Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

gozunda wrote: »
    If they're engaged in saying fek ya when there is an active advisory against travel for holiday or other leisure purposes and sneaking off to Belfast onto go on holidays - whilst in the UK it is still illegal to travel for the same purposes, you honestly believe the same cohort have any respect for any other restrictions or will bother their arse with quarantine?

It boils down to this - Two wrongs don’t make a right - Its a thing called responsibility. Giving the gubbermint the two fingers and going off on holiday as a selfless protest really doesn't wash.

And personally I've called for restrictions >both< ways. And yet I'm not insisting in my rights to go on holiday. And I feking love to go on holiday. But no I'm not going to be one of those eejits. And the rest of us have every right to call them out. Personally I'd give them jail time.

It's pathetic to see the number of grown adults foaming at the mouth blaming everyone else as an excuse to go for their annual dose of sun, sangria and stds.

So by your logic, somebody who went on holiday in early January the day before the government decided to use holidays as their latest scapegoat, who had no intention of quarantining since no such mandatory requirement was in place, is fine.

But somebody going the next day after the government campaign against holidays began, prepared to quarantine when they got home until they'd received a proven negative test (despite this still not being a mandatory requirement at the time) is an eejit giving the gubbermint the two fingers and deserves to be "called out" and sent to jail.

With logic like that it's easy to see how we've ended up in this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’ve been all for travel restrictions and testing / quarantine at airports for a long time.

But I’m fairly certain that by the time the government actually enact it then it will be pointless (and unworkable) and the majority of people flying into and out of Ireland will have been vaccinated.

When the dust settles the lack of control regarding travel will be top of the list for glaringly obvious Government mistakes in their reaction to the pandemic, closely followed by the handling of Nursing homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Richard stirring the sh1te

Focus on the real issues Richie. Vaccines buddy, vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

faceman wrote: »
    Richard stirring the sh1te

Focus on the real issues Richie. Vaccines buddy, vaccines.

With 90something % of people still unvaccinated travel is still very relevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Using the -14% figure is serious scaremongering, I assume that's the month on month figure.

Why not give the year on year figure which paint the true picture of international travel?

over 90% reduction compared to the same period in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MOH wrote: »
    So by your logic, somebody who went on holiday in early January the day before the government decided to use holidays as their latest scapegoat, who had no intention of quarantining since no such mandatory requirement was in place, is fine.

But somebody going the next day after the government campaign against holidays began, prepared to quarantine when they got home until they'd received a proven negative test (despite this still not being a mandatory requirement at the time) is an eejit giving the gubbermint the two fingers and deserves to be "called out" and sent to jail.

With logic like that it's easy to see how we've ended up in this mess.

No. Not my logic. At all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

And so the walk back on it begins before it was ever implemented

Covid-19: Policing Authority not in favour of Garda role in hotel quarantine Chairman notes ‘sharp disparity’ between those obeying health regulations and those going on non-essential international travel

Full article is behind a paywall https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-policing-authority-not-in-favour-of-garda-role-in-hotel-quarantine-1.4493857?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fcovid-19-policing-authority-not-in-favour-of-garda-role-in-hotel-quarantine-1.4493857

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

faceman wrote: »
    Here's a final scary thought. Ireland does not have a proper public health function. Ireland has created no consultant public health contracts during the pandemic nor increased the public health budget. For roles advertised, doctors aren't applying. The system is broken. Despite the spend on health in Ireland, we spend very little on public health. Public health budget is smaller than some individual functions in hospitals.

But while everyone chats quarantine hotels, the bigger issues with the pandemic and public health get off scot free. Namely vaccines, Ireland's broken public health function (this is not the same as the health service) and inadequate contact tracing.

You and I dont always see eye to eye but you're a smart dude. Wrap this all up and who is protecting who here?

Should be a Sticky !

The HSE machine is no better today for our 12 months of "sacrifice" and "being in it together",than it was on Day 1 of COVID-19.

£12 per Vaccine to UK Doctors
    €60 per vaccine to Irish Doctors

Probably answers your last question on that post....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Holiday??? Theres absolutely nothing open. All the pubs, restaurants and tourist spots are bolted shut so why on earth would you even come here since there is fcuk all to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Holiday??? Theres absolutely nothing open. All the pubs, restaurants and tourist spots are bolted shut so why on earth would you even come here since there is fcuk all to do.

I believe that's the general idea atm ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Read the tweet again, the six and a half thousand people coming home who are Irish residents were asked why they travelled. They are saying they travelled for "holiday/visit, work/business, visit sick relative, medical, funeral", not that they are arriving in Ireland for those things, but returning from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Lots of people who work and live abroad have places here they own as either places they own here and moved abroad for work, others have holiday homes for family use only.
    I think these people should be allowed travel with rigid conditions.
    They arrive by plane and use family car/hired car to travel to their place.
    They need yo quarintine for the period as per Covid rules here.
    I also think EU should make it law that each Country are on the same page.
    As see it we should have a type of document like boarding pass where flights originate in EU, if we do not have this we not allowed on the plane just as if we not have boarding pass.
    I witnessed this last Month when Ryanair staff questioned type of Covid test passenger had travelling to Dublin.
    However it was not their job to enforce so the person got on the plane, i have no idea what happened in Dublin on arrival.
    For me EU need to get seriously involved in EU travel rules and not have so much confusion.
    We ar continually told EU law/directive, now that we need direction... where is it??

