Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The fact that before then I don’t even remember answering the question shows just much attention I paid it and therefore how meaningless it was. Might as well take it out if people are just going to tick a random box on a form

If you take that approach with everything there will be no control or data on anything. It shouldn't have been removed I wonder who gave the order to do so?

saabsaab wrote: »
    If you take that approach with everything there will be no control or data on anything. It shouldn't have been removed I wonder who gave the order to do so?

Probable the same person that realised some a pointless question that was for stats shouldnt have been there in the first place. Other countries ask because its relevant within their rules.

FYI, which of them are considered essential and where does 'other' go? For example, 'resident of Ireland' is essential or not? Could have been a holiday, could have been work, could have been lots of stuff.

and if 6500 from 11000 were Irish residents, then how could only 40% be deemed essential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

jrosen wrote: »
    6,500 of those were returning irish people.

Irish citizens or Irish residents?

If Irish residents it would suggest 4,500 non Irish residents coming in...

How on Earth can it be in any acceptable to travel the world at the moment when most of us are stuck in a 5km lockdown! Travel to the airport, mix with others there from God knows where, stuck on an airline then with others then travel to destination and mix with more people on your stay and then repeat it all again in reverse! Has to be a greater risk than keeping it local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

How on Earth can it be in any acceptable to travel the world at the moment when most of us are stuck in a 5km lockdown! Travel to the airport, mix with others there from God knows where, stuck on an airline then with others then travel to destination and mix with more people on your stay and then repeat it all again in reverse! Has to be a greater risk than keeping it local.

Yes, everything other than staying local is a greater risk. Is that a surprise? Life isn't without its risks. Life isn't about staying local. You'll never be in a car crash if you never get in a car.

"mix with others there from God knows where" ... I see a trend in these posts.

• Advertisement

bluelamp wrote: »
    Yes, everything other than staying local is a greater risk. Is that a surprise? Life isn't without its risks. Life isn't about staying local. You'll never be in a car crash if you never get in a car.

"mix with others there from God knows where" ... I see a trend in these posts.

Life is not about increasing risks either especially now when the vaccine is being rolled out. Irresponsible. What trend are you seeing? Red herrings.

Irish citizens or Irish residents?

If Irish residents it would suggest 4,500 non Irish residents coming in...

There are multiple reasons for people to come in that are genuine. My employer flew 2 people in from Switzerland last week to commission a piece of equipment required for essential manufacturing.

There are multiple reasons for people to come in that are genuine. My employer flew 2 people in from Switzerland last week to commission a piece of equipment required for essential manufacturing.

A valid reason,no issue there. The point is that many are not!

Life is not about increasing risks either especially now when the vaccine is being rolled out. Irresponsible. What trend are you seeing? Red herrings.

It absolutely is about increasing risk to an acceptable level from now on, unless you naievly believe that covid isn't going to be a part of life going forward.

Covid is here to stay, staying within 5km of your home can't be.

The trend I'm seeing is a continuous blame on foreign nationals and jurisdictions other than our own.

Northern Ireland, european fruit pickers, Brazilians, meat factories, "British" "South african" "brazilian" variants, airports, direct provision centers etc etc.

"people from God knows where" as you said.

It absolutely is about increasing risk to an acceptable level from now on, unless you naievly believe that covid isn't going to be a part of life going forward.

The trend I'm seeing is a continuous blame on foreign nationals and jurisdictions other than our own.

Northern Ireland, european fruit pickers, Brazilians, meat factories, "British" "South african" "brazilian" variants, airports, direct provision centers etc etc.

Reminds me, we are not too far away from strawberry season again. I am sure there will be queues around the block from Irish residents for the jobs

• Advertisement

It came from abroad and the new variants still come from abroad. If we stay locally it won't get here or even if a case or two did it could be traced/isolated in time if the numbers are very low. There is no good reason for unnecessary travel abroad now.

It came from abroad and the new variants still come from abroad. If we stay locally it won't get here or even if a case or two did it could be traced/isolated in time if the numbers are very low. There is no good reason for unnecessary travel abroad now.

The numbers are not going anywhere now. This is where we are. And will be the same all over Europe. There'll be no further suppression anywhere. What we will have is vaccinations of the vulnerable that will break the link to hospitalisations and deaths, as is clearly evident in the UK.

So life must go on. There will always be new variants. What you propose will never have an end.

