Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Lives vs money. Money will always win.

Are you happy enough to grow Roosters in the back garden?

gral6 wrote: »
    Are you happy enough to grow Roosters in the back garden?

I bought roosters all the way through lockdown.

I bought roosters all the way through lockdown.

I know, we can borrow more. The rates are good now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It would keep fuc.. all open. Get some fresh air, it helps.

Dont have to go away for fresh air:)

Hotels, Airbnb and campsites are booked out with staycations

Hotels, Airbnb and campsites are booked out with staycations

Really? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I asked about a month ago for the govt to have a no fly list of covid 19 countries where it is over a certain level.

It is STILL not in place :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I asked about a month ago for the govt to have a no fly list of covid 19 countries where it is over a certain level.

It is STILL not in place :(
    Cool your jets! It's coming next week for July 20. It made more sense to wait as long as possible to see where countries are now before deciding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Correct, I can't see anywhere which says that the 15 new cases came from someone who travelled here through Dublin airport, Ferryport, across the border from the North.
    Was it a returning fruit picker, was it a politician, an Irish nurse coming home to visit family after working the past 6 months in an NHS hospital..? You just don't know!

To suggest closing down the transport infrastructure and blocking all entry points with burning tyres and pitchforks or something just means those who suggest it need to stop cocooning and get some outside air for a change.

There is no need for such hysteria. This virus is escalating again here mostly through travel. That needs to be acknowledged, and was totally inevitable.

But we have to wait for the Green corridors to be announced. Meanwhile anyone can come in. That's great.

UK and US to my mind are the current vectors. But the new Admin is terrified of upsetting either country. US is a basket case, and UK inward travel doesn't just mean Irish abroad coming home to visit Mammy. UK is a hub for many countries.

And when you get to the airport, are there any checks on arrival? Apart from a flimsy bit of paper I doubt it.

CV all kicked off here through International Travel. It spread around the world within weeks. Would be wise to remember that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

They can't shut the UK out unless they put up a border and revoke the common travel agreement. Obviously that's not going to happen.

We Ireland =UK with regards to travel.
    All of Europe could ban the UK except Ireland.

All present restrictions can be circumvented by crossing the border in the North. Fact is due to the GFA and the border issue Ireland can't control its own destiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Limpy wrote: »
    All of Europe could ban the UK except Ireland. .

Ireland will get included in these bans as we're not in the Schengen travel area and we have a shared border with the UK and the CTA, so people should be careful what they wish for...

Thanks god there is no mandatory quarantine here in Ireland ! Not everyone has gone crazy yet because of fresh air lack in this country!

Limpy wrote: »
    They can't shut the UK out unless they put up a border and revoke the common travel agreement. Obviously that's not going to happen.

All of Europe could ban the UK except Ireland.

All present restrictions can be circumvented by crossing the border in the North. Fact is due to the GFA and the border issue Ireland can't control its own destiny.

Well NI would never have the same number of arrivals as ROI does, so it's easy for them to say their 14 day quarantine no longer applies.

My spidey feeling is they are trying to hang us out to dry or something. But it may not come to that. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

UK and US to my mind are the current vectors. But the new Admin is terrified of upsetting either country. US is a basket case, and UK inward travel doesn't just mean Irish abroad coming home to visit Mammy. UK is a hub for many countries.

And when you get to the airport, are there any checks on arrival? Apart from a flimsy bit of paper I doubt it.

CV all kicked off here through International Travel. It spread around the world within weeks. Would be wise to remember that.

I commented earlier on this thread about the prevalence of the virus in the UK. At the moment about 1 in 2942 people have coronavirus based on the latest figures from the KCL coronavirus tracker. That's rather small.

I'm not in disagreement that travel should only be for necessary purposes, but the idea that the UK is a significant "vector" for the virus seems to be false in my mind.

I commented earlier on this thread about the prevalence of the virus in the UK. At the moment about 1 in 2942 people have coronavirus based on the latest figures from the KCL coronavirus tracker. That's rather small.

I'm not in disagreement that travel should only be for necessary purposes, but the idea that the UK is a significant "vector" for the virus seems to be false in my mind.

It is because it introduces lots of world travellers using Uk as a hub. And there is US, Sweden, Brazil (lots here, how do they get here?) and many other places besides.

They can stay away for now, but that is not going to be our decision, and the new Gov cannot make a decision either! So we have an indecisive Gov and a pandemic. Don't know which is worse at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

It is, as is US, Sweden, Brazil (lots here, how do they get here?) and many other places besides.

They can stay away for now, but that is not going to be our decision, and the new Gov cannot make a decision either! So we have an indecisive Gov and a pandemic. Don't know which is worse at the moment.