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    These are strange times we're living in

I think it was a set-up as the guy recording was going to be late for work.
    It looked more like acting than real Gardai at work...

Mandatory quarantine on all countries gets a No vote

EvFilRpXEAMRqrJ?format=jpg&name=large

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Mandatory quarantine on all countries gets a No vote

EvFilRpXEAMRqrJ?format=jpg&name=large

What a waste of time...

They are voting for something and no facilities there to do any quarintine for the countries where most needed...

Are we eejits???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What a waste of time...

They are voting for something and no facilities there to do any quarintine for the countries where most needed...

Are we eejits???

Is there not loads of empty hotels. Will probably boost employment in the sector when it's rolled out.

Is there not loads of empty hotels. Will probably boost employment in the sector when it's rolled out.

That is exactly what i have being saying.... its all political waffle...
    "bring back (your a waffler) Bertie"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That is exactly what i have being saying.... its all political waffle...
    "bring back (your a waffler) Bertie"..

Yeah there'll be a lot of manpower required. People will have to be bused, swabs will have to be taken, they'll have to be fed etc. Depending on how many are in quarantine at anyone time that'll be thousands of people working who maybe wouldn't have been.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well this is a depressing read. As we were already warned, once we go down this path it’s hard to go back. You can rule out visits to Oz or NZ for years now.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/a-year-into-the-pandemic-air-travel-quarantines-are-getting-longer-and-lonelier-40132543.html

Yeah there'll be a lot of manpower required. People will have to be bused, swabs will have to be taken, they'll have to be fed etc. Depending on how many are in quarantine at anyone time that'll be thousands of people working who maybe wouldn't have been.

Thats exactly my point. a Dail vote about quarintine "all countries" when they have not done what theyb said be done over a Month ago.
    I think if they say we are going to do something it needs be done at some level.
    The other thing is a side show... to cover there is nothing being done....

Thats exactly my point. a Dail vote about quarintine "all countries" when they have not done what theyb said be done over a Month ago.
    I think if they say we are going to do something it needs be done at some level.
    The other thing is a side show... to cover there is nothing being done....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Cookery school owned by Darina Allen closed as gardai investigate potential Covid breach https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/cookery-school-owned-darina-allen-23564541?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Allen was conducting a cooking classes for 9 foreign travellers who she said had travelled here before level 5 lockdown was announced? in early December? did these people not know that level 5 was constant probability? and an even higher probability for January

I actually don't think what the school did was such a bad thing letting the people live there and continue classes, the problem is the people themselves should not have traveled here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://www.thejournal.ie/new-variant-5365655-Feb2021/
    Dr Cillian De Gascun, director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory confirmed one case of the B.1.525 variant of the virus has now been identified in Ireland. The UK has recently reported a number of cases of this new variant and there have been cases identified in five other European countries.

De Gascun said the variant has been associated with travel from sub-saharan Africa

Well done lads, how many is that now since the turn of the year - three is it? Yes THREE new variants have been detected here since early January.

But I suppose it's all the hairdressers going house to house is causing these variants to just waltz on in off a plane! :D

Danno wrote: »

Well done lads, how many is that now since the turn of the year - three is it? Yes THREE new variants have been detected here since early January.

But I suppose it's all the hairdressers going house to house is causing these variants to just waltz on in off a plane! :D

3? That’s not bad given there are 4,000 variants of Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Cookery school owned by Darina Allen closed as gardai investigate potential Covid breach https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/cookery-school-owned-darina-allen-23564541?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Allen was conducting a cooking classes for 9 foreign travellers who she said had travelled here before level 5 lockdown was announced? in early December? did these people not know that level 5 was constant probability? and an even higher probability for January

I actually don't think what the school did was such a bad thing letting the people live there and continue classes, the problem is the people themselves should not have traveled here.

To think it's only the 3rd most serious thing they have ever had to call up that way about :pac: There's families named McDonagh and Mongan who see the guards less.

I travelled out and returned out and back aroun this exact time so no problem there, i think the rule at the time was stay in County, i think if carrying a boarding pass was good enough reason, if i was stopped on route i would have went home if it was confirmed i need do this.
    I think the only possible problem in this instance be in the actual school and distance which i expect ok.
    Great free publicity...

Danno wrote: »

He said the reason officials are “particularly concerned” about it is because it contains the E414K amino acid change which has been associated with a reduced response to neutralising antibodies. This could mean a potential impact on vaccine effectiveness.

“And it also possesses a deletion in the spike protein which has been associated with increased transmissibility. That’s an amino acid change also shared by B117, the variant first reported in the UK,” he explained.

Eh, yerra it will be another month before mandatory hotel quarantine lads. We must run it by the Seanad first.

What a pathetic sideshow.

• Advertisement

He said the reason officials are “particularly concerned” about it is because it contains the E414K amino acid change which has been associated with a reduced response to neutralising antibodies. This could mean a potential impact on vaccine effectiveness.

“And it also possesses a deletion in the spike protein which has been associated with increased transmissibility. That’s an amino acid change also shared by B117, the variant first reported in the UK,” he explained.

Eh, yerra it will be another month before mandatory hotel quarantine lads. We must run it by the Seanad first.

What a pathetic sideshow.

There was a Dail vote today on who to quarantine today so surely we need to have at least one person in quarantine if we need to have a vote as to add all foreign people coming in??

Advertisement