Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭acequion

If you took the time to read what I said and the link I posted, the figure of 256,000 are those that flew to/from European destinations and that from personal experience Spain is the most popular European destination for the irish

Australia,NZ, Vietnam and Taiwan have very tight controls on who comes in and out of their country, that's how they have done so well

That's simply not true, as of yesterday Vietnam have had 2,488 cases since the beginning of the pandemic, most in managed isolation, 529 active cases all in managed isolation https://ncov.moh.gov.vn/

Stop spreading lies

Actually I do take the time to read posts, unlike those who are so entrenched in their views that they will force that square peg into the round hole.

Here is your article back again, an article about the 89% decline in passenger numbers.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2020/08/07/passenger-numbers-down-89-in-july

Not one mention of Spain! Not one and I have read it carefully. You say and embolden "from personal experience Spain is the most popular destination with the Irish." Your personal experience is fact now is it? And what a sweeping statement!! You reckon that the entire travelling population of Ireland favour Spain, therefore it must be so.:rolleyes: Again banging that square pin into a round hole because it suits your argument.

If I was interested in a tit for tat argument I've no doubt I'd find plenty of evidence about the near the empty planes flying to sun spots in Spain last summer. Kerry did 2 flights a week to Alicante in July and 3 a week in August. All departed on schedule as they were all paid for by advance bookings. But they were all near empty, 8,10, sometimes 4. They eventually pulled the service at the end of August though scheduled into mid October. I doubt it would be hard to verify that if you want to go digging. Shannon/ Alicante was the same. If you want you can look up the "Will you travel" thread here and check back to last July and you'll see several posts saying the same. Dublin/Alicante, Dublin/Malaga, all near empty or a third full at best.

But I doubt you'll bother because you're hell bent on believing that plane loads departed for Spain last summer and plane loads came back with a new variant. Fine, whatever suits you.

I've no interest in continuing this argument. While I don't agree with mandatory hotel quarantine I respect other people's right to want this. But I cannot respect somebody peddling an untruth to push their point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

acequion wrote: »
    Actually I do take the time to read posts, unlike those who are so entrenched in their views that they will force that square peg into the round hole.

Here is your article back again, an article about the 89% decline in passenger numbers.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2020/08/07/passenger-numbers-down-89-in-july

Not one mention of Spain! Not one and I have read it carefully. You say and embolden "from personal experience Spain is the most popular destination with the Irish." Your personal experience is fact now is it? And what a sweeping statement!! You reckon that the entire travelling population of Ireland favour Spain, therefore it must be so.:rolleyes: Again banging that square pin into a round hole because it suits your argument.

If I was interested in a tit for tat argument I've no doubt I'd find plenty of evidence about the near the empty planes flying to sun spots in Spain last summer. Kerry did 2 flights a week to Alicante in July and 3 a week in August. All departed on schedule as they were all paid for by advance bookings. But they were all near empty, 8,10, sometimes 4. They eventually pulled the service at the end of August though scheduled into mid October. I doubt it would be hard to verify that if you want to go digging. Shannon/ Alicante was the same. If you want you can look up the "Will you travel" thread here and check back to last July and you'll see several posts saying the same. Dublin/Alicante, Dublin/Malaga, all near empty or a third full at best.

But I doubt you'll bother because you're hell bent on believing that plane loads departed for Spain last summer and plane loads came back with a new variant. Fine, whatever suits you.

I've no interest in continuing this argument. While I don't agree with mandatory hotel quarantine I respect other people's right to want this. But I cannot respect somebody peddling an untruth to push their point of view.

Where would you say is the most popular continental Europe destination then? Rather than just claim mine is a "sweeping statement" why not give your opinion?

Plane loads might not have come back last summer but given that the Spanish variant was the dominant one in Ireland before Christmas you can be sure that at least one person brought it back and spread it to at least one other

Mandatory hotel quarantine would have stopped this variant from coming into our country, that you can't deny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Where would you say is the most popular continental Europe destination then? Rather than just claim mine is a "sweeping statement" why not give your opinion?

Plane loads might not have come back last summer but given that the Spanish variant was the dominant one in Ireland before Christmas you can be sure that at least one person brought it back and spread it to at least one other

Mandatory hotel quarantine would have stopped this variant from coming into our country, that you can't deny

Yes, but so would other measures such as mandatory PCR testing prior to arrival, antigen testing on arrival, enforced quarantine at home.

The Irish approach of blunt instrument to problems is continuing to fail the country. The longest lockdown in Europe (and one of the longest in the world) is now going to be met with the strictest quarantine in Europe. Other countries are preparing their roadmap to reopening while Ireland is going the other way, seeking to tighten restrictions.

Its clear the vaccine plan has failed given not one metric or target has been met.

