Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

You are completely missing the point, its it's nothing to do with Brazilians as a people and everything to do with the virus and variants.

Personally I love having the Brazilian people here. In my experience they're generally a hardworking and friendly bunch. Particularly the ones that get the chance to reside here after their student visa.

The only people that seem to have a problem with them are the usual anti mask, anti restriction, xenophobic dummies on the dole, that are now ironically fawning outrage at the ban to suit their own agenda.

I said it before but sure why not say it again, Irish people IN IRELAND have been taking the mickey. Every time a little bit of "freedom" is given they take it too far:
    - Christmas being the big one
    - Restaurants (when they were open), and countless restaurants had to put up with grief and hassle trying to implement the rules from horrible customers.
    - A HUGE amount of households having people over and not following the bubble rules.

The situation isn't because of Brazilians (you'd swear it was Mardi Gras in Dublin Airport listening to people here) or the few who came home for Christmas, people need to take ownership for this and stop blaming others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I said it before but sure why not say it again, Irish people IN IRELAND have been taking the mickey. Every time a little bit of "freedom" is given they take it too far:
    - Restaurants (when they were open), and countless restaurants had to put up with grief and hassle trying to implement the rules from horrible customers.
    - A HUGE amount of households having people over and not following the bubble rules.

The situation isn't because of Brazilians (you'd swear it was Mardi Gras in Dublin Airport listening to people here) or the few who came home for Christmas, people need to take ownership for this and stop blaming others.

I agree with all that actually.

I just dont want see to see any more virus or variants introduced into the country when we come out of lockdown.

Let's get the numbers down and keep them there. Travel restrictions is a key part of a successful suppression strategy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

People really have Brazilians in their sights around here. Sure have to have someone to blame.

Wacist Wacist Wacist!

Lets correct your sentence to remove all doubt:

People really have persons travelling here from Brazil ians in their sights around here. Sure have to have someone to blame.

Hope that clears up that little matter for you, now can we move on from your pet hate of singling out "others" from this discussion.

FFS.

Irish people (and other nationalities too who happen to reside here on a long-term or permanent basis) have had enough of lockdown and are firmly in the fatigue phase.

This is because:

1: In lockdown one, the Irish people collectively in conjunction with fairly closed international travel managed to reduce viral spread to under ten cases a day.

2: It was a huge collective national effort and one we should all be proud of especially when other countries who didn't go as far as us in the effort bore their own rotten fruits.

3: "Freedom" as you say is a right, not a luxury. We sacrificed the vast majority of a year to achieve this, but our political class caved into neoliberal policies to effectively un-do what we achieved in point 1 and point 2 above.

4: Your constant sledging of the Irish peoples in spite of our aforementioned work is worse than any "horrible customer" you describe.

The only reason Covid-19 is still here in this country is because of lax border rules. Nothing else. The Irish people who stayed home and didn't holiday abroad have proven this with the daily figures that were often boasted last June-July.

Open borders = open problems. Own it.

That's hilarious, given those options Arlene would only love to seal the border, if it was actually possible to do it (it isn't). That some people in the Republic actually think for a second that the DUP would even entertain the idea of sealing off the island from their beloved United Kingdom shows how little many in the south know about Northern Ireland.

Let it be on her if the border were to be sealed. There is a blueprint from 2001 when the foot and mouth disease was raging to work from. Dare I say, there would be very little adjustment as it was a roaring success. Ready to go with it if that is what Arlene wants. Little complaints from many here who would see it as an advantage in the quest to get near Zero Covid!
    Look, you can advocate for closing the border all you want, it doesn't change the fact that it is literally impossible to do. 275 road crossings in addition to numerous other unofficial crossings, houses and businesses that sit on the border itself and an inhabited part of County Monaghan that it is literally impossible to enter or leave without travelling through the UK. And that's before you consider essential inward delivery journeys from NI and the UK that require drivers and can't be stopped not to mention the longer term political implications of trying to close off the border. We are not a remote island state in the Pacific Ocean like New Zealand is. In fact, we're not even an island state.
    See earlier point re: 2001. We've currently no bother putting up thousands of road-checks across Ireland to make sure we're staying inside 5km, surely some of those checkpoints could be redeployed to the border or damn near it.
    Like I said, it's our own form of Trumpism or Brexitism, build a wall and all the problems will somehow magically go away.
    Considering it's globalist open-borders policies that have allowed this virus to spread with breath-taking speed :rolleyes:
    This is interesting because you previously said that:

