Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Naw, I just said he was probably in Spain.

Your the one who reckons this is special sitting of the special criminal court.

Special Criminal Court?! It was you and other pitchforkers calling for all sorts of retribution against this guy based on a wrongly worded media article.

Hopefully you’re now aware of the three classifications of transmission that the HSE use and how this alleged man isn’t ‘responsible’ for 56 cases nor is ‘travel’ and that there was never a request by the Government to restrict your movements after returning from a green list country.

You’re aware of the Garda, senior enough to be present at press briefings, who attended a briefing yesterday whilst awaiting a result? Who doesn’t know at this stage you’re advised to isolate while awaiting a result? That Guard was just chancing his arm. Direct your ire at the real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

3xh wrote: »
    Special Criminal Court?! It was you and other pitchforkers calling for all sorts of retribution against this guy based on a wrongly worded media article.

Hopefully you’re now aware of the three classifications of transmission that the HSE use and how this alleged man isn’t ‘responsible’ for 56 cases nor is ‘travel’ and that there was never a request by the Government to restrict your movements after returning from a green list country.

You’re aware of the Garda, senior enough to be present at press briefings, who attended a briefing yesterday whilst awaiting a result? Who doesn’t know at this stage you’re advised to isolate while awaiting a result? That Guard was just chancing his arm. Direct your ire at the real issues.

That’s a scurrilous remark you have made against me, and you should in held in contempt for suggesting at any stage I advocated retribution against anyone.

Did you hear that it was reported he was in Alicante for his holidays? It was leaked by the HSE apparently along with his name.

As for your three classifications of transmission, that’s just nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

This is why there never should have been a green list to begin with. Either blanket compulsory quarantine or no non-essential travel. I prefer the latter.

That’s a scurrilous remark you have made against me, and you should in held in contempt for suggesting at any stage I advocated retribution against anyone.

Did you hear that it was reported he was in Alicante for his holidays? It was leaked by the HSE apparently along with his name.

As for your three classifications of transmission, that’s just nonsense.

Then don’t comment in agreement with that indo article. There were two reasons for its publication. One was money for INM. Guess the second.

Leaked by the HSE plus his name? Quite an allegation there.

Take the classifications of transmission up with the HSE. It might make it harder for NPHET to justify lockdowns if you can get the headings changed.

It wasn’t the indo.

Again your testimony is inaccurate.

Alicante is lovely this time of year as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

My friend's daughter and all her friends are heading to Scilly for the duration of the KD work from home.

It wasn’t the indo.

Again your testimony is inaccurate.

Alicante is lovely this time of year as well.

I’m referring to this>>>
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/man-who-didnt-isolate-after-return-from-holiday-led-to-at-least-56-covid-19-infections-39639518.html which is a link that’s been used here to discuss this same story.

You’re referring to the journal.ie one. They read like they’re written by the same journalist.

I’m glad Alicante is lovely this time of year. It’s probably lovely when this man went too. But you’ve no real point about it anyway.

I’m referring to this>>>
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/man-who-didnt-isolate-after-return-from-holiday-led-to-at-least-56-covid-19-infections-39639518.html which is a link that’s been used here to discuss this same story.

You’re referring to the journal.ie one. They read like they’re written by the same journalist.

I’m glad Alicante is lovely this time of year. It’s probably lovely when this man went too. But you’ve no real point about it anyway.

How do you know if was a man? They could have used an alias

How do you know if was a man? They could have used an alias

Now you have it.

Stop believing the media. They don’t care about you.

I’m out of this to/fro before The Mod here warns us. The point is made; he didn’t spread it to 55 others like you’re told.

Now you have it.

I’m out of this to/fro before The Mod here warns us. The point is made; he didn’t spread it to 55 others like you’re told.

I wasn’t told anything.
    Keep your tinfoil hat nonsense for the conspiracy forums.

It’s clear, people traveling are a source of infections. when you double travel with ignorance and stupidity you can have an end result of up to 50 infections, you can slice that pie whatever way you like, but controls on travel could have caught this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Now you have it.

Technically that's true, but if he was in a hotel room looking at 4 walls then 55 less people would have been infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Technically that's true, but if he was in a hotel room looking at 4 walls then 55 less people would have been infected.
    why would he be in a hotel - he lives in Ireland ! His mistake was that he has loads of family in Ireland, loads of friends in Ireland, and met them all in a tight space without a mask. He wasnt a tourist hiking up a mountain or walking on a beach.

This is actually the crux of the matter. Tourists arent the big problem.
    They wander about in their tourist bubble, will go to a museum with a mask on, dine in a hotel restaurant with other tourists etc. Generally spend lots of time in the open, and generally travel by bus tour or car so even then they are in their own bubble not mixing terribly closely with the local population.

I've stayed at one of the largest hotels in Galway when up to a half dozen bus tours were there and you literally would not see one of them in the main restaurant or breakfast room. They have an early start every morning so they tend not to go mad on the beer (they'd be the ones nursing a half pint of guinness for an hour before dissappearing) if they go to the bar at all

I sometimes wonder do people think through their agrressive anti tourist sentiment before putting their mouth or fingertips into action.

BTW, the initial peak of infections back in March were also not incoming tourists, they were irish wintersport enthusiasts returning to their irish homes and communities

why would he be in a hotel - he lives in Ireland ! His mistake was that he has loads of family in Ireland, loads of friends in Ireland, and met them all in a tight space without a mask.

This is actually the crux of the matter. Tourists arent the big problem.
    They wander about in their tourist bubble, will go to a museum with a mask on, dine in a hotel restaurant with other tourists etc.

