Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The UK variant came in via Ports and travellers crossing the border. Are we going to shut the ports and the border?

As long as Irish residents are geo-fenced to 5km - yes. Enough of the double standards. If ports and borders are open, then the 5km limit has to go. It's an absurd paradox where you are punished because you simply have an eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Danno wrote: »
    As long as Irish residents are geo-fenced to 5km - yes. Enough of the double standards. If ports and borders are open, then the 5km limit has to go. It's an absurd paradox where you are punished because you simply have an eircode.

So cross border workers should stay at home. And we should stop freight?

I am not pretending there is no risk with international travel but we have a reality with the border and membership of the EU. The narrative around travel was completely overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

So cross border workers should stay at home. And we should stop freight?

I am not pretending there is no risk with international travel but we have a reality with the border and membership of the EU. The narrative around travel was completely overblown.

Pointless trying to reason with them. Some of these delusional people seem to forget the original covid decimated the world and is here to stay. It's variant this, variant that. Closing the fence after the horse has well and truly bolted.

The only way to counter it is with vaccines. It's as if people get a kick out of watching another vital industry get destroyed pointlessly, further eliminating human rights and national constitutions.

I think they're mostly older, bitter people. But maybe some are a strange pathetic bunch who enjoy being subservient. We've a fair few of them in this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Weird. Isn't there some weather to obsess over? Absolutely tragic case. There's no keys on a smartphone either you vegetable. Now go lock yourself in your attic or in your case your secret basement for fear one of those new variants blows in a window and takes your virginity.

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Taken from the Examiner

'at no point have we had a proper system in place to monitor or control the importation of the virus, and various things have been used and not enforced'

I have to agree. Hope that it changes, at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ah well, that sheep gif gave me a laugh anyway! Was considering the discussion about cases being brought in over the border (as well as from international travel) earlier in the pandemic.

It's amazing and very rarely commented on just how much of a sacred cow our fully open border with NI is.

That the border must be ignored/willed away by Ireland at all costs seems to be a political axiom.

It is a fixed policy that won't even appear on the agenda for discussion during a once in a century global plague and the wider implications of that are disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

saabsaab wrote: »
    Taken from the Examiner

'at no point have we had a proper system in place to monitor or control the importation of the virus, and various things have been used and not enforced'

I have to agree. Hope that it changes, at last.

That would be nice but our govt are so inept I can't see it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

... First you seem to be unaware of how the virus transmits, and now you have seemingly missed the part where international travel has been restricted to within an inch of oblivion.

And why late is better than never.

For anyone who thinks restrictions and social distancing are an inconvenience....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56424611

Happy St Patricks day all ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Nearly 11,000 people flew into Dublin Airport last week https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/nearly-11000-people-flew-into-dublin-airport-last-week-1097300.html

even if this is 90% down on 2 years ago, its probably still not low enough.

Nearly 11,000 people flew into Dublin Airport last week https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/nearly-11000-people-flew-into-dublin-airport-last-week-1097300.html

even if this is 90% down on last 2 years ago, its probably still not low enough.

People need to travel. Emergencies and commitments don't form an orderly q

• Advertisement

even if this is 90% down on last 2 years ago, its probably still not low enough.

11000 people who tested negative for COVID

Only 40% in a survey this year indicated that they had a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Please remove the Starfleet badge, you are not Starfleet material.

Please remove the Starfleet badge, you are not Starfleet material.

A bit off topic.

11000 people who tested negative for COVID

tested negative before traveling to an airport and getting on a plane traveling to another airport, and traveling to their destination where they could pick up the virus.

were they all emergencies and commitments? we don't know because the gov stopped even asking...

were they all emergencies and commitments? we don't know because the gov stopped even asking...

Many weren't. From a survey back in Jan 60% approx did not give a valid reason and that doesn't count those who weren't telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

even if this is 90% down on 2 years ago, its probably still not low enough.

6,500 of those were returning irish people.

jrosen wrote: »

From what, Holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

From what, Holidays?

Article didnt say. We know people are going on holiday. They have been interviewed at the airport. Then possibly people returning from living abroad.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »

even the people who aren't Irish may be returning from holidays or unnecessary or unwise trips home.

I travelled multiple times and I was never asked. I'm gonna question that statistic

There also wasn't a ban on travel for all of that year either but as I have said to people before, of you limit people to absolutely essential travel only, the won't be enough bookings to justify the flight and people that really do need to travel, won't be able to.

I travelled multiple times and I was never asked. I'm gonna question that statistic
    did you in fill in a form?

did you in fill in a form?

Only the locator form which is confidential and nothing to do with a newspaper article

Only the locator form which is confidential and nothing to do with a newspaper article

so you were asked.

so you were asked.

I don’t remember my locator forms asking for a reason. And I’ve done a good few

I don’t remember my locator forms asking for a reason. And I’ve done a good few

https://assets.gov.ie/73466/930812b993304eae86dcd09e61125cae.pdf

Yeh, it doesn’t ask that question on the online form that you fill in now

Try doing it

Yeh, it doesn’t ask that question on the online form that you fill in now

Try doing it
    state no longer asks passengers if their travel is essential
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-no-longer-asks-passengers-if-their-travel-is-essential-1.4509047

• Advertisement

The fact that before then I don’t even remember answering the question shows just much attention I paid it and therefore how meaningless it was. Might as well take it out if people are just going to tick a random box on a form

Advertisement