Yet now you are saying that actually people here won't bother with the rules after all and they'll just circumvent them once the weather picks up a bit. And yet that will all still somehow be the fault of your favourite scapegoat, international travellers. Sorry, but this is comedy gold.
    Dutch protests, German protests, Spanish protests - the Irish will too soon join in and force the incompetent governments to row back on internal restrictions once we pass the fatigue phase. You don't really understand human nature if you call it comedy gold.
    Look, a certain portion of the population has been given a platform for a few days now to vent about people entering and leaving the state and have shown themselves up as a result, but we really need to refocus our efforts on minimising the impact of the virus at home now and move away from this kind of populist nonsense. Enough is enough.

Now THATS comedy gold.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Irish Examiner looked at a wider spread of data from this week and found just 1/3 of people travelling were holiday makers. This makes more sense given there aren't daily flights to holiday hot spots anymore. Some destinations are one flight a week.

Yet your linked article says:
    New Department of Transport figures also show a third of people arriving at Dublin Airport over the last two days have come back from holidays.

Two days does not a week make, and anyone who knows the holiday industry knows that at this time of year owing to flight frequencies to holiday destinations will skew towards certain days of the week, but nice try. Further down in that article your proclaimed "just 33%" jumps up quite a notch:
    The Irish Examiner reports that speaking at a private meeting of his parliamentary party, Mr Martin said that of 800 people who came into the country by air, 542 were Irish and 397 were on holidays.

Now, sixth class is calling because 397 out of 800 is not 33%, but 49%.

Lesson of the day, read beyond the headlines
    28 people without a test who will be prosecuted.
    Excellent!
    Paul Reid also "doesn't think too much focus should be on the risk from international travel."
    Again a very disingenuous claim, that is the author expressing his/her opinion, wonder why :rolleyes:

If you actually quote what Paul Reid said:
    “We've seen a lot of public focus shifts at different times and in different waves, to different areas that might be the cause or result of the high transmission levels. On occasions that has been meat plants, sometimes Direct Provision centres, sometimes a perception of schools, or young people, or indeed now travel.”

His words, which suggest to me that he is observing a vigilant public that are expressing strong concern in order to sway our incompetent politicians into taking action.
    With the meat plant outbreak affected 220 people it would be great to see the mob shift their focus to looking for more regulation and enforcement around workplaces.
    Finally, something we can see eye-to-eye on. Scrupulous employers who don't pay any meaningful sick-pay are the cause of alot of local transmission issues. Once one peels off the skin of this problem, you realise there is massive issues that are perhaps more at home in another section of Boards.ie for discussion. Government policy again is to blame, a certified 80% wage guarantee to any employee testing positive would greatly if not drastically eliminate workplace spreading problems.

Danno wrote: »
    Wacist Wacist Wacist!

Lets correct your sentence to remove all doubt:

People really have persons travelling here from Brazil ians in their sights around here. Sure have to have someone to blame.

Hope that clears up that little matter for you, now can we move on from your pet hate of singling out "others" from this discussion.

FFS.

I'm not claiming racism. I just think the fixation on travel is incorrect. I actually find it fascinating how quick everyone jumped on the Brazil train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm not claiming racism. I just think the fixation on travel is incorrect. I actually find it fascinating how quick everyone jumped on the Brazil train.

Well most likely for the reason it's topical following the news of the new strain and the governments new travel restrictions and the fairly large number of people from there who come here for work etc. Its been all over the news this week. You discussed the issues yourself on this very thread. But no one is having a go afaics

Irish people (and other nationalities too who happen to reside here on a long-term or permanent basis) have had enough of lockdown and are firmly in the fatigue phase.

This is because:

1: In lockdown one, the Irish people collectively in conjunction with fairly closed international travel managed to reduce viral spread to under ten cases a day.

2: It was a huge collective national effort and one we should all be proud of especially when other countries who didn't go as far as us in the effort bore their own rotten fruits.

3: "Freedom" as you say is a right, not a luxury. We sacrificed the vast majority of a year to achieve this, but our political class caved into neoliberal policies to effectively un-do what we achieved in point 1 and point 2 above.

4: Your constant sledging of the Irish peoples in spite of our aforementioned work is worse than any "horrible customer" you describe.

The only reason Covid-19 is still here in this country is because of lax border rules. Nothing else. The Irish people who stayed home and didn't holiday abroad have proven this with the daily figures that were often boasted last June-July.

