads in a Fiesta.

If every second car was a hire car, can you advise what portion of the remaining 50% had UK/NI plates? At least another 50% I bet.

Damn it to hell do you know what, I think you were the only Paddy that ventured to Powers court last Saturday.

Between that now and the hordes upon hordes of infected foreigners hanging around Kerry the country has really gone down the swanny.

Funnily enough I was down in Galway City last weekend and all I saw was hordes of LC students with Dublin accents carrying slabs of beer around Eyre Square. All the foreigners must have been over your way that day:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

UDAWINNER wrote: »

How are they only creating plans and proposals now?

Shower of incompetent fcukers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder how many of the meat plant staff have traveled abroad and returned or recently arrived here in the last month or two?

It’s aboslutely ludicrous and pathetic there are still no travel bans

Plenty (including me) called for travel bans months back

But no, varadkar and MM both dodged the issue

How are they only creating plans and proposals now?

Shower of incompetent fcukers

Absolutely.

Pathetic leadership

Good that the nonsense about stopping travel from UK / EU / EEA has been finally put to bed. I’m not sure that there are too many people who would be against banning incoming travel (other than EU residents) from the USA or Brazil etc at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

spikes associated with Dubs having the craic in Dublin, Dubs having the craic in Kildare, Dubs having the craic in Kerry.....

Its not the lads from abroad that are the issue.

where is there craic in kildare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

where is there craic in kildare ?

Where is the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Popular attraction is popular on a sunny weekend.
    Who knew?

Popular attraction is popular on a sunny weekend.
    Who knew?

If we were doing this right then hire cars and yellow reg cars would be turned away from all attractions and accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If we were doing this right then hire cars and yellow reg cars would be turned away from all attractions and accommodation.

Lol.
    Just go early, go somewhere else or stay at home.

Lol.
    Just go early, go somewhere else or stay at home.

I’m well capable of that but you’re completely missing the point. At this time in this situation all foreign visitors should be ran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

But what you say makes no sense, I have a yellow reg, I had tests prior to travelling home, so I know I didn’t have it. How certain are you that you don’t? How many tests have you had?

Travel bans are not the solution here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

New Zealand celebrates 100 days without a community transmission. They are not even wearing masks over there.
    First thing they did was close the border, and any citizen coming home had to spend 14 days in a govt-managed facility before being allowed to leave it.

If only we could learn those lessons......but no point if old Paddy thinks going to Belfast and flying wherever is a good idea.

But what you say makes no sense, I have a yellow reg, I had tests prior to travelling home, so I know I didn’t have it. How certain are you that you don’t? How many tests have you had?

Travel bans are not the solution here

Agreed, and anyway Ireland has a higher rate of COVID infection that most of Europe now, including the UK. So its the UK that should be barring us from entry, not the other way round!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

New Zealand celebrates 100 days without a community transmission. They are not even wearing masks over there.
    First thing they did was close the border, and any citizen coming home had to spend 14 days in a govt-managed facility before being allowed to leave it.
    If only we could learn those lessons......but no point if old Paddy thinks going to Belfast and flying wherever is a good idea.

Back when this all could have made Ireland a Zero Case nation, the Varadkar administration decided to allow flights in from Covid hotspots in N. Italy, thousands to mingle at horse races, and no co-ordination with the UK/NI Govt. no joined up policies, useless!

Apart from detaching the Republic of Ireland from N.I and toeing it out into the middle of the Atlantic until there's a cure for Covid then the genie is out of bottle and we just have to deal with it now.

Advertisement