But if people are shouting louder for detention centres than more intense scrutiny of vaccination failures then best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

faceman wrote: »
    Yes, but so would other measures such as mandatory PCR testing prior to arrival, antigen testing on arrival, enforced quarantine at home.

The Irish approach of blunt instrument to problems is continuing to fail the country. The longest lockdown in Europe (and one of the longest in the world) is now going to be met with the strictest quarantine in Europe. Other countries are preparing their roadmap to reopening while Ireland is going the other way, seeking to tighten restrictions.

Its clear the vaccine plan has failed given not one metric or target has been met.

But if people are shouting louder for detention centres than more intense scrutiny of vaccination failures then best of luck!

There will be a long legacy left by this anti foreigner rhetoric.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How will quarantine from certain countries work? Most countries on the list doesn't have direct flights to Ireland. So if they take a flight to London or Paris, shouldn't the quarantine be happening there before any further travel onto Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Any particular reason why the USA is still not on the list of red countries?? It was one of the worst affected countries in the pandemic and yet for some reason we still dont deem it necessary to tell passengers arriving from there to quarantine. Bizzare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Any particular reason why the USA is still not on the list of red countries?? It was one of the worst affected countries in the pandemic and yet for some reason we still dont deem it necessary to tell passengers arriving from there to quarantine. Bizzare.

I don't know and we are on their absolute red list due to the UK variant being so prevalent here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Politics.

Blanket and unfair ban on the whole of South America and Southern Africa who I imagine make up a decent % of essential workers in Ireland in the last 12 months.

You have to remember Micheal Martin was expecting to go over to the States for Paddys Day too so couldn't risk a mandatory 2 week hotel quarantine for him returning back to Ireland.

If you buy a return ticket to Portugal from Dublin and buy an entirely separate ticket from Portugal to Brazil, how is anyone going to know you were in Brazil? Even if you arrive on a Brazilian passport, you can just say you were in Portugal
    Also, many Brazilians resident in Ireland have EU passports. There are always ways around the system if you want to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not to mention the 20C/L452R strain which is prevalent in California

• Advertisement

If you buy a return ticket to Portugal from Dublin and buy an entirely separate ticket from Portugal to Brazil, how is anyone going to know you were in Brazil? Even if you arrive on a Brazilian passport, you can just say you were in Portugal
    Also, many Brazilians resident in Ireland have EU passports. There are always ways around the system if you want to.

Not everyone travelling is infected. The risk is tiny given the pcr requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Republic of Ireland is starting to look like a major issue in the context of the Common Travel Area now. 40% plus of people in NI, Scotland, England and Wales have already had at least one dose of a vaccine, Ireland still stuck at under 10% and struggling to vaccinate over 80s. Looks like the UK vaccination program could be wrapped up by mid summer with Ireland looking at it dragging into the winter or beyond.

As others have pointed out, the issue is fast becoming less about controlling incoming people from high risk countries, and more about how the unvaccinated Irish are going to need to stay within the jurisdiction so as not to ruin everyone else's summer holiday plans.

https://twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1368601869229174785?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

There are over 700 US companies in Ireland and over 600 Irish companies in The US.
    That's a lot of Upper and middle management going both ways, we're not going to bite the hand that feeds us.(especially the big tech ones;))

https://www.amcham.ie/about-us/us-ireland-business/stats-facts.aspx#:~:text=Today%2C%20over%20160%2C000%20people%20are,700%20US%20firms%20in%20Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

hi5 wrote: »
    There are over 700 US companies in Ireland and over 600 Irish companies in The US.
    That's a lot of Upper and middle management going both ways, we're not going to bite the hand that feeds us.(especially the big tech ones;))

https://www.amcham.ie/about-us/us-ireland-business/stats-facts.aspx#:~:text=Today%2C%20over%20160%2C000%20people%20are,700%20US%20firms%20in%20Ireland.

Once bought stay bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The Republic of Ireland is starting to look like a major issue in the context of the Common Travel Area now. 40% plus of people in NI, Scotland, England and Wales have already had at least one dose of a vaccine, Ireland still stuck at under 10% and struggling to vaccinate over 80s. Looks like the UK vaccination program could be wrapped up by mid summer with Ireland looking at it dragging into the winter or beyond.

Tories have decieded that they know more than scientists when it comes to vaccination, so have decided that the gap between 1st and 2nd doses should be 12 weeks, rather than the manufacturers recommended 4.

So, a person who gets their first shot today in Ireland will have their second shot on 3rd April. Job done.
    Person in the UK gets first shot today won't have their second one until sometime in early June.

Person is not considered fully vaccinated until a couple of weeks after they have had their second shot.
    So, my point is that it's not a level playing field, lets check back in June and see how both countries are looking at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tories have decieded that they know more than scientists when it comes to vaccination, so have decided that the gap between 1st and 2nd doses should be 12 weeks, rather than the manufacturers recommended 4.

