Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

saabsaab wrote: »
    Why not just dedicate an island as our covid holding area? Say Achill or Inis Mor just vaccinate the population first and send all incoming travellers there for 2 weeks Bus direct from airports to there. Put an armoured car and Gardai across the bridge ferry and only allow those out with passes.
    Rugged Island

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why not just dedicate an island as our covid holding area? Say Achill or Inis Mor just vaccinate the population first and send all incoming travellers there for 2 weeks Bus direct from airports to there. Put an armoured car and Gardai across the bridge ferry and only allow those out with passes.

That island is reserved for the confirmed cases and close contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I hear spike Island is available - zero present inhabitants. Facilities already there...

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

And the charade continues. .

Its ****ing disgraceful.

I have heard of people flying in and are just showing their passport and walking right through as well. They're not even verifying the pcr.

What chance do we have if we dont even enforce the lax measure we have in place? It really makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

And the charade continues. .

They are loathe to do it and have been for a year. My understanding on what I've read is that it's all from the FG side who don't want it

Again:
    • The President has signed off on quarantine
    • It was passed in the Dáil
    • It's a month since they first brought this up at "government" level
    What the fcuk are we actually waiting on now?!

Cue more weeks of foot dragging at which stage "We have reviewed this and we don't need to do it now because cases have dropped so much. Here's Pennys re-opening to keep yous happy"

Remember: the Irish "government" have literally killed people in the last year through their airport inaction and continue to do so

You can link me to any "travel doesn't cause cases" bollixology all you like

Covid is a bizarre virus as it apparently doesn't spread anywhere in Ireland
    • Pub owners say it doesn't spread in their buildings
    • The "government" say it's not spreading in the schools (absolute nonsense)
    • Hairdressers say they're not responsible for outbreaks either
    • Construction? Nah, sure that's safe too

And Travel?

Nah, sure here's a "study" showing it's not responsible for cases in Ireland

Not responsible?!

It's how it got into the country ffs. It's why the Kent variant is now our dominant variant and it's why the Brazilian one got in too

Absolute fcuking nonsense and I cannot wait to emigrate from this kip once Covid passes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    They are loathe to do it and have been for a year. My understanding on what I've read is that it's all from the FG side who don't want it

Again:

Cue more weeks of foot dragging at which stage "We have reviewed this and we don't need to do it now because cases have dropped so much. Here's Pennys re-opening to keep yous happy"

Remember: the Irish "government" have literally killed people in the last year through their airport inaction and continue to do so

And Travel?

Not responsible?!

It's how it got into the country ffs. It's why the Kent variant is now our dominant variant and it's why the Brazilian one got in too

Absolute fcuking nonsense and I cannot wait to emigrate from this kip once Covid passes

I'd say it's due to the fact no other EU country has implemented the measures so there is no template.

They do not know if they are going to contravene EU law.

Suddenly FG are worried about people's freedoms
    And some private companies getting contracts for the work
    Its bizarre

Suddenly FG are worried about people's freedoms
    And some private companies getting contracts for the work
    Its bizarre

The rule is totally unenforceable.

Without metrics how can they choose to penalize a certain country over another.

It simply won't stand up in court. It's a pure populist meaningless move.

I get off a flight from London, how the hell do they know If i came from Rio or from Brixton?

Let's enforce home isolation and stop this hotel quarantine farce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Or

You can just forgo all that drama and take a PCR test within 72 hours of getting here

Then again, he could fail/test positive either way with what our HSE refer to the "Gold Standard", as shown recently by Elon Musk with 50/50 positive and negative out of four.

He may have a point when he said "something extremely bogus is going on"

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Or maybe just focus on vaccinating citizens and focusing on fighting real crime.

But thankfully we are not a small open economy with 900k jobs and about half our overall tax base coming from MNEs who depend on trade and people to create wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭acequion

Again:

And Travel?

Not responsible?!

I find it interesting how you don't want anyone getting into Ireland, even our own citizens, without hauling them over the coals first, between mandatory hotel quarantine, essentially a detention centre where you're locked into a room for 14 days at huge cost. And let's not forget all the testing, the negative one you came into the country with for starters, plus the others after.

But ok, you're all for that and entitled to your views. But this is not the first time you've said you want to emigrate! So given your stance on people coming into this country, you're expecting some place else, maybe any place else, to welcome you with open arms are you? Do you not see even a tiny contradiction there?

acequion wrote: »
    Do you not see even a tiny contradiction there?

Did you read the part where I said "when Covid passes"?

Important bit that

Did you read the part where I said "when Covid passes"?

Important bit that

So when "Covid passes" those other countries whose citizens you didn't exactly extend the cead mille failte to, should be willing to accept you without question should they? Take you in, give you work, allow you to set up home and put down roots? Give you and yours opportunities?

And you do realise that other countries have been far laxer on foreign travel and foreign visitors than they've been in this "kip." So if you're so angry with Ireland you're bound to be apoplectic with the leniency of other places, so why would you want to go live there? Another pandemic could come along you know!

So when "Covid passes" those other countries whose citizens you didn't exactly extend the cead mille failte to, should be willing to accept you without question should they?

I'm talking about when Covid is under control. There's a worldwide pandemic going on and our airports have been a joke for a year now
    And you do realise that other countries have been far laxer on foreign travel and foreign visitors than they've been in this "kip."

Such as?

You must be joking

Only 12% of people got a "are ya being a good boy there now and isolating?" follow up phone call

The whole thing has been typical Irish "shure it'll be grand" for 12 months
    So if you're so angry with Ireland you're bound to be apoplectic with the leniency of other places, so why would you want to go live there? Another pandemic could come along you know!

You're just picking a fight tbh

I'm talking about when Covid is under control. There's a worldwide pandemic going on and our airports have being a joke for a year now

Such as?

You're just picking a fight tbh

Why am I picking a fight by asking you very valid questions?

Perhaps you have gotten yourself into such a state about this that logic has left the building. But on a public forum like this and on a thread you yourself started, you should be able to justify yourself a little better than just accusing someone of trying to pick a fight when you don't like their line of questions.

There is no talk of mandatory hotel quarantine for any other EU country, most accept a negative PCR and let the traveller carry on on his way. So yes most are much laxer than Ireland and possibly have to be because they're not islands. And so even more open to variants.

But my original point remains. It's somewhat ironic that a person who wants to subject all incoming travellers to such rigorous controls, sees no problem being accepted permanently into another country in the future.

Sorry if that irony makes you uncomfortable.

But my original point remains. It's somewhat ironic that a person who wants to subject all incoming travellers to such rigorous controls ....

Yes. Now

As in the present moment

When there's a once in a century pandemic going on and variants are getting in because of Ireland's laughable airport controls
    .... sees no problem being accepted permanently into another country in the future.

Yes. In the future

When Covid has largely passed

Two different time periods. Just like when we traveled in 2019 and before

You can't see the difference between the two and - yes - I do believe you're just looking for a row

So let's leave it at that

There's no point "debating" with you if you can't even see the difference between airport controls we had in the past, controls that we need now and ones we won't need in the future

Yes. Now

As in the present moment

When there's a once in a century pandemic going on and variants are getting in because of Ireland's laughable airport controls

Yes. In the future

When Covid has largely passed

Two different time periods. Just like when we traveled in 2019 and before

You can't see the difference between the two and - yes - I do believe you're just looking for a row

So let's leave it at that

There's no point "debating" with you if you can't even see the difference between airport controls we had in the past, controls that we need now and ones we won't need in the future

There's no point in debating with you because you refuse point blank to see my very valid point.

I'm not even talking about airport controls, not saying whether I agree or disagree with them and if you weren't so obsessed with them you might see beyond them to the wider picture.

We have always been a nation of emigrants. We have always relied on the big world out there to take in the Irish and give them what we in our own country have at several points failed to give them. And the Irish have spread to the four corners of the world. And will want to again. But we in turn have been the land of the hundred thousand welcomes. But no longer, it appears, as so many are in favour of mandatory hotel quarantine. Yes there is a terrible pandemic, yes it's not forever, but do we really need to go so far? Especially now when the end is in sight.

What goes around comes around as the saying goes, so there is a big contradiction in an Irish person screaming for mandatory hotel quarantine on the one hand and glibly saying they can't wait to emigrate on the other. As if the rest of the world owes us anything. And as if the rest of the world won't notice and forget.