Open borders = open problems. Own it.

Some people did the work. Many didn't. And no, the reason covid is still in Ireland isn't the border rules.
    You may have followed the rules but countless people didn't. It's easy for you to blame travel.
    Your 4th point is nonsense, I heard the stories from hospitality, I know the people who had their big Christmases, and I know people who pretend they are following all the guidelines but are really meeting 4,5,6 other households.

Some people did the work. Many didn't. And no, the reason covid is still in Ireland isn't the border rules.
    For the second time tonight I have to correct your assertations. Firstly - the vast majority of people did in fact do the work, a very small minority didn't. Otherwise how did we reduce spread to less than ten cases a day for a month long period between mid-June and mid-July. "Many didn't" doesn't smack of that result. I think if you were seeking that kind of comparison, there are countless other nations you could point the finger at.

You may have followed the rules but countless people didn't. It's easy for you to blame travel.
    I didn't follow any rules because there were only guidelines to follow, hence my running point throughout this discussion ;)

Your 4th point is nonsense, I heard the stories from hospitality, I know the people who had their big Christmases, and I know people who pretend they are following all the guidelines but are really meeting 4,5,6 other households.

"I heard stories". Nice story bro, but in fairness there ain't alot happening these days so everything you hear is like another Eastenders episode. :pac:

i.e. Stories with legs.

• Advertisement

For the second time tonight I have to correct your assertations. Firstly - the vast majority of people did in fact do the work, a very small minority didn't. Otherwise how did we reduce spread to less than ten cases a day for a month long period between mid-June and mid-July. "Many didn't" doesn't smack of that result. I think if you were seeking that kind of comparison, there are countless other nations you could point the finger at.

I didn't follow any rules because there were only guidelines to follow, hence my running point throughout this discussion ;)

"I heard stories". Nice story bro, but in fairness there ain't alot happening these days so everything you hear is like another Eastenders episode. :pac:

i.e. Stories with legs.

There's no point going around in circles. You have your views on the past year and I have mine.

I never said you were claiming "racism". How and ever, I happened to watch TV3's Tonight Show there recently and they had Oisin Smith and Roisin Shortall on - two quite left leaning politicians - and you had Shortall calling for strict control of borders, but Smith was suggesting that her calls were "very dangerous" with snide accusations of racism. He was a really dirty weasel for it and how dare he treat a sincere lady in Shortall like that. Your recent posting style drew close comparisons for me.

There's no point going around in circles. You have your views on the past year and I have mine.

Of course! And if my views were taken seriously we'd be pretty close to what NZ, Australia, Vietnam, Taiwan amongst others have right now.

Your views on the other hand seem to be those adopted by our Govt and yet here we are, Lockdown three (or four, depending on your county) with an extension to March 5th - at least.

Past actions = current outcome.

But the calamity of it all is that they are suggesting more of the same will result in something different.

Peruse that and chaos quickly finds a presence in the equation.

I never said you were claiming "racism". How and ever, I happened to watch TV3's Tonight Show there recently and they had Oisin Smith and Roisin Shortall on - two quite left leaning politicians - and you had Shortall calling for strict control of borders, but Smith was suggesting that her calls were "very dangerous" with snide accusations of racism. He was a really dirty weasel for it and how dare he treat a sincere lady in Shortall like that. Your recent posting style drew close comparisons for me.

My view on it is that it's bandwagon jumping and looking for something to blame other than themselves. But I've no intention in keeping this back and forth going. It's clear where we stand.

My view on it is that it's bandwagon jumping and looking for something to blame other than themselves. But I've no intention in keeping this back and forth going. It's clear where we stand.

Fine by me, FWIW - I've been banging this drum since last April, so not on any bandwagon so to speak - but glad to see many passengers join recently.

As they say, the penny drops slowly, but then hard.

We'll probably cross paths again in the future when the blame for the SA and/or the Brazilian variant of Covid-19 is rampant come late-March is because of St. Patrick's Day celebrations or something like that. ;)

Thanks for participating, until then - chou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

When all is said and done and the dust settles.

I will always remember the fact I couldn't go 5km outside my home but people could fly to Dubia and Lanzarote for a jolly.

