Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Feria40 wrote: »

I've got no problem saying that he is wrong particularly when you have Spain in its second wave and France about to join it.

I don't understand why people can't holiday at home. It is good to see the Stay and Spend scheme set up to encourage exactly that.

Staying at home has the dual aim of not catching the virus somewhere else where the virus is more prevalent and to help the hospitality sector domestically.

Perhaps one of the good things about coronavirus is that it'll teach us that there's lots of good places close at hand for holidaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Cork or Waterford are down the road for anyone that likes to travel.

I'd bet that those meat plant outbreaks were related to overseas travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

saabsaab wrote: »
    Cork or Waterford are down the road for anyone that likes to travel.

I'd bet that those meat plant outbreaks were related to overseas travel.

You might be right but I would also bet the house on there being far more asymptomatic and mild cases around the country when the official numbers were low back in July.

I would bet the house that this is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

So a friend of mine was telling me that he's going to France next week but can't afford to self isolate. His work are requiring flight details so he's booked flights to both Italy and France, will show his work the Italian flights as Italy is on the green list but will in fact be flying directly into and out of France.

Is this possible? Seems a bit too easy to me. Is it being policed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

So a friend of mine was telling me that he's going to France next week but can't afford to self isolate. His work are requiring flight details so he's booked flights to both Italy and France, will show his work the Italian flights as Italy is on the green list but will in fact be flying directly into and out of France.

Is this possible? Seems a bit too easy to me. Is it being policed?

Is what being policed?

There is no legal requirement to self isolate.

Seems mad he told his work where he was going on his own time...

FrStone wrote: »
    Is what being policed?

There is no legal requirement to self isolate.

Seems mad he told his work where he was going on his own time...

They should have a bit of respect and decency towards their colleagues. Requirement or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Hopefully, people coming from red list countries will be able to do a test at Dublin airport and avoid this quarantine crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

And our airports are still wide fúcking open why?! :mad:

Forget New Zealand and Australia. How about Thailand and Malaysia who both shut up shop months ago (despite Thailand badly needing tourists) and cases there are well under control. In Malaysia they're practically non existent

"You can't close Ireland, it's in the EU"

Well at least have proper airport systems in place for Arrivals, not the fúcking shambles we currently have ("restrict yer movements there now, we might be calling ya")

Far, far too much "shure it'll be grand" about what we're letting into the country and it only adds to the current mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Forget New Zealand and Australia. How about Thailand and Malaysia who both shut up shop months ago (despite Thailand badly needing tourists) and cases there are well under control. In Malaysia they're practically non existent

Well at least have proper airport systems in place for Arrivals, not the fúcking shambles we currently have ("restrict yer movements there now, we might be calling ya")

Far, far too much "shure it'll be grand" about what we're letting into the country and it only adds to the current mess

I honestly think that the best solution (possibly the only solution) is testing on arrival. Some EU countries do that already.
    Hopefully the new EU traffic light system will have such provision and all countries will opt in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Too late, there’s nothing to suggest your average tourist is now more likely to be carrying the virus than the average Irish person any more. Most people coming in are coming from countries with lower Covid rates. Horse has bolted. Bring in testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

As said elsewhere,

they need to get to the conclusion here, sooner rather than later.

100% lockdown for 4 to 6 weeks, have all arrangements made for stocking up on necessities, a deployed martial law and necessaries for emergency interventions. Zero leniency, no exceptions.

Nobody gets in to the country, nobody gets out for a minimum of 12 months.

Following the 100% lockdown, we can kiss all the bull**** away. No more masks, no more arguments, no more debates, no more lockdowns, no more virus.

It's that simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,106 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If someone tests positive on arrival what happens then? Does the state have to put them up in a hotel for 2 weeks at a cost of circa a grand plus?

No airline is going to want to take someone on their plane with confirmed Covid.

It can't just be a lockdown on high-risk countries, this shyt is everywhere.

All travel into and out of the country needs to come to a complete stop, no exceptions. It should have been the first thing they did.

Gradius wrote: »
    As said elsewhere,

they need to get to the conclusion here, sooner rather than later.

100% lockdown for 4 to 6 weeks, have all arrangements made for stocking up on necessities, a deployed martial law and necessaries for emergency interventions. Zero leniency, no exceptions.

Nobody gets in to the country, nobody gets out for a minimum of 12 months.

Following the 100% lockdown, we can kiss all the bull**** away. No more masks, no more arguments, no more debates, no more lockdowns, no more virus.

It's that simple

You're having the craic, right?

You're having the craic, right?

The only people having the craic are those that don't have the slightest breeze about how to get rid of this thing.

People can moan and groan for 4 weeks and be done with it, or moan and groan for the rest of their lives about why this thing isn't disappearing. As I said, it's that simple.

If they had implemented such a plan in April, we would have been done with this bull**** in May. They half-arsed it, continue to half-arse it, and it won't change anything. Simple.

You don't get rid of 90% of your measles and expect everything to be grand. You go 100%, or don't bother at all. This virus is working 100% because it's very existence depends on it. That's why it's winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

57,000 flew to Ireland in September. Barely any of those people were followed up on. They say travel isnt a major contributor to the high level of virus at the moment, but I'd take that with a large punch of salt. No one is being tested or traced. It is a complete shambles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

We are a bloody high risk country now. Have to laugh at Leo's suggestion of a green list, no quarantine upon returning etc. Who's to say these places even want us in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

57,000 flew to Ireland in September. Barely any of those people were followed up on. They say travel isnt a major contributor to the high level of virus at the moment, but I'd take that with a large punch of salt. No one is being tested or traced. It is a complete shambles.

