Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

They are shouting about it now so that doesn't happen. If it happens we are heading back to march.

You are still there, try to get some fresh air :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Spain have struggled to get their numbers under 300, mostly over 400 this week, had two big local lockdown, closed 55 beaches due to.social distancing and now compulsory to wear masks in public in most parts of spain

Your 55 beaches were reopened within 24 hours.
    But the media did not do a great job reporting this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Read it again, majority of cases are under 25 of age, not nursing homes.

Quote from prof glynn:
    "All of the 23 new cases of Covid-19 that were reported yesterday occurred in people aged under 44, and 77% involved people under the age of 25. "

This is the worrying stat

That isn't worrying in one way. At least those who are under 25 have a far greater chance of recovering from the virus than those who are over 70.

However, it is worrying in another way. Younger people are causing the spread of the infection in the US, and I guess in turn are passing it on to older people they may live with or be in contact with.
    It won't be from the air our downfall will come from the sea

There will be a record number of U.K. reg cars in this country this summer

This is another unfounded claim. I get the argument to say that travel should only be for essential reasons. This is part of the reason why I'm not coming back to Ireland in the summer, and the reason why my family won't be attending my wedding in England.

However, 1 in nearly 3000 people have this virus in the UK. Most of whom are probably already self-isolating. The odds of bumping into someone with COVID-19 even within Britain are pretty low at this stage. It is even more improbable that one of those people will come to Ireland.

This thread is more full of fear mongering than facts at this stage. As I said in one of my original posts I definitely won't be coming to Ireland when this attitude prevails amongst a significant number. Don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ZX7R wrote: »
    Your 55 beaches were reopened within 24 hours.
    But the media did not do a great job reporting this!

Yes they were, but any potential damage was already done. They also put some regions in lockdown

That isn't worrying in one way. At least those who are under 25 have a far greater chance of recovering from the virus than those who are over 70.

However, it is worrying in another way. Younger people are causing the spread of the infection in the US, and I guess in turn are passing it on to older people they may live with or be in contact with.

This is another unfounded claim. I get the argument to say that travel should only be for essential reasons. This is part of the reason why I'm not coming back to Ireland in the summer, and the reason why my family won't be attending my wedding in England.

However, 1 in nearly 3000 people have this virus in the UK. Most of whom are probably already self-isolating. The odds of bumping into someone with COVID-19 even within Britain are pretty low at this stage. It is even more improbable that one of those people will come to Ireland.

This thread is more full of fear mongering than facts at this stage. As I said in one of my original posts I definitely won't be coming to Ireland when this attitude prevails amongst a significant number. Don't worry.

Are the uk still only testing when admitted to hospital? If so no one knows the uk numbers?

The worrying thing about the under 25 is are they self isolating? If so that is great, if not its worrying.

No problem with people going on hols once they self isolate when they come back and act responsible when away

• Advertisement

Are the uk still only testing when admitted to hospital? If so no one knows the uk numbers?

The worrying thing about the under 25 is are they self isolating? If so that is great, if not its worrying.

No problem with people going on hols once they self isolate when they come back and act responsible when away

The UK have been testing in the community for a long time now. That's been true since the end of April. These are included in the test figures.

Also - the figures I am using are from the KCL coronavirus tracker. This is based on the data submitted from 4 million app users reporting their symptoms and test results. I'm one of them. If anything this data is more reliable than that received through testing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Quote from prof glynn:
    "All of the 23 new cases of Covid-19 that were reported yesterday occurred in people aged under 44, and 77% involved people under the age of 25. "

I was addressing the rest of your post with regards to R and giving the context behind Spain and France, which is easily available to find online. You can see where the cases in both countries are being reported and the vast majority of the French cases are coming from their overseas territories.

But anyway the cases yesterday yes you are correct, the cases last few days they have said some are related to healthcare workers in nursing homes. One nursing home for example picked up 5 asymptomatic cases in staff. Hence the benefit of tageted testing in the sector that is currently underway.

They wont give detail of the cases under the age of 25 but it was said the clusters we're seeing are private houses and care settings some relating to travel.

The UK have been testing in the community for a long time now. That's been true since the end of April. These are included in the test figures.

Also - the figures I am using are from the KCL coronavirus tracker. This is based on the data submitted from 4 million app users reporting their symptoms and test results. I'm one of them. If anything this data is more reliable than that received through testing figures.

Well they weren't testing in the community in Nottingham and parts of London for sure at end of April. My uncle had it bad, still recovering from last April, was told only go to hospital if lips turn blue, never tested. Was in a real bad and still can only walk about 500m as lungs not recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Fantastic to have another jurisdiction an hour up the road. It will limit the insular thinking of the Irish Government.

Time to open up the country - Lockdown is a total waste of time. The virus isn't going anywhere and the vaccine may never arrive.