I think comparing the UK to the US, Sweden and Brazil is incorrect. I think looking at the figures and the curves of infection will tell you why. Perhaps you can tell me why you think it is a bed fellow with these in respect to the virus.

So we have an indecisive Gov and a pandemic.

Are 16 cases a day a pandemic? :D

That's not the issue, it's the rate it can increase so quickly like before.

75% cases are under 25, we need to identify where its occurring and not open the pubs till back under 1.

Spain and France are showing signs of an Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hmmm not sure if serious. That 16 cases in real terms could be translated to as much as 200 at this point allowing for the other 184 cases yet to be diagnosed.

That is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

75% cases are under 25, we need to identify where its occurring and not open the pubs till back under 1.

Current R rate wont feed into decision making, this has been as good as confirmed by Prof nolan. He stated only last week and confirmed again today with low case numbers R will rise, this was expected, you can't give accurate analysis using the R value when cases are low. Its basic data analysis when using a restricted base data set.

As stated by Dr Glynn they're identifying clusters here and its nothing they didn't expect, majority are private houses involved while there is also clusters appearing again amongst healthcare staff in nursing homes.

Spain have identified clusters and are implementing measures based on said clusters, likewise in France and they're reporting a large number of cases from their overseas territories.

But all of the above is off topic for this thread. Just pointing out lots can be explained when you look into them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

State of Victoria pop 6.3m (Melbourne 4.9m) 7 day moving average tests 25K per day

Jun 7 - 4
    Jun 8 - 2
    Jun 9 - 0
    Jun 10 - 4
    Jun 11 - 10
    Jun 12 - 4
    Jun 13 - 8
    Jun 14 - 9
    Jun 15 - 12
    Jun 16 - 9
    Jun 17 - 21
    Jun 18 - 18
    Jun 19 - 13
    Jun 20 - 25
    Jun 21 - 19
    Jun 22 - 16
    Jun 23 - 17
    Jun 24 - 20
    Jun 25 - 33
    Jun 26 - 30
    Jun 27 - 41
    Jun 28 - 49
    Jun 29 - 75
    Jun 30 - 64
    Jul 1 - 73
    Jul 2 - 77
    Jul 3 - 66
    Jul 4 - 108
    Jul 5 - 74
    Jul 6 - 127
    Jul 7 - 191
    Jul 8 - 134
    Jul 9 - 165

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hmmm not sure if serious. That 16 cases in real terms could be translated to as much as 200 at this point allowing for the other 184 cases yet to be diagnosed.

That is a problem.

You are wasting your time. Some just don't want to hear it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What now? Can’t comment on France but what is “signs of an Italy” and what are Spain doing?

The outbreak of the coronavirus at meat plants will be under scrutiny when the Oireachtas Special Committee on Covid-19 Response meets today.

Let's close all fuc... airports, it will help to prevent clusters at the meat factories

Current R rate wont feed into decision making, this has been as good as confirmed by Prof nolan. He stated only last week and confirmed again today with low case numbers R will rise, this was expected, you can't give accurate analysis using the R value when cases are low. Its basic data analysis when using a restricted base data set.

As stated by Dr Glynn they're identifying clusters here and its nothing they didn't expect, majority are private houses involved while there is also clusters appearing again amongst healthcare staff in nursing homes.

Spain have identified clusters and are implementing measures based on said clusters, likewise in France and they're reporting a large number of cases from their overseas territories.

But all of the above is off topic for this thread. Just pointing out lots can be explained when you look into them

Read it again, majority of cases are under 25 of age, not nursing homes.

Quote from prof glynn:
    "All of the 23 new cases of Covid-19 that were reported yesterday occurred in people aged under 44, and 77% involved people under the age of 25. "

This is the worrying stat

faceman wrote: »
    What now? Can’t comment on France but what is “signs of an Italy” and what are Spain doing?

Spain have struggled to get their numbers under 300, mostly over 400 this week, had two big local lockdown, closed 55 beaches due to.social distancing and now compulsory to wear masks in public in most parts of spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It won't be from the air our downfall will come from the sea

There will be a record number of U.K. reg cars in this country this summer

ChikiChiki wrote: »

That is a problem.

They are shouting about it now so that doesn't happen. If it happens we are heading back to march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Mention earlier in this thread to pass legislation stopping Irish citizens from returning home is absurd. I'd agree that there should be mandatory, enforced quarantine in designated facilities for anyone entering the country, including citizens. But you can't block people from returning home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

France's numbers are skewed because they include French Guiana, which is in South America. Nearly half of cases in "France" are there, even though it only has a population of 300k.

What are you talking about?

Advertisement