Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I know science is science but the concept of viruses now being engineered in labs is gold for conspiracy theorists.

While there’s no evidence of covid being a man created virus, viruses are and have been genetically modified in labs for other uses since the 70’s. It’s not a conspiracy theory. We have used genetically modified viruses to control animal populations and limit disease in trees.

It’s not behind the realm of possibility that someone could develop a virus in biological warfare. The biggest flaw though being it would also impact the perpetrator and their nation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Rodin wrote: »

Full of ‘coulds’ and ‘mights’, and the article is mostly positive news anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd wager fairly heavily that every country and region right now has their own "this region variant" article, it's lazy journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Ewww, you made me click an RTE link ;-)

So what's the story with quarantining now following the passing yesterday in the Dáil?

We still have to wait weeks before it's a reality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Another day and still 95% of the population at present do not have covid. Less than 1% have died of it. Well less than 1% have it on their death certs anyway. What they actually died of we won't know till a review is undertaken once the pandemic is over. Meanwhile hospital waiting lists are growing and there an unknown levels of cancers and otherwise curable diseases amassing that if let go will become terminal.

And yet we still hear the uninformed banging on about borders and closing off NI. The folks up north have pretty much vaccinated all of the at risk groups now. I am surprised they don't want to close off the border to the ROI rather than vice versa.

But lets keep all the hyperbole going so that the optics look good anyway. Its scary how many people cannot understand and interpret simple statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I know science is science but the concept of viruses now being engineered in labs is gold for conspiracy theorists.

Theres a Bristol variant now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Another day, another new variant in the country.

When will the government learn?

I think you mean, when will we learn? We put them there.
    We need radical political reform + accountability.
    Instead in the middle of Covid pay increase for TDs Councillors and Civil service.
    Whats going on....

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Theres a Bristol variant now

All these U.K. SA, California and now Bristol variants reported to sound like these places are cultivating bio-weapons makes me laugh.

Just goes to show which countries have the ability to and are actually analysing the test results and publishing the data to help the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

basill wrote: »
    Another day and still 95% of the population at present do not have covid. Less than 1% have died of it. Well less than 1% have it on their death certs anyway. What they actually died of we won't know till a review is undertaken once the pandemic is over. Meanwhile hospital waiting lists are growing and there an unknown levels of cancers and otherwise curable diseases amassing that if let go will become terminal.

And yet we still hear the uninformed banging on about borders and closing off NI. The folks up north have pretty much vaccinated all of the at risk groups now. I am surprised they don't want to close off the border to the ROI rather than vice versa.

But lets keep all the hyperbole going so that the optics look good anyway. Its scary how many people cannot understand and interpret simple statistics.

The lockdown has never been about preventing death.
    Some still fail to realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

13 countries added to level 2 list

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Otherwise all of the restrictions were for nothing

UK, the Americas and Sweden shouldn't be allowed into Ireland till they get their omnishambles together

Nailed it in one

Riodej1578 wrote: »
    Nailed it in one
    I wrote that in mid June last year and the crazy thing is it's still applicable now

UK numbers are the same as Ireland and falling at a faster rate. They’ll soon be better than Ireland. Should be them not letting in the Irish rather than the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

UK numbers are the same as Ireland and falling at a faster rate. They’ll soon be better than Ireland. Should be them not letting in the Irish rather than the other way round

This!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The poll should be:

nobody should be let into Ireland until WE have our act together !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Mad that the USA is STILL not on the list of high risk countries. Id say hell will freeze over before you see a Guard getting heavy handed with an American tourist. Coveney would have a fit, especially as hes trying to sweeten up Biden for a visit here in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Between February 8 and 21,there were 22,661 arrivals into Ireland over the two-week period, including 12,856 Irish residents and 9,805 non-residents.
    The predominant nationalities of those non-residents arriving were British, Irish, Romanian, US or Polish.
    1,306 arrivals from three 'category-two' high risk countries, includes 652 from the UAE, 550 from Brazil, 104 from South Africa. Most arrivals from Brazil - 492 - are resident in Ireland.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/7600-fly-home-after-holidays-or-visits-40140251.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

zell12 wrote: »

All of which have to legally provide a negative pcr test.

The Indo is pushing a borderline xenophobic angle with its focus on travel particularly the article about travel permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The lockdown has never been about preventing death.
    Some still fail to realise that.

What was it about so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What was it about so?

To be fair, it could be technically correct, the lockdown was to prevent the overrun of hospitals and ICU (which would then cause excess amount of deaths, similar to what happened in Italy).

• The president has signed off on quarantine
    • It was passed in the Dáil
    • It's a month since they first brought this up at "government" level

And yet it still isn't a reality and they haven't said when it will be

It's better for your mental health if you view this country as some kind of large scale reality TV black comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• The president has signed off on quarantine
    • It was passed in the Dáil
    • It's a month since they first brought this up at "government" level

And yet it still isn't a reality and they haven't said when it will be

It's better for your mental health if you view this country as some kind of large scale reality TV black comedy

I'm glad it's taking so long. If I have to fly home for a funeral (sick gran), and they try to lock me up they can f**k right off.

I'm glad it's taking so long. If I have to fly home for a funeral (sick gran), and they try to lock me up they can f**k right off.

Or

You can just forgo all that drama and take a PCR test within 72 hours of getting here

Or

You can just forgo all that drama and take a PCR test within 72 hours of getting here

Those are the rules? So the PCR test before flying and one on arrival?
    That's hilarious after all the shouting about mandatory hotel quarantine.

Edit: Just checked it, what a random list of countries. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Why not just dedicate an island as our covid holding area? Say Achill or Inis Mor just vaccinate the population first and send all incoming travellers there for 2 weeks Bus direct from airports to there. Put an armoured car and Gardai across the bridge ferry and only allow those out with passes.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Why not just dedicate an island as our covid holding area? Say Achill or Inis Mor just vaccinate the population first and send all incoming travellers there for 2 weeks Bus direct from airports to there. Put an armoured car and Gardai across the bridge ferry and only allow those out with passes.

Sounds great, I've never been and always wanted to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Or

I thought arrivals into Dublin Airport had to show they have a negative test, did I read that wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Panthro wrote: »
    I thought arrivals into Dublin Airport had to show they have a negative test, did I read that wrong?

Yes you have to show a pre flight Covid test for pretty much all travel at this point. Airlines won’t let you board without one.

As for post flight you are under no obligation to take one but you can take one after 5 days if you want to end quarantine/restricted movements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ah so you can't get on the plane without one.
    Got it.

Advertisement