So, a person who gets their first shot today in Ireland will have their second shot on 3rd April. Job done.
    Person in the UK gets first shot today won't have their second one until sometime in early June.

Person is not considered fully vaccinated until a couple of weeks after they have had their second shot.
    So, my point is that it's not a level playing field, lets check back in June and see how both countries are looking at that stage.

True but the data is starting to suggest the UK have it spot on with the 12 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

faceman wrote: »
    Not everyone travelling is infected. The risk is tiny given the pcr requirement.

I read of a case with someone going off to get a PCR test four days before flying. Tested negative, so was good to go. Except, in those four days between the test and flying, he became infectious and didn't show symptoms until after his flight.

So PCR test doesn't do much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I read of a case with someone going off to get a PCR test four days before flying. Tested negative, so was good to go. Except, in those four days between the test and flying, he became infectious and didn't show symptoms until after his flight.

Sh*t really???

Quick, close all the airports!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I read of loads of cases where people who didn't travel infected dozens of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Well for a start you need to have one less than 3 days before flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

I don't know and we are on their absolute red list due to the UK variant being so prevalent here.

Again, please stop propagating this ‘somewhere variant’ it wreaks of RTE propaganda mongering.

Some countries are actually going the extra mile and analysing samples to try and give the world a better chance of beating Covid and the multitude of mutations. Coining it was a ‘place’ variant tinged with ‘that place created a new variant’ smacks of political point scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I'd like to see an antigen just before flight brought in, as well as another antigen on arrival. And another mandatory pcr test with 5 days.

This would be a decent short term solution until the vax passport system is up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As others have pointed out, the issue is fast becoming less about controlling incoming people from high risk countries, and more about how the unvaccinated Irish are going to need to stay within the jurisdiction so as not to ruin everyone else's summer holiday plans.

One dose though. Vaccine passports won't be allowed on just one dose. Yes, in hindsight the 12 weeks looks like a good call but was a big, big gamble.

If Irelands supply comes through in the next few months we'll likely be finishing our Dose 2s around the same time the UK is finishing its Dose 2s.

But NPHET will steal bleat "no non essential overseas travel" which will kill any hope, even if you're vaccinated fully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Coveney in Iran whilst your under house arrest. Absolute joke of a government. It's disgrace that Coveney going to Iran is considered essential but ordinary Irish citizens trying to make an honest days living to provide for their family is considered un essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wrong. HSE are giving the AstraZenica second dose after 12 weeks. I was at a vaccination centre on Friday and confirmed this in person. Just because you're a lefty spouting anti-right nonsense doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

One dose though. Vaccine passports won't be allowed on just one dose. Yes, in hindsight the 12 weeks looks like a good call but was a big, big gamble.

If Irelands supply comes through in the next few months we'll likely be finishing our Dose 2s around the same time the UK is finishing its Dose 2s.

That "if" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there though. Little to suggest based on what we've seen so far that the gap will close all that much, in fact it has widened in the last week.

Officially the UK are still working on the over 50s but in reality they are throwing out vaccines like confetti - I'm in my 30s and was able to be vaccinated this week no problem, there were surplus ones going to anyone that wanted one at a local surgery. I'll have had both doses by the end of May. The reality at this stage is that the UK is going to have this dealt with months before Ireland and if there's a need for a booster shot to deal with any mutant variants they'll be in a better position to roll that out as well.

But anyway, my point was more in relation to the ridiculous nature of this thread. I mean, the blaming the evil, diseased outsiders thing has been tiresome from the beginning, but it's a complete joke at this stage when the Republic is so far behind the North and GB with vaccinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

GT89 wrote: »
    Coveney in Iran whilst your under house arrest. Absolute joke of a government. It's disgrace that Coveney going to Iran is considered essential but ordinary Irish citizens trying to make an honest days living to provide for their family is considered un essential.

He's the Minister for Foreign Affairs, and also Ireland currently have a seat on the UN Security Council.

It's literally his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭HBC08

I got AZ in first week of Feb,2nd jab is 12 weeks later.
    Ireland is doing the 12 week gap between jabs with the AZ vaccine,a lot of people don't seem to know about this,I didn't before I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

GT89 wrote: »

If you read an article on the various things he was discussing with Iran you'll see it was very much essential.
    I would consider diplomatic duties an essential part of the government's job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

HBC08 wrote: »
    I got AZ in first week of Feb,2nd jab is 12 weeks later.
    Ireland is doing the 12 week jab between jabs with the AZ vaccine,a lot of people don't know about this,I didn't before I got it.

The first go to word was "tories" in that post. A sure sign that it was a politically motivated post.

Advertisement