Be careful what you wish for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I have travelled 4/5 times since Covid a year ago as i was abroad these days last year when it started here.
    I always felt safe on the plane and used a place owned by member of family while away.
    What i noticed is we in this Country we are being warned on a daily basis what will happen to us if we break 5km rule.
    What i noticed in other places was people automatically knew the right thing to do and if they did not the people would tell them.
    I noticed a conversation about how wonderful we think we are as a people? we are just the same as everyone and our friendly Irishness
    can be pretty fake.
    I do wish the EU had taken an active lead here but each Country doing own thing fine where there is land border but i prefer if the EU
    were more involved in air travel.
    I just noticed that China is currently not in the risk of high risk countries for air travel, there are a total of 7 countries on the list i seen which include NZ, AUZ, Thai and a few others...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

What baffles me is that people think only the variants spread this thing now. Sure some seem to be more contagious, but the old classic original covid-19 got around just fine and dandy before these fancy variants stole it's thunder.

Stopping 10k people per week coming into the country isn't going to make a sh!t of a difference at this stage.

The only way it would is if we reached zero covid, which ain't ever gonna happen.

The time for extreme control was last march. That ship has sailed, that plane has landed.

• Advertisement

And around it goes again, the vicious cycle of blame and scapegoat!

Yesterday the students, today back to those demon travellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

And around it goes again, the vicious cycle of blame and scapegoat!

Yesterday the students, today back to those demon travellers

Who do you blame for our virus cases?

What baffles me is that people think only the variants spread this thing now. Sure some seem to be more contagious, but the old classic original covid-19 got around just fine and dandy before these fancy variants stole it's thunder.

Stopping 10k people per week coming into the country isn't going to make a sh!t of a difference at this stage.

The only way it would is if we reached zero covid, which ain't ever gonna happen.

The time for extreme control was last march. That ship has sailed, that plane has landed.

If we were nearing zero COVID it would make a difference also, such as if our daily figures were below 10 and we had a rigorous contact tracing system similar to last July before the Spanish holiday makers came back with the 20A.EU1 variant

If we were nearing zero COVID it would make a difference also, such as if our daily figures were below 10 and we had a rigorous contact tracing system similar to last July before the Spanish holiday makers came back with the 20A.EU1 variant

Even if the figures were below 10, that doesn't matter, the virus is out there. There's hundreds if not thousands of cases of it asymptomatically floating around.

Shutting down the airports is pointless and just causes more issues instead of helping any whatsoever.

Life.

Outside of shutting everyone in their homes without exception for 14 days (longer for households with more people), and shutting down the whole country, northern Ireland included, we'll always have some presence of the virus.

Vaccinations are the only solution at this stage.

I don't think it's helpful to be so focused on "blame." We're in a world wide pandemic, the virus is everywhere and transmitted by people interacting with people. So as another poster just said, short of locking everyone, everywhere away, it really is impossible to stop spread. It just takes one. All this kicked off from case zero. So being focused on blame is going to always cause frustration as something will always be blameworthy.

Also, I see in another post you mention "Spanish holiday makers." I really think this notion is hugely exaggerated. I'm not saying a variant didn't come in from Spain, as I said, it only takes one. However, I was twice in Spain last summer. Now I have loved ones there before anyone jumps on me. So I did 4 flights and the most on any of of those flights was 8 people. One flight had just 4. My niece used a different Irish airport and noted roughly the same. Read the accounts last summer of the people who travelled to Spain and again the same. A handful of people on the planes. And on the ground in the Spanish resorts, the absence of Brits and Irish stood out a mile

So while people did go to Spain last summer and some for a holiday, let's not get carried away and talk as if it was the pre pandemic packed plane loads when nothing could be further from the truth.

I don't think it's helpful to be so focused on "blame." We're in a world wide pandemic, the virus is everywhere and transmitted by people interacting with people. So as another poster just said, short of locking everyone, everywhere away, it really is impossible to stop spread. It just takes one. All this kicked off from case zero. So being focused on blame is going to always cause frustration as something will always be blameworthy.