I've stayed at one of the largest hotels in Galway when up to a half dozen bus tours were there and you literally would not see one of them in the main restaurant, bar or breakfast room. They have an early start every morning so they tend not to go mad on the beer (they'd be the ones nursing a half pint of guinness for an hour before dissappearing)

I sometimes wonder do people think through their agrressive anti tourist sentiment before putting their mouth or fingertips into action.

BTW, the initial peak of infections back in March were also not incoming tourists, they were irish wintersport enthusiasts returning to their irish homes and communities

I know he was from Ireland, I was talking about managed quarantine. Doesn't really matter now just going lock up everyone instead. LOL

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I know he was from Ireland, I was talking about managed quarantine. Doesn't really matter now just going lock up everyone instead. LOL
    Sorry, I didnt catch that - I'm just overwhelmed that social media and even the inlaws are still to this day yapping that the country is being invaded by tourists - yea, indeed, tourist hotspots like Blanchardstown, Mullhuddart, Cavan/ Monaghan and Strabane have been brought to their knees by carefree visiting yanks (my hole) !!!!!

Sorry, I didnt catch that - I'm just overwhelmed that social media and even the inlaws are still to this day yapping that the country is being invaded by tourists - yea, indeed, tourist hotspots like Blanchardstown, Mullhuddart, Cavan/ Monaghan and Strabane have been brought to their knees by carefree visiting yanks (my hole) !!!!!

Yeah the Yanks are a red herring, same as meat factories.

My Brother lives in a small border town, local family went off to Spain on holidays in August...on return they should have been "restricting movements" :D but the father was back driving taxi few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'not incoming tourists, they were irish wintersport enthusiasts returning to their irish homes and communities'

All air travel related. Makes no difference where they are from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

We have wintersports in Ireland?

faceman wrote: »

further evidence that it is not air travel itself that is the problem. It is the behaviour of people in the place that they are in.....whether that is a house party in Cork on a bar in Seville.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

further evidence that it is not air travel itself that is the problem. It is the behaviour of people in the place that they are in.....whether that is a house party in Cork on a bar in Seville.
    The new evidence comes largely from Hong Kong, where health officials have been meticulously testing — and tracking — all passengers who land in the city. "They test everybody by PCR on arrival, quarantine them in single rooms for 14 days and then test the passengers again," says infectious disease doctor David O. Freedman at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. So health officials there know which passengers boarded the plane while already infected with the virus and whether they could have infected anyone else on the plane.

Enough to make a cat laugh (or cry).
    Am sure China (and countries where virus is under control with similar procedures) with will be ending these policies any day now!

Wonderful we all believe in "freedom" (to cough, sneeze and spread disease) here in Europe and would never consider such public health measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Why then do most countries in Europe have some form of quarantine on incoming travellers? Frequently backed up with regular checks and significant fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

MOH wrote: »
    Why then do most countries in Europe have some form of quarantine on incoming travellers? Frequently backed up with regular checks and significant fines?

Most don't!

Some don't have any (example Portugal, Spain, France)

Some only have checks for tourists from high risk countries (Germany, Austria, Italy) such as Ireland!

Ireland is a Covid hotspot, most visitors from other EU countries will have a much lower infection risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

faceman wrote: »

A handful of cases on a single airline. Not enough to prove anything conclusively.

The main objection to travel to higher risk countries was that you would contract the virus there and bring it back rather than catch it on the flight. Although that's still obviously possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

the gombeens in the IRFU are flying in a team from Italy this weekend, unreal stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The main objection to travel to higher risk countries was that you would contract the virus there and bring it back rather than catch it on the flight. Although that's still obviously possible.

Yes. "We are the danger" now, so have to repeat the work of the spring/summer all over again (as acknowledged by the Irish govt.'s introduction of further restrictions) before such things as new cases from inward travel become an important consideration.

gourcuff wrote: »
    the gombeens in the IRFU are flying in a team from Italy this weekend, unreal stupidity
    Why do you say that?

Firstly, they are a professional sports team so will be in their bubble and interact with next to noone in ireland

Secondly, Ireland is riddled with Covid. Its one of the worst countries in Europe and way worse than Italy. If there were a risk to anyone (and I cant see one) it would be more a case of the visitors being more at risk in Ireland than Italy !

gourcuff wrote: »

It’s great news that the rugby is going ahead. Looking forward to the games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Secondly, Ireland is riddled with Covid. Its one of the worst countries in Europe and way worse than Italy

I don't think that stat is true when calculated on a per capita or per 100,000 population is it?

Both are the only ways any two countries should be compared with case numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

"shure it'll be grand"

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1320322981084745728

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/transmission-of-covid-19-on-flight-into-ireland-linked-to-59-infections-1.4390728

Inflight transmission of Covid-19 may have resulted in the infection of 59 people across the State, including 13 passengers on the same long-distance flight, according to a new study.

The outbreak occurred despite low levels of occupancy on the long-haul flight, the fact that different groups of passengers who tested positive were not sitting near each other and the fact that most were wearing masks, the study notes.

The authors say the outbreak demonstrates the potential for the spread of Covid-19 linked to air travel.

Onward transmission from the 13 passenger cases resulted in a total of 59 cases in six out of the eight HSE health regions across the country, necessitating national oversight of the outbreak.

The 13 passengers, ranging in age from one to 65 years, had transferred to an Ireland-bound flights via a large international airport, having flown into Europe from three different continents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement