Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

faceman wrote: »
    This was always going to be the case. Legislation needs to be drafted as the rights of EU and Irish citizens is impacted while in detention centres. This was flagged from the outset. Its easier to draft the legislation for non EU citizens

Of course, the sane thing to do would be to start looking at this back in autumn when over 50% of cases were the Spanish variant that had arisen over the summer.

Have the legal situation assessed and draft legislation prepared just in case, you know, the craziest thing happened and a future variant was a bit more serious.

But one thing this government can never be accused of is forward planning.

Best to just wait until a crisis situation arises, wait another couple of weeks after that to be safe, only start looking at it then, and then explain the entire delay to people as being down to how legally tricky it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

MOH wrote: »
    Of course, the sane thing to do would be to start looking at this back in autumn when over 50% of cases were the Spanish variant that had arisen over the summer.

Have the legal situation assessed and draft legislation prepared just in case, you know, the craziest thing happened and a future variant was a bit more serious.

But one thing this government can never be accused of is forward planning.

Best to just wait until a crisis situation arises, wait another couple of weeks after that to be safe, only start looking at it then, and then explain the entire delay to people as being down to how legally tricky it is

Yes Minister explanation below..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXIetP5iak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This was always going to be the case. Legislation needs to be drafted as the rights of EU and Irish citizens is impacted while in detention centres. This was flagged from the outset. Its easier to draft the legislation for non EU citizens

Quarantine Centres, and bhoy should they have been set up 10 months ago and everyone gets a stay in them, Irish nationals coming home, UK nationals, EU citizens and non-EU nationals, the whole lot.

We could have even set them up along the border too, or offer to pay Arlene a few million to set them up in Antrim town and Derry.

We'd all be in a way better place today and around 2,000 folk might still be alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Danno wrote: »
    Quarantine Centres, and bhoy should they have been set up 10 months ago and everyone gets a stay in them, Irish nationals coming home, UK nationals, EU citizens and non-EU nationals, the whole lot.

We could have even set them up along the border too, or offer to pay Arlene a few million to set them up in Antrim town and Derry.

We'd all be in a way better place today and around 2,000 folk might still be alive.

Blows my mind that there were approx 10,000 positive cases of covid in Ireland last week

There is no mandatory quarantine of any of those people or their close contacts. No checks by anyone. God knows how many close contacts those 10,000 people had. 20,000? 30,000?

The mob wants mandatory quarantine stays for all travellers for 14 days yet remains silent on the positive cases and close contacts.

So is it ok for for close contacts and confirmed cases to not be mandated to self isolate? Given the risk they carry is far higher from close contacts and confirmed cases than those who travel (per WHO, ECDC), shouldn’t we put all those people in a detention facility too?

Do you think all confirmed cases and close contacts should be put in detention centres? If not why not?

"detention center" absolutely destroys your credibility. We're not retarded children. We're not fooled by retarded language.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"detention center" absolutely destroys your credibility. We're not retarded children. We're not fooled by retarded language.

Reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Blows my mind that there were approx 10,000 positive cases of covid in Ireland last week

There is no mandatory quarantine of any of those people or their close contacts. No checks by anyone. God knows how many close contacts those 10,000 people had. 20,000? 30,000?

The mob wants mandatory quarantine stays for all travellers for 14 days yet remains silent on the positive cases and close contacts.

So is it ok for for close contacts and confirmed cases to not be mandated to self isolate? Given the risk they carry is far higher from close contacts and confirmed cases than those who travel (per WHO, ECDC), shouldn’t we put all those people in a detention facility too?

Do you think all confirmed cases and close contacts should be put in detention centres? If not why not?

you highlight an important issue but then call the majority of the population "a mob" because they don't agree with you. Living in two countries must be nice but I can see why it might cause you issues and why you would be vehemently against any form of hotel mandatory quarantine.

The Spanish variant in the summer became the most dominant I Europe. It was estimated to be 20% more transmissible. People aren't stupid and they are starting to demand this as an alternative to rolling lockdowns. How did it get here? I guess it didn't walk here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/majority-of-irish-covid-19-cases-come-from-variant-that-originated-in-spain-study-1.4394152

Thu, Oct 29, 2020
    Majority of Irish Covid-19 cases come from variant that originated in Spain – study
    Variant originated in farm workers and has spread rapidly through much of Europe since summer

A coronavirus variant that originated in Spanish farm workers has spread rapidly through much of Europe since the summer, and now accounts for the majority of new Covid-19 cases in several countries– and 60 per cent in Ireland.
    An international team of scientists that has been tracking the virus through its genetic mutations has described the extraordinary spread of the variant, called 20A.EU1, in a research paper to be published on Thursday.

Their work suggests that people returning from holiday in Spain played a key role in transmitting the virus across Europe, raising questions about whether the second wave that is sweeping the continent could have been reduced by improved screening at airports and other transport hubs.

Funnily enough most people don't want to isolate in their bedroom while anyone can waltz in with the next gen variant.

If there is an absolute must for anyone to travel from Ireland or for anyone to travel to Ireland they must produce a negative PCR and quarantine in a hotel room for 5 days until they have a second negative PCR test, anyone arriving/returning must quarantine for 14 days in said room.

For people living in Ireland who don't quarantine after testing positive there should/must be an equally hefty fine/sanction such as a €3,000 fine or similar. We have the App to help track that. Mobile network Three (and I'm sure there are others) provide the Govt with movement data. We should be able to find alot of the flouters this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Reported

Mod

ABG - improve the tone

Faceman - report and leave it. Signalling a report just serves to wind up others.

Both of you can take a week off from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

We have the App to help track that.

If you mean the HSE Covid Tracker phone application (?), just to note it cannot be used in that way. It does not track location at all and has been constructed to preserve privacy.

For people that test positive, the only way you could enforce that they isolate afterwards (without detaining them in set location) would be to use GPS trackers or have them install an application for location tracking on their phone etc

The "manpower" (public health staff or guards etc.) to follow it up when people break it is also needed, otherwise there is no point + it is similar to the passenger locator forms/follow up calls. Do we have that available, even if will was actually there to adopt that sort of authoritarian approach? - I don't believe so. (As with travel restrictions) we would have been gearing up for it in the summer (getting legislation passed, hiring staff etc.) if there was any intention to do it.

Again we veer off the topic (thanks faceman) .:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Not on headed paper! Possible based on a genuine letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Fill the media with this dung, dance a bit of a jig at Jerusalema. Winners for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I equally think it's time to consider legislation to stop Irish people returning home. Post Christmas could be a disaster if it's still rampant in the UK.

We wont't of course. Mehole will appear on TV strongly urging ex pats not to return home, and urging those that do to stay out of pubs and house parties.

They won't, and we will see a surge in mid January.

I posted this on June 18th 2020. Only part I got wrong was when the surge would start.

Mehole Martin should be jailed for negligence, frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Mmartin is packing his suitcase for his leprechaun visit in over a months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Cerveza wrote: »
    Fill the media with this dung, dance a bit of a jig at Jerusalema. Winners for sure.

Ah now,c'mon it's not that bad.....yet ?

https://manueldelia.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Screen-Shot-2017-03-04-at-04.08.50.png

“Nothing is ever as simple as the government claims it is.”

If they can pick out anyone in the street who is peacefully going about their business and make them justify themselves and their being there, they can do it to you. Scratch that. They’ll do it to you next.

Now,where's that bódhrán ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Presumably with AZ seemingly less effective against the SA variant, we might properly impose some travel restrictions... hmm... no...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ficheall wrote: »
    Presumably with AZ seemingly less effective against the SA variant, we might properly impose some travel restrictions... hmm... no...?

