Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

faceman wrote: »
    There are times I do think you are a genius and there are times I think you're trolling us :D

You're absolutely correct about mutual exclusion, this is something infectious disease experts have been talking about. They've also been flagging proportionality. You'd be hard pressed to find an infection disease expert who would be clapping at RTE chasing dentists in Tenerife (The dentist Claire Byrne spoke with today made reference to 2 Irish bookings). That's hardly a national crisis, even if those bookings aren't legimate. (And if they're not fcuk those people who did it)

We have wider issues with treatment of confirmed cases and close contacts. The so called "black market" economy at present of builders and house dressers etc doing house calls. Lets be honest, the more we shine the spotlight on ourselves, the uglier we look in the light. No one wants to talk about mandatory quarantine of close contacts and confirmed cases because it effects everyone whether they like it or not.

You think I'm a "genius" - Ah jeez shucks I don't know what to say :D:

Hmm but let me see - the Thread Title is and I quote
    Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Not the "black market" or "contract tracing"

Any likley "trolling" i reckon would be from the "there's nothing to see here" contingent tbf.

Btw who is this "we" and "us" kemosabe? :pac:

And I'd disagree - there's plenty of talk and news reports on a whole host of other issues. The dental treatment thing is because its topical today. Next week it will be something else. And talking about the media here not "infection disease experts" though they do seem to get occasionally interviewed.

That said the howls of outrage from those insisting on their rights to head off on holiday - right here - right - now are most amusing. Not yourself of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gozunda wrote: »
    You think I'm a "genius" - Ah jeez shucks I don't know what to say :D:

Hmm but let me see - the Thread Title is and I quote

Not the "black market" or "contract tracing"

Any likley "trolling" i reckon would be from the "there's nothing to see here" contingent tbf.

Btw who is this "we" and "us" kemosabe? :pac:

And I'd disagree - there's plenty of talk and news reports on a whole host of other issues. The dental treatment thing is because its topical today. Next week it will be something else. And talking about the media here not "infection disease experts" though they do seem to get occasionally interviewed.

That said the howls of outrage from those insisting on their rights to head off on holiday - right here - right - now are most amusing. Not yourself of course.

We are all misunderstood geniuses!

Re the dentist stuff, the dentist featured on Claire Byrne had an influx of enquiries from Ireland wanting to book after the segment was aired. They’ve since introduced deposits thankfully.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40225595.html

We are all misunderstood geniuses!

Re the dentist stuff, the dentist featured on Claire Byrne had an influx of enquiries from Ireland wanting to book after the segment was aired. They’ve since introduced deposits thankfully.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40225595.html

If they make the deposits less than €2k, they'll rake them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

MOH wrote: »
    Please cite a reference of a country with a land border in which it's worked. If there's burning rats running through a hole in your wall you're going to end up with a flaming kitchen full of them.

Zero covid is a nonsense idea for this country, but the border is still a red herring as far as implementing restrictions goes..
    If we're going to use spurious analogies, you can keep a leaky boat from sinking by bailing it out. Your feet aren't going to be try, there's still going to be a fair bit of water getting into the boat, but at least the whole thing isn't going to go under.

There's been an strong reluctance on the government's part to implement any kind of travel restrictions, and now they're finally being forced into it they're throwing out every excuse and distraction they can think of, most of which are nonsense:
    - it's no good because the border: 80%+ of arrivals onto the island arrive at airports in the republic. You'll still get cases coming in over the border, but so what. You'll be controlling those 80% of incoming cases, as opposed to 0%. Not everyone follows exisitng restrictions, we don't just go "oh well, might as well bin them so"
    - we can't bring in travel restrictions because it will be very hard to get rid of them: pure nonsense there from Leo
    - we can't bring in quarantine because we need to examine the legal implications: so even after 50%+ of our cases in autumn were a new strain that emerged in Spain over the summer, nobody in authority thought "what if there's another new strain that's far more contagious/deadly? maybe we'd better have a contingency plan for restricting travel, and have a look at what would be needed for that"
    - oh hang on, we couldn't, because the government didn't know that Covid could mutate. Another gem from Leo, who's somehow become even less credible than Trump.