Had a friend who flew out of Dublin Airport yesterday on ST Patrick's Day. They had to fly to the UK for the funeral of their father.

They called me to say they had never seen the airport as busy as were scared out of their wits at how busy it was. Also never stopped once or questioned where they were off to during a 3-hour drive from across the country.

So much for tighter controls!

The numbers are not going anywhere now. This is where we are. And will be the same all over Europe. There'll be no further suppression anywhere. What we will have is vaccinations of the vulnerable that will break the link to hospitalisations and deaths, as is clearly evident in the UK.

So life must go on. There will always be new variants. What you propose will never have an end.

Actually the numbers are rising again. Vaccinations should end it and soon. This should include new variants as the world vaccinates and they can't develop and spread. Patience until we get there, probably at the end of June (over 2,000,000 by then).

Had a friend who flew out of Dublin Airport yesterday on ST Patrick's Day. They had to fly to the UK for the funeral of their father.

They called me to say they had never seen the airport as busy as were scared out of their wits at how busy it was. Also never stopped once or questioned where they were off to during a 3-hour drive from across the country.

Crazy.

Collectively, we are done with it. That's pretty much obvious from the volume on the roads and in the parks. Vaccination pace needs to be picked up in response, so that hospital numbers are kept down

My partner came to join me in Valencia a couple of days ago, and there was no police presence at the airport, nor any question as to the reason for her travel.

Never seen it so busy?

Never seen it so busy?

haha. good point! Maybe they haven't flown since the eighties

Collectively, we are done with it. That's pretty much obvious from the volume on the roads and in the parks. Vaccination pace needs to be picked up in response, so that hospital numbers are kept down

My partner came to join me in Valencia a couple of days ago, and there was no police presence at the airport, nor any question as to the reason for her travel.

No, don't know where you're getting that from. Most people are following the guidelines to a large extent. Survey recently showed 83% total or major compliance. Best wait.

The numbers are rising again. Vaccinations are the answer if not we are in trouble. New variants are the main threat but there are those who didn't take notice of this back in Jan and are doing the same again.

• Advertisement

No, don't know where you're getting that from. Most people are following the guidelines to a large extent. Survey recently showed 83% total or major compliance. Best wait.

83% people SAID that are compliant. Very different to actually being compliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

83% people SAID that are compliant. Very different to actually being compliant

Exactly, another factor is everybody comes up with justifications why what they are doing is actually ok, so they still consider themselves compliant but actually aren't

At its peak Dublin airport reaches 100,000 passengers a day.

This week it would probably be less than 2000 a day. So a 98% reduction.

We will just put your friends story in the bullsh*t pile.

DaSilva wrote: »
    Exactly, another factor is everybody comes up with justifications why what they are doing is actually ok, so they still consider themselves compliant but actually aren't

I doubt that many are 100% compliant in all respects but it shows there is still strong support for the lockdown. Why rush things now? Do we really want to repeat Christmas?

Yeah, thats an outright lie.

There was less than 15 flights into Dublin on Wednesday for the entire 24 hour period. Only ten going out. thats less than 5000 passengers in the entire day and under 2000 outgoing

There was a checkpoint at departures in both terminal 1 and terminal 2. Immigration at the security area and 4 Gardai on the beat inside the building.

5,000 in one day! We are trying to drain the bath and instead of turning off the taps we are opening them up further. I thought people would get sense after Christmas.

5,000 in one day! We are trying to drain the bath and instead of turning off the taps we are opening them up further. I thought people would get sense after Christmas.

Thats a possible max, Im presuming all flights were full. DAA might release the numbers, I dunno. You did see the post above that mentioned 100 thousand per day being the normal right? We are at 5%!

Also, as has been pointed out, theres plenty of reasons to travel by air, especially when you live on an island

Thats a possible max, Im presuming all flights were full. DAA might release the numbers, I dunno. You did see the post above that mentioned 100 thousand per day being the normal right? We are at 5%!

Also, as has been pointed out, theres plenty of reasons to travel by air, especially when you live on an island

Not many good reasons at the moment. Other reasons can wait until the vaccines.

Not many good reasons at the moment. Other reasons can wait until the vaccines.

Well thats really just your opinion isnt it? I would disagree

• Advertisement

Well thats really just your opinion isnt it? I would disagree

Just me? Hardly, I would say that I'm thankfully in the majority on this. Just look at the poll on this thread 85% in favour of greater control.

Advertisement