That's the simple fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It's quiet ironic to see the most "liberal" types (not just boardsies here either) screaming for border controls and traditional conservatives such as myself who have always favoured tough but fair immigration procedures pushing back against the border controls and visa cancellations. It shows how hypocritical such people are, when times are good welcome them in and charge them through the nose but when things go bad blame them for the problems and kick them out.

theguzman wrote: »
    It's quiet ironic to see the most "liberal" types (not just boardsies here either) screaming for border controls and traditional conservatives such as myself who have always favoured tough but fair immigration procedures pushing back against the border controls and visa cancellations. It shows how hypocritical such people are, when times are good welcome them in and charge them through the nose but when things go bad blame them for the problems and kick them out.

It's a conundrum alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I will always remember the fact I couldn't go 5km outside my home but people could fly to Dubia and Lanzarote for a jolly.

That's the simple fact.

Amazing to see gardai do controls at the airport but really I wonder how much control they have to prevent someone leaving the country.

The story of the spanish students in my mind is genuine enough, they are here to study etc.

About a month ago I was in the airport and I noticed in particular 2 very busy flights.

1 was KLM to Amsterdam..... Argue business if you like but I saw plenty of locals there and if I were to guess I wouldn't say they were travelling with work with their partners.

The other was a charter flight to turkey.... And God this sounds bad but It was a flight for the people going to get the stomach surgery. (From the ads you'd see on Facebook) and look none of us are an oil painting but I know for a fact that's what the flight was because the airline was an oddball that we normally wouldn't see and well everyone at the check in counter was on the heavy side.

The klm flight should've had heavy restrictions on it and I'd say atleast half of the people shouldn't have been allowed go and for the fatty flight, I dunno could you deem optional surgery essential ? If it was recommended by a GP for health reasons then surely they would've done it under the HSE in Ireland and not send someone to turkey to get it done.

But again I dunno what powers the gardai have to stop you entering an airport , there could be some laws behind the passport to allow you to travel freely etc ?
    I would like to see more restrictions in place to stop the holiday makers alright but 100% I disagree with people who say stop all flights because that's just unrealistic for operations and people who genuinely need to travel, be it work or whatever the reason may be.

I would like to see more restrictions in place to stop the holiday makers alright but 100% I disagree with people who say stop all flights because that's just unrealistic for operations and people who genuinely need to travel, be it work or whatever the reason may be.

There are few advocating "ban all flights" those that do are headbangers.

There are absolutely essential works that need to be done without our own local expertise. However, if the role is "that" essential, there is already a hefty premium attached to importing that skillset.

In that instance, a €100k job with a €3k surplus for staying in a quarantined hotel for a week or so, ain't gonna break the bank, is it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

That's the simple fact.

You could fly too remember that also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

When all is said and done and the dust settles.I will always remember the fact I couldn't go 5km outside my home but people could fly to Dubia and Lanzarote for a jolly. That's the simple fact.

Which has been the case on and off for almost a year now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Cerveza wrote: »
    You could fly too remember that also.

Imagine if you lived in a totalitarian type state that made it illegal to travel abroad for holidays or any other leisure purposes in order to help reduce rates of infection :eek:

Couldn't be having that could we?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A tiny island with an small relatively homogeneous population not sharing an open land border with a foreign jurisdiction would certainly have helped them. Bar one lad and his jetski they have kept everyone and everything out bar a few lorries of food every so often to keep them fed. You cannot in anyway compare Ireland and the isle of man, Waking Ned is about the only thing we have in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

So it'll take weeks to get the legislation passed?

What the actual fcuk?!

Why can't they have emergency legislation passed?

Bottom line is the "government" loathe to do this and need to be dragged kicking and screaming to do it

Shambolic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

ShineOn7 wrote: »

What the actual fcuk?!

Bottom line is the "government" loathe to do this and need to be dragged kicking and screaming to do it

Shambolic

I think is all future planning , prob at EU level to keep future variants out

Its too late for the variants current in circulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Future planning?

You can be fairly Sure the variants are already circulating here seeing as they are in the UK and we have next to no restrictions with the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Future planning?

You can be fairly Sure the variants are already circulating here seeing as they are in the UK and we have next to no restrictions with the UK

Ya what's here is here, too late for that

And the quarantine has to be co-ordinated at EU level and with the UK

We can't go over and my above what the U K does for example because of movement between the 2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ShineOn7 wrote: »

What the actual fcuk?!

Shambolic

This was always going to be the case. Legislation needs to be drafted as the rights of EU and Irish citizens is impacted while in detention centres. This was flagged from the outset. Its easier to draft the legislation for non EU citizens

Advertisement