So instead of having a contingency plan in place, and implementing it, like a competent government, they've fallen back on the old reliable of blaming and shaming the general public. Which the media are only too happy to go along with instead of asking any probing question. Or even any questions at all.
    And instead of restricting inbound travel, they've shifted the focus to outbound travel, which will do absolutely nothing to help. I could understand it if they actually had a quarantine system in place, and wanted to avoid it being overwhelmed by returning holidaymakers. Or even if they fined inbound passengers if they couldn't show that their journey was necessary. But fining people outbound is highly disturbing.

It says everything that they're far quicker to give a regular breakdown of how many people return to the country every day are Irish, than they were to give regular figures on the number of people vaccinated.
    I'd be curious as to how many people being harangued at Dublin airport over the past week or two were already abroad before the fatwa on holiday was introduced.

Plus I must have missed the bit where they guaranteed prompt refunds for anyone who cancelled their holiday. Which if it was a coherent plan as opposed to a knee-jerk panic reaction would have been an obvious way to get buy-in from people being asked to cancel months-planned holiday at the last second.

Vietnam, Brunei

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Vietnam, Brunei

Vietnam's had hundreds of cases over the last few weeks.

Brunei, admittedly, does appear to have almost zero cases.
    And while most of the documents are in Malay, if their FAQ is up to date they've banned foreign travel since last March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

10,500 came back from a holiday over the last 2 weeks.

Haha what a joke this whole thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Accept it? People here love it because they see the other option is living like a rat scurrying from hole to hole for months on end, Melbourne got a taste of this and thankfully the rest of us watched it on TV and said No Thanks!!

We have seen that living with covid has failed around the world, living without covid is the only other option sure you get the odd case pop up but you knock it on the head in a few days for a country of 25m and you 14 day average is 0.7 cases (0.0028 per 100,000) it’s not too shabby.

Morrison said last March this would 18 months maybe 2 years, no way could we have survived being closed that length of time. In Sydney we had a taste of that last April/May and part of June and although it was enough tame compared to what my folks and friends in Ireland were doing ...eh No Thanks!!

*NARRATOR*

"Within 24 hours of this post Melbourne was plunged into a snap lockdown"
    “We must assume that there are further cases in the community than we have positive results for, and that it is moving at a velocity that has not been seen anywhere in our country over the course of these last 12 months,” Andrews told reporters.

Victorians will only be permitted to leave their homes for four reasons: shopping for essential items, essential work, exercise for two hours a day, or caregiving for compassionate reasons. Masks are also compulsory outside the home and a 5km radius ban has been imposed on movement.

So much for the Australian approach then. If a remote island continent in the South Pacific can't pull it off then maybe it's time for people to be more realistic in these parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

unreal.

a certain group are going to turkey for tit jobs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Anyone know why Mauritius are on the category 2 list? They’ve had 26 cases since January and their population is over 1.2m. I can’t find any info about mutant strains. Something isn’t right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

unreal.

a certain group are going to turkey for tit jobs

Pictures or gtfoh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Anyone know why Mauritius are on the category 2 list? They’ve had 26 cases since January and their population is over 1.2m. I can’t find any info about mutant strains. Something isn’t right

Yeah they've done the impossible and implemented mandatory hotel quarantine. ZERO COVID cases in the community. Seems the UK put them on the list due to a dispute about chagos islands military base and the department of foreign affairs didn't look into it. :pac: Given we've a similar territorial dispute over an island (rockall) you'd think we side with them over UK.

Could also be tit for tat as they've banned UK flights since the super mutant ninja Kent strain emerged.

UAE is a hub for travel globally and that's on the list. Does it include stop overs?

Very confusing.

https://twitter.com/bindiiq/status/1359783997241511937?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've a friend who works security in the dublin airport, he said half the people departing today had come via Dubai and were transiting on to the UK.

He also confirmed the Howrya girlos going for boob, bum and teeth jobs in Turkey

Specifically more than 10,000 Irish residents returned from holidays or visits abroad in the last two and half weeks ...

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1196765/

Yeah they've done the impossible and implemented mandatory hotel quarantine. ZERO COVID cases in the community. Seems the UK put them on the list due to a dispute about chagos islands military base and the department of foreign affairs didn't look into it. :pac: Given we've a similar territorial dispute over an island (rockall) you'd think we side with them over UK.

Could also be tit for tat as they've banned UK flights since the super mutant ninja Kent strain emerged.

