Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

yeh, its not in the international press because its not a major concern. Seems iike you are really reaching for some scary stories here

Makes no odds to me. I don’t agree with any EU detention centre quarantine

Makes a difference to NPHET though and the lunatics in Ireland who seem to think closing the borders will make things better for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

faceman wrote: »
    Makes no odds to me. I don’t agree with any EU detention centre quarantine

Makes a difference to NPHET though and the lunatics in Ireland who seem to think closing the borders will make things better for Ireland.

quarantine hotels..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Seems iike you are really reaching for some scary stories here

Just reaching to paint travel restrictions as pointless.

We haven't had any breathless updates on the imminent failure of NZ's pointless efforts to keep the virus out that were being posted about gleefully a while back.

Assume they must have gotten that outbreak under control so?

The language about the "detention facilities" and "NPHET and the lunatics", reminds me of people ranting about being forced to wear "muzzles" by the government + how vaccines are the mark of the beast :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Reliance on tourism is a dicey prospect, it can disappear overnight, the Icelandic volcano eruption should have taught us that.

Interesting to see how resistant the Government is to actually controlling the airports. I wonder what the actual reason is, FF and FG being in the pocket of people who need cheap labour imported despite the current level of unemployment would be my guess. There's a new normal for us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

quarantine hotels..

Detention centres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Detention centres

I just googled detention centres in ireland there and tbh they don't look that bad. Two weeks might be a nice break for some.

I know it's not up to the standard of a travel lodge but needs must I guess. Don't diss it I suppose until people try it.

546538.jpeg

Edit it might be even better than that. Apparently the gov have contracted a single hotel group to run the 'detention centres'. Photos look even better than those above and look far more like a hotel than a detention centre. Look very comfortable for a detention centre.

546539.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Have a read of some of the Canadian's experience of your delightful hotel stays since they enforced it two weeks ago and you might think about agreeing with the term detention center being more apt.

One girl was raped in one already! The food situation makes fyre festival seem VIP. Suspect security, limited access to fresh air, and all for insanely expensive prices. People seem very happy and willing to give up their basic human rights for something with highly questionable scientific purpose.

I just dont why people would end up stuck in these quarantine hotels. Lay over somewhere else and do a self isolation on your own terms in a property of your choosing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As we saw at Christmas many just don't comply. This is needed for what should be a short while the vaccine is rolled out.

saabsaab wrote: »
    As we saw at Christmas many just don't comply. This is needed for what should be a short while the vaccine is rolled out.

The vaccine is going to rolled out in a "short while"?

I dont think that the government mind at all that the vaccination programme is a trainwreck. Means that they have a stronger justification to keep these measures in place until the summer has passed and kids are back at school

Its a shambles and glad I left Ireland until this is over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Any link on that? Sounds horrific. And here's people thinking it's a good opportunity to binge on Netflix and room service.

I think the government are right to protect the right to life here and not throw away all of the hard one sacrifice in getting numbers down.

Any variant that could jeopardise the vaccine is worth keeping out / contained IMO.

Vietnam did it by not testing anybody

What a bizarre lie to tell. I've no idea what you could possibly be basing it on because you're clearly not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This thread is a lot quieter these days. It seems that most of the headbangers have moved on to complaining that the government haven't gone out and bought unapproved Sputnik vaccines or whatever else the populist opposition parties and sections of the media are filling their heads with these days.

Zero Covid nonsense doesn't seem to be in season any more.

This thread is a lot quieter these days. It seems that most of the headbangers have moved on to complaining that the government haven't gone out and bought unapproved Sputnik vaccines or whatever else the populist opposition parties and sections of the media are filling their heads with these days.

Zero Covid nonsense doesn't seem to be in season any more.

celebrity professors gotta stay relevant.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Detention centres

Internment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yea but its not a biggie.
    The PCR tests dont test the entire genetic structure, they look for specific tell tale characteristics of Corona virus, and each test has a different approach in what they look for.

With the UK variant, some tests couldnt find it at the beginning when it first appeared but that was quickly fixed as will happen in this case.

yea but its not a biggie.
    The PCR tests dont test the entire genetic structure, they look for specific tell tale characteristics of Corona virus, and each test has a different approach in what they look for.

With the UK variant, some tests couldnt find it at the beginning when it first appeared but that was quickly fixed as will happen in this case.

Don’t be playing down concern about variants, there’s people in this thread who’ll get very upset :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Dublin Airport travel: Ireland's new mandatory quarantine law cost, how it will work and list of countries

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-travel-irelands-new-19993072
    The following countries are currently on Ireland’s high risk list:

Argentina, Angola, Austria, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Burundi, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Democratic Rep. of Congo, Ecuador, Eswatini, French Guiana, Guyana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Paraguay, South Africa, Rwanda, Tanzania, Panama, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela, Seychelles, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Zambia and Zimbabwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

"Shure it'll be grand"
    UK COVID-19 variant has significantly higher death rate, study finds
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-variant-britain-idUSKBN2B213E
    A highly infectious variant of COVID-19 that has spread around the world since it was first discovered in Britain late last year is between 30% and 100% more deadly than previous dominant variants, researchers said on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Has any variant actually been proven to vary from the main protein spikes?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Has any variant actually been proven to vary from the main protein spikes?

There seems to be some that are and of course they may be others unless we roll this out quickly. See below

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210311/Spike-protein-mutations-in-SARS-CoV-2-variants-help-resist-antibody-neutralization.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

159.3 now is the 14day Incidence per 100k.

We'll soon be back on the Green List for Inward Travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I just dont why people would end up stuck in these quarantine hotels. Lay over somewhere else and do a self isolation on your own terms in a property of your choosing

If people self quarantine on their own terms it will work... The issue, as we saw last summer and as recently as last Christmas, people will come back from their holidays and head out for a meal with their friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

If people self quarantine on their own terms it will work... The issue, as we saw last summer and as recently as last Christmas, people will come back from their holidays and head out for a meal with their friends

But they have negative tests now

fm wrote: »
    But they have negative tests now

Not sure what the relevance is but... Depends, on the test, a PCR is quite sensitive so could catch some of the Christmas batch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Not sure what the relevance is but... Depends, on the test, a PCR is quite sensitive so could catch some of the Christmas batch...

Don't all people entering the country have to have a negative pcr test unlike last summer and Christmas making the importation of cases less likely

fm wrote: »
    Don't all people entering the country have to have a negative pcr test unlike last summer and Christmas making the importation of cases less likely

Not in every case but there should be a reduction in them alright, remember a covid test is only as good as the day in which it's taken... Nothing to stop COVID being caught in the time between the test and the flight or even catching it on the flight

Not in every case but there should be a reduction in them alright, remember a covid test is only as good as the day in which it's taken... Nothing to stop COVID being caught in the time between the test and the flight or even catching it on the flight

Ahhh but sure don’t we report daily cases in the news as to who has covid down to the exact person?

How do we get those figures?

PCR tests

Ahhh but sure don’t we report daily cases in the news as to who has covid down to the exact person?

How do we get those figures?

PCR tests

Yes, PCR tests taken up to midnight the night before are reported around 6pm the day after... What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Sure you could have covid unbeknownst to you. Best stay indoors for the foreseeable and limit your contact with people to ZERO if that's your mindset. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

Advertisement