The sooner the hysteria-merchants realise this the better.

There is a negligible risk for the vast majority of the population.

Well they weren't testing in the community in Nottingham and parts of London for sure at end of April. My uncle had it bad, still recovering from last April, was told only go to hospital if lips turn blue, never tested. Was in a real bad and still can only walk about 500m as lungs not recovered

You can see the testing results from the community pretty easily on the UK government website. They come under pillar 2 testing.

That is a side point however. The KCL data I am using isn't based solely on test results. It is based on a reporting of symptoms by 4 million people which is a huge sample size.

The ONS are also surveying every week to find out the prevalence of the virus by testing a consistent sample size every week. The KCL data and the ONS data pretty much agree now.

In any case, about 1 in 3000 people have this in the UK based on this data. If you want to dispute that please feel free to do so with data rather than speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

There's a flight coming into Dublin airport tomorrow morning from Dallas.

There's also flights from Boston, New York and Chicago as well.

Seriously, why are they allowing these flights to come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Seriously it's been explained many times why on the tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Quote from prof glynn:

Why is this the worrying stat?

Do you think people under 25 weren't always getting it?

Of course they were, they just didn't notice it or didn't qualify for getting a test.
    Now they are being identified with their contacts.

This is a positive stat, especially as it won't do them most harm (mostly).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ZX7R wrote: »
    Seriously it's been explained many times why on the tread.

Ok so why are Americans coming here on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Texas had a record 10,000 cases yesterday, forced airport testing mandatory quarantine near the airport or ban US flights, seriously our government need to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Texas had a record 10,000 cases yesterday, forced airport testing mandatory quarantine near the airport or ban US flights, seriously our government need to do something

The flights are literally empty. There’s photos all over plane spotting Facebook groups of people on board with maybe 6/7 other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's heartbreaking to see this.
    I feel nothing but fear for the next few months now.
    I was hoping to support Irish and do a few days in an Irish hotel or B&B, as I obviously won't be going abroad this year, but given this news, I'm not even going to chance that.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Under what laws?

I feel nothing but fear for the next few months now.

I would suggest you cocoon for the duration before you infect others with your hysteria.

Not really sure why it’s not hitting home for some that we must in fact learn to live with this

• Advertisement

The flights are literally empty. There’s photos all over plane spotting Facebook groups of people on board with maybe 6/7 other people.

6 or 7 people who'll sign a form then fcek off anywhere in Ireland untested

Trump bans Irish flying in there but we can't do the same here

6 or 7 people who are likely Irish citizens and have every right to enter the country?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Under what laws?

It would be nice to see the new government doing something about this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We're not the only country that has flights landing from the US just so your aware. All over Europe flights to and from the US are running, only difference is American citizens that don't live in a European country wont get in. Here they will with the 14 day isolation. EU citizens and those resident in EU countries are perfectly entitled to be on board those flights.

Been noted here before but I'll say it again. Your bog standard passenger flight has always and continues to also carry cargo to and from both countries. The cargo element is what keeps this flights going. For example a recent EI flight form Boston I know for a fact had only 6 passengers on it, nobody flying with anyone, 6 individual passengers, there was more crew than passengers. Only reason it was still flying was cargo being delivered.

The narrative that these flights are full to the brim with tourists isn't exactly playing out in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I would suggest you cocoon for the duration before you infect others with your hysteria.

Hmmm.. OK. Remember all the naysayers who spoke up over Italian rugby supporters coming here in March? I guess they were hysterical too.
    And I guess you also don't work in front line medical care and are not dreading the prospect of a second spike and the hell and hardship that brings?

To thine own self be true

Why is it so wrong to worry about a second wave, case increases, it started with travel, imported cases

Hmmm.. OK. Remember all the naysayers who spoke up over Italian rugby supporters coming here in March? I guess they were hysterical too.
    And I guess you also don't work in front line medical care and are not dreading the prospect of a second spike and the hell and hardship that brings?

Thankfully you're not coming across as even slightly hysterical - well done.

Why is it so wrong to worry about a second wave, case increases, it started with travel, imported cases

It started with uncontrolled community transmission in a country where COVID test wasn’t even in most people’s lexicon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Newstalk had a segment earlier on PK and interviewed some of the passengers on the inbound US flights. Some were from Florida and Texas escaping the rising number of cases in those two States, some were coming to visit family and/or their holiday homes. All "said" they would quarantine for 14 days, but given that US holiday leave is at best 14 days per year, who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Newstalk had a segment earlier on PK and interviewed some of the passengers on the inbound US flights. Some were from Florida and Texas escaping the rising number of cases in those two States, some were coming to visit family and/or their holiday homes. All "said" they would quarantine for 14 days, but given that US holiday leave is at best 14 days per year, who knows?
    That's probably on hiatus at present!

Advertisement