UAE is a hub for travel globally and that's on the list. Does it include stop overs?

Very confusing.

https://twitter.com/bindiiq/status/1359783997241511937?s=20

Jesus wept. Regardless of my stance on quarantine hotels, this is outrageous that Ireland hasn’t performed a due diligence. I would have thought the CMO or NPHET was behind the list in partnership with their U.K. counterparts?

Jesus wept. Regardless of my stance on quarantine hotels, this is outrageous that Ireland hasn’t performed a due diligence. I would have thought the CMO or NPHET was behind the list in partnership with their U.K. counterparts?

Do you want to ring Joe Duffy tomorrow or will I?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

He doesn’t work Saturday!

He doesn’t work Saturday!

Thanks I would have been on hold for ages! :eek:

On to him right now setting it up! We’re on after the slot on “the binmen leave my bin too far from the kerb”

On to him right now setting it up! We’re on after the slot on “the binmen leave my bin too far from the kerb”

Great stuff I think there's three of us now. Don't know who this old fella is but he's keen to point out the hypocrisy.

"Ah Joe, the poor chagoians, kicked off their land to make room for an imperial Death Star.....shocking stuff altogether."

https://twitter.com/ScotReal/status/1359887035402760200?s=20

You might want to whoa up the horses there a bit before going galloping off into the sunset tbh.

Other media sources including the BBC have detailed that countries such as"Botswana, and the islands of Seychelles and Mauritius, are being removed from the UK list of safe travel corridors as there is a high frequency of travel between the islands and South Africa"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55579682

Funnilly enough Austria is now on Irelands own ban list because of the high prevalence of the SA variant there - whilst Austria had banned flights from the UK due to high risk of the Kent variant.

Things are getting complicated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Surely the due diligence would fall under the DFA's remit, can't expect NPHET to handle everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This thread makes for great reading if you start at the start.

You might want to whoa up the horses there a bit before going galloping off into the sunset tbh.

Other media sources including the BBC have detailed that countries such as"Botswana, and the islands of Seychelles and Mauritius, are being removed from the UK list of safe travel corridors as there is a high frequency of travel between the islands and South Africa"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55579682

Funnilly enough Austria is now on Irelands own ban list because of the high prevalence of the SA variant there - whilst Austria had banned flights from the UK due to high risk of the Kent variant.

Things are getting complicated...

Don't believe everything you read. They banned anyone from South Africa since December 21st and have no plans to reverse it. In fact they've extended it. With people from South Africa banned from entering I'm not sure how it could be described as frequent. I'd say it has something to do with the court ruling against the British Empire.

They completely closed their border on the 18th of march after 3 cases. :eek: They only reopened on 1st of October.
    That's on top of the measures for arrivals from every and any country in the world. Which some here would describe as draconian but then again their kids are in school so different priorities I guess.
    Event
    Authorities in Mauritius have extended their entry ban for travelers from the UK, South Africa, Japan, and Brazil through at least Feb. 28; the measure originally entered into effect Dec. 21 due to concerns regarding the spread of a newly discovered strain of coronavirus disease (COVID-19). All other pandemic-related travel restrictions and internal measures remain mostly unchanged.

International TravelA phased reopening of the country's borders is underway. Under Phase 2 of the country's three-phase reopening plan, Mauritian nationals, legal residents, individuals working in Mauritius, and long-term tourists from approved countries are allowed to enter Mauritius.
      [*]Travelers to Mauritius must present proof of having tested negative for COVID-19 using a test taken no more than seven days before arrival in the country.
      [*]Arriving travelers must quarantine for at least 14 days at a government-approved hotel.
      [*]Individuals arriving in the country must also take at least three COVID-19 tests - one on arrival, a second on day seven of their stay in Mauritius, and the third test on day 14.
      [*]Travelers who test positive will be transferred to a government-run medical facility.
      [*]All travel bookings are centralized at the Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) website.

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/435341/mauritius-officials-extend-ban-entry-for-travelers-from-the-uk-south-africa-japan-and-brazil-through-feb-28-update-14

Don't believe everything you read. They banned anyone from South Africa since December 21st and have no plans to reverse it. In fact they've extended it. With people from South Africa banned from entering I'm not sure how it could be described as frequent. I'd say it has something to do with the court ruling against the British Empire.