We've seen a government willing to put the entire country under house arrest but not willing to limit inbound travel from abroad, despite it being obvious that every other effort to lower the spread can be obliviated by inbound travel from abroad

And the media doesnt ask why that is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ficheall wrote: »

I hadn't read that/heard that yet - depressing if so.
    Cases of it (related to travel) have been identified in Ireland.
    The media reports say HSE/HPHET believe cases of it here are "contained"...but one would have to wonder given lack of information/control over incoming travellers and fact that I'd imagine their sampling (if it is random?) may not pick it up generally until % of cases with this variant here go over a certain threshold.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-variants-ireland-5340285-Jan2021/

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I hadn't read that/heard that yet - depressing if so.
    Cases of it (related to travel) have been identified in Ireland.
    The media reports say HSE/HPHET believe cases of it here are "contained"...but one would have to wonder given lack of information/control over incoming travellers and fact that I'd imagine their sampling (if it is random?) may not pick it up generally until % of cases with this variant here go over a certain threshold.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-variants-ireland-5340285-Jan2021/

That sounds very like what was said when the first cases of Covid arrived here! No it won't be picked up until it becomes more prevalent, like before..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Quick question to see if I am doing the right thing - a person I work with her partner is coming from South Africa landed in Ireland today and they live together and she has said he won’t be able to self isolate because they don’t have the room and she is coming to work tomorrow am I wrong in saying this would have to be reported to hr?

Quick question to see if I am doing the right thing - a person I work with her partner is coming from South Africa landed in Ireland today and they live together and she has said he won’t be able to self isolate because they don’t have the room and she is coming to work tomorrow am I wrong in saying this would have to be reported to hr?

I thought mandatory quarantine from S Africa!

Jesus H Christ. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

saabsaab wrote: »
    I thought mandatory quarantine from S Africa!
    Is it not "mandatory" quarantine at a home address atm? i.e. not really enforced or mandatory....
    The actual enforced quarantine in a hotel hasn't been implemented yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Quote: CrazyChick18

Jesus H Christ. :mad:

Absolutely...AFAIK, Citywest is available for people that cannot isolate at home.

Quick question: Have all the full stops gone into mandatory quarantine?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-concern-as-5-200-irish-people-return-from-holidays-abroad-in-one-week-1.4481242

I'm starting to think this is just trolling by the Government allowing this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

What use is being concerned if they're going to do nothing about it? It's their own polices - or should I say lack of policies - that has allowed this ludicrious situation to continue.

At this point I genuinely think the only reason the Government are so against the idea of mandatory hotel quarantine is because they know they'll make a hames of it. There can be no other reason when it's so plainly obvious how necessary it is to keep the virus contained in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 humbahuwamba

I came through Dublin Airport on Monday on my way home. I saw a few garda cars parked around but inside the airport there were no checks, no questions asked. We had to show our test certs at the boarding gate - literally a quick glance from airline staff. Then we were allowed to board.

Airport was quiet, seemed to be mostly foreigners flying out. A flight to Poland seemed busy.

I saw an Irish woman in tears heading back towards the entrance. Presume she was denied boarding.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Lads look at the link below. This is what it looks like when a government knows what they’re doing.

It took TEN days for Bhutan to start taking the virus seriously. 15 days to start scanning at airports. 6 days to trace 300 contacts.

That’s what they did within 3 months:
    “It barred tourists, closed schools and public institutions, shut gyms and movie theaters, began flexible working hours, and relentlessly called for face masks, hand hygiene, and physical distancing.”

Maybe we should send someone over (who’ll quarantine for THREE weeks!) and we might learn something.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/02/coronavirus-pandemic-bhutan/617976/?utm_source=facebook&utm_term=2021-02-10T11%3A00%3A05&utm_medium=social&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&fbclid=IwAR3hHmnM_ZXhGW5cbtI1c1iwcCGznp6SxQxAtRyaH1WjVFjzmjH1vvur4EQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

20 more countries to be added to Ireland's mandatory hotel quarantine list https://jrnl.ie/5351005

Advertisement