Also, I see in another post you mention "Spanish holiday makers." I really think this notion is hugely exaggerated. I'm not saying a variant didn't come in from Spain, as I said, it only takes one. However, I was twice in Spain last summer. Now I have loved ones there before anyone jumps on me. So I did 4 flights and the most on any of of those flights was 8 people. One flight had just 4. My niece used a different Irish airport and noted roughly the same. Read the accounts last summer of the people who travelled to Spain and again the same. A handful of people on the planes. And on the ground in the Spanish resorts, the absence of Brits and Irish stood out a mile

So while people did go to Spain last summer and some for a holiday, let's not get carried away and talk as if it was the pre pandemic packed plane loads when nothing could be further from the truth.

If it's impossible to stop spread how did NZ, Australia, Vietnam and Taiwan do it?

Strange that both you and your neice had such an experience because by Dublin airports own figures 256,000 flew to/from European destinations just in July last month. If there are a maximum of 8 in a plane arguably going to the most popular destination that would equate to 32,000 planes, or more than 1,000 planes a day to europe Source: https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2020/08/07/passenger-numbers-down-89-in-july

Vaccinations are the only solution at this stage.

Probably true

If it's impossible to stop spread how did NZ, Australia, Vietnam and Taiwan do it?

Strange that both you and your neice had such an experience because by Dublin airports own figures 256,000 flew to/from European destinations just in July last month. If there are a maximum of 8 in a plane arguably going to the most popular destination that would equate to 32,000 planes, or more than 1,000 planes a day to europe Source: https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2020/08/07/passenger-numbers-down-89-in-july

Probably true

Are you so desperate to be right that you throw out links which actually prove you wrong, along with a stomp of your foot! Go back and read the article you linked again. It first cites an 89% decline in passenger numbers and it then cites numbers for traffic all over Europe. Again I repeat ALL OVER EUROPE. Not just the Spanish sun spots. Off hand I don't know how many destinations you can fly to from Dublin but I'd wager you can fly to hundreds of destinations and some with multiple flights per day to some destinations and multiple flights from more than one airline. Dublin pre pandemic was a major European hub and the majority of flights operated in July. Also, Dublin is not the only Irish airport.

So your link in no way disproves my point that from my own experience and plenty of anecdotal evidence, flights to the sun had only handfuls of passengers last year. It probably suits your argument to decide I'm telling lies and that's your prerogative. The fact remains that sun holidays were enormously down last summer compared to a normal summer because the majority stayed at home.

As for your other argument, just how many times does it have to be pointed out that Australia,NZ, Vietnam and Taiwan are not Ireland!! And the reasons have been explained multiple times. But when somebody is so heavily entrenched in and invested in a way of thinking they literally will not see any other point of view.

By all means have your point of view but please recognize that the facts may not always support that point of view and that others may not share that view.

Probably true

Vietnam did it by not testing anybody

• Advertisement

Are you so desperate to be right that you throw out links which actually prove you wrong, along with a stomp of your foot! Go back and read the article you linked again. It first cites an 89% decline in passenger numbers and it then cites numbers for traffic all over Europe. Again I repeat ALL OVER EUROPE. Not just the Spanish sun spots. Off hand I don't know how many destinations you can fly to from Dublin but I'd wager you can fly to hundreds of destinations and some with multiple flights per day to some destinations and multiple flights from more than one airline. Dublin pre pandemic was a major European hub and the majority of flights operated in July. Also, Dublin is not the only Irish airport.

So your link in no way disproves my point that from my own experience and plenty of anecdotal evidence, flights to the sun had only handfuls of passengers last year. It probably suits your argument to decide I'm telling lies and that's your prerogative. The fact remains that sun holidays were enormously down last summer compared to a normal summer because the majority stayed at home.

As for your other argument, just how many times does it have to be pointed out that Australia,NZ, Vietnam and Taiwan are not Ireland!! And the reasons have been explained multiple times. But when somebody is so heavily entrenched in and invested in a way of thinking they literally will not see any other point of view.

By all means have your point of view but please recognize that the facts may not always support that point of view and that others may not share that view.

If you took the time to read what I said and the link I posted, the figure of 256,000 are those that flew to/from European destinations and that from personal experience Spain is the most popular European destination for the irish

Australia,NZ, Vietnam and Taiwan have very tight controls on who comes in and out of their country, that's how they have done so well

Vietnam did it by not testing anybody

That's simply not true, as of yesterday Vietnam have had 2,488 cases since the beginning of the pandemic, most in managed isolation, 529 active cases all in managed isolation https://ncov.moh.gov.vn/

Stop spreading lies

Advertisement