They completely closed their border on the 18th of march after 3 cases. :eek: They only reopened on 1st of October.
      That's on top of the measures for arrivals from every and any country in the world. Which some here would describe as draconian but then again their kids are in school so different priorities I guess.

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/435341/mauritius-officials-extend-ban-entry-for-travelers-from-the-uk-south-africa-japan-and-brazil-through-feb-28-update-14

This
      The Government of Mauritius has, in response to the COVID-19 situation, advised that individuals who have been in the UK within the previous 14 days will not be allowed entry to Mauritius. On 25 January 2021, the Government of Mauritius announced that this measure will be in force until at least 28 February 2021.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mauritius

So the situation at the moment is that the UK has banned people travelling from Mauritius and Mauritius has banned people travelling from the UK...

Pandemic restrictions / tit for tat / diplomatic shenanigans or a combination of one or more of the above?

This

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mauritius

So the situation at the moment is that the UK has banned people travelling from Mauritius and Mauritius has banned people travelling from the UK...

Pandemic restrictions / tit for tat / diplomatic shenanigans or a combination of one or more of the above?

I wonder how Mary Lou feels about all this. Ireland copying the U.K. all over a territory dispute. #triggered

I wonder how Mary Lou feels about all this. Ireland copying the U.K. all over a territory dispute. #triggered

Reckon its possibly more to do with the fact Ireland shares a Common Travel Area with the UK. As recently as last week we've had UK travellers use Ireland as a dodge to swan off to Dubai and other places. That loophole is now close afaik.

No idea about Mary lou. You reckon she is triggered? I dunno about that but she was advocating that friendly relations between the UK and here - should mean that the UK should give Ireland vaccines

Reckon its possibly more to do with the fact Ireland shares a Common Travel Area with the UK. As recently as last week we've had UK travellers use Ireland as a dodge to swan off to Dubai and other places. That loophole is now close afaik.

No idea about Mary lou. You reckon she is triggered? I dunno about that but she was advocating that friendly relations between the UK and here - should mean that the UK should give Ireland vaccines

Yeah you are probably right. If it were left open it Dublin airport would be back door central. It really looks like a bull**** move from the UK. I imagine there are tonnes of Mauritians living there. I guess people are circumventing the rules anyway by going via third countries and staying there two weeks etc.

It's just very Ironic that Ireland is blocking travel from an Island with no cases and who just happens to be winning a territorial dispute against our common, former colonial master.

Mad world right now.

I guess people are circumventing the rules anyway by going via third countries and staying there two weeks etc.

Going to a third country to stay two weeks to avoid a mandatory quarantine isn’t circumventing any rules (given the the word generally implies deception). It’s perfectly allowed and you’d have no obligation to declare where you were before those two weeks.

Transiting through a third country WITHOUT staying two weeks would be circumventing the rules

Going to a third country to stay two weeks to avoid a mandatory quarantine isn’t circumventing any rules (given the the word generally implies deception). It’s perfectly allowed and you’d have no obligation to declare where you were before those two weeks.

Transiting through a third country WITHOUT staying two weeks would be circumventing the rules

I get what you are saying but I was trying to imply that. I was using in the literal sense. It doesn't imply deception. You can legally or morally circumvent something in a clever way without being dishonest.

Spending two weeks in a third country particularly clever and isn't a problem unless an infection lasts longer which would be rare I guess but that's why we have the tests etc.

Booking a dentist in Tenerife and not showing up is a different story.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is strong public and political support for compulsory quarantining of travelers in designated facilities/hotels who have tested negative for COVID pre-arrival in Ireland.

One would think the risk of infection among this cohort is extremely low.

Yet there is no legislation for enforced quarantine of positive cases or their close contacts.

Surely there is something missing here?

Would it not be hugely more significant to place enforced quarantine on confirmed positive cases and their close contacts in designated facilities? These people have tested positive for the virus or have been very close to a close contact but yet are free to do what they want with no legislation against them?

It just seems bizarre from where I am viewing things.

So are boardies in support of enforced quarantine in designated facilities for quarantine positive cases and their close contacts? If so, why not? Are you in support of enforced quarantine of inbound travelers in designated facilities who have confirmed negative covid tests pre-arrival?

Advertisement