Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Here's an article from The Guardian about how a group of teenagers came back from Greece with coronavirus and then went out in Plymouth afterwards. They were asymptomatic but now the contact tracing teams are having to work through where they were to limit further spread.

This is evidence that travel is a risk. This travel was also unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Here's an article from The Guardian about how a group of teenagers came back from Greece with coronavirus and then went out in Plymouth afterwards. They were asymptomatic but now the contact tracing teams are having to work through where they were to limit further spread.

This is more evidence.

I think everyone knows that travel is a risk. But they could have gone to London also and then back to Plymouth. The key objective is that we have strong safety standards everywhere. Travel is going to happen within the EU for a variety of reasons - it is about managing that risk. If a destination allows nightclubs to open, does not enforce masks in indoor places etc then it is a greater risk. Greece has now brought in new controls including a midnight curfew and is closing down establishments who transgress. The ideal scenario is that we move to common restrictions across Europe with red zone lock downs.

I think everyone knows that travel is a risk. But they could have gone to London also and then back to Plymouth. The key objective is that we have strong safety standards everywhere. Travel is going to happen within the EU for a variety of reasons - it is about managing that risk. If a destination allows nightclubs to open, does not enforce masks in indoor places etc then it is a greater risk. Greece has now brought in new controls including a midnight curfew and is closing down establishments who transgress. The ideal scenario is that we move to common restrictions across Europe with red zone lock downs.

Or just say travelling abroad for unnecessary reasons is off this year. The difference is that contact tracing would be significantly easier within the same country. Controlling the virus is much easier when you've got the full set of data showing where it is rather than worrying about importing it from other countries.

Or just say travelling abroad for unnecessary reasons is off this year. The difference is that contact tracing would be significantly easier within the same country. Controlling the virus is much easier when you've got the full set of data showing where it is rather than worrying about importing it from other countries.

And what will be different next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its evidence that nightclubs are a risk in fairness

There was outbreaks in Sardinia in clubs (and then the famous owner of one club who was in the media for the past fortnight blasting the government for closing them due to a harmess virus ends up in hospital with it), in Serbia clubs have been key in the spread of the virus, in Croatia local hotspots are linked with clubs being opened, in Spain they opened clubs and a leaving cert party eneded up with one of the country's largest clusters, smililary partying in Galicia for some festival or other, even Usain Bolt and Kildare teenagers ended up catching the virus from partying.

Travel in itsself isnt a massive issue. Acting irresponsibly home or abroad is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Anyone who thinks that Travel leads to difficulty with Track&Trace doesn't have a clue what they are talking about:

Moment-officials-hazmat-suits-board-Ryanair-plane-passenger-gets-track-trace-message

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that Travel leads to difficulty with Track&Trace doesn't have a clue what they are talking about:

Moment-officials-hazmat-suits-board-Ryanair-plane-passenger-gets-track-trace-message

Before departure sure. It isn't so clear when people are returning however. Hence the need for what they've done at Plymouth.

If holidaying at home for one year could help control the spread of the virus and help us to edge more closer to normality then why not do that?

If holidaying at home for one year could help control the spread of the virus and help us to edge more closer to normality then why not do that?

Holiday at home then is literally staying in your place of residence, it's the only sure fire way to control the spread of the Virus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Holiday at home then is literally staying in your place of residence, it's the only sure fire way to control the spread of the Virus...

There are plenty of people sending kids to school who haven't quarantined. This is going to accelerate any spread before it's detected and change the trend for the worse.

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1298601952172027905?s=20

There are plenty of people sending kids to school who haven't quarantined. This is going to accelerate any spread before it's detected and change the trend for the worse.

There are? Got the link for that statement?

• Advertisement

In your home country is better than holidaying abroad at the moment. I'm quite happy to holiday in the UK where I am this year even if it means not seeing family in Ireland this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

There are? Got the link for that statement?

Someone posted on the the school opening thread. It stands to reason given that two high profile politicians couldn’t quarantine properly that there are plenty of people who go on holiday last two weeks of august and who will send kids straight in. To believe otherwise is naive.

In your home country is better than holidaying abroad at the moment. I'm quite happy to holiday in the UK where I am this year even if it means not seeing family in Ireland this year.

No, any travel can spread the Virus where for example you bring Covid19 from a high infection area like Dublin to a low infection area like say North Donegal..

Staycation literally is holidaying in your home, get a BBQ and have a few beers, invite no more than 6 people from your social bubble to your home.

Someone posted on the the school opening thread. It stands to reason given that two high profile politicians couldn’t quarantine properly that there are plenty of people who go on holiday last two weeks of august and who will send kids straight in. To believe otherwise is naive.

Believe what you will but in the case of Covid infections to attribute them to a family who went on a holiday needs to be backed up by facts not what someone posts on an anonymous internet forum..

On your other point, in this day and age of social media and news spreading fast, how much do you think a holidaying family could hide their travels from others, not to mention... Kids talk! Someone will hear about it.. impossible to hide!