They also said that back in March when people were heading off for holidays in the North of Italy skiing etc. And look where that got us ...

We are a bloody high risk country now. Have to laugh at Leo's suggestion of a green list, no quarantine upon returning etc. Who's to say these places even want us in the first place?

Agreed. No point us having a green list, or getting all excited about an EU travel system, when we will be a red country and no other country will let us in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Are you guys still at this?"Lock the country down", "Close the borders" even after seeing what's happening in other countries. I guess you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

You've lost this argument, you'll have to put your authoritarian tendencies on hold until the next panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Are you guys still at this?"Lock the country down", "Close the borders" even after seeing what's happening in other countries. I guess you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

You've lost this argument, you'll have to put your authoritarian tendencies on hold until the next panic.

The merits of this argument have been proven by what is happening. The virus is spreading at an increased rate across Europe in part because travel wasn't restricted over the summer. This and breaking of social distancing guidance amongst the 20 - 30s cohort are the selfish reason as to why it is more likely there will be more national lockdowns in the winter.
    Irish Aris wrote: »
    I honestly think that the best solution (possibly the only solution) is testing on arrival. Some EU countries do that already.
    Hopefully the new EU traffic light system will have such provision and all countries will opt in.

Testing on arrival isn't enough. You can test negative in the early stages of incubation only to be positive a few days later.

Iceland just rolled back this policy for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Diarmuid wrote: »

Yeah more's the pity.

It doesn't matter now. It is spreading quite well in Ireland with the schools and colleges back and drinking dens about to fire up so once again, the cases being brought in from outside are a drop in the bucket.

If wanting to eliminate the virus (or at least cover as many angles as we can to reduce it/keep cases low) is authoritarian, sign me up.

The hell of it is I think if the health service does come under serious pressure from cases later in the year I wonder if govt. will be able to do another "lockdown"? I have my doubts, so Ireland is just going to have to accept the excess deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Yeah more's the pity.

It doesn't matter now. It is spreading quite well in Ireland with the schools and colleges back and drinking dens about to fire up so once again, the cases being brought in from outside are a drop in the bucket.

If wanting to eliminate the virus (or at least cover as many angles as we can to reduce it/keep cases low) is authoritarian, sign me up.

The hell of it is I think if the health service does come under serious pressure from cases later in the year I wonder if govt. will be able to do another "lockdown"? I have my doubts, so Ireland is just going to have to accept the excess deaths.

Even NPHET have stopped going on about travel because it was not the cause of this - although perhaps it was the cause in that they had an obsession with foreign travel and allowed complacency to exist at a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Even NPHET have stopped going on about travel because it was not the cause of this - although perhaps it was the cause in that they had an obsession with foreign travel and allowed complacency to exist at a national level.

You seem to be reasoning backwards from a conclusion you already came up with there. Given who they are, I'd say they were "going on about it" because they wanted to reduce and (ideally) eliminate the virus in Ireland.

They stopped "going on about" it because they were told "no" by the government and now it is of less importance (in our current situation) so why waste time on flogging a dead horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭secman

There was a huge cluster in Dolphins barn, Fatima and Oliver Bond 3 weeks ago. A group of 10 to 12 young lads from the three areas went to Benidorm for a week and most of them tested positive on their return. Obviously didn't self isolate and caused hundreds of infections that are still ongoing. One of them did deliveries for a Chinese takeaway and he ended up being a super spreader. You wont hear Michael O Leary speaking about that incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

secman wrote: »
    One of them did deliveries for a Chinese takeaway and he ended up being a super spreader. You wont hear Michael O Leary speaking about that incident.

Was the Chinese food delivered to Michael O'Leary's office at Ryanair H.Q? If so I think they should close Ryanair before it infects everyone!!

secman wrote: »
    There was a huge cluster in Dolphins barn, Fatima and Oliver Bond 3 weeks ago. A group of 10 to 12 young lads from the three areas went to Benidorm for a week and most of them tested positive on their return. Obviously didn't self isolate and caused hundreds of infections that are still ongoing. One of them did deliveries for a Chinese takeaway and he ended up being a super spreader. You wont hear Michael O Leary speaking about that incident.

Have you a link for this or is it stories going around these 3 areas? I'm not doubting it happened, just a source would be handy

One of them being a delivery guy is the stuff of nightmares. I don't live in any of these areas but I've been weary of only getting the very occasional takeaway since March

Let's be honest, many delivery lads in North Dublin wouldn't be the brightest of people. I can't see many (not all) of them being the socially distancing, hand washing, mask wearing type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Have you a link for this or is it stories going around these 3 areas? I'm not doubting it happened, just a source would be handy.One of them being a delivery guy is the stuff of nightmares. I don't live in any of these areas but I've been weary of only getting the very occasional takeaway since March .Let's be honest, many delivery lads in North Dublin wouldn't be the brightest of people. I can't see many (not all) of them being the socially distancing, hand washing, mask wearing type

Source: Whatsapp

Would you call the guy who delivers the Pizza to you Dumb when he calls to the door to hand it over to you?

• Advertisement

Severe criticism of lack of Covid-19 testing at Irish airports
    THE Government has sustained severe criticism for the lack of Covid-19 testing at Ireland's airports six months into the pandemic.

Sinn Féin TD Darren O'Rourke claimed the situation is "shameful".

Labour TD Duncan Smith said it means there's "still no real light at the end of the tunnel" for aviation workers whose jobs are at risk.
    It came as the Dáil debated the impact of Covid-19 on the transport sector.

Full article https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/severe-criticism-of-lack-of-covid-19-testing-at-irish-airports-39557095.html

Put some trained monkeys pumped up on Adderall in the Dáil

We'd get better fúking results

Advertisement