No, any travel can spread the Virus where for example you bring Covid19 from a high infection area like Dublin to a low infection area like say North Donegal..

Staycation literally is holidaying in your home, get a BBQ and have a few beers, invite no more than 6 people from your social bubble to your home.

I'm not particularly sure why you are making this point when I've replied to similar on this thread already.

Do you have anything else of note to add?

I'm not particularly sure why you are making this point when I've replied to similar on this thread already.
    Do you have anything else of note to add?

Nope, just the same point i've been making, travelling to any areas with high infection rates, e.g. Kildare at 159 cases /100k carries risk.

Nope, just the same point i've been making, travelling to any areas with high infection rates, e.g. Kildare at 159 cases /100k carries risk.

It would be fantastic if you could respond to what I'm actually saying. I've been pretty clear that people shouldn't be visiting areas under localised lockdown measures in other posts.

It would be fantastic if you could respond to what I'm actually saying. I've been pretty clear that people shouldn't be visiting areas under localised lockdown measures in other posts.

What? No travel until there's a vaccine because of contract tracing not working? Ridiculous!
    You're in the UK? The issues with the Track&trace system in the UK has a lot more issues than Travel to worry about https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-27/test-and-trace-system-fails-to-reach-80-target-for-ninth-week-in-a-row

What? No travel until there's a vaccine because of contract tracing not working? Ridiculous!
    You're in the UK? The issues with the Track&trace system in the UK has a lot more issues than Travel to worry about https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-27/test-and-trace-system-fails-to-reach-80-target-for-ninth-week-in-a-row

Feel free to respond to what I've actually said if you like as opposed to a straw man. Otherwise I'm probably going to reply to other posters.

It's pretty obvious that travelling to places like Spain with an incidence rate of 191 per 100,000 isn't a sensible idea in the current climate if you don't want to introduce new cases of the virus. To claim otherwise is arguing against reason.

Feel free to respond to what I've actually said if you like as opposed to a straw man. Otherwise I'm probably going to reply to other posters. It's pretty obvious that travelling to places like Spain with an incidence rate of 191 per 100,000 isn't a sensible idea in the current climate if you don't want to introduce new cases of the virus. To claim otherwise is arguing against reason.

What travelling to the Canary Islands where the infection rate is low is the same as travelling to Madrid almost 2,000km away?
    New cases of Covid will crop up in Ireland cos the Virus is in the community..

You've no argument to stop all but the minimum of travel until there's a vaccine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What travelling to the Canary Islands where the infection rate is low is the same as travelling to Madrid almost 2,000km away?

You've no argument to stop all but the minimum of travel until there's a vaccine!

That's a good argument!

saabsaab wrote: »
    That's a good argument!

No it’s not. It’s nonsense. We won’t be not stopping travel until some indeterminate date in the future when there might be a vaccine. Travel is pretty much off the front pages now anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

You've yet to back up any argument you have made here yet you attack everybody else's argument?
    Let me ask you this - do you really believe there is no risk behind travelling to the Canary Islands, sitting for 4 hours on a plane beside somebody, sitting in a restaurant beside somebody who has travelled from a Covid hotspot and travelling home from there? Do you really believe that is low-risk?

The reason Canary Islands has a low infection rate is
    1. because people are gone home infected before they have symptoms and are probably infected but on a plane before they notice
    2. they probably don't want to test people because tourism is their only source of income. Best to say there are low numbers than be honest.

Yet another example of people using statistics wrongly to peddle a false and inaccurate argument.

With Spain edging towards a 14 day incidence of 200 new cases per 100,000 and France logging it's highest daily count of new cases since March (over 6,000), when will people see that perhaps putting restrictions on travel may be a good decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭saabsaab

With Spain edging towards a 14 day incidence of 200 new cases per 100,000 and France logging it's highest daily count of new cases since March (over 6,000), when will people see that perhaps putting restrictions on travel may be a good decision?

So true. Pointless trying to lock down the country to eliminate the virus but importing new cases.

Like trying to empty the bath but leaving the taps still running

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What's up with 5 flights from America coming into Dublin airport tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

What's up with 5 flights from America coming into Dublin airport tomorrow?

Loads of Mexicans, Brazilians and Texans coming over for their summer holidays I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

They won't. You've had the "im entitled to do what I want" set travel throughout Europe and the world the last couple of months and that won't change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

saabsaab wrote: »
    So true. Pointless trying to lock down the country to eliminate the virus but importing new cases.

Like trying to empty the bath but leaving the taps still running
    ffs - there was 1500 odd cases in a fortnight in Ireland.
    just 69 travel related.

now, is travel the problem ? Did banning travel keep irelands numbers low?

ireland seems more than capable of creating a home made disaster without need for importing it from abroad, if even that would have happened (with a slightly more liberal green list) seeing as its mainly young people / meat plant workers who are proactively multiplying the disease, not sightseeing pensioners (home or abroad) or families with kids (home or abroad)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Loads of Mexicans, Brazilians and Texans coming over for their summer holidays I presume.

They must be sick of the